Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think more directors should rip off Mad Max. Like, we could totally do a Canadian Mad Max, with huge snowmobile chases and fights over frozen lakes and poo poo. We could even do it low budget like the early ones.

"My name is Max. My world is fire and eh."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Snowman_McK posted:

That, to me, was the thing that I always remembered when SMG brought up the "people don't know why they like things" idea. The Star Wars prequels were criticised for using CGI, LOTR was a real film for using miniatures. Star Wars used heaps of miniatures. I kind of know the divide that those fans are trying to identify, but gently caress they did a terrible job of quantifying it.

It's basically like complaining about all the horrible CGI in this image, from the last page

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If you think about it, a computer IS generating that image as we speak. As you look at it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

MMAgCh posted:

I'd buy the hell out of a Peter Jackson-style extended edition of Fury Road with several hours of "behind the scenes" features and the like. But it seems doubtful whether they shot that much footage while making the film.
I was 100% hoping for something like this.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'd buy Fury Road again even if it were just a different slip cover or a steelbook. The people who made this movie need to have as much of my money as possible.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's basically like complaining about all the horrible CGI in this image, from the last page

Shush.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Basebf555 posted:

I'd buy Fury Road again even if it were just a different slip cover or a steelbook. The people who made this movie need to have as much of my money as possible.

Buy the game, the soundtrack, and especially the art book. You can't go wrong with any of those.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Just mail George Miller your life savings.

AV Club had a nice article today on the car chase from Bullit, I ended up watching a bit of it on YouTube for old times' sake. Would love to see Miller's take on a vehicle chase through a crowded area/streets vs. a huge desert. The same kinetic energy in a more constrained and busy environment.

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.

Astrofig posted:

"My name is Max. My world is fire and eh."

"The duct tape, the precious duct tape, was hidden in the vehicles."

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
"I'm just here for the maple syrup."

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
He's just a hoser who eats poutine!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Immortan Doug: [driving GigaMoose] "Sorry."

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I shall zamboni you to the gates of Saskatoon, where you will skate forever, polite and fully insured.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yesss. :allears:

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

(War Gordie charging into battle)

WITNESS ME PLEASE!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

*watches Nux trip and fall due to the chain on his wrist*

"Ah, Nickelback!"

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Why is it earlier in the movie one of the warboys says "Witness me" and jumps on the pointy car with two boom sticks and went out historic and all the other warboys celebrate his awesome exit by shouting "Mediocre!"

Then later Nux trips and disappoints Immortan Joe who says, "Bah, mediocre."

So is "mediocre" praise, or a diss?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
It is a diss. The only War Boy who actually shouts it after Morsov's death is Slit, who is being either sarcastic or a dick.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Yeah Slit is just a total dick the entire movie. When Morsov does his awesome double bang-stick death jump, most of the War Boys yell "Witness!" Slit tries to steal Morsov's thunder by throwing his own bomb spear right before Morsov connects, and then downplays Morsov's awesomeness by calling him mediocre.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

Yeah Slit is just a total dick the entire movie. When Morsov does his awesome double bang-stick death jump, most of the War Boys yell "Witness!" Slit tries to steal Morsov's thunder by throwing his own bomb spear right before Morsov connects, and then downplays Morsov's awesomeness by calling him mediocre.

And all the other War Boys ignore him and carry on their witnessing, like "oh it's Slit being a poo poo again." :rolleyes:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Slit is a dickhead and usually tries to make himself look cool by making other people look shittier. In this case, by killstealing from Morsov, who is a cool guy. The other Warboys parrot him because they're Warboys and that's what they do best (also because it was legit kind of cool, in a dickhead kind of way). Think smaller goons going 'lol' while a bigger goon fucks up a pubbie (and a medium sized goon in the process).

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MMAgCh posted:

It is a diss. The only War Boy who actually shouts it after Morsov's death is Slit, who is being either sarcastic or a dick.

Ahh, gotcha. I didn't realize it was just the one.

I like that, though... feels realistic that buzzkill dickheads exist within the warboys, too.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Silt's side story is the perfect antithesis for Nux's tale of redemption.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Slit is a dickhead and usually tries to make himself look cool by making other people look shittier. In this case, by killstealing from Morsov, who is a cool guy. The other Warboys parrot him because they're Warboys and that's what they do best (also because it was legit kind of cool, in a dickhead kind of way). Think smaller goons going 'lol' while a bigger goon fucks up a pubbie (and a medium sized goon in the process).

But they don't.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
The society of the Citadel is objectively "bad" by our standards. Slavery, child soldiers, and the like are "bad" things. However within their society, these things are good and righteous. Hanging a dude upside down and draining his blood isn't some psycho serial killer poo poo to the War Boys, it's Tuesday. Slit is necessary to show the viewer that there are "good" and "bad" people in their society. Slit and Nux are basically postapocalyptic Goofus and Gallant. Goofus tries to advance himself by tearing down the achievements of others. Gallant witnesses when his friends die historic.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think more directors should rip off Mad Max. Like, we could totally do a Canadian Mad Max, with huge snowmobile chases and fights over frozen lakes and poo poo. We could even do it low budget like the early ones.

Not snowmobiles, Zambonis.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Schwarzwald posted:

Not snowmobiles, Zambonis.

Coma Doof Zamboni Mountie would be the highlight of the movie.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Instead of guzzoline they fight over maple syrup from the strategic reserve.

No, I didn't make that up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federation_of_Quebec_Maple_Syrup_Producers#Strategic_reserve

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Doof Zamboni blasting "Takin' Care of Business"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Excuse me, there's only one Canadian song appropriate for the situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpE6ZNo1Duk

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

George Miller interviewed on NPR's Fresh Air. Sadly, Terry Gross didn't do the interview herself, but she does read a synopsis of the film which was :perfect:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
That interview reminds me of how I kind of hate how the press release images that were released for Fury Road were all of the pre-production olive-tint crap, that looks no where near as good as the finished product. Makes me kinda sad.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

howe_sam posted:

George Miller interviewed on NPR's Fresh Air. Sadly, Terry Gross didn't do the interview herself, but she does read a synopsis of the film which was :perfect:

This is great thanks

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
This is way late, but about 500 posts ago I talked about how I bought Fury Road on Blu-Ray the last time I went home to visit primarily to show it to my film geek father and how he was blown away by it. This happened at about 8 AM on a Saturday. In the middle of the climactic chase back to the citadel, my five year old son (whose usual interests are Lightning McQueen and any/all dinosaurs) woke up, wandered into the living room, cuddled up with me on the couch and started drowsily watching the movie. Remembering that there is very little foul language and only a couple very quick shots of any graphic violence, I decide to proceed with the awesome car movie. He's half asleep anyway, what's the harm?

Two days later I'm driving around with my kids in the back seat and my wife riding shotgun. I pull over so she can jump out to use the ATM, and notice an armored car parked in front of us. Knowing my son likes cars, I begin telling him how it's a car that's built to be tough and bulletproof so robbers can't get the money inside. His very first question.

"Like in Mad Max?"

Thank you, son, for not ratting me out in front of your mother. And for being loving awesome :3:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think you mean your kid is :perfect:

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Noticed today that during the Buzzard attack scene, when the Buzzard's big-rig comes out of the dust and smoke, it makes a very animalistic growling sound. It really makes me appreciate how the vehicles feel like their own characters.

As a side note, I've found that yelling "Witness me!" while trying to push a car out of the snow seems to make the car move easier.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The Zombie Guy posted:

Noticed today that during the Buzzard attack scene, when the Buzzard's big-rig comes out of the dust and smoke, it makes a very animalistic growling sound. It really makes me appreciate how the vehicles feel like their own characters.

Or how the War Rig takes a deep breath after plowing sand everywhere during 'Brother's in Arms'. Such a cool little edit.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Or how the War Rig takes a deep breath after plowing sand everywhere during 'Brother's in Arms'. Such a cool little edit.

Every time I rewatch Fury Road, I pick up a new detail that I had missed before during the non-stop 'peel your eyelids back and inject pure awesomeness into your retina' phase. For example, after Max and Furiosa's fight next to the War Rig, when they're reluctantly teamed up, the background music (aptly called 'The Rig' on the soundtrack) actually has a beat undertone similar to the ignition cycle of a big-block V8.

I can gush for days about the movie's visuals and spectacle, but the soundtrack really stands out as well; There's been more than one occasion where I've listened to the soundtrack while driving, and can see, with exceptional clarity, the exact scene in the movie that the track is at. I honestly can't think of any other movie that's done that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sel Nar posted:

Every time I rewatch Fury Road, I pick up a new detail that I had missed before during the non-stop 'peel your eyelids back and inject pure awesomeness into your retina' phase. For example, after Max and Furiosa's fight next to the War Rig, when they're reluctantly teamed up, the background music (aptly called 'The Rig' on the soundtrack) actually has a beat undertone similar to the ignition cycle of a big-block V8.

I can gush for days about the movie's visuals and spectacle, but the soundtrack really stands out as well; There's been more than one occasion where I've listened to the soundtrack while driving, and can see, with exceptional clarity, the exact scene in the movie that the track is at. I honestly can't think of any other movie that's done that.

"Brothers in Arms" is the best for that because it's a relatively short scene compared to the first and final chases, so one song of average length can encompass the whole thing. You can tell exactly when Big Foot is climbing the rocks, or when the motorcycles line up in formation for a charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Pretty sure they say "Mediocre Buzzards." Buzzards being the attacking group. So a diss against the attackers that the suicide bomber took out. Did I hear wrong?

• Locked thread