Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Max's visions being implied-supernatural premonitions is a thing. He raises his hand in time to block the bolt that would have killed him because of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mulderman posted:

I don't know if it's been brought up before but the only thing I did find kinda odd was how no-one tried to claim Immortan Joe's base while he was out chasing Furiosa.
You'd figure one of the local crews would jump on this opportunity straight away. That biker gang even see Joe and his crew go through the passageway.

There's not much they could do if they tried. The Citadel is so defensible because it's built into a massive rock tower that requires either an elevator (controlled by Joe's men) or some fancy rock climbing commando bullshit to get in.

This is also why Furiosa and crew aren't in that much danger if the Gastown and Bullet Farm boys show up to try and kick her out. She can just sit in the Citadel all she wants with unlimited water and food while the besieging army starves itself out.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
Who exactly were the people who were all-fours on stilts?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Merdifex posted:

Awesome.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Am I remembering wrong in that Mad Max's daughter does the raised hand thing in one of those split-second flashbacks?

If she doesn't, I'd still like to think that's why Max does it. It's a very emotive gesture.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

no poo poo, but until someone informs otherwise, in my headcanon it was some crazy dreamtime poo poo. The movie could have used some more crazy dreamtime poo poo IMO

EDIT: Like, i seriously think that adding a few elements of the supernatural would have been awesome

Merdifex fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 1, 2015

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It was just vagrants using stilts to navigate the swamp and presumably scavenge for food or crows to eat. There are weird human tribes all over the region.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Merdifex posted:

EDIT: Like, i seriously think that adding a few elements of the supernatural would have been awesome

That would have been awful, what is wrong with you?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Neo Rasa posted:

Interestingly, the idea with Rictus/etc.'s breathing apparatus is that it started as a medical thing but became a status thing. Like the son used as the villain for the upcoming game and Corpus Colossus have it not because they need oxygen but because all of the "royalty" gets to breathe "pure" air. Another way an aspect of Immortant's fragility is inverted to be a part of their mythology. This was according to a Miller and whoever did earlier comics in an article I read about either those comics or the game or something.

That's cool. It's like a crown, but a big fuckin' badass metal skullmask with air filter.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

moths posted:

Two minutes into the film, the girl goes under Joe's lift kit the same way Valkyrie saved the old gun grandma. Doof Wagon is clearly visible.

Max is either having premonitions or remembering things that haven't happened yet.

Or maybe he's seen this big warparty before. Maybe that's Furiousa?

Ugh no, it's his daughter. She even says "Let's go pa!" later on in the movie. It's just Miller playing fast and loose with the canon because he doesn't give a poo poo about things connecting so much as whatever's interesting at the time. Miller said Fury Road is a "revisiting" of the MM world, so it makes sense that poo poo doesn't connect. Because it doesn't have to.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
I'm setting it for the second time today and I am

so stoked

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Ugh no, it's his daughter. She even says "Let's go pa!" later on in the movie. It's just Miller playing fast and loose with the canon because he doesn't give a poo poo about things connecting so much as whatever's interesting at the time. Miller said Fury Road is a "revisiting" of the MM world, so it makes sense that poo poo doesn't connect. Because it doesn't have to.

Nope. The girl calls him 'Max', it's another voice who calls him 'pa' and you don't see who is speaking.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Ugh no, it's his daughter.

You have to discount a lot of information in that first scene for that reading to work.

I'm specifically talking about the Doof Wagon, Joe's monster truck, and People Eater's rig being in that vision's convoy and hitting the girl in the exact way it misses Valkyrie and the old lady.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

You have to discount a lot of information in that first scene for that reading to work.

I'm specifically talking about the Doof Wagon, Joe's monster truck, and People Eater's rig being in that vision's convoy and hitting the girl in the exact way it misses Valkyrie and the old lady.

None of those things actually discount that, though.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

EmptyVessel posted:

Nope. The girl calls him 'Max', it's another voice who calls him 'pa' and you don't see who is speaking.

I'm pretty confident it's the same voice, and you see the girl appear out on the flats.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

According to the backstory, Glory is not Max's daughter. But maybe she took to calling him Pa after he saved her, who knows. Only way to really be sure is see if that voice is credited to the same actor who played Glory.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

According to the backstory, Glory is not Max's daughter. But maybe she took to calling him Pa after he saved her, who knows. Only way to really be sure is see if that voice is credited to the same actor who played Glory.

Yeah, this is true, but I also give zero shits about some expanded universe backstory. And I don't care if it's all based on George Miller's notes, people who keep good creative notes write down lots of ideas that don't end up being good.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Snak posted:

None of those things actually discount that, though.

Max's daughter was killed two hours into the movie?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Do you mean minutes? Because when we see the vision of the little girl, it's a loving vision/flashback. Presumably, this movie is not the only time a big war band has been formed. Do you really think that, in the language of cinema in general, recurring imagery being use where thematically appropriate constitutes some literal meta-truth about the universe the story is taking place in? Max's daughter/Glory is not the Valkyrie.

But you don't have to discount anything in the film to interpret Glory as Max's daughter. The only things discounting this is interpretation are external to the movie itself.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

So apparently an anime movie focused on Furiosa was supposed to be released alongside Fury Road, titled Mad Max: Furiosa, naturally. It got canned for what I'm sure was a :mediocre: reason, and as a fan of violent as gently caress '80s/'90s anime movies I would have loved to have seen it. Some art leaked from the cancelled project and really did look awesome. Oh well :(

Images taken from this untranslated video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEA7OpxAUXk

source: http://geektyrant.com/news/art-from-the-cancelled-mad-max-fury-road-anime

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

moths posted:

The face of the guy who later crossbows Max also flashes during the vision where he raises his hand. I don't think it's meant to imply that Max has some sort of future vision, it's just a stylistic choice. It makes the movie rhyme more, like poetry.

We can assume that the little girl is dead. She may or may not have been run down, it doesn't matter, the vision of Joe's convoy running her down like all the visions isn't meant to be literal, they're just feverish dreams that incorporate his past with his present and sometimes, interestingly, his future.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Bear in mind with all of this that Max is literally insane and suffers from acute PTSD and likely a whole host of other mental illnesses.

All of the visions could be premonitions, or they could all be literal memories, but either way he's a pretty unreliable source.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Thump! posted:

Bear in mind with all of this that Max is literally insane

The series is called "Mad Max" for a reason.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Thump! posted:

Bear in mind with all of this that Max is literally insane

but I thought he wasn't crazy anymore..?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Merdifex posted:

Later on we hear the Vulvalini talk about how the Green Place went bad because the water turned poison and nothing would grow. The women left, and became the Vulvalini. The men stayed and became the crow-things.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Network Pesci posted:

Later on we hear the Vulvalini talk about how the Green Place went bad because the water turned poison and nothing would grow. The women left, and became the Vulvalini. The men stayed and became the crow-things.

Because that's what men do.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
They were actually just stuck there because they wouldn't ask for directions.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Merdifex posted:

no poo poo, but until someone informs otherwise, in my headcanon it was some crazy dreamtime poo poo. The movie could have used some more crazy dreamtime poo poo IMO

I believe they are called Sky Fishers, they use stilts to avoid stepping in the mud and it is assumed they "fish" for the crows that live there.

Adding supernatural poo poo to Mad Max would destroy it, your opinions are awful.

Stop that.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

EmptyVessel posted:

this is the most insane fury road theory to date and is somehow crazier for how utterly inconsequential it is. Max, driven all through the movie by guilt visions of a little girl he 'let die' at the hands of road bandits, is finally convinced to fix what's broken and risk his life to save the women from the road bandits once and for all by a slightly different spectral child who appears immediately after the first one, says one line, and is never referenced before or since because Max's child must be male

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

this is the most insane fury road theory to date and is somehow crazier for how utterly inconsequential it is. Max, driven all through the movie by guilt visions of a little girl he 'let die' at the hands of road bandits, is finally convinced to fix what's broken and risk his life to save the women from the road bandits once and for all by a slightly different spectral child who appears immediately after the first one, says one line, and is never referenced before or since because Max's child must be male

The identity of the child doesn't matter one way or the other. Whether he was calling him papa because they were related or she was using it as a term of affection. It doesn't matter. Now can we talk about something else, like that there's a guy in the movie whose only job is to swing from a pole and kill people with a strimmer?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Snowman_McK posted:

The identity of the child doesn't matter one way or the other. Whether he was calling him papa because they were related or she was using it as a term of affection. It doesn't matter. Now can we talk about something else, like that there's a guy in the movie whose only job is to swing from a pole and kill people with a strimmer?

That guy's probably a junior assistant fat lady milker this is just his day off

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

That guy's probably a junior assistant fat lady milker this is just his day off

He was from Gastown. Take this seriously, man. :cmon:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I assumed those ghosts were in reference to something that happened in one of the previous movies. I only ever saw Mad Max 2 though.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I assumed those ghosts were in reference to something that happened in one of the previous movies. I only ever saw Mad Max 2 though.

It's more like the Conan stories, which constantly reference other adventures. Some of them are in other Conan stories, but plenty aren't.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I said come in! posted:

It could be interpreted as a minor rewrite of the events of Mad Max 1, where he starts as a family man cop out in the boondocks and is turned into a crazy roaming vigilante when his wife and child are run down by bikers. Otherwise no kids or people not dressed in old tires and football padding are killed in any of the Mad Max movies.

Snowman_McK posted:

He was from Gastown. Take this seriously, man. :cmon:

just because the people eater imports lady milk doesn't mean he doesn't have a domestic cottage industry going too. If I had one complaint about this movie it is that the nuances of the people milk triangle trade are insufficiently explored to form any meaningful conclusions

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 2, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It could be interpreted as a minor rewrite of the events of Mad Max 1, where he starts as a family man cop out in the desert and is turned into a crazy roaming vigilante when his wife and child are run down by bikers. Otherwise no kids or people not dressed in old tires and football padding are killed in any of the Mad Max movies.

In Mad Max 1, did the apocalypse already happen? I'm only vaguely familiar with the plot. I really should track down the Australian version.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I said come in! posted:

In Mad Max 1, did the apocalypse already happen? I'm only vaguely familiar with the plot. I really should track down the Australian version.

:shrug:

There's some semblance of society but it's kinda a hosed up one, and no explicit reference to the world going to poo poo in a big way. The first movie's a hell of a lot closer to Death Wish or one of the other 70s vigilante movies than the leather-codpiece science fiction it became in The Road Warrior.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
In countries that have actually had societal collapses, it's not a binary "society together/society fallen apart" thing. It happens gradually over the course of months or years.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

I said come in! posted:

It hadn't yet, but it was already well on the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Snowman_McK posted:

In countries that have actually had societal collapses, it's not a binary "society together/society fallen apart" thing. It happens gradually over the course of months or years.

In countries that have actually had societal collapses there still hasn't been a global nuclear war, and there's not exactly much of a logical progression from normal reasonable life to man in a codpiece and a hockey mask ordering his theme raiders to kamikaze charge a fortified oil pump from atop his murder forklift

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 2, 2015

• Locked thread