Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Blind Sally posted:

Pretty sure Co-Pilot dies in the Thunderdome novelization. Ironbar never dies. Ironbar is immortal. :colbert:

My mistake, it was Gekko, not Co-pilot. Ah well, I was rattling off a lot of this info on the fly, I was bound to stuff something up.

But here is a scan of the page from the MMBT: :dong:The Storybook:dong: (yes, I know)
Not only does it base it off the original script, there is also a still from the scene!

I hope everyone comes away from these posts a little wiser!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

ChickenMedium posted:

Every time I see this I get mad at the idiot dickhead editor who thought "Farewell to Arm" was such a great joke he had to stick it right on the cover.

A stupid robot arm deserves a stupid joke.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The concept art rules, but it is not Brendan Mccarthy, who was announced as the co-writer and designer a long time ago. Still, the Mccarthy's style is all over these pictures.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

The concept art rules, but it is not Brendan Mccarthy, who was announced as the co-writer and designer a long time ago. Still, the Mccarthy's style is all over these pictures.

This lot was done by Peter Pound. I don't know him but I am looking his stuff up.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Man even if this movie ends up being terrible, it's gonna be a great watch just for the richness of the design.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Some new stills!

This opens up some plot ideas for me, anyway.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

The Bullet Farmer (Richard Carter) who runs the Bullet Farm, seems these guys have all the guns and poo poo.

Goddamn, I was sure this was a Tropic Thunder reference for a moment there.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
In regards to Mad Max-ish movies, has anyone brought up the film adaptation of Tank Girl? I know it's pretty goofy, but that didn't stop Six-String Samurai from being amazing, either.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I ended up rewatching The Cars That Ate Paris and Deadend Drive-In and I'm convinced that any Australian post-apocalypse film, from Mad Max to The Rover can take place at the exact time, regardless when it was actually filmed. With the exception of the later Mad Max films where it's explicitly stated as a nuclear war, pretty much all of them have the same weird environmental/governmental/cultural collapse similarities that it's hard to see them not be the same continuity.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Young Freud posted:

I ended up rewatching The Cars That Ate Paris and Deadend Drive-In and I'm convinced that any Australian post-apocalypse film, from Mad Max to The Rover can take place at the exact time, regardless when it was actually filmed. With the exception of the later Mad Max films where it's explicitly stated as a nuclear war, pretty much all of them have the same weird environmental/governmental/cultural collapse similarities that it's hard to see them not be the same continuity.

Don't forget Turkey Shoot!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Smoke Em If You've Got 'Em is another in that subgenre, but it's a short film. Oddly, it's one of the few where there is explicitly a nuclear war.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
How about a post-apocalyptic neo-noir new-wave mash-up? Go watch Radioactive Dreams, is what I'm saying.

Great Rumbler fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 21, 2014

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

New image! Click for HUUUUUUGE.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Goddamn can I ever buy Tom Hardy as Max.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
Dude has a versatile face. I re-watched Bronson not long ago, and I still had problem recognising him in it even after watching a bunch of his other movies inbetween.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
This reminds me of those unlucky sods in Mad Max 2.

I loved how they disappeared from the film after they were captured and tied up, only to reappear about two seconds before their heads were smashed into the back of the tanker. It really sold the suddenness and violence of the impact.

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
SDCC poster

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Beaten to CC poster, dang.

But I have another huge picture to add, so open this in another window for detail!

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

New image! Click for HUUUUUUGE.

I like his little bundle of string. In a post-apocalyptic wasteland you can never have too much string

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Caustic posted:

SDCC poster

The Interceptor is back? YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!

(I am sooooo going to have a joygasm if it still has the air clutch to engage the supercharger. Best movie car ever)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aussie ford baby!

Erethizon_dorsatum
Nov 14, 2009
Just saw Mad Max for the first time. I've seen parts of Road Warrior and Thunderdome but not the whole things so I think I might order the trilogy in the OP.

Did anyone else think Hugh Keays-Byrne was actually kinda cute as the Toecutter? I think it's the hair.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Toecutter is one of the greatest villains ever put to screen.

Erethizon_dorsatum
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah. Bubba Zanetti is also scary as hell.

Well, I just ordered the trilogy. Can't wait til it gets here!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Erethizon_dorsatum posted:

Yeah. Bubba Zanetti is also scary as hell.

Well, I just ordered the trilogy. Can't wait til it gets here!

Road Warrior is an incredible technical production for a movie where most of the stunt people and crew were bikers they paid with cases of beer. No one died during the making of the film but it was a rumor to the point of actually being listed on some home video releases that nine people were killed while making the movie.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Did anyone else think Hugh Keays-Byrne was actually kinda cute as the Toecutter? I think it's the hair.

It was the single shave eyebrow and shifting accent, imo. Also, Bubba Zanetti was scary enough to influence the creation of a Mega Man villain. Not many action movie characters can say that.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Don't forget Turkey Shoot!

Didn't mean to, but yeah. I was going to include Stone in the generic Ozpocalypse as well, even though it was set in then-modern Australia, just because the opening concentrates heavily on the pollution angle with close-ups of beach closings and the assassination of an anti-pollution protesting professor. Also,

You're in luck, because Keays-Byrne is a central character in Stone, playing the second-in-command of the biker gang.

Also, he cleans up real good playing the City nobleman who forced Rutger Hauer into exile in The Blood Of Heroes.

Blind Sally posted:

It was the single shave eyebrow and shifting accent, imo. Also, Bubba Zanetti was scary enough to influence the creation of a Mega Man villain. Not many action movie characters can say that.

The only other one I can think of is Romero from Escape From New York, who inspired the early versions of Two P and J in Final Fight.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 26, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
ECW's Raven stole the Toecutter look directly, down to the mascara and shock of white. Speaking of Hugh-Keays Byrne, wasn't there some famous role he narrowly missed out on? I swear I read that recently.

Erethizon_dorsatum
Nov 14, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions, Young Freud. I'll check those out.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cross-postin' from the Movie Posters thread...

Vagabundo posted:

Oh my god, shut up you nerds.

Mad Max: Fury Road character posters are out.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Is he wearing an ear piece? Why does that bother me? Why is it so important he only has 16 lines of dialogue? Jesus, I hope this movie is good and not just complete empty pandering like some other things brought back from nostalgia.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 27, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I dunno, their post-apocalyptic society has rebuilt enough that they can create such advanced technology like a robot arm for Charlize Theron and a custom-skull-shaped breathing mask for Hugh Keays-Byrne. At that point, an earpiece seems like a small-fry kinda thing. I'm still hoping that it isn't just some nostalgic pandering throw-back myself, but I trust the good doctor to deliver on a quality film.

Also, where did you hear he only has 16 lines of dialogue? That's news to me! Got a source?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

ECW's Raven stole the Toecutter look directly, down to the mascara and shock of white. Speaking of Hugh-Keays Byrne, wasn't there some famous role he narrowly missed out on? I swear I read that recently.

Wasn't it rumoured that he was supposed to be Jon J'onzz in The Justice League movie? Before it was shelved, of course.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Blind Sally posted:

Wasn't it rumoured that he was supposed to be Jon J'onzz in The Justice League movie? Before it was shelved, of course.

Possibly, but I don't think it was that. If so, that sounds really cool.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Blind Sally posted:

Also, where did you hear he only has 16 lines of dialogue? That's news to me! Got a source?

http://badassdigest.com/2014/07/26/sdcc-mad-max-fury-road-debuts-synapse-searing-footage/

Mel Gibson only has 16 lines of dialogue in Road Warrior, so Tom Hardy having only 16 comes off as pandering to me. Did it need to be exactly 16?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Firstborn posted:

http://badassdigest.com/2014/07/26/sdcc-mad-max-fury-road-debuts-synapse-searing-footage/

Mel Gibson only has 16 lines of dialogue in Road Warrior, so Tom Hardy having only 16 comes off as pandering to me. Did it need to be exactly 16?

Pandering to whom?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Fans who think this movie needs to be Road Warrior Again but with Tom Hardy. Would anyone think Max had way too many lines in the movie he had... 40? I can imagine the process of having to carefully pick which 16 lines he has to say because THAT'S WHAT ROAD WARRIOR HAD, GUYS. I'd like to think that Gibson having so few lines was a little more organic.

It's kind of funny, you know? The article goes (16 lines confirmed guys!) like fans were waiting to hear that Max doesn't talk in this movie, or something. Honestly I never even noticed Road Warrior has so few lines for Max and though it may be indicative of the badass loner persona, never really saw it as a character trait that he barely speaks.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
What if they wrote the movie organically and realized that Tom Hardy only had fifteen lines and so they added another in somewhere to get it up to sixteen?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
In Soldier, Kurt Russell only says 104 words :smug:

that's actually probably still more than Mel in Road Warrior...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Here's the trailer shown at Comic-Con:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akX3Is3qBpw

• Locked thread