Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
:goonsay: Is that supposed to be the Interceptor that he's driving in the trailer? It seems to get wrecked, which doesn't fit into the original trilogy... In Road Warrior and Thunderdome he is introduced with the same vehicle that he ended the previous film with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Steve Yun posted:

That's because it's a post-apocalyptic remake of Seven Samurai, which also has 100%.
That's a pretty massive stretch. It's clearly modeled after a Western, although you probably won't find one that follows the plot exactly. Settlement harassed by Indians/bandits, mysterious lone gunman wandering around, desperate stagecoach chase...

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I don't have a problem saying that it owes a lot to it but I think calling it a "remake" is stretching that term too far. By that reasoning would you say Star Wars was a remake of The Hidden Fortress?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I don't know if it was intentional to cast a non-Australian for The Humungous or if Kjell Nilsson was just the biggest dude they could find, but the Swedish-Australian accent he's got is pretty glorious and adds to his strangeness. The character is possibly supposed to be German since he has that Iron Cross or something with his revolver case but he could easily have swiped that from a WW2 museum or something.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I'm still baffled by Roger Ebert's claim that Thunderdome is the best one.

Damo posted:

One question, is Fury Road set timeline-wise between Mad Max 1 and 2? He still has the Interceptor so it has to be set before 2, right?
Heh. You will note that the Interceptor appears to get wrecked in the trailer. Apparently the intent is to make it intentionally hazy and turn Max into more of a legendary figure. After all, the last two movies are recounted stories of childhood experiences so any discrepancies can easily be attributed to unreliable narrators.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I didn't even come across her, who was she? I also forgot Bruce Spence, since he at least showed up in LotR.

e: Ha, her career is basically exactly the same as the actress who played Captain's Girl, just without the slow, horrible death from adrenal cancer.
Virginia Hey was the Warrior Woman. She's instantly recognizable without the makeup. Also, she apparently left Farscape because the blue makeup caused her kidneys to bleed :gonk:

If she had stayed on longer her career might have matched Captain's Girl even more closely...

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Made it to the end of the thread! Yay!

Two questions that have been brought up before but didn't have conclusive answers:
  • At the end of the movie the Gigahorse gets in front of the War Rig. Nux says "Hear that? something something something." Furiosa nods and clambers out. I didn't make out what he said either time I saw the movie. At first I thought that the engine he fixed died again, but somebody earlier said it was the exhaust from the Gigahorse choking the War Rig? (which is a really cool tactic if true)
  • What's up with the Gigahorse / War Rig having the steering wheel on the left side? Without looking into it I assume that Cadillac never bothered making a right-side version of a 1959 car but the rig is little puzzling. Are there industrial trucks in Australia with the steering wheel on the left side? It's not like the filmmakers overlooked it so it must be intentional, but I can't figure out a reason for it other than some unsatisfying "it doesn't take place in the real world" thing.

And while I want nothing more than the continued success of this franchise, I think the show-not-tell storytelling that everything is praising will unfortunately limit its appeal. I fully agree with the early statement that moviegoers have been programmed to expect deliberate exposition. Plus, there's this infuriating concept of a "summer movie / popcorn movie" where you're required to "turn off your brain," and any movie that dares to provide both spectacle and substance is somehow looked down upon. I absolutely hate this concept because it lets Hollywood off the hook for making vapid trash summer blockbusters.

I apologize for the bullshit E/N stuff but I have to complain to a somewhat sympathetic audience. These are all quotes I've overheard in the lunch room at work:
  • "I didn't like Fury Road because I didn't care about any of the characters. They never explained why anything mattered." (This person buys every single superhero movie on BluRay to "support the industry")
  • "I heard George Miller say the movie was about attacking the patriarchy. I think that made me like the movie a little less."
  • "I saw this awesome movie on RedBox that you should check out. I thought it was a really, really well done action movie and I enjoyed it a lot!" Dracula: Untold This person was hesitant to watch Fury Road because, according to what people have told him, "it's just a 2 hour chase scene. There is literally nothing else other than action in the movie."

david_a fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 22, 2015

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

chitoryu12 posted:

The Gigahorse pulls in front of the War Rig and slams on the brakes, causing a collision that damages something in the engine (I still can't hear clearly what Nux says, but you hear it sputtering out after the impact). Furiosa has to climb out to get the Gigahorse out of the way so it stops slowing the rig down.
After thinking about it more, I liked the imagery of the Gigahorse choking the War Rig better. It plays into how the movie treats the vehicles as characters, like how they were ingesting performance-enhancing drugs earlier (spitting nitromethane into the superchargers).

quote:

They're custom cars.
Ok? There's some real-world reason why the vehicles have steering wheel on a particular side and (maybe) in an in-universe reason that may or may not have influenced it. I'm curious what the thought was behind it because they could have clearly changed it if they wanted to. I mean, there's not any traffic laws on the Fury Road so it's not like the placement of the steering wheel really matters but I would have thought anybody in Australia would have placed it on the right by default.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Chamale posted:

Maybe there's an advantage to being unusual, like a left-handed baseball player. Bandits trying to attack the driver's side would approach the War Rig from the wrong side.
I think sitting in the middle like in Rictus' truck would be the most optimal since the driver is the most protected that way. You can have space for lackeys on either side (McLaren F1 style) for added defense / situational awareness.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Snak posted:

Well, if Furiosa lost her arm before she became an Imperator, she would need a left-side-drive vehicle so that she could shift with her good hand.
Excellent point :)
I think I've overthought this trivial topic enough.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
SMG is interesting most of the time whether you agree with him or not, but the worst part is the people whining about his posts, even the babies using the childish Ignore feature

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Watched Fury Road for a 4th time last night. I didn't notice until now that the cubby where the wives hid in the War Rig had a bunch of plants in it.
When do you see inside it? Is there a glimpse when Max is hiding with Splendid in the canyon?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Shadeoses posted:

What did Nux do to the fuel pod that made it start fishtailing? I'm not really knowledgable about tanker trucks.
Unhooked the air brake line causing the parking brake to engage.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
That seems like kind of thing the Blu-Ray will be excellent for. Who knows what other little details people will find when they can go over it frame by frame!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Network Pesci posted:

Does that mean that some brave soul can finally put an image of the People Eater on the Internet?
Guys relax, I found a picture of him

Wow you guys aren't kidding; that is literally the only picture I've found of the character

Also out of morbid curiosity I looked at the IMDB message board for it. This was a mistake. If you were blissfully unsure if MRAs were really a thing, go ahead and click that link. "People" also seem super upset about how this trash movie with no plot got so high ratings.

david_a fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 25, 2015

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm still trying to identify the SMG being used by the Rock Riders leader. It looked almost like a chopped down Sterling, but it doesn't have a side-mounted magazine.
IMFDB thinks it's a Sten

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

The Buzzards are called out by name in the movie (I think), but I don't remember the jump bikers ever being called anything.
According to the full cast list I think they were Rock Riders (I feel like this has come up before).

Interestingly, there were apparently four other Imperators in the movie besides Furiosa. Was the Prime Imperator the hissing guy with Joe?

The guy who stabs Furiosa is merely listed as Black Mask; I was kinda hoping he had a crazy name. He seemed like an obvious callback to Bearclaw Mohawk from The Road Warrior.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I rewatched Mad Max / Road Warrior back-to-back in preparation for seeing Fury Road a third time tomorrow:
  • Crows. Crows everywhere!
  • The dispassionate dispatcher woman sounds like something straight out of Fahrenheit 451 / 1984 or something
  • That spaceship van art on the Rockatansky family wagon :laffo:
  • What did Toecutter see in Johnny? He seemed a terminal fuckup. Toecutter did try to toughen him up but Johnny's biggest problem wasn't just that he was a spineless coward and not ruthless enough, it's that he was dumb as hell. You Can't Fix Stupid.
  • I got the distinct impression that when the doctors said Jesse was "salvageable" they meant her organs.
  • Both these movies have some seriously dodgy sound mixing. Why the hell is the score so drat loud and blaring over everything? At least Road Warrior had some memorable music, but the first one is just generic soundtrack music drowning everything out. The overbearing score in parts of Fury Road seems like a homage :cheeky:
  • The Mad Max SE DVD in general had some weird sound problems. I thought I had blown a tweeter because it sounded like a 96kps MP3 at times.
  • Fury Road is actually the longest movie of the series?!
  • I wish the War Rig crash was better :( It deserved going out in a satisfying hail of shrapnel like the Lord Humongous Death Tractor. There seemed to be a minor callback to that crash when the rig rears-ends and disintegrates a car.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

chitoryu12 posted:

Johnny was supposed to be the "new Night Rider". Johnny was already hanging on the edge of sanity and just needed further pushing to get him used to killing helpless people. "Ruthless" would be a better descriptor for Bubba Zanetti, who seems the most put-together out of everyone in the gang.
Yeah, but what's a Night Rider good for? A symbolic crazy man to inspire the rest? Or more cynically, someone to take the heat off the rest of them when he inevitably does something even more moronic and draws all the police? Johnny is clearly not leadership material.

I guess Wez might be a decent parallel - a useful resource to have on your side even though you would never in a million years put him in charge of anything. If I had to pick a parallel for Bubba in RW I'd say Bearclaw Mohawk. He seemed capable without being a total loose cannon. On the other hand, the only other bad dude character with a name was Toadie, so there's not a lot to choose from.

For Fury Road, maybe Rictus and (pre betrayal) Furiosa fill those roles?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I love how Wez is getting a haircut in one scene before they all roar off for more vehicular mayhem (when Max is bringing back the tanker IIRC). Always gotta have your (pre-/post-)apocalyptic hair looking fierce before a big fight.
Humongous was also shaving his legs with a giant machete when Max tries to escape. Clearly a man who will not tolerate sloppy appearances!

Also in that scene Wez appears to be sleeping in a crouch with war paint on next to a horse skull on a pole :black101: As soon as he hears the Interceptor his eyes snap open and he's ready to go. I wonder if they have meth in the wasteland.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
In my third viewing I noticed the other handful of Imperators throughout the horde and I finally heard Nux's line at the end since someone wrote it; it's definitely "you're gonna see two airborne V8s." Which I guess means "easy on the throttle or they're gonna blow up?" Also the wives seem to be hidden in the produce section. The leaves weren't nearly as vivid green as I expected so I didn't notice them earlier. It makes sense since they can't very well hide in the water and the hydroponics garden is conveniently close to their cell - they might have hid in the the stuff immediately upon leaving, although that would make for some oddly heavy wheel barrows/barrels/baskets/whatever they used to carry it down... The Bullet Farmer yelling "Sing brother Koch! Sing brothers!" as he's firing the (Heckler & Koch) MP5s was a nice touch too.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Shoren posted:

That said, Fury Road really blows the original movies out of the water. I never saw the original growing up despite my older brother watching them over and over when we were young. I finally watched Mad Max and Road Warrior and I was wholly unimpressed, I think it was from a lack of nostalgia and misplaced expectations. Hearing others talk about the movies I was exciting Max to be a total badass, one-man army kind of guy, but he always ended up crashing his car and getting the poo poo kicked out of him. I assume the intro to Fury Road is a callback to that because Max was a much better fighter in this one. Aside from setting the bar for post-apocalyptic settings I felt the originals were far too campy and disjointed.

Am I looking at the old movies the wrong way? What about them makes them classics in your eyes?
If you saw Fury Road first that would have totally warped your expectations for the originals. Max was never a "one-man army;" at best, he's an above average fighter, but I would bet on someone like Wez in a fair one-on-one fight. Note in that in the originals when he's left to his own plans he usually fails miserably; it's only when he joins others and fights for their cause that he accomplishes anything.

The quality of the first and third movies is certainly debatable but The Road Warrior is a classic. Think of it as a classic western in a different setting - a mysterious lone rider drifting around, a remote homestead/outpost being attacked by bandits/Indians, and a desperate stage coach chase to capture the (black) gold at the end. I re-watched it before my last viewing of Fury Road and I can't decide which one I like more.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

chitoryu12 posted:

I'd like to take this time to let everyone know that in the comic, Toast comes within inches of outright saying "Yeah, Joe likes to gently caress me in the rear end".
This is vital to the dramatic tension and provides key insights to the characters. Now we know why she was squirming so much after being caught! All this time I thought she was just a spoiled brat.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Cakefool posted:

Suspiciously fresh tyres on that war rig there Joe, not to mention the lovely matching ones on the front of Nuxs car... Got a tyre mine you're not telling us about?
The monster truck had visibly worn tires though, although some review was spergin about how those types of tires don't last long at all and where would they be getting replacements and futhermore

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

VideoTapir posted:

What is that rubber thing Rictus wears over his jaw?
Somebody who actually had medical knowledge about all those oxygen thingies posted about it way earlier in the thread and commended the accuracy of the movie. Unfortunately I forgot a lot of the specifics. I think the mask is a jaw supporter for sleep apnea(!). The thing he wears on his back is actually something you commonly see in nursing homes, but he ripped the wheels/case off and wears it like a backpack. Maybe an oxygen concentrator?

It fits with the backstory floating around that there's not actually anything wrong with their lungs; they're just using them as a status symbol.

david_a fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 9, 2015

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CeeJee posted:

You could fill a prequel with how the young rising star Furiosa gets to command the War Rig and has to earn the respect of its grizzled veterans.
Yeah you could but I hope they don't. The only way I would want to see Furiosa again is if they get her away from the Citadel in a sequel. I don't want to know her detailed backstory and I don't want to know the gory details of how the new regime rules the Citadel. The only tension you could have in a backstory is the details of how she loses her arm; you know she's going to make it to Fury Road! Leave the tedious backstories for superhero movies where I can ignore them.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
"The Tools of the Wasteland Featurette"

Bolt cutter documentary confirmed

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

FourLeaf posted:

Ugh, my coworker went on a rant today about how MMFR "really wasn't a good film," because "the story was weak and it was all style over substance" and how the "many female characters can't make up for zero worldbuilding"

I didn't say anything in response because we're not really friends but it made me mad. There's a difference between subtle worldbuilding where you might have to make an inference or two versus NO worldbuilding at all. Plus there were too drat many clever moments of characterization to even count. The movie was rich with detail, it's not the director's fault you're too dumb to notice it!
:sigh::hf::sigh:
Coworkers with terrible, terrible movie tastes are the worst. The "best" part is that they all consider me the one with horrible taste because I hosted a couple of Bad Movie Nights (Troll 2, Plan 9, etc) and because I don't fawn over every superhero movie. MY tastes are objectively superior you peons :reject:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

TollTheHounds posted:

In Summary: Good movie, not Great. My "issue" is how hyped it was as if it was going to be a spiritual experience. The hype is the problem I have with it, not the movie itself, if that makes any sense.
That's a problem with your expectations, though. Reading some blubbering by rabid fanboys is not going to put you in a neutral frame of mind, and if you can't get over your expectations while watching it you're going to have a bad time. I thought Prometheus was dumb when I watched it in theaters because I assumed it was going to be Alien 2.0. Watching it again with a different mindset completely changed the movie for me.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

thehomemaster posted:

Err, how? It would still have the plot holes and awful character decisions.
I really do not want to derail about Prometheus here, but it is similar to Fury Road in that it tells you a lot of things without direct exposition. If you're not paying attention it will seem like there are plot holes and bizarre character actions.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is the joke that the brand is real or something? His back tattoo seems to have migrated to his arms as well.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
That first deleted scene almost looks like the same location where Max was initially captured but the hills don't look quite right (there's also a noticeable trail in the deleted scene). Still, it's a nice callback to the capture and would explain what seems to be a bit of apprehension on Max's part for leaving the hills.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Young Freud posted:

More like Joe's DNA is so loving scrambled that almost nothing healthy comes out. You can see the line with Corpus being a deformed dwarf and Rictus being this giant hulk requiring a respirator. A healthy birth would pretty much be dependent entirely on the genetics inherited from the Wives and even that's a luck shot given how reproduction works.
The movie doesn't show anything to suggest that Rictus needs the CPAP machine and apparently the backstory is that it was a status thing. The movie does imply heavily that he's not the brightest boy around though; otherwise I'm not sure what else Joe could wish for in a heir.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Max would have a larger volume of blood since he's physically larger than Furiosa, but I don't know if that's enough to make it plausible. I found some online blood volume calculator based on gender / height / weight and there can be some dramatic differences.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CeeJee posted:

the Bluray (which you all of course will buy)
I found this on an Amazon review of the Blu-Ray:

quote:

The distributor of this film has decided to hold back two separate versions of Fury Road, promised by director Miller, to be included here and confirmed by him as having been completed in time for this release, because they want more of our money. The plan is to hold back these versions, including the increasingly popular Black and White version, which is spectacular, for inclusion on a later release of this film. The second or third edition of this film will be one of Warner's ever expanding line-up of complete releases that only come out after the company has made endless money on an initial, pathetic offering with missing features and exclusions galore.
I'm waiting for the B&W version.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Uh, Bruce Lee died from taking a painkiller, dude. If that's a stunt, I'm apparently a stuntman most sundays.
Do not, my friends, become addicted to facts in Internet comments, or they will take hold of you, and you will resent their absence.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Wait I thought the bluray was supposed to have an assload of features.
The eventual ultra-special-edition-we-mean-it-this-time will, but they have to milk the fans with a couple of bare-bones releases first.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

My (almost) 4 year old thinks this is the coolest movie ever and jumps off the couch blowing up pretend cars and tells me we've got to get the "Max Ma-uh Max - uh MAD Max" game. I am a good and/or terrible parent.
Has he seen the first one? Sounds a bit like the mechanic. "She su-su-sucks nitro, Max!"

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
If you're lucky. Near me, there is a single showing all the way across town (given Friday traffic, that is probably an hour+ away). And since it's IMAX 3D, the ticket cost is $15.75.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Deakul posted:

Or something like this too

Map Max? Also Max up there has a slight case of :pwn:

• Locked thread