Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The concept art rules, but it is not Brendan Mccarthy, who was announced as the co-writer and designer a long time ago. Still, the Mccarthy's style is all over these pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Firstborn posted:

Fans who think this movie needs to be Road Warrior Again but with Tom Hardy. Would anyone think Max had way too many lines in the movie he had... 40? I can imagine the process of having to carefully pick which 16 lines he has to say because THAT'S WHAT ROAD WARRIOR HAD, GUYS. I'd like to think that Gibson having so few lines was a little more organic.

It's kind of funny, you know? The article goes (16 lines confirmed guys!) like fans were waiting to hear that Max doesn't talk in this movie, or something. Honestly I never even noticed Road Warrior has so few lines for Max and though it may be indicative of the badass loner persona, never really saw it as a character trait that he barely speaks.

Reminds me of Dredd, when instead of talking about the movie a lot of early promotional material centered around :siren:"DREDD DOES NOT TAKE OFF HIS HELMET" :siren: and it helped to create some positive nerd buzz (that has done jack poo poo in the end). Dredd turned out to be amazing, and Mad Max looks just as awesome.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mutant guitarists seen on the PA truck with flames coming out the guitars.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

DC also put out a book of Fury Road-inspired art by various comic book artists
Some :krad: examples

Mike Allred:

Simon Bisley:

Javier Pullido:

Riley Rossmo:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

This movie is loving insane, I want nothing but cars, murder and solidarity in my life from now.

So much love put into sets and costumes.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

"WITNESS ME" and "I LIVE! I DIE! I LIVE AGAIN!" deserves to become the new "THIS IS SPARTA".

Hey, Mad Max series has its own canon of classic quotes for living up to.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

drunkill posted:

I hope the art book includes all the vehicles and some alternate/concept designs that didn't make it into the movie.

One of the planned machines was a lovechild of a train and a plane

more here

The concept designer and a co-writer on Fury Road, Brendan McCarthy, also did a "Mad Max on water" comic back in the 80s called Freakwave. He shipped it around Hollywood so you may guess he doesn't like Kevin Costner very much. It looked like this:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Great Rumbler posted:

I can see why George Miller wanted to bring this guy on board, despite him having relatively little experience in the movie industry. That comic looks phenomenal and now I really want to find a copy of it somewhere.

McCarthy actually did a lot of animation/movie work: weird architecture of Coneheads is him, designs for ReBoot tv series, some Jim Henson studio projects.
The comic is collected in this volume

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Baron Bifford posted:

There's supposed to be a fuel shortage in the future yet we have cars that can drive for days without stopping for a refuel.

Next thing you say that it is impossible to feed a small army on milk from a dozen women.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Immortan Wayne Gary Wayne

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

TheJoker138 posted:

Just read the Immortan Joe half of the comic:

The citadel wasn't constructed by Joe, it was a natural formation that existed before the war, with cave systems running through, the only man made thing in it was the water pumps. He took it over from the buzzards who had been living there, with him and the man who would become the Bullet Farmer as the only two of the invading force to survive. That's why he's thought of as being immortal, because he survived when no one else could.

Bullet Farmer was his right hand man and in the military with him before the apocalypse.

People Eater was a guy they picked up post-apocalypse, who led them to the citadel.

"No oceans" theory confirmed. They show a shot of the coast, right by the Sidney Opera House, and it's nothing but desert, with ships in the sand.

Next issue if Furiosa, so these burning questions about how a woman could have possibly become an Imperator will be answered then, I guess.

Also, The Fall is defined as the day the power went off, rather than the direct nuclear hit.

And the name of the Bullet Farmer is Major Kalashnikov :ussr:

The Bullet Farm and the Gastown are shown:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

dr_rat posted:

Pretty sure someone just accidentally nuked the ocean floor cracking it and letting all the oceans water flow down deep to the earth hollow core, drowning all the lizard people residing within.

Yep :350:

Tony Abbot had to stop the boats somehow

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Early Immortan Joe concept, painfully :mediocre:, he looks like a bad fighting game boss

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

And speaking of voices, :haw: were the Buzzards speaking Russian? Someone elsewhere said they were speaking "gopnik" which, from what I gather, is kind of a low-class dialect, similar to what you'd hear some street punks use. Which leads me to a question: is there a large Russian population in Australia, which would explain them being there, or was there something else? Russian invasion? Russian mob reaching into Australia before/during society's breakdown? Something else?

Yeah, they were saying something along the lines of "What are these assholes doing in our neighbourghood?" in the clear gopnik-style Russian.
The Bullet Farmer is a Russian mercenary, according to the prequel comic written by Miller, maybe they are the remnants of the same company.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Imagine a Mad Max war boys tribe built around out of context Zizek quotes
pure ideology

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ebola Dog posted:

Is there a physical release of the comics? It says at the end of http://www.vertigocomics.com/blog/2...y-the-beginning there should be but I can't find any other info on it. If there is a physical print is there anywhere in the UK I can get it?

Try http://www.comicshoplocator.com/

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Saw it again, still owns.
Little detail that I loved: Cheedo the Fragile, the one that had a brief panic moment and tried to run away, puts on the "tribal" headband and the vest after meeting the kickass grannies. Later, when she decides to lure out Rictus from Immortan's car, she takes them off.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Frankenstyle posted:

One of my first coherent thought after leaving the theater was "Good I lord want a two hour Mythbusters Fury Road special". Hell I could watch a season of them committing atrocities on high performance engines.

Immortan Joe, Bullet Farmer and People Eater for the new Top Gear crew

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

When the movie gets cult screenings in the next few years whole theater should do that

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

e: wrong thread

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

hemale in pain posted:

I'm amazed people even think this like 70 year old man would even know what Borderlands is

AHEM

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/john-carpenter-s-top-six-games-of-2013/1100-4814/
http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/john-carpenter-s-top-5-games-of-2014/1100-5151

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

Bad Boys 2 isn't the best Michael Bay film, but it is the most Michael Bay film. It loving kills me that it isn't on Blu-Ray.

Probably in queue for Criterion Collection, where it rightly belongs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Complaining about Michael Bay is so 2011, you guys.

• Locked thread