Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

SMG, I have to admit I can never tell if you are being serious or if you just attempt to cleverly poo poo up all threads.

Admittedly I am pretty new around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Thanks to this thread I've learned that all my friends and family have been doing it wrong, talking about the doof (pronounced 'roof') warrior/wagon. It is supposed to be doof (pronounced 'woof') which none of us can wrap our minds around. Now I've read maybe a hundred pages of this thread and forty other articles/reviews/things on the internet in the past week about this film, so I cannot remember for sure where I saw this. But the #1 definition of the word is Aussie slang for an unsanctioned rave, or something like that.

I could swear I read a second definition somewhere recently. Bonus: I cannot even remember what this second definition was. I am getting old and my mind is becoming feeble. And if it was in this thread, I cannot find it now.

Anyone know what it is?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered and I missed it, but does anyone have any shots of the War Boys making the V-8 symbol?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I know someone mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I cannot seem to find it right now. Can anyone tell me about the "Art of Mad Max-Fury Road" book?

Good, worth the purchase?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

is it too late to hire the Vagina Monologues author to punch up the script for the game?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

"...Our sons will not be warlords."

You are loving-A right.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What in the blue hell is a P-Zombie?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I've seen this film in the theater more times than I care to admit in the thread. Including one more viewing today, right before it disappears from theaters.

This movie is a wonder, a triumph of visual storytelling. The intensity, pace, and show-don't-tell of the first third of the film never fails to amaze me. I never really exhale until the flare burns out.

Time to buy the soundtrack, the art book, comic books, every drat thing. Blu Ray preordered. Keeping a watch out for toys.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This may have already been covered, but what do you think Furiosa's plan was, as far as Ace and the eight or so War Boys that were on her rig?

She had to have figured they'd get attacked by the Buzzards, since she was driving through their "patch". But the huge storm later seems like a random thing that she couldn't have planned on, but had the benefit of sucking all the crew up off the rig to their deaths (aside from Ace who she knocked off the driver's side door)

So how was she planning on getting rid of these guys?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I never understood Nux's line, either. He does say "did you hear that?" and then says something about "two V-8's" maybe? The last three times I saw it I took great pains to figure it out, and couldn't.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Cakefool posted:

If you're looking for it there was also a lot of shots sped up in the first chase scene.

There are a ton of these undercranked shots all throughout the film. It's kind of Miller's thing, he did it in all the previous Max films. Or at least in the first and second ones. But what's great is he knows how to use it, in what proportion to use it, without it looking dumb

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, at about 19:45 an audience member asks the leads what they thought when they finally saw the finished film, and Tom is first to answer. Pretty interesting.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

SMG, I think most of the people in this thread understand Fury Road just fine

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

jeeves posted:

This is because Ace is awesome.

He gets better on rewatches when you notice how he holds his mouth

THIS! I became more fascinated with it with each rewatch.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, you'll notice that Slit actually starts to get a maniacal grin when the crushing begins.

And, as his car gets rolled and crushed, Slit screams "VALHALLAAAAAA!"

Nux hears this as he's working on engine 1, and looks over.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Crisco Kid posted:

Check out this awesome stuff I found on tumblr:

Somebody noticed a weird little seat on one of the harpoon cars in the final chase toward the Citadel. What's up with this? It looks like a goofy detail, until another person observed that the guy's legs never move. But also scope out the two dudes on the hood.

The other War Boys are crawling all over their vehicles, even jumping between them mid-chase, yet these guys are braced and padded in -- they're not going anywhere. Another eagle-eyed poster confirmed that, unlike every other car, nobody dove or fell or crawled off this particular vehicle, because these War Boys are all severely injured or paralyzed. Suddenly the architecture of their vehicle becomes obvious, but is this detail ever focused on in the film? Nope. It's easy to miss, but even if these War Boys can't stand, but they can still do war and enter the gates of Valhalla by dying historic on the Fury Road. :unsmith:

Great find! I have seen the film seven times and somehow never noticed this vehicle.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This thread has gone full-on loving crazy, now.

I'll add this... I would not dig up the transformers threads to post this, because it would be uncool.

But since those titles come up constantly in this thread, I have no compunction about saying here that in my personal opinion all films in the Transformers series make poo poo hold its nose

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Snak posted:

I think that CGI broke Michael Bay. I think when shots had to be planned out around what was physically possible, he knew how to make stuff look and feel badass. I think he's one of those directors who kind of lost their edge when CGI opened up a world of possibilities.

I've made my opinions on Transformers clear, but I do love me some Bad Boys and The Rock. I'm not a total Bay-Basher. So I tend to agree with you.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

When the ultimate objective is to catalog plot points on wookiepedia, the fact that Optimus Prime disappears between shots is a threat.

I'm saving this to my hard drive, in my compilation of greatest things I've ever seen on the internet.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Laserface posted:

I cannot believe there is 229 pages of people talking about a movie in which some people drive through the desert, turn around, and come back again.

it was a fun film but that is literally as deep as it got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLdpf6wJFyg

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Some really basic making ofs, no alternative cuts, no black and white or silent cut, not even a directors commentary? And only like 4 deleted scenes. Yeah I'd say it's pretty bare bones.

This is extremely disappointing to me. Miller's GOT to do a commentary. But I guess it will be on the double or triple-dip release, eh

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Oh, now you've done it, Snak.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Rock Riders!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Boo-Hiss.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Maybe, just maybe... there is an outside chance for Miller in best director?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

They did enhance the eyes at some points, to make them stand out a little more where they otherwise would have been sort of underexposed due to the shadow of the brow. There was a link I thought I'd bookmarked about this, but I cannot find it now.

Best example I can remember is the scene when Nux drives up next to the rig with Max still crucified on front, and Furiosa and Max make eye contact, although there were a few others.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Absolutely, that one! Thank you.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

And it just ain't stopping. WITNESS!!!!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Where is Cheedo?

e: The one at the bottom left? But she has no long dark hair!
e2: I'm dumb, that is clearly Nux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

please dont doxx the ultimate killing machine

SMG's real name is Chadwick, and he works with Zakharov's wife?

• Locked thread