Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I think this movie could/should be straight-up PG-13, but I also don't know much about the details of the rating system. It's actually tough for me to even think of too many graphically violent parts.

The goriest bit was mentioned earlier, it's probably the really short shot near the end when Joe's mask/jaw gets ripped off. You barely see it and then you later get another split-second shot of his body where you can just barely see the gore. In fact, anything that could be considered gory is going to be in a fast cut. The only other thing I can think of is when the old mother who has the seeds gets slashed. It looks really bad the moment you see it happen, but every time you see here after that the wound is mostly covered and not graphic.

Quite honestly, the most R-rated part for me was mostly done through dialogue/offscreen: The wasteland Caesarean. Stuff like that and the implied backstories made it feel R, not the blood.

There's even one bit that I thought was gory from the trailer but isn't really. That shot where the motorcycle hits the side of the War Rig and gets pulled under the wheels and there's a puff of red. I thought that was an edited bloody scene, but the guy is actually holding those colored smoke signal canisters and a red one bursts when he gets run over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Don't forget about the milking nudity.

For some reason the scene where Max washes with it is the part about the milk that stuck with me the most. It's such a strange and understated moment but it really works with the intertwining themes of life-giving motherhood and the gross and wasteful survivalism.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I think it was just chrome spray paint.

You too, like Charlie Kelly before you, can enter berserker mode in the real world!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

This is actually a tragic film about father Immortan Joe undertaking a fierce, 2-hour custody battle for his children.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

thatbastardken posted:

The crow people are (I think) inspired by a community of French shepherds who walked on stilts to cover ground quickly in swampy terrain. They were mentioned on QI once.

I thought about that same QI segment.

Painting from the 1800s:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Panfilo posted:

The War Rig being filled with breastmilk. I was half expecting it to just be filled with water, since I thought that was the Citadel's resource. It makes the Rig's journey a LITERAL 'milk run'!

Why was the Rig carrying the Guzzoline Pod in the first place? I thought they were gonna trade milk for guzzoline and bullets; I know Furiosa needed the guzzoline to bribe the Rockhopper guys, but it would seem awfully weird to everyone else they just happened to be carrying on the way to Gasstown

I didn't overthink this one, but the War Rig trailer seems to have multiple compartments inside it. There's milk in it but also tons of water and apparently some place where the girls were originally stowed. And maybe more guzzoline.

The pod could have been carried to Gastown regularly so they could bring back as much fuel as possible. Maybe it was thought to be empty but Furiosa secretly filled it when she was gassing up the rig so she would have her bargaining chip. I do like how you can fill in the details pretty much however you want at the edges of the plot, so that's what's I'm going with.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Speaking of loose ends, you never find out the fate of Corpus Colossus either. They wouldn't hurt him, right? :ohdear:

fake edit: I found these pictures so I've now decided there should be a spinoff where he is banished to the wasteland but teams up with puppies to survive

everything I discover about the actors and behind-the-scenes stuff is so joyful. lots of love all around this film.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The movie is fantastic and im going to see it many times but i will die on the hill that evaporating the oceans is dumb as hell and makes no sense at all

WoodrowSkillson posted:

That's never said in the movie at all

Hm, good point.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Ramsus posted:

-senses lizard approaching, focuses chi, stomps, kicks sideways scooping it to hand, eats
-gets superhuman nux kicked in the side, turns right side up and flies 6 ft to another rig
-fighting grandmas that couldn't even lift their weighted down bikes if they tipped, but somehow are pro at dune ridin
-girl waits at the top of a tower nude as bait all day every day i guess? what? sunburn?
-impossible civilizations constructed in the middle of no where after the apocalypse complete with massive machinery somehow hoisted to the top of cliffs with massive custom made gears and platforms
-water that you'd assume was finite but when the good guys win they just open the pipes
-tracked vehicle is shown driving around a bit, then max blows it up off screen somehow in a nod to a movie that has been ripped off so many times that it's hacky
-max is retarded for half the movie, and then does some stuff later on, should have called the movie anything but max

So many of these complaints are bizarrely nitpicky and only don't "make sense" in the most obtuse way possible.

The grandmas shouldn't be able to ride well? Why? They're fictional characters, it's a part of their characterization. They're not shown doing anything crazy strong, it's not unheard of for a 70-year-old to actually be capable.

Who said the naked girl waits there all day? There are multiple scenes where we see that you can see vehicles approaching on the horizon and that charatcers have telescopes. They saw the truck coming and set up the trap.

Yeah, opening the water was probably wasteful in the long run. Being sub-optimal in your actions is not a movie goof. Of course it makes sense. The citadel was liberated and the ladies turn the water on for all the others suffering. Maybe it's not tactically wise but it's not like it baffles the mind to comprehend the action.

Max does not have mental retardation, the film seemed fairly clear with this subtext, but I will hear persuasive counter-arguments.

The lizard complaint I've seen more than once and that one is the most baffling to be just because of how completely inconsequential it is. It really doesn't look superhuman or anything either.

I don't think this film was perfect but none of those are things that are wrong with it.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Qwertyiop25 posted:

Does anyone know the name of the actor that played the War Boy on Furiosa's war rig at the start? I swear I recognize him from something but I can't figure out what.

Jon Iles, the character's name was 'The Ace.' I really liked him, you get a lot of characterization from his older age and more thoughtful behavior.

e: oh dear, I have been witnessed in the worst way. :mediocre:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Isn't the compass thing right before they go into the dust? I thought it was just showing the effects of the crazy electrical storm inside.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Vulvalini is my favorite Fury Road misspelling, I've even seen some articles talk about what a fitting name it is.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

It's not from the soundtrack, it's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JVvxjxJ3WI

The part starts at ~1:40.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Yaws posted:

I don't see the point of this.

Even after George Miller carefully explains the point?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

RVWinkle posted:

Nitrous Oxide is a gas unless highly compressed and/or kept at sub zero temps so no it's the other one.

Nitro isn't nitrous, but they're both used in cars and in the film.

When you see the people turning valves inside the cars that make the hissing noise, that's nitrous oxide, laughing gas. It basically gives the engines more oxygen so they can burn more fuel at the same ratio, but it's not a fuel itself. In real life, it's used more often to increase total power under full throttle rather than being a "boost" button like the F&F movies show.

The liquid stuff is the nitro, nitromethane, which can be a straight fuel by itself and can also be explosive. It's what "funny car" drag racers and lots of hobby engines run on. The mixture contains its own oxygen so it can add a bunch of power without requiring the engine to take in much extra air. So when you throw that into a live engine, it actually does act like a straight up boost of power because of the extra combustion, but as shown in the film it can be pretty damaging to components.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

This shot isn't in the film, right? I've seen it twice, but maybe I'm going blind.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

I assumed there were three sections of the tanker, one of which still had gas in it. Only way it really makes sense that they had 160 days worth of gas when setting out into the salt, unless the Vulvani had a bunch of extra gas around. Though now I wonder why they had that much extra gas if they were originally going to go TO gastown to get more. Maybe they were going to empty out the water and milk reserves then fill back up? Meh.

The funny part to me is the turn-around after the brief ride into the salt must mean they spent a couple hours emptying everything from the tanker into jerry cans or something to prep, then when they decided to go back they had to do it again in reverse. Unless there was a bunch left over in the tanker that they didn't have the portable storage for in the first place.

This has always been my theory. I don't give too much thought to the 160-day supply figure, but the fact that the trailer held water, milk, and the wives at some point makes it pretty clear that it has multiple compartments inside that can possibly be modified as needed. From that assumption as well as the fact that the pod was detachable I figure that there must be a significant gas tank in the trailer as well.

If you want to get more speculative, I've also assumed that the rear gas pod was presumably brought to Gas Town empty for fill-ups but Furiosa somehow got it filled surreptitiously when she was fueling the rig so she would have her bargaining chip.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I might be reading the posts wrong but the Bullet Farmer and the People Eater are not related to Immortan Joe or to each other.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

OhGreatAGinger posted:

Furiosa had only one emotion that was interrupted for maybe twenty seconds in the entire movie.

You might have some of the classic goon face-blindness and/or autism.

What is the sole human emotion you can recognize?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Again though, that's feminist 101 poo poo, big loving deal? In the year 2015 that's becoming standard in media. It's hardly note worthy at this point. Something truly worth discussing would be the women used as sex slaves to create children (I wonder how many internet activists actually realize this is a real world issue, probably very few), but everyone keeps overlooking that part in favor of Furiosa having an equal part to Max because that scares masculine men or some weird poo poo.

It at best bears mentioning, "ooh, the female characters are equal." But to see it get blown up as much as it has over this film???? The internet is stupid.

Basic feminism may seem like a low bar but no, it's really not standard in media. It is indeed noteworthy, which is why people are noting it.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Update: my brother, un-wedgied, declared the movie ugly because it's bright and thus unrealistic, everything in it is unrealistic. He also said that there are "jew names" in the credits, probably (he dropped that complaint after I listed the producers)

That is what he said.

Are you Donal Gibson?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

For your dialogue queries, some madman has gone ahead and transcribed the film: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fQqJtrIMcsJKkaJ3sQ4IT7KjWuCFdafeB0rN6D9EoP4/pub

I've only scanned through it but it seems pretty accurate. That Nux line was "I am the man who grabs the sun…riding to Valhalla! Witness me, Blood Bag! Witness!" and the line at the end is indeed, "You hear that? We’re gonna see two airborne V8s."

edit: well I spoke too soon since apparently the guy couldn't figure out the word "Fukushima," but nothing seems too blatantly wrong

Ror fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

moths posted:

You have to discount a lot of information in that first scene for that reading to work.

I'm specifically talking about the Doof Wagon, Joe's monster truck, and People Eater's rig being in that vision's convoy and hitting the girl in the exact way it misses Valkyrie and the old lady.

The face of the guy who later crossbows Max also flashes during the vision where he raises his hand. I don't think it's meant to imply that Max has some sort of future vision, it's just a stylistic choice. It makes the movie rhyme more, like poetry.

We can assume that the little girl is dead. She may or may not have been run down, it doesn't matter, the vision of Joe's convoy running her down like all the visions isn't meant to be literal, they're just feverish dreams that incorporate his past with his present and sometimes, interestingly, his future.

• Locked thread