Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Trailers:

: : :Mad Max: Fury Road Official Website: : :
· Facebook · Twitter · YouTube · Instagram · Tumblr ·
Mad Max: Fury Road OST · The Art of Mad Max: Fury Road

Okay, so you're new here. You know who Mel Gibson is, you've heard of such a thing as "Mad Max", but have no idea what a Fury Road is.

Fury Road is the fourth film in the Mad Max franchise. You could view it as a re-imagining or a reboot or whatever. Given the mythological structure of these films, even the first three movies were only vaguely connected to each other. Rather than being proper sequels, they're all loosely connected enough that you could take them as stand-alone films. The film's canon is less important than the hero myth being preserved. Well, that and the loving nuts vehicular mayhem. Though a critically important and hugely influential series, this fourth film has been a long time coming. It is important to note that George Miller, the original creator and director (he also made Babe: Pig In The City and the Happy Feet films), has managed to keep a hold of the rights to Max until he was ready to make a proper sequel himself. Regardless, below is a truncated history on this film's development, while the second OP post is reserved for the original three films and upcoming game:

MAD MAX: FURY ROAD

It's here! Director George Miller has literally been working on the idea for over a decade. Seriously.

Rumours of new Mad Max material began in 1995 when talk of a TV show began to appear. It never happened, but in 1998, talk of a fourth movie started. George Miller later confirmed in 1999 that he had completed the script. Through to 2009, rumours spread over who would play the lead role, whether it would be Max or the a son of Max or even the Feral Kid from The Road Warrior grown to adulthood. Of course, Mel Gibson was brought up. He was confirmed, unconfirmed, said to play lead, said to be a cameo, and then dropped altogether. However, Heath Ledger, Michael Biehn, Guy Pearce, and Pam Grier were also mentioned. There was word it was going to be filmed in Southern Australia, then Morocco, then both locations, then only only Southern Australia, then Namibia, and then it was slated to be an anime. The movie even had a July 23rd, 2004 released date at one point. However, shooting kept being pushed back for all sorts of reasons, such as a rising Australian dollar or tensions in the filming locations.

Then, on October 24th 2009, a press conference announced that the movie was back on track. Miller stated that pre-production had already begun and the film was to begin shooting late 2010. Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron were confirmed to be starring in the lead roles as Max Rockatansky and Imperator Furiosa respectively. Massive amounts of rain delayed shooting in Broken Hill, Australia, though, as the desert was transformed from a barren wasteland to a verdant paradise. Miller wasn't idle; he kept working on scripts and planned an additional two movies. Mad Max: Furiosa was to be shot back to back with Mad Max: Fury Road, while he continued to work on the sixth script. However, a year later, Broken Hill was still too green for the film's needs, so shooting was moved back to Namibia, but didn't begin until June 2012. Original plans to shoot the film in 3D were changed to 3D conversion in the post-production process. Around this time, pictures of vehicles begin to get released into the wild and by 2013 a picture of Tom Hardy as Max was released. Of course, trouble seems to love Miller, and problems continue to plague him. The film has run over its budget and the studio wound up sending a suit to keep Miller on track. More recently, the film has come under fire from environmental groups for apparently destroying large portions of the desert ecosystem in Namibia (though the Namibia Film Commission denies this).

For detailed records on all this nonsense, MadMadMovies.com is a good place to start.

Back to Fury Road, it's finally here! Early reviews start coming in at Page 30.

: : : : :Mad Max: Fury Road FAQ: : : : :

Q: What did Max's back tattoo say?

A:

Q: Why was that one War Boy screaming "human being"?

A: He wasn't. He was screaming "fang it", which is Aussie slang for "go faster".

Q: Hold up, "ride for 160 days?" The logistical problems concerning this are troubling. If we were to take into account fuel and food consumption, this would clearly be an impossibility. Furthermore, the oceans aren't flat and blah blah blah fart--

A: Get this tactical realism bullshit out of here. You are not meant to take that line literally in this post-apocalyptic mythical battle car fairy tale. To quote forums poster LogisticEarth:

LogisticEarth posted:

The whole "160 days of salt" line isn't meant to be taken literally. It's Max's way of hammering home the point that they have no idea what to expect on any exodus across the salt flats, but that it's likely not good. Meanwhile they know the Citadel is there for the taking. "Hope", that they will find something better by running, is as he says, a mistake.

So yeah, I don't think it's correct to assume that the oceans are totally gone, just receded.

: : : : :Other stuff--: : : : :

StoicFnord posted:

Felt the need to make this smilie test as it had me in fits.

A Photoshop wizard might get something better.

TerminalBlue posted:

Oh, hah. I just finished making the same thing and was trying to talk myself into buying it.

Too slow.

I am...

Frankenstyle posted:

This film is about to test my marriage. Met a friend who's a dealership mechanic for an early lunch and was telling him how badly he needs to see the movie. At some point I was joking about how I feel like less of a man for not owning a V8 anymore, which turned in to him selling me an 07 police interceptor for cheap. My wife is due back in an hour and I really wish I had a spiked leather thong and a hockey mask to help bolster my augment that it was an absolutely necessary purchase.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

"We need to talk."

"NOOOOOOOO. NO MORE TAAAAAALK. WE GOOO IIIIIIIIIIIN. WE KIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLL."

e: Alternatively, hold her and whisper "BE STILL MY DOG OF WAR. I KNOW YOUR PAIN. WE HAVE ALL LOST MONEY. BUT WE DO THIS MY WAY."

VikingSkull posted:

Listen wife! This is the truth of it. Fighting leads to screaming, and screaming gets to divorcing. And that is drat near the death of half of us. Look at us now! Interceptored up, and everyone talking about sick burnouts! But we've learned, by the sales prowess of that dude... your husband learned. Now, when men get to buying, donuts happen here! And neutral drops here! Our bank account enters; my Valhalla leaves.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I must double post to bring you this gift from the Auspol crew thread:

Sally fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

MAX ROCKATANSKY

This is Max Rockatansky. He's a fella. A quick fella. He lives in Australia with his wife and kid, and works as a police man. He's good people. You know what they say, though: bad things happen to good people. And unfortunately for Max, the world he lives in has gone to poo poo. After losing his wife, kid, and best friend to psychopathic bikers, Max gets mad. Then he gets revenge.

Cue vehicular manslaughter.

But then he gets a dog and drives out into the desert wasteland to live out the rest of his life alone as a scavenger. However, what's left of society won't leave him alone and he gets pulled back in. This time he gets roped into fighting a war against an even bigger gang on behalf of a besieged people hunkered down in a desert refinery.

But then he gets a monkey and braves the desert wasteland as a scavenger once more. Learning from his past mistakes, he manages to avoid civilization long enough to grow his hair out. However, he eventually gets robbed and has to hoof it to a nearby city to get his gear back. After making a deal with the wrong sort of people, he gets entered into a gladiatorial arena. The deal doesn't play out as Max expects. He gets betrayed and is cast back out into the desert to die. He is found by The Lost Boys (and Girls), is given a haircut, and unwittingly creates a child army to (accidentally) take out his betrayers. Then he sacrifices himself to help the Lost Boys escape.

Max is down but he's not out. He's coming back.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

THE MAD MAX TRILOGY

Okay, so you wanna get caught up on Max's story, eh? There are three films you need to grab:

Mad Max (1979) * IMDB - 7/10 * Rotten Tomatoes - 95%

quote:

In the ravaged near future, a savage motorcycle gang rules the road. Terrorizing innocent civilians while tearing up the streets, the ruthless gang laughs in the fact of a police force bent on stopping them. But they underestimate one officer. Max Rockatansky (Mel Gibson). And when the bikers brutalize Max's best friend and family, they send him into a mad frenzy that leaves him with only one thing left in the world to live for--revenge!
Mad Max 2 aka The Road Warrior aka Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981) * IMDB - 7.6 * Rotten Tomatoes - 100%

quote:

In action movie annals, few compare with this full-throttle epic of speed and carnage that rockets you into a dreamlike landscape where the post-nuclear future meets the mythological past. More simply, it's also one of the most mind-blowing stunt movies every made. Under the direction of George Miller (Babe, Happy Feet), Mel Gibson first made his mark on movie history as heroic loner Max, who drives the roads of outback Australia in an unending search for gasoline. Arrayed against him and the other scraggly defenders of a fuel-depot encampment are the bizarre warriors commanded by The Humungus. With The Road Warrior on your side, screen action doesn't get any better.
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985) * IMDB - 6.1/10 * Rotten Tomatoes - 81%

quote:

Two men enter. One man leaves. That's the law in Bartertown's Thunderdome arena. But lawmaker Aunty Entity will soon add another: Don't get Max mad!
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome stars Mel Gibson (Lethal Weapon, Maverick) for his third go-round as the title hero who takes on the barbarians of the post-nuclear future--and this time becomes the savior of a tribe of lost children. Music superstar Tina Turner steals what's left of the screen as Aunty Entity, a power-mad dominatrix determined to use Max to tighten her stranglehold on Bartertown.
Directors George Miller and George Ogilvie deliver another rousing final apocalypse-on-wheels and one of the best movie fight scenes ever, as Max and the gladiatorial Blaster face off with maces, chainsaws and anything not nailed down inside Thunderdome. Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome: watch and you'll agree with the soundtrack song that "We Don't Need Another Hero."

You can grab these individually, or--

For the first time ever the trilogy is being released as a proper Blu-Ray collection on June 4, 2013. No bootleg versions or cheap transfers or cuts with the awful American dub, but the proper versions. (Individual copies of The Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome are being released at the same time for anyone who already owns the Mad Max DVD+Blu-Ray combo). Note, this will be the first time Beyond Thunderdome has been released on Blu-Ray.

Don't want to wait? I don't blame you. Well, they're not too hard to find, nor are they too expensive. Use the internet or go down to your local pawn shop and grab a copy on DVD or VHS.

The trilogy is now available. You can find it in standard Blu-ray case or in a collectible tin. It sounds like there aren't a lot of bonus features. In fact, nothing that hasn't already been released is present in this collection. Still, it's the Mad Max Trilogy, and you can finally watch Beyond Thunderdome in Hi-def. Here's a couple of reviews for those curious:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/60345/mad-max-complete-trilogy/
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/876...ay+Disc+News%29

MAD MAX: THE GAME

Wrong Mad Max game. This one's coming out for the PS3, PS4, XBOX 360, XBOX ONE, and PC in 2014. No idea when this is coming out. It has likely been delayed, but no real news has been given about it. It's out, and it's pretty drat sweet! While it doesn't reinvent the open-world wheel, it's a drat fun gun for any Mad Max fan. Link to the is below. Check the OP to see if this is indeed the game for you:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717352

Sally fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 4, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

This guy looks like a lot of fun to know.

I think it's Hugh Keays-Byrne, the fellow that played The Toecutter.

I doubt there's any connection to the character, though. Miller likes reusing actors in different roles for these films. Like Max Fairchild in 1 & 2 (as Benno and the "Broken Victim" respectively), and Bruce Spence in 2 & 3 (as the Gyro Captain and Jedidiah the Pilot respectively).

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

scary ghost dog posted:

Pale dude's not so much more ridiculous than this guy:

It's a weird wasteland out there.

Must'n't forget about Ironbar:

Or Master Blaster

James Woods posted:

The Gyro Captain and the pilot in Thunderdome are two different people? I recently re watched the trilogy and noticed that at the end where Max and the Lost Boys are escaping and Max sees the pilot and says "You've got an airplane." that its the first time he sees Bruce Spence's character's face in this movie. The only other time they crossed paths was in the beginning when he steals Max's truck and camels and he was wearing a mask at the time. Max never even sees the pilot in Bartertown because he's ducking him the whole time. After Max gets into town his vehicle and supplies have already been sold and are now in the possession of Master Blaster. It seems to me that the only way he could have immediately recognized the pilot and knew he had a plane was that they had a history together as he's the Gyro Captain. I always thought it was just a funny coincidence that the movie starts with Max being unknowingly gaffled by his comrade from the previous film

True, but then there's also a scene where Jedediah clearly sees Max in Barter Town and smiles. Not in recognition of his old pal (The Gyro Captain loved Max and would have been all over him, insisting they be "partners" again), but because he knows he got away with selling off all his junk in the marketplace. I was always under the impression that Max recognized him at the finale because of film convenience (i.e., Max recognizes the pilot because we, the audience, recognize the pilot, and because it's ironic justice).

Furthermore, based on what the Feral Kid says at the end of The Road Warrior, the Gyro Captain was supposed to have become the leader of the Great Northern Tribe. Jedediah is just some dude with a kid living in a junkyard in the desert.

Lastly, I swear Jedediah has much nice teeth than the Gyro Captain has. I can't find any proper screen caps, so I could be off on this one, but I'll fast-forward through the movies again tonight to confirm this. (If true, I figured they were different characters because the Gyro Captain never would have been able to find proper dental work in the wasteland).

But to be fair, there's never been confirmation one way or the other from Miller--or if there has, I've never found it. So a lot of people on the internet argue whether or not they are one and the same character.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Nutsngum posted:

Wait im confused, is the "English" track a terribly dubbing track or something?

I'm pretty sure Terrible Effigies was having a go, but yeah, the American dub is atrocious. It's especially egregious considering how easy to understand the original track is.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Bcov5SGU0
The Horrible American Dub

quote:

They dubbed in American voices because they didn't think American audiences would understand what they were saying.

Seriously.

quote:

Good thing they did, because I never would have understood what they were talking about otherwise. Is that bad? No. Nothing to apologize for. I'm not sorry I don't understand a strong English, Scottish or Australian classic accent corresponding slang, nor am I sorry they don't understand mine. Shrug.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Blind Sally posted:

Lastly, I swear Jedediah has much nicer teeth than the Gyro Captain has. I can't find any proper screen caps, so I could be off on this one, but I'll fast-forward through the movies again tonight to confirm this. (If true, I figured they were different characters because the Gyro Captain never would have been able to find proper dental work in the wasteland).

Because I said I would:

The Gyro Captain's teeth are spotted and brown.

Jedediah's sparkle by comparison.

EDIT: Ugh, this is my proof:

EDIT: EDIT: His teeth just keep getting worse!

The Matrix:

LOTR:

Star Wars:

Sally fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 16, 2013

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

WickedIcon posted:

e: Actually, now that I think about it the films kinda just portray sex outside of a Good Christian Marriage as bad in general. Max is married in the first movie, but after his wife and kid die, he's portrayed as basically asexual for the rest of the trilogy, as are the other good-aligned characters. The only time the trilogy even slightly breaks this, to my recollection, is the aforementioned scene in Thunderdome where it's mentioned that one of the girls in the tribe is pregnant.

I'm just trying to think of when some sort of sexual relationship is shown in the series... In Mad Max, there's Max and Jessie's marriage, there's the couple that get raped by the Toecutter's gang, there's Goose hooking up with the lounge singer, there's Cundalini and Mudguts "molesting" the mannequin, and then later on the Toecutter gang leers and cat-calls at Jessie.

In the case of Toecutter's gang, I think they're just a bunch of maniacs predisposed to violence, sexual and otherwise. Members of the Toecutter's gang have relationships too (I'm presuming that the woman with the Nightrider was close to him), it's just that all parties involved are psychopaths.

In The Road Warrior, the Humungus's gang is portrayed as having both gay and straight members. There's Wez, the Golden Youth, and all the other leather fetishists. There's also members who are interested in raping women before killing them, not to mention the heterosexual couple who were seen having sex (when Max blasts through their camp, he knocks over their tent and they are shown briefly).

I assume the good-aligned characters weren't too sexual because they were under siege, however there are a few scenes where the Warrior Woman appears to be flirting with or checking out Max. Furthermore, the woman who was raped appears to have meant something to the scraggly looking guy as he asks Max about her when he first arrives at the compound--though to be fair, they might have been related rather than romantic partners.

Then there's Thunderdome and the Lost Ones. I can't recall anything overtly sexual happening in Bartertown. Maybe the creepy announcer dude and his scantily clad assistants?

My understand of the costuming is basically this:

Neo Rasa posted:

Also I think it's important that a lot of the fetishistic look of the villains in Road Warrior is less about them being gay and more about them being fascistic, repressive people.

(also, I've been slowly adding a bunch of stuff to the OP, including some video links, interviews, and more information about cast. I also updated the second post with a list of stuff that Mad Max has influenced, because when I look around the world I see Mad Max in everything and I love how pervasive this series is in pop culture).

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The Gyro Captain creeped on that one girl with the ponytail pretty hard.

Oh yeah! I can't believe I missed that. I was even thinking about it when I posted my previous response.

Anyways, one of my favourite bits of news to come out late last year was this whole "controversy" about Charlize Theron and Tom Hardy fighting on set: http://www.celebitchy.com/260334/are_charlize_theron_tom_hardy_fighting_on_the_set_of_mad_max_fury_road/

quote:

Charlize, the source says, just can’t believe Tom has to stay in character when they’re not filming and thinks he’s a “weirdo!”

“Charlize and Tom are just not getting on together,” the source told RadarOnline.com. “Professionally, they are doing a wonderful job, but in-between takes Tom likes to stay in character and is constantly talking to himself and mumbling things.”

“Charlize has tried to talk to him during breaks in filming but he shuts himself off from the rest of the cast. She has the ability to switch off when she’s not filming, and can immediately turn into her character as soon the camera’s rolling. However, he prefers to isolate himself and Charlize thinks he’s a weirdo! But I don’t think that bothers him, he just does his own thing,” the source revealed.

The image of Charlize Theron trying to be friendly and being rebuked because Tom Hardy Is Mad Max is hilarious to me.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Yodzilla posted:

I just watched that Humongous crash clip again and noticed for the first time that when his buggy explodes you can see that all of the other cars behind the truck are stationary and there are people just sort of standing around. I'm sure it was for safety reasons or something but I wish I hadn't seen that.

Want your immersion spoiled on the Toecutter crash clip? Watch it closely. The semi truck they got for the crash was rented or something, so they didn't want to damage it in the scene. So, they build a huge metal panel and painted it the same colour as the front of the truck for the bike to harmlessly crash into. The first bit of the clip clearly shows the semi truck bearing down on the camera. Then it cuts to the Toecutter's eyes popping out, then back to the truck--but this time it's the metal panel painted to look like the front of the truck. The lights are clearly painted on. In the scene from the side you can even see space between the metal panel and the truck, where it's hooked on. (Movie magic!)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Not a lot of new news. Some interesting bits, though:

An article on the decision to NOT film Mad Max: Fury Road in 3D: http://picha.com.au/why-mad-max-fury-road-wasnt-shot-in-3d/

Apparently the film contributed $374 million to the Namibian economy: http://www.madmax4-movie.com/community/forums/topic/1173. Includes a few new images of some cars and a creepy looking cast member.

And, Warner has registered URLs for their rumoured/unannounced Mad Max tie-in game: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/400944/warner-registers-mad-max-game-domains/

quote:

Three domains; MadMaxGame.com, MadMaxTheGame.com, and WorldGoneMadLegendOfMax.com (via AGB) were registered on April 10, and seemingly point to an unannounced game based on the Mad Max franchise.

Although I sincerely hope the game doesn't wind up being titled "World Gone Mad: Legend of Max."

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

timeandtide posted:

What ever happened to the Mad Max game headed by the God of War 2 guys?

There was a lot of talk about back in 2008ish, where Miller and the lead designer were talking about having long meetings where they wrote a script and worked out ideas for a game and confirmed that it'd come out in 2011 near the release of Fury Road, but that obviously never materialized.

It seems to have fizzled out. The game might also be made by Team Bondi, though.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

This looks awesome and I had no idea it was coming. Also, I, too, thought that Bruce Spence played the same character in Road Warrior and Thunderdome. I'm also of the opinion that Blaster is the big, slow farm kid from Mad Max because Max seems to recognize him in Thunderdome after he knocks Blaster's helmet off, and him shouting "This wasn't part of the deal!"

The actor that plays the slow kid in Mad Max briefly appears in Mad Max 2--and is tortured and killed.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

poo poo, really? I didn't know that. Also, this thread is the first place I've ever heard the Humongous =Goose idea. Where'd that come from?

Really! He's the bigger of the two victims tied to the Humungus's car in this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfL4xKQeSfo

He gets tortured later in the film in the night montage before the final chase scene. Then, during the chase scene, he gets decapitated when Max brakes the truck to dislodge Wez from the roof--the Humungus's vehicle slams into the back of the tanker severing the victim's heads: http://youtu.be/8qcRgKuOU7Q?t=8m11s (actual decapitation occurs at 8:21)

W/r/t the Humungus=Goose thing, it was my understanding that it came from an early draft of the script that was eventually dropped. A few hints remain that could really be taken either way. There's nothing concrete:
-The Humungus's revolver case contains medals and a picture of some people, presumably a family heirloom, suggesting that he wasn't always such a cretin the Ayatollah of Rock'n'Rolla.
-Close ups of his head show that he may have burn scars. Goose never died in Mad Max, but he did suffer some horrific 3rd degree burns.
-There are a large number of people who seem to be wearing modified MFP uniforms in the gang, suggesting that Goose rounded up some disgruntled cops to go with him.
-Also, The Humungus and Max never really meet, so we never get a chance to see if either recognize each other.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Has anyone had a chance to pick up the Mad Max Trilogy on Blu-Ray? My player is busted and I'm a bit short on cash to replace it so I haven't been able to check them out yet. I wondered if the quality of the newly released version of Road Warrior is better or worse than the original one. Basically, I'm wondering if I should re-buy the new version of the Road Warrior.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I dont believe Max would do anything to save a single dying stranger. Not at that point, anyways (judging by the outfit/car, the game looks to be taking place before The Road Warrior)--his best friend was covered in third-degree burns, left breathing in a tube, his child was dead, and his wife was on life support, with doctors planning which organs they could "salvage" from her. He had gone on a revenge spree, murdering an entire gang of bikers before riding off into the desert. I'd say he's very much a pragmatist at that point. Mercy killing seems within character. Max is just a survivor at that point. Mercy killing with his car in order to save a bullet seems even more within character--saving precious ammunition.

As you said, Max saved the injured scout in order to bargain him away for gasoline. Not the most noble motives, and it right angers the oil refiners, who chain him up. Max makes a second bargain and leaves once he has what he needs. It isn't until he's nearly killed, loses his car and dog, and is rescued that his heroic streak shines through, even if he is only offering himself up for a suicide mission.

Regardless, it's hard to pass any sort of judgement on a 1:49 long trailer, so I'm just eager to hear it's been officially announced.

EDIT: there's a website! I'm so giddy! http://www.madmaxgame.com/en-gb/

Sally fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 12, 2013

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Made a thread for the game: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554646

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Meaty Ore posted:

I watched this a couple weeks ago and noted that when Max abandons the survivalists after delivering the rig, Humungus says something like "I'm very disappointed in you, buddy" as Max drives past. Not sure about the last word in that line; it was a little indistinct. But it would give further evidence of his being Goose, if I heard the line correctly.

He delivers that line to Wez. At this point, the Golden Youth had already been killed and The Humungus had to choke him out to settle him down. He's upset that Wez runs off in his car to kill Max. They were there to siege a refinery, not settle petty scores with scavengers and cowards, like Max (really, let the survivalists run--The Humungus had already offered to let them "walk away"). Anyways, the line is actually "I'm very disappointed in you, puppy", as The Humungus had already referred to his soldiers as his "dogs of war."

Sally fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 25, 2013

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Largest image I could find:

I don't recognize the medals.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Anyone going to Comic-Con? It's rumoured that Warner Bros. are going to have an interactive Road Fury booth there: http://www.gotham-news.com/news/2013/07/05/warner-bros-might-be-secretly-planning-an-interactive-mad-max-fury-road-promotion-fo

So if you go, tell us about it.

More interesting, it seems Top Gear Australia and Ford have been working together to create a new Interceptor. They've come up with a couple of concept cars that look nothing like the Interceptor from the films. Well, they're cars and they're black, so I guess there's that, but they're pretty space age looking. They look kind of cool, just not what I'd expect:

http://www.carscoops.com/2011/03/ford-and-top-gear-australia-revive-mad.html

And there's a bigger gallery of concept images here:

http://raredelights.com/ford-interceptor-concepts-to-star-in-mad-max-4-fury-road/

EDIT: Almost forgot, Top Gear Australia readers get to vote on which concept they like best and it will be turned into a full-scale model later this year.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Ha, wasn't really expecting this. If you're at the SDCC around 3pm, they're doing cover signings.

(I believe this is going to be a Mad Max Game tie-in)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rocksicles posted:

if there is one single car in this this made after 1980, fail.

I have no idea what this means, but I'm pretty sure the aesthetic they're going for is "rusted monstrosities welded together into high octane death machines":

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Found an interesting article on the digital capture techniques used to film Fury Road: http://if.com.au/2013/09/12/article/LSNYIQZNMW.html

This quote in particular stood out to me:

quote:

The original Mad Max is remembered for its gritty look. Fury Road took a different route due to the film’s heavy use of visual effects. “The DI and the post work is so explicit; almost every shot is going to be manipulated in some way,” Seale explains. “Our edict was ‘just shoot it.’ Continuity of light wasn’t really a question. We knew that the film would be cut very quickly, so there wouldn’t be time to analyze every shot. Intercutting between overcast and full sun wasn’t going to be a problem. On this film, the end result controlled the execution.”

It reminded me that George Miller has spent the last several years working with computer generated 3D animation. I am now really interested to see how he meshes his early style with his present one.

Mad Max meets Happy Feet?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Some interesting news has popped up.

quote:

Finally, in what could be considered by some as yet more negative news for Fury Road, the Bettina casting agency in Sydney is in the process of recruiting 27 children for Fury Road's additional shoot. They specialize in child casting, or child modelling, and are selecting their children right now. This gives me nasty flashbacks to that exceptionally lovely mid-section of Thunderdome, with all those annoying brats in facepaint. I don't know why Miller would need a school bus full of kids. I'm refraining myself here from speculating a PG-13 deal in return for additional shooting.... nah...

I liked the mid-section of Thunderdome. :(

Also from the article, it sounds like they've found a composer for Fury Road. It was obvious they weren't going to hire either composers for the earlier films (Brian May scored the first two, Maruice Jarre scored Thunderdome), as they have both died. To handle this movie, they've hired Tom Holkenborg aka JunkieXL of JKL. He has previously worked on films such as Domino, The Dark Knight Rises, Inception, The Man Of Steel, and Kingdom Of Heaven. It should be interesting as he's obviously got quite a background in electronic music and synthetic beats. Personally, I'm excited by this development. My tastes in music have changed quite a bit over the years, so I'm looking forward to seeing (hearing) what happens.

http://www.manlymovie.net/2013/10/mad-max-fury-road-gets-musical-composer.html

Another article on JXL scoring Fury Road: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/29189/junkie-xl-to-score-mad-max-fury-road

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
In other news, Tom Hardy insists that the re-shoots are not actually re-shoots but just additional filming: http://www.totalfilm.com/news/tom-hardy-explains-additional-filming-on-mad-max-fury-road

He's stoked.

Meanwhile, Charlize Theron is pissed that she has to shave her head again. She's contractually obligated, though, so oh well: http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/charlize-theron-upset-over-shaving-2680736

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Well, until they kaiboshed it, I was tentatively excited to have a Mad Max film based on how nice the Happy Feet movies looked.

That said, that tweet is freakin' hilarious. I, too, am bummed out that this has been pushed back. But it's already been forever, so I dunno.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Finally some Fury Road news!

One, that they've finished filming the drat thing: http://www.thelocationguide.com/blog/2013/12/ng-film-mad-max-4-finishes-filming-with-location-work-near-sydney/

Two, some leaked images of characters in costume. They seem legitimate, as Warner Bros has been asking websites to take them down: http://geektyrant.com/news/mad-max-fury-road-four-leaked-character-photos

The actual images are below and contain :siren: potential spoilers :siren:, so mouse over at your own risk.

I can't tell who the left two are, but bottom right looks like Nicholas Hoult so I think that's his "Nux" character. Judging by the facial deformity, I'm guessing that the top right is Hugh Keays-Byrne's "Immortan Joe" character:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
This is not an April Fool's joke. This image actually surfaced last week. I only noticed it now. We've finally got a new image of Tom Hardy as Mad Max:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Wow. That looks awesome. Also, glad to see some more material leaking out.

(I'll add this link to the OP, thanks!)

Oh, yeah, I noticed this at the bottom:

quote:

MAD MAX: FURY ROAD opens May 15, 2015.

Hadn't seen a precise date before, so that's interesting.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Found this. A conflicting plot summary:

http://www.theglobaldispatch.com/mad-max-fury-road-conflicting-plot-details-emerge-as-tom-hardy-looks-rugged-in-photo-98915/

quote:

In the newest edition of the Mad Max series, he will be portrayed by the actor Tom Hardy, and will take place before the second installment. The story will fill the gap of how Max transitioned from a rogue police officer to a survivalist in the Outback as he was portrayed in the second and third film installment.

Shortly after avenging his wife and son’s death Max Rockatansky has left the MFP and he left for the Outback, and he is now on his own, as the world slowly plummets in the aftermath of the oil crisis and the global war. With nothing except his powerful Pursuit Special, Max now has to learn how to survive the post-apocalyptic wastelands and battle the fierce, ruthless warriors who inhabit them.

Hard to say how valid it is, as following the bread-crumb trail back it looks like this information came from Wikipedia articles. However, said articles have already had the quoted text removed. It is a mystery! Also, maybe a conspiracy! Probably some idiot messing around, who knows. At this point, even rumours are better than no Mad Max news at all.

Also, there has been a brief interview including set pics with the fight choreographer and weapons advisor for the film, Greg Van Borssum (who also worked with George Miller on Happy Feet 1 and 2): http://www.manlymovie.net/2014/04/mad-max-fury-road-weapons-advisor-talks.html

quote:

"The parkour world has been a massive part of action films for the past few years, but even now, it is becoming dated, as did the Hong Kong-style wire action seen in The Matrix years before and even the Bourne-style fighting is becoming a regular thing.

I wanted to make the action less flashy and more realistic of a world that has been built on the remnants of warfare survivors and scavengers. I designed a number of gun fighting sequences for the film, but there was one in particular, that, if cut correctly, should be enjoyable to watch."

It's debatable whether or not "Fury Road" will work as PG-13, assuming it even is PG-13. Nonetheless Borssum has been saying that: "There were some very difficult fight sequences, as not only were they being performed on moving vehicles, they were using improvised weaponry and other things."

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
There's some interesting stuff in there and I'm heartened by the overall positive response, considering all the delays, but holy crap those people are getting WAAAY too wound up about continuity and whether or not there are enough callbacks to the older films.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Young Freud posted:

The oasis kids in Thunderdome say differently.

So does the intro to Mad Max 2. I think society was just barely holding it togther in the first film.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Rewatched the intro in the Road Warrior: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n29c-q3_8Q

It pretty clearly frames it as though Mad Max occurred after the "apocalypse". However, it also doesn't frame WWIII as a wholly nuclear affair. It's possible that there was limited use of nuclear weapons though, but the big issue seems to stem around an energy crisis being set off in the wake of the conflict. That's when the politicians "talked and talked" while society began to crumble around them, swallowing up people such as Max and his family.

The first film fits this description. But also, the Road Warrior takes place out in the desert wastes far from any remaining city centre. Both films could be post-apocalyptic, just set in different parts of the continent.

EDIT:

Nutsngum posted:

Mad Max 3 however is definitely absolute garbage.

Aww. I liked Thunderdome.

PROGRAM, ALL OF YOU, PROGRAM! IF HE AIN'T CAPTAIN WALKER, THEN WHO IS HE?

Sally fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 9, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Neo Rasa posted:

I love how I can read posts where people complain about test screening audiences questioning the film's continuity, and then on the same page see the exact same thing.

Hey, what's a little fallout?

(How's that saying go? To be human is to be a hypocrite?)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Anyone going to Comic-Con? Apparently, Fury Road'll be appearing there in some form, and a Teaser Trailer will be forthcoming "soon".

More importantly, a set of stills from the film have finally been released. It looks rad--and Charlize Theron has a robot arm!

Get pumped!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I only just watched Doomsday recently and I'm kicking myself for not seeing it sooner. It was a fantastic love-letter to The Road Warrior--and the Escape From films, honestly. I just kept writing it off as terrible garbage until one of my friends convinced me to watch it. Absolutely worth it.

And yeah, that "Farewell to arm" joke is atrocious.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Kingtheninja posted:

Is it available streaming anywhere? I didn't find it on netflix but I haven't had a chance to check amazon prime yet.

I believe it's on Canadian Netflix. I watched it only a few weeks ago.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I dunno, but I wish I'd seen Doomsday earlier. IMDBing it, it looks like the director, Neil Marshall, is also responsible for other solid, yet not super successful, action/horror films. He's also done The Descent and Dog Soldiers which were both great. I haven't seen Centurion, but I did enjoy the episodes of Game Of Thrones he directed (two of the more action heavy ones: Watchers On The Wall and Blackwater).

Anyone know of any other rad Mad Max-ish movies? It's a bit of a wait until next year, and I really want to watch some good post-apocalyptic media.

Another good one, if you haven't seen it, is Le Dernier Combat: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085426/?ref_=nv_sr_1

It's a French film done by Luc Besson of Fifth Element, Leon The Professional, and La Femme Nikita fame. There won't be any real language problems as the film is basically a silent film--due to the nature of the apocalypse, people have lost the ability to speak. There's no crazy car chases, but it's got a very Road Warrior/Fallout-esque vibe to it. Something about the setting and the near lack of dialogue. It's also got a young Jean Reno in it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Initial shootings and re-shoots are done, and I assume there has been some amount of post-production because there was a test screen shown a month or so ago that garnered a lot of positive feedback. So yeah, hopefully soon we'll see a proper trailer and it'll be all on track for theatres next year.

Seen The Road. I enjoyed it, but I found the movie more emotionally manipulative than the book. Of perhaps I'm just more affected by cinema than I am literature? Regardless, I thought it was a bit overwrought, though it still had me bawling like a baby. I preferred the book far more, but overall the movie was absolutely worth at least a watch. I enjoyed the bit parts from Garret Dillahunt and Guy Pearce.

Book Of Eli was okay, but I felt it sorta lost steam near the end. The first act of the film was phenomenal and a had a great Fallout/Mad Max vibe to it. But yeah, something about that film just didn't do it for me. The acting? Maybe the acting. It's been a while since I've seen it so it's hard to remember what turned me off of it.

Bellflower, though, I really enjoyed. Perhaps because it wasn't what I was expecting. Bored-teenagers-playing-with-flamethrowers-and-building-Mad-Max-cars-to-be-like-The-Humungus-meets-Romeo-and-Juliet-except-the-young-lovers-don't-die-instead-Juliet-gets-bored-and-cheats-on-Romeo-with-her-roommate-and-everything-gets-hosed-up? Hell yes. It's pretty surreal, and though it's not my favourite film, it had a certain intensity to it that very few directors manage to capture, in my opinion. I'd certainly recommend people give it a watch.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I've got a backlog to work through while I wait for Mad Max 4:

• Fist Of The North Star
  • Six String Samurai
  • The Ultimate Warrior
  • Damnation Alley
  • A Boy And His Dog
  • 2019: After The Fall Of New York
  • 2020 Texas Gladiators
  • Resident Evil: Extinction
  • Burst City
  • Radioactive Dreams
  • The Blood Of Heroes
  • Atlantis Interceptors
  • The Rover
  • The New Barbarians
  • MD Geist
  • Grey: Digital Target
  • Now And Then, Here And Ther

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Right, thanks for this! I added these images to the OP. Aaaand I took down the misleading digital image. Any sweet on-set stories or details you're allowed to share?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
That faction stuff is pretty interesting. I feel vindicated to know that Hugh Keays-Byrne is portraying another leadership role.

Also, gettin' some serious Warthog vibes off the Ripsaw Charger there:

I'm pretty stoked for this film.

• Locked thread