Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So I've bought the tickets for a Saturday mid-day screening. I grew up with these movies so I really, really hope it's good. I'll let you bastards know whether it was good or poo poo once I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I got out of this movie three hours ago and I still can't believe it's real.

Me too, mate.

The only thing that confused me was Tom Hardy's accent (if he was going for an Aussie accent, then he missed by miles. He made Max Rockatansky sound like he's from an unidentified European nation), but that is such a minor quibble, that it simply doesn't matter.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Holy poo poo, you guys. Holy. poo poo. Look, I write stuff like Fury Road for a living, and right this minute I simply don't have the words to talk about it. What an amazing movie.

Also, I don't think that little girl he kept seeing in his flashbacks was supposed to be a daughter. She called him Max about a dozen times before she said "Pa", and that could have just been something like the way my daughters call my friends "Aunt" and "Uncle". Also also, Rictus with his, "I had a baby brother!" speech was the saddest loving thing I've seen in a long time.

I think the girl was basically a manifestation of both his survivor guilt and all the people that he failed to save, possibly including the kids from Thunderdome.

Maybe my opinion will change slightly on another viewing, but this really is the best Mad Max movie to date. Did anyone else wince when Immortan Joe got his face torn apart by Furiosa? And loving hell, if you're going to kill a villain, tearing their face in half is a pretty awesome way to do it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

BlackIronHeart posted:

Well, I'm just gonna pack it in for action movies for the rest of the year.

I know, right? I honestly can't be bothered about any more action movies, unless it's another go at Mad Max.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I also want to add that I loved one of the wives going out of her way to kick her chastity belt even though Joe's army was gaining on them was such a nice touch.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

Going with the whole "campfire stories around the apocalypse" theme, I like to think that the whole deal is It's someone telling the story and filling in the details from secondhand rumors and what sounds good. People "know" that Max the Road Warrior was a cop once with a family but he lost it all, but the details can change from story to story. In this case, maybe it's the Furiosa telling hte story, and since she lost her mother and her family, that's reflected in her version, of Mad Max who lost his wife and baby girl and got his humanity back saving the wives.

It's more "the Road Warrior called Max helped me out while I was saving the Wives..

I loved that The Splendid used her femininity as a weapon against Immortan Joe, when she shielded Max and Furiosa with her body, while giving him a look that basically said "yeah, go ahead and shoot me, you oval office."
I love how heartbroken poor Nux was, when Joe called him "mediocre." His sacrifice at the end ends up being a triumph for him because it's both a "gently caress you" to Joe, and it's also him entering Valhalla, as he fulfils his destiny and dies fighting for a greater cause.
I love how Immortan Joe is basically the ultimate MRA. Him getting his face torn off and his corpse slung across the hood of his own car like a trophy kill by Furiosa's merry band was so unbelievably satisfying.
I love how Furiosa convinced Max to help them, after attempting to appeal to his better nature didn't work.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

There's a lot of soubdtrack talk. I've ordered a copy off of Amazon along with the It Follows soundtrack. I can not wait until I'm driving my car with it blaring on my lovely sound system. :black101:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

THE ORGANIC MECHANIC

And I love how that name ties into Immortan Joe's world view of everything, including people, being objects for his consumption.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Pitch Perfect can stay somewhat strong but it's probably not going to have the lasting potential Of Mad Max, I could see this film dominating next weekend after word of mouth and possibly a little bit wider release maybe?

Also, this film is Rated R which hurts it's numbers drastically.

And that's where I can see Fury Road doing something similar to There's Something About Mary back in the late 90s, where it stayed in the top 10 every week and ended up being very successful at the box office without ever once hitting the top spot during the summer period.

It looks like we're getting repeat viewings as well, and I might end up seeing this twice at the theatres again with a friend if it's still on in a couple of weeks. Of course, the last time I did that was Spider-Man 3, which I found myself enjoying for the sheer absurdity and comedy value of it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

It was a '15' here in the UK, which seems about right to me. I saw quite a few kids under that age in the cinema, of course.

R16 down here in New Zealand, which translates to no one under 16 allowed. I'm somewhat comfortable with that.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Bubble-T posted:

2. Nux has to be one of the best written side characters I've seen in any action movie. He's the third or fourth most important character but in many ways he's the absolute heart of it, the one really human character in a world where so many have had to become single-mindedly driven just to survive. He's never shoved in your face as being important or awkwardly kept in the action, he just naturally involves himself more and more as a result of the things he believes at any given point in the movie.

I think I still like Mad Max the best out of the four films but it's really in a different genre all together. I can easily see Fury Road being the Terminator 2 or Aliens of this generation, it's that good.

And god, when Immortan Joe looks at him and bellows "MEDIOCRE," I felt so bad for him. You could see his heart break in two.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Harime Nui posted:

My friends and I loving laughed hard when he catches his chain and drops the gun, I admit it. We're cruel.

Well, yeah, it is funny. But what gives that bit so much pathos is how Nick Hoult sold it. He didn't beg or cry. He just watched Joe speed off, and he wasn't able to do a goddamned thing about it. I never really liked the actor, because all I could think of when I saw him was "that ratty-faced gently caress from Skins," but this movie's really changed my opinion on him.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So for anyone still handwringing about the possibility of future Mad Max movies scrapped due to this movie not getting top spot:

http://www.avclub.com/article/george-miller-suggests-theres-plenty-gas-left-mad--219589

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Maybe next time they'll have... TWO CAR CHASES?!?!?!?!?

A Doof Wagon with a full orchestra and opera singers?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

Why are we having a discussion about realism again?

If someone wants to be that nitpicky and destroy their own enjoyment of a good film, let them. I'm just happy I don't have to experience movies that way.

I guess for some it's a source of anthropological curiosity - "how can one be such a miserable poo poo?"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You really can tell this was in production since the 90's.

I remember hearing the odd rumour about Fury Road for years. One of the rumours I remember reading about (in an old Empire mag about 10 or 15 years ago, if I remember correctly) was that Heath Ledger was in negotiations to play Max's son in a 4th Mad Max film called Fury Road.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Qwertyiop25 posted:

Does anyone know the name of the actor that played the War Boy on Furiosa's war rig at the start? I swear I recognize him from something but I can't figure out what.

If you're talking about the guy who was pretty much the boss of the War Boys on Furiosa's War Rig, then that would be Jon Iles. He was also part of the cast of The Bill for about a decade, so that might be what you're remembering him from.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I would like to bring everyone's attention to the fact that in Japan, the film will be released in June as Mad Max: Death Road of Fury. :black101:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Another thing that occurred to me about Nux's character arc:

I think the really pivotal moment for him came right after Max went and killed the Bullet Farmer offscreen, and came back hauling a huge sack full of bullets. Max then turned and gave Nux a pair of boots and the Bullet Farmer's steering wheel. Contrast that to earlier, when Nux and Slit have a tug-of-war over the steering wheel to Nux's car, and how being a "driver" was a huge status symbol. This must have been an incredibly powerful gesture to him, because not only is he being accepted into the group, but his skills are being recognised and a group of people are actually relying on him. Furiosa and Max are going to be running the defence, the Wives will be supporting them, and Nux gets to drive the rig. His "friend" when he was a War Boy tried to undermine him, Immortan Joe called him mediocre after he failed to kill himself, and now he's surrounded by people that give enough of a poo poo about him, that they even find him a pair of boots for his comfort even when they have every reason in the world to despise him. And dying to help these people is therefore a far more noble cause than dying for Joe ever could be, and it is so noble, he doesn't need to be shiny and chrome as he enters Valhalla.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

TerminalBlue posted:

Maybe some of the things on there mean something to somebody, but they look kinda generic to me. Aside from the cell phone with its faceplate taken off at least.

I sort of interpreted it as this:

Joe's cult of personality is basically based around exploitation after all.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

thehomemaster posted:

Ha, I didn't realise this? I was replying to all femfreq's tweets, then saw a few of his tweets retweeted, started responding to him and got blocked. Dunno why I would bother but hey.

Also I find it really weird that people are complaining about male gaze and 'caressing' the bodies, it didn't happen at all.

She gives away that she's being contrarian for the sake of attention when it becomes clear she's either being dishonest about the content of the film, or hilariously disingenuous. Is she suggesting Marie Shear's definition of "feminism" is irrelevant?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

This one, with "I just ate a slinger" as the text.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Between Fury Road and Danger 5, I'm ready to renounce my US citizenship and swear allegiance to Australia.

You're going to have to take up racism, rugby (either union or league) and cricket.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I know the other post-apocalyptic sci-fi movie recommendations was pages ago, but I just remembered that Dead End Drive-In is worth tracking down for anyone that loves the Max or have gotten into the series through the shiny and chrome gateway that is Fury Road.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Plus this is going to be hugely successful on home video in all forms.

Pretty much. It's probably going to have an extraordinarily long shelf-life, much longer than something like Pitch Perfect 2.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

14 INCH SLIT posted:

"Class, today we're going to watch Fury Road again. For, uh, study. Yeah. Pick the raddest thing in the whole movie and write 2 pages on it by tomorrow."

So, 2 pages of "Everything in this movie!" repeated over and over again?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Otisburg posted:

:smug: Mmm... yes, I used the ol' "bread and circuses" line, but in latin for max smartguy, and dredged up a quote from a 19th century German philosopher. I'm cerebral as balls. A great review, now on to another one...

The best part is that he spelled "deserts" wrong.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Shadeoses posted:

Max has a leg brace in Fury Road?

He's had it since he got shot in the leg by Bubba Zanetti in Mad Max.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So I'm catching this film again this weekend with a friend of mine who

A) has never seen any Mad Max films
B) is a committed feminist

I managed to talk her into giving the movie a chance.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It seems like aborted Miller projects are finding a new life after Fury Road. The Justice League movie he was set to make, only to see it shelved, will now get a documentary. Megan Gale and Hugh Keays-Byrne were both set to appear in it - Gale was cast as Wonder Woman, and Keays-Byrne was rumoured to have been cast as the Martian Manhunter. I honestly wonder how it would have turned out.

http://www.avclub.com/article/soon-you-can-watch-movie-about-george-millers-abor-219905

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I just saw it for a third time, this time with my mum. She hadn't gone to the cinemas since Return of the King, and she remembers liking Mad Max 2 way back in the day (although she's said "that one with Tina Turner was a bit rubbish). Her reaction was :perfect:.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pierogi posted:

Actually it really is "Medicore Morsov, Mediocre!"

I really like how much of a wanker Slit is, and how likeable it makes Nux in comparison. Slit tries to steal Nux's steering wheel and only relents after he gets headbutted for his troubles. When Morsov gets hit with the Buzzard's arrows, Nux is shouting encouraging words at him and he's like "WITNEEEEESSS!" and seems genuinely happy for Morsov, but then loving Slit is like "Mediocre, Morsov!"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

^^^ gently caress "fan" theories. Tom Hardy is credited as "Max Rockatansky." The "Max" of Mad Max is Max Rockatansky. Ergo, the Max in Mad Max: Fury Road is Max Rockatansky.

teagone posted:

I finally got around to seeing this movie. It owns so hard. Half in the Bag's description of it essentially being a fairy tale set in a post-apocalyptic setting is now my favorite way of describing this movie.

I've actually never seen the other Mad Max movies though. Will I be disappointed in watching those after seeing Fury Road? Or will they be sweet embellishments?

I'd honestly say Fury Road is the best Mad Max movie to date, by a comfortable margin. Of the originals, Mad Max 2 (you've probably heard of it as The Road Warrior) is definitely the pick of the bunch. The first one is a fairly grim origin story and it can feel a bit slow at times, and if you're expecting wild vehicular combat in the Australian desert, look elsewhere. Still worth a look.

Beyond Thunderdome is quite lovely and it has a real identity crisis, in that it feels more like a kids' movie influenced by Mad Max, rather than a Mad Max film. There are some cool bits in it though, mostly related to the Master Blaster. You can really take it or leave it.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 1, 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

As I was watching it, it felt like it dragged a bit any time the War Rig wasn't in motion, but after the credits rolled and I thought back on it, I didn't mind those parts at all.

Honestly, the movie really benefited from that downtime between all of the action, like how the War Rig engines needed to cool off every now and then. The action went on just long enough without feeling overwhelming and exhausting, unlike, say the big 40-odd minute mess that was the climax of Man of Steel.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Another thing to consider is that Nux finds himself in a nurturing environment that functions like a family, and everyone there works as a team and they all view each other as equals.

Furiosa's crew really functions as a counterpoint to Joe's cult, in that everyone works to support each other and they survive because they have a team mentality. Max taking out the People-Eater is a great illustration of it - Furiosa holds him up, Nux boots him on to the People-Eater's car and one of the Vuvalini takes out the machinegunner, and Max runs interference against the War Boys to assist Furiosa and her War Rig.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So, for those annoyed that Pitch Perfect 2 beat Fury Road at the box office: Fury Road has topped the Australian and New Zealand box office for the last couple of weeks.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Shadeoses posted:

On the other hand, all the movies have been set in outback Australia and how many aborigines have we seen?

It depends on which part of Australia the film is set in. If it's set around the states of Victoria (where the first film was shot), rural New South Wales (where Mad Max 2 was shot) or South Australia (where Beyond Thunderdome was shot), it's not exactly likely that Max would be running into many of them, especially based on the 2011 census results. NSW does have the largest number of Indigenous Australians, but they're mostly clustered in the urban areas towards the East Coast. In terms of population density, Northern Territory and the northern half of Western Australia are where you're more likely to run into them.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Her costume struck me as a middle-ground between feminine and androgyny, TBH. I can see where Steve Yun is coming from, though and when she's surrounded by the Wives, who are dressed in a way that is designed to amplify their femininity (at least when we get a proper look at them for the first time), her outfit does seem very masculine.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Since we're doing recommendations, I'd like to once again mention Dead-End Drive In. It's not as overtly bleak as Mad Max, and takes place largely within the confines of a drive-in theatre carpark. It's like one of those YA dystopian adaptations, if it was done by an Aussie on a limited budget.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Further, look at their costumes:

Max has his shoulderguard over his right shoulder, and he drives the V8 Interceptor which is built for driving on the left-hand side of the road. Furiosa's shoulderguard in on her right shoulder, and her War Rig is for driving on the right-hand side. They're basically Ying and Yang, right down to their outfits - Max wears mostly black, while Furioa's shirt is predominantly white. Of course they would complement each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

You're all :mediocre:

• Locked thread