Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Pretty sure Co-Pilot dies in the Thunderdome novelization. Ironbar never dies. Ironbar is immortal. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Goddamn can I ever buy Tom Hardy as Max.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Erethizon_dorsatum posted:

Did anyone else think Hugh Keays-Byrne was actually kinda cute as the Toecutter? I think it's the hair.

It was the single shave eyebrow and shifting accent, imo. Also, Bubba Zanetti was scary enough to influence the creation of a Mega Man villain. Not many action movie characters can say that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I dunno, their post-apocalyptic society has rebuilt enough that they can create such advanced technology like a robot arm for Charlize Theron and a custom-skull-shaped breathing mask for Hugh Keays-Byrne. At that point, an earpiece seems like a small-fry kinda thing. I'm still hoping that it isn't just some nostalgic pandering throw-back myself, but I trust the good doctor to deliver on a quality film.

Also, where did you hear he only has 16 lines of dialogue? That's news to me! Got a source?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

ECW's Raven stole the Toecutter look directly, down to the mascara and shock of white. Speaking of Hugh-Keays Byrne, wasn't there some famous role he narrowly missed out on? I swear I read that recently.

Wasn't it rumoured that he was supposed to be Jon J'onzz in The Justice League movie? Before it was shelved, of course.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Judging by the trailer, Max spends a portion of the movie incarcerated and gagged. He won't need to be doing a whole heck of a lot of speaking.

Did anyone else pause at the part where Max is being tattooed? It was a list of his blood-type, history, and physical features--they captured him to harvest his organs.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It made my cry like a baby. Sarandon deserved her Oscar nomination.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Not sure, but Junkie XL is providing music for the film so it may be an entirely new track.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Updated the OP to have a greater focus on the new film. I will try and collect all relevant information there for easy viewing. Second post is now reserved for the original trilogy.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I don't have a giffing program, atm, but I made some gifs of bits I liked anyways!

I really dig the crazies swinging from the poles.

That fire-wind-storm looks insane.

Flares

Max's half-hearted thumbs-up

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Agreed. I also found some cast photos from before it was canned. Hugh Keays-Byrne was totally gonna play Martian Manhunter: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=97658

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Ha, yeah, it would have been an interesting film to say the least. It's too bad that universe conspired against it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yeah, but he's hungry. He eats the lizard in the full trailer they showed at ComicCon.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I've been following development news since the 90's, I'm over the moon that we've made it this far.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Neo Rasa posted:

That movie sucks but does have some fun moments. It did give us this though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EfhAFA2yFE

I've never actuallt seen the movie, but that's exactly what I was hoping for when I clicked that link.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lotish posted:

So I've only ever seen the original Mad Max films in bits and pieces before, but they put the original Mad Max on Netflix a few days ago. So I finally sat down and watched it from start to finish. It was not really the movie I was expecting, being much more familiar with the icon Mad Max has become and the perception of the films after the fact. It's... much more amateurish. Characters seem to be introduced and get dropped just kind of at random. Like the giant idiot. He's there to give Jodie (was that her name?) a jump scare and then follow after Max in a pointless scene and then gone. The cops all disappear from the second half of the film. It also has some weird effects and moments that would have seemed right at home on some MST3K fodder, like when Max looks under Goose's sheet. I was also expecting something more visceral, for Max's victories to be more explicit--half the time it seems he kills people almost by complete accident, and I didn't feel tension for Max until really the very end.

So it's kind of like seeing the original Friday the 13th after becoming familiar with Jason, I guess. If I can find a way to watch the others in their entirety, I'm curious how my perception of the series really matches with reality of the rest.

I can't really add much that hasn't already been said more succinctly by other posters, but I do want to address one thing: the idea of characters popping up and disappearing. I feel like that was intentionally there to reflect Max's withdrawal from humanity. After Goose dies, he withdraws from the police force, leaving behind Charlie, Sarse, Fifi and the rest. They're neither heard from again nor mentioned. As well, his leaving the police force also takes him away from the justice system in general, so the lawyers are characters that wouldn't have cause to appear again either. There's the one highway patrol man Max and Jesse talk to after Cundalini loses his hand, but that's really a one off. Max doesn't rejoin the MFP.

After he loses Jesse and Sprog, he withdraws from the people, who I can only guess, are his extended family, May Swaisey and Benno. I wonder if they are an aunt of Max or maybe Jesse? Regardless, just as when Max withdraws from his job, when he withdraws from his family, they are never seen again. At that point, he has fully extracted himself from society--and remember, Max is a man who is already feeling himself slipping away, becoming another speed junkie on the highway. At this point, all that's left is Max, the Interceptor, and the Toecutter's gang, and that's how it is until the credits roll.

Furthermore, I just want to point out how I find it interesting that George Miller includes so many injured, ill, or disabled people in his films. I mean, obviously he's a doctor, so it's probably partially influenced by that. Let's not forget that the car accident scene where Fifi tells Max that the Toecutter's gang have a hit out on him--it was accidents like that which partly inspired Miller to make this film. But I'm getting off topic--aside from the idiot, Benno, we see that May is also in leg braces, and then there's the MFP mechanic with the stutter. There are other people who receive injuries throughout, such as Goose and Max both receiving leg injuries, but these people aren't officers at war with biker gangs. Their disabilities are already there. And I wonder if this is a purposeful reflection of the world these people live in. Just as society is beginning to collapse and fail, so are the people, mind and body. This continues throughout the series:

• Max himself wears a leg brace for the remaining films
  • The mechanic for the refinery people in The Road Warrior is a parapalegic
  • There's both Master and Blaster from Beyond Thunderdome
  • Also, not to mention the various Lost Kids who are either injured or socially inhibited

It's definitely a background thing, but its constant presence makes me thing George is purposely adding it in. Heck, in Mad Max 4 Immortan Joe is missing the lower half of his jaw and appears to be in charge of a group of people known as The Citadel, which seems to be a place where the injured and disabled of the wasteland are abandoned.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
EDIT: crap, double-post. Uh...

Justin Godscock posted:

It's funny how I've never seen a Mad Max movie until last night. It just seemed like one of those movies that I should have seen a long time ago, along with me enjoying post-apocalyptic stuff, but never got around to it.

What I liked about the first film (The Road Warrior is tonight) is the world still hasn't ended yet. You rarely see a film where the world is just starting to go to poo poo, there is still some semblence of order left, but you know it won't be long before poo poo goes south. I can't wait for the sequels because I imagine with their larger budgets more crazy stuff is bound to happen.

Let us know what you think. I, for one, love hearing people's opinions who are just seeing the films for the first time.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior :colbert:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
That reminds me of this one particular scene in The Thing where Kurt Russel tosses a grenade. He didn't toss it far enough, so you actually see him jump backwards in a bit of a panic. IIRC, he mentions it during the bonus commentary on the DVD.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Wez has one line, I believe

Wez's lines:

"No, we go in--we go in and we kill, kill! Yeeargh!"

"You! You can run, but you can't hide!"

"Come on! Go! Go!"

"Aaaaaaagghh--"

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Batham posted:

Me and my girlfriend rewatched Beyond Thunderdome yesterday. Am I wrong in seeing a connection between Max playing chicken with the Nightrider and playing chicken again as he chooses to sacrifice himself to give the children a chance to escape via the plane? It's like he comes full circle or something. :engleft:

Do we wanna count what he did with the Humungus as playing chicken too?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Barometer posted:

I hated all the poo poo with the kids in Thunderdome. They are what ruin the movie, to me.

"Program, all of you program! He's not all that bigger than us. If he can make the trekkin', then so can we!"

(I liked it. I especially liked when Max talked down all the kids by telling them how there was no Tomorrow-Morrow Land and how he wasn't Captain Walker, but the guy who kept Mr. Death in his pocket).

(Edit for pockets)

Sally fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 28, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Thunderdome is easily one of the most quoteable movies I've ever seen, even "two man enter" and "break a deal" quotes aside.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I often find myself quoting Pigkiller's "plan!? There ain't no plan!" Or Pigkiller paraphrasing Buckaroo Banzai's "where ever you go, there you are".

Back to the idea of redemption, Road Warrior was about Max finding his humanity again as well. I read it as a really unhealthy attempt, though, because he goes from being a scavenger (as Papagallo puts it) to willing to sacrifice his own life for he sake of others. A noble cause, but certainly not healthy. I don't believe Max fully expected to survive the oil rig chase. The darker tone of the movie reflects this.

In Thunderdome, Max is still learning to find his humanity, but now in a much healthier way, hence he more lighthearted tone. When he finds the Lost Kids, he's more than happy to settle down and live it out in the oasis, and encourages all the kids to do the same, giving up their dreams of skyplanes, Captain Walker, Mrs Walker and TomorrowMorrow Land. He doesn't want to be "somebody", like Master Blaster or a Toecutter,he wants to be a comparative "nobody" and live in peace, quiet,and hopefully, safety and happiness. After all Max was somebody before: a policeman, MFP, the bronze--all it brought him was hardship and hurt, because it painted a huge target on his back.

Tying in with this vein of idenity are the two female leads: Aunty Entity, who used to be a nobody and is now very much obsessed with being a somebody ("one day cock of the walk, the next, a feather-duster"); and Savannah Nix, a nobody from the middle of nowhere, emamoured with finding TomorrowMorrow Land and becoming something more. Even note their names: Entity=somebody, Nix=nobody.

In the end,when faced with destruction, Entity clings onto being a somebody and plans to rebuild Bartertown, while Nix is relieved to settle in the ruins of the old world with her friends and family, a relative no one.

Max again sacrifices himself so that these people can escape to live their lives. ("You!" "Me?" "You've got a plane." "I have?" "Yeah. And you're gonna help us get out of here." "I am?"). However,this Max is a very different one from that seen in the last film. He is perhaps a bit softer, kinder, and maybe even more hopeful for the future.

Aunty Entity even lets him go when he is at her mercy. Why? Does she admire his sacrifice? Is it true that justice, order, and mercy can return to the wasteland? Perhaps Aunty just recognized that Max is just like her: a somebody. Despite his best efforts, she sees that inside of him and she even goes so far as to identify him, speaking aloud what perhaps Max is afraid to hear. "Aren't we a pair," she says, "goodbye, soldier." And really, that's what Max is, fighting to protect those who can't fight for themselves.
And of course, just as the Feral Kid immortalize Max as a "somebody" at the end of Road Warrior, so does Savannah Nix as the end of Thunderdome when she tells the tell to all the young ones. Thus, Max becomes a figure of myths and legends.

Sally fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 28, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Ha, almost forgot about that. Ol'Max, what a softie.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

it's "fuel-injected suicide machine"

This. Also, part of his speech are lyrics from an AC/DC song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMcbkR_Yp9Y

"I am a rocker. I am a roller. I am an out-of-controller!"

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
"Anything I say". What a wonderful philosophy you have.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Tom Hardy had a dog called "Mad Max" :cry:: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/hardy-role-mad-max-fury-road-turned-tribute-late-dog-article-1.1935237

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
holy crap, that new trailer looks amazing. that shot of hughes keay-byrne is appropriately gnarly. i'm really glad miller got him back to play a role in the series.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Steve Yun posted:

Okay just for fun, I chopped up the trailer so that Preghiera keeps playing over the second half:

http://vimeo.com/114196864

That's pretty awesome, and I threw it into the OP.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Xenomrph posted:

I was thinking the same thing. Talk about a bipolar film career.

Nobody remembers Witches of Eastwick or Lorenzo's Oil. (Or The Twilight Zone Movie).

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
And Lorezno's Oil was even nominated for two Oscars.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ElectricSheep posted:

Yeah, I'd say it slipped Vic Morrow's mind pretty quickly

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Young Freud posted:

so I'm wondering if Miller is going for hypermasculine post-apocalyptic cultures vs. a feminist (cybernetic) fist trying to hold what's decent left of civilization together with Furosia's band of girls.

Possible, looking at the trailer. There's a lot of shirtless muscle dudes running around. Particularly, that big guy with the minigun.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Hold on a sec, did I just see what I think I saw?

:megadeath:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I think I've found my new favourite Mad Max character.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It is:

I missed the flaming guitar face smash. I'm so pumped.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Not only does Miller look like a jolly Toecutter, but he has the most hilarious shirts:

quote:

George Miller explained that the inspiration behind his black shirt embroidered with three chillies. "It's a chef shirt from South Africa," he said.
"I wear it because apart from the way it looks … It's the only shirt I wear — I have eight of them."
Miller said the benefits of the chilli shirt included that it only "has one button", it was warm in winter and cool in summer — "and by far the best advantage is that I never have to think about what I'm going to wear".

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Doomsday is a pretty fun mash-up of 28 Days Later, The Road Warrior, Escape From New York, and Excalibur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

moths posted:

You do get the impression Bubba is ultimately calling the shots, though. I'm thinking particularly where Toecutter tells him to stop toying with Max and he just blows him off. TC wouldn't take that from anyone else, but he backs down and doesn't push.

I always had the impression that something was physically wrong with the Humongous, and he was actually all show. Something about the way he moves seems weird, like he's in constant pain. I can't think of a scene when we see him walk, either, but that could just be my cruddy memory.

Eh, I never got the feeling that Toecutter wasn't in charge. I just felt that he trusted Bubba enough to treat him more like an equal than an underling.

Also, Humungus is perfectly mobile. You see him running around a bit when Max first brings the tanker back to the compound. First when he spots Max: http://youtu.be/wNzfgl_H5vA?t=2m26s

And a bit later when he's yelling at Lone Wolf and Wez to get the gate open.

• Locked thread