Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Helsing posted:

I still find it amusing that they didn't even give the Fury Road soundtrack a nomination and yet they nominated John Williams for the Force Awakens.

I felt the same way, there was no way anyone but Morricone was going to win this year, but a nomination would've been nice.

VideoTapir posted:

If you haven't watched them already, here's Junkie XL talking about the Fury Road soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkNeXS0Lmxc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFHIBo3d4Rw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyPZzCmdFtE

I've posted this before, but Grantland (RIP) did a fantastic profile on Holkenberg and talked about crafting the Fury Road score in great detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Helsing posted:

The only criticism I can think of is that putting "chapter doof" and "brothers in arms" onto a Highway Driving playlist has probably made me a less safe driver.

As soon as Chapter Doof starts playing I just floor the gas on reflex it never fails

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Finally watched the Blu Ray, and it held my interest, this being my 6th viewing. One detail I finally noticed: Max gets Nux a replacement boot.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I watched it again while sobering up on Saturday morning.

I think that the final chase sequence is one of the best pieces of film making I've seen in a long time. For me I think that it's going to be one of those sequences that, no matter how many times I've seen it, I'm going to be completely on the edge of my seat as if this time they just might not be able to pull it off.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

As soon as Chapter Doof starts playing I just floor the gas on reflex it never fails

If you haven't done something at least slightly illegal/dangerous as a result of listening to the soundtrack in your car than gtfo of this thread.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms
Hey guys, this is the thread where I post my :mediocre: Fury Road music video right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_bMSJmlaLU

In my mind the War Boys were the protagonists of the movie and only listen to metal.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Why cookie Rocket posted:

If you haven't done something at least slightly illegal/dangerous as a result of listening to the soundtrack in your car than gtfo of this thread.

I don't drive, checkmate

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
You will never die historic on the fury road.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Skellybones posted:

You will never die historic on the fury road.

Valhalla is the point here. If you don't drive the gates of Valhalla will forever remain closed to you.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
You would probably also qualify if your primary method of transportation was sneaking rides by hanging on to the underside of semi trailers.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

You would probably also qualify if your primary method of transportation was sneaking rides by hanging on to the underside of semi trailers.

Are lice and other vermin allowed into Valhalla? I don't think so.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I don't drive, checkmate

Rowing at Ramming Speed would probably be acceptable.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

After months of me bothering him, my father finally watched Fury Road. His response: "It was ok, but I wouldn't watch it again."

Feels terrible to know that my father is :mediocre: :(

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I'm sorry to hear that the gates of Valhalla will remain forever barred to your father.

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH

The Zombie Guy posted:

After months of me bothering him, my father finally watched Fury Road. His response: "It was ok, but I wouldn't watch it again."

What did he think of Inception? I have a feeling the Venn diagram of "Inception is mindbendingly convoluted" and "Fury Road is just a chase there and back again" is a pretty much perfect circle.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The Zombie Guy posted:

Everyone I know who has said something like that is an idiot who has poor taste in movies and thinks Star Wars is the pinnacle of moviemaking.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
The only person I've run into like that lately was one of my wife's coworkers. He hated Fury Road and almost immediately proceeded to talk about how Batman v Superman was actually one of the greatest films ever made.

He's kind of a weird guy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The only person I've run into like that lately was one of my wife's coworkers. He hated Fury Road and almost immediately proceeded to talk about how Batman v Superman was actually one of the greatest films ever made.

He's kind of a weird guy.

Was his name Bizarro?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Was his name Bizarro?

His name was Chadwick which should tell you a lot right there

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

His name was Chadwick which should tell you a lot right there

please dont doxx the ultimate killing machine

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Batman v Superman

One of the worst movies I've ever paid to see at a cinema.

I would rather watch Spider-Man 3 again, because at least that one was perversely entertaining.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I seem to be one of the few people to enjoy MMFR that I know of. I've heard stuff from "cool action but not the greatest thing ever" to "no script whatsoever". Yeah the film was light on words, but it was doing more with images, and still had a better/clearer message than half the blockbusters going around these days.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Serperoth posted:

I seem to be one of the few people to enjoy MMFR that I know of. I've heard stuff from "cool action but not the greatest thing ever" to "no script whatsoever". Yeah the film was light on words, but it was doing more with images, and still had a better/clearer message than half the blockbusters going around these days.

Miller likes to direct these movies like silent films.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Serperoth posted:

I've come across plenty of people who didn't like Fury Road, but zero of them are people I consider to have good taste in movies. Its mostly people over 50 or people who just aren't into movies at all outside of maybe occasionally going to see a Star Wars or Avengers type thing.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Basebf555 posted:

I've come across plenty of people who didn't like Fury Road, but zero of them are people I consider to have good taste in movies. Its mostly people over 50 or people who just aren't into movies at all outside of maybe occasionally going to see a Star Wars or Avengers type thing.

Yea, on of my co-workers got mad that it was called mad max when Furiosa did most of the fighting (what the gently caress?). He generally doesn't like movies and the only TV show he watches compulsively is Shark Tank. Some people are just weird.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I know someone who straight up doesn't like movies and hates every movie they've ever seen and even they were like "Fury Road is pretty good."

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Angrymantium posted:

Yea, on of my co-workers got mad that it was called mad max when Furiosa did most of the fighting (what the gently caress?). He generally doesn't like movies and the only TV show he watches compulsively is Shark Tank. Some people are just weird.

In all fairness, if you didnt know it was a sequel I can see being confused that the psycho bloodbag that just tells Furiosa to stop running from her problems gets title billing over the pivotal protagonist.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's also a good amount of people who have been conditioned to expect a certain structure in an action movie because they haven't really seen anything even a little bit outside the mainstream for many years. So Fury Road comes along and it gets a shitload of attention, so it becomes mainstream enough that these people seek it out and watch it. But Fury Road just throws the audience into a fully formed world and expects them to pick up on important pieces of plot information along the way. A lot of people become disoriented and a third of the way through the movie they're asking themselves what this character's deal is, or what that line was supposed to mean, or who this guy is or why is he fighting these other guys.

For instance, its a long time before we're actually given any expository dialogue about the Warboys other than some cryptic conversations they have amongst themselves at the beginning. A lot of people are uncomfortable with the idea that there's these weird guys in white makeup that fight for this warlord but we aren't told exactly why they look like that or why they say all that bizarre poo poo that doesn't make much sense on first viewing.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

That reminds me, I need to ask the dude who liked Batman vs. Superman if he's seen it :getin: Same dude who does the old "What do you mean TFA is the 7th film? There had only been three before it (the OT) wink wink" thing, if that gives a picture of his tastes..

Not sure how it explains my dad's taste though, but that's not quite set in stone anyway so hey, what can you do.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

please dont doxx the ultimate killing machine

SMG's real name is Chadwick, and he works with Zakharov's wife?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

MrMojok posted:

SMG's real name is Chadwick, and he works with Zakharov's wife?

Holy gently caress don't even joke about that.

Basebf555 posted:

There's also a good amount of people who have been conditioned to expect a certain structure in an action movie because they haven't really seen anything even a little bit outside the mainstream for many years. So Fury Road comes along and it gets a shitload of attention, so it becomes mainstream enough that these people seek it out and watch it. But Fury Road just throws the audience into a fully formed world and expects them to pick up on important pieces of plot information along the way. A lot of people become disoriented and a third of the way through the movie they're asking themselves what this character's deal is, or what that line was supposed to mean, or who this guy is or why is he fighting these other guys.

For instance, its a long time before we're actually given any expository dialogue about the Warboys other than some cryptic conversations they have amongst themselves at the beginning. A lot of people are uncomfortable with the idea that there's these weird guys in white makeup that fight for this warlord but we aren't told exactly why they look like that or why they say all that bizarre poo poo that doesn't make much sense on first viewing.

There's definitely something to this. My father had a real rough time at the start of the film, the discussion basically went:

"Where is this supposed to be?"
"Just somewhere in Australia, kinda implied to be Northern Australia."
"I've been to Northern Australia and they didn't have any giant skull mountains!"
"The bad guy carved/built it with his army."
"How!? It's post apocalyptic I thought!"
"The same way ancient Egyptians build the Pyramids."
"Huh...I don't know..."

He was fine once the cars started smashing around though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
The first time I saw the movie in theaters I went with my dad and one of my friends, and my dad walked out within the first 20 minutes.

My friend and I didn't know what the gently caress

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The first time I saw the movie in theaters I went with my dad and one of my friends, and my dad walked out within the first 20 minutes.

My friend and I didn't know what the gently caress

You were adopted.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Holy gently caress don't even joke about that.

There's definitely something to this. My father had a real rough time at the start of the film, the discussion basically went:

"I've been to Northern Australia and they didn't have any giant skull mountains!"

Your father never saw Northern territories famous Giant skull mountains range? Built entirely by drunken bogans during weekends during the 80's listening to AC/DC and Cold Chisel and they are largely consider the 8th wonder of the world!

If you want to visit them though you do want to ware shoes due to excessive amount of empty beer cans littered around them.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Ehud posted:

Everyone I know who has said something like that is an idiot who has poor taste in movies and thinks Star Wars is the pinnacle of moviemaking.

Everyone who said Fury Road was OK is an idiot?

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

They release the black and white version yet?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Apeshit Sixfingers posted:

They release the black and white version yet?

nah

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Well gently caress.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Some days I get to thinking about Fury Road and it's like Jaws or Star Wars came out and no one really even noticed. This should've been in theaters for a year. I should be serving my kids Fury Road breakfast cereal. Hot Wheels should have a line of "not officially branded Fury Road cars but aping the aesthetic to cash in on the immense popularity" cars. I should be sick to death of hearing the soundtrack everywhere I go. There are a lot of movies I love that I understand why they aren't more popular, but with Fury Road it's just surreal that it isn't a much much bigger deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It's strange that you equate artistic success with merchandise.

• Locked thread