Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I haven't read this forum since Prometheus came out and I can't believe you guys still let SMG post here. What is wrong with you people?

Other than that thanks for all the fun pages of opinion. This movie is so incredible that it awoke a part of my brain that I thought died sometime around 1998 or so. Actual unencumbered love for a movie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

When you say insanely dumb stuff like "men can't be feminists" you are moving away from the realm of opinion and into the realm of you being a huge idiot

So are you like related to SuperMechGodzilla or are you just from like the same part of monster island orrrrrr

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

As someone that thinks of women as equals it feels weird to praise this film for its positive portrayal of women because it's like yeah, of course the women in the story were as important as the men. Why wouldn't they be? I'm just going to keep enjoying it because it's a mastercraft achievement in filmmaking instead of trying to give it the blue special olympics ribbon for not taking a poo poo on half the world's population.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah that's great, but what this movie does is so loving rare that you kind of have to give it praise. It doesn't matter that you, personally, already think of women as equals and human beings. I do too, but most Hollywood movies don't.

Yeah I was only speaking for me personally, everyone else feel free to go forth and shame hollywood to your hearts' content.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Efexeye posted:

*sprays teeth with chrome* WITNESS ME

Are threads in CD always like this?

No, they are usually completely different.

(Equally lovely to the last few pages but usually SMG's fault)

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

The movie is flawless but I did hate how they got Max like so close to getting into it again.

I wanted Max to get the interceptor back like crazy, but I also completely respect the way Miller teased giving me that fanservice and then ripped it away. Fury Road is about telling a very specific story, it's not about pushing nostalgia buttons for nostalgia's sake. There's a poo poo-looking Star Wars on the way for anyone that wants to fetishize objects over story.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's decent. I wouldn't call it mandatory, and Nux's story kinda feels like those bad Star Wars EU backstories, but I don't regret buying it, and plan to get the rest.

Are the other three of those coming out monthly or weekly? I need my methadone...

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

Here's that picture mentioned in my last post:

Don't get me wrong, I adore that MMFR is not a slave to continuity on any level, but what an interesting and deliberate choice to make. You could say it's a more visual link between Max's dead family and the "family" he is becoming involved with, but I don't think it really strengthens the story. Or perhaps, like the destruction of the interceptor, it's a direct "gently caress you" to anyone that was seeking fanservice (in the form of slavish continuity with a 36-year-old movie).

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Efexeye posted:

Or he's crazy and can't remember things so well

Oh well sure, I just meant it in the sense of "If we take that screenshot from a video game REAL seriously for a sec because we are bored, then..."

TheJoker138 posted:

It's pretty hard to have a vision of a 8 month year old talking to and jumping out at your main character without being ridiculous.

I really want to rewatch the original but now I have a 2-year-old son and I don't think I could deal with THAT scene. I'm also unable to reread Pet Sematary. "Being a parent changes everything" is a horseshit cliche, but I'll be damned if I can't stomach seeing toddlers get hurt/killed in fiction anymore.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

The scene in question is actually much, much tamer than people actually remember. Seriously, it's a shot of them running with bikers in the distance, then a cut to a shoe and a ball, and then the next time you see anything it's Max running towards them and holding their bloodless, seemingly perfectly fine/clean bodies.

Yeah exactly, I could deal with lovely prop mangled bodies but Miller is really skilled and the tension plus my own imagination is so much worse.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

ALFbrot posted:

Yes this certainly seems like a series of real events that occurred in real life

No seriously they aren't selling models of the cars from this movie, hosed up I know.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Black Bones posted:

Dudes, that is a great way to view James Bond! An id that comes with the numerical code! I love it :rock:

The Bible is apt, since it is essentially disparate books written by different people over hundreds of years (many of whom didn't even have access to the other books), mashed together to create a definitive narrative covering the evolution of God.

There have been other Mad Maxesque films mentioned in the thread, like Doomsday and Stryker. But I haven't seen them yet, so I dunno if they are canon or not. But they could be! How exciting!

Ok, how bout this: Mad Max is always the same person, but like Christ is to Jesus of Nazareth, so Max is to Gibson and Hardy (and whoever will star in the future sequels and remakes) - the pushing through the pain and anger and insanity of losing your family to adopt complete strangers as your family. To become a husband and father of the world.

I will defend anyone's right to have their own "head canon", and to some degree I agree with your assertion that fans who play with inter-work continuity have more vivid imaginations. That being said, sharing your dumb theories in public (much less arguing for them) is excruciatingly embarrassing to watch and I wish you'd stop.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Do most blu-ray players have the ability to let you watch a movie at half-speed? I really really want to watch this movie at half-speed.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Efexeye posted:

why anyone would attempt a Serious Movie Discussion with SMG in tyool 2015 is way beyond me

This movie is so well-liked that new people unfamiliar with SMG are coming into CD. I miss Paradol Ex and Toblerone Triangular, now those were trolls that only got funnier the more fuel you dumped on them.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Squidster posted:

They released the Furiosa comic today. It's not bad, but it feels pretty unnecessary.

It's presented as a history woman re-telling old tales as a dust storm assails the birdcage, now full of men, woman and children.
Immortan Joe is having difficulty keeping Rictus away from the Wives, so he assigns Furiosa to stand guard in the birdcage. She doesn't much care for the spoiled and pampered Wives, but after listening to Joe have his way with them enough times, she can no longer bear it. They heavily imply that Furiosa was a failed Wife, and that her arm was lost in battle in some unknown place.

After the creepy doctor guy invents the chastity belts, Furiosa is no longer needed in the birdcage, and is rewarded for her service with her new war rig.

I do really dig the artstyle on Furiosa, though. She feels appropriately mythic.

This comic makes me feel like we need a little gif (just like the Immortan Joe gif) of Corpus Colossus sliding in, with the word "ADEQUATE" appearing. I don't feel like I wasted $5 on it, but it wasn't as good as the previous one.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Also, there are 50 Fury Road Interceptor models to be won, I'm in.

Where are you seeing this? It's not on their site...

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

That's too much scoffing for a guy with that avatar.

Most of the Fury Road comics have been somewhere between bad and sophomoric but the Nux story was pretty good.

I'm a little surprised at how casually people in this thread have poo poo on comics in general. I would think that CD would be more likely to understand that a storytelling medium can vary wildly in quality, and that commercially popular works (superhero and sequel poo poo in both mediums) are rarely indicative of the artistic heights they can achieve.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Snak posted:

There are some good comics and good graphic novels, but "comics in general" are pretty loving awful.

So just like movies, music, books, and people, then.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Snak posted:

I think that comics have severely lagged behind as film and popular society have become more progressive. More specifically, I think that up until very recently, downright offensive treatment of female characters in comics was basically given a pass by the mainstream media because is wasn't even on the radar. Imagine if we looked at sexism in comics the way that we look at sexism in hollywood.

Hit me up if you have PMs, I wouldn't mind discussing it further but I don't want to poo poo the thread up any further.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Example:

Dredd had a shitload of hype. It loving owned.

Snowpiercer had a shitload of hype. It loving sucked poo poo.

A movie being hyped has zero impact on its quality.

Sure but it can have a lot of impact on your enjoyment level. I waiting a month or so to see Episode 1 and I had an ok time because it wasn't good but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the whining indicated.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Philip Rivers posted:

I appreciate Rashomon as groundbreaking and a technical masterpiece but I really don't like it, like I'd rather watch pretty much any other Kurosawa film.

I agree but that's because it's the one Kurosawa film I think would work better in color. If it was in color it would be in my top 5 Kurosawa films. That great shot of the sun through the trees, Toshiro Mifune bounding out of the forest, the colorful gate muted by the rain...I bet it was just gorgeous.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I'd never seen a mad max film until a few minutes ago when I watched mad max 1, what was it/ is it that people love about this film? was it just revolutionary for the time? Because I thought it was absolute garbage, are the sequels better?

You've made it through the most boringest one, now go forth and enjoy yourself because the other three and fantastic.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Oh good I thought it was just me, phew.Some of the shots in this movie were good (like 10 shots were great) but every second someone was talking I was just thinking "Am I missing the point or is the movie really this bad?" I'll watch the other movies ASAP.

Yeah don't sweat it. But if you don't like Road Warrior and Fury Road it's time to check your pulse.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I'm sure the first Mad Max is great if you're an Australian, but as an ignorant American it plays more like a documentary about late 70s Australia. It's no more unbelievable than movies from the 70s/80s about New York City.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

The entire time I was watching Beyond Thunderdome, I kept thinking that Grace Jones could play Tina Turner's role about 100 times better.

Did you realize that we live in a world where Grace Jones never played a Klingon? I mean gently caress.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

She woulda mopped the floor with a Klingon.

No you're right I was being shortsighted and unconsciously racist, she would actually make a baller Vulcan.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

That movie sucks so bad.

I can forgive a lot of what it did but the idea of glorifying vigilante violence and/or portraying any of the characters as even slightly heroic in a Watchmen movie I mean lol.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

MMAgCh posted:

I recently bought the Mad Max trilogy on blu-ray. One thing that did intrigue me is that the US dub of the first film features some background dialogue that has been moved around and/or made far more prominent compared to the Australian version.

The three instances I remember:
  • When Roop and Charlie try to get their engine started again after sideswiping the traffic sign, the original has Nightrider saying his "I am a rocker…" line on the radio, which is repeated near the end of the chase. The dub instead has him saying "Do you hear me, pigs? Do you hear me, Bronze pigs? Do you hear me, Bronze? … [unintelligible] Well, you missed us, pig! Hey, big brother Bronze, this is the Nightrider, and…[unintelligible]" on the radio.
  • In the original version, when Max is seen for the first time at the Halls of Justice the radio chatter in the background is virtually incomprehensible. In the dub there's considerably more audible dialogue by what I presume is the Main Force dispatcher: "Penalties against pirate towing-operators will be stiffened considerably in the next quarter. Driver detention will be replaced by rig confiscation… [unintelligible]. Second offenders under the new decree will be met by state appropriation of the unauthorised vehicles. Memorandum three: The[se?] incidents have been reported recently in the People's Gazette. There is to be no dealing in petroleum by members of the Main Force. Memorandum Seven: The Captains of the Hall have asked that pursuit officers refrain from using the slang 'Bronze' for the Main Force Patrol. The word is considered disrespectful and citizens should actively be discouraged from its use."
  • When Max visits Fifi to hand in his resignation, the original version just has some music playing in the background. In the dub the MF dispatcher can also be heard on the radio: "All vehicle repairs must be authorised by the Hall Captains. Officers may not deal directly with underground mechanics. Doing so is an offence."
Of course I might be the only person left to whom this is news. :shobon: I like how most of those additional lines provide a little more insight into how the world is ever so gradually going to poo poo, even if the dub in general was a dumb idea.

Thanks for posting this. I definitely would've enjoyed the movie more if this kind of thing was prominent enough to be noticed.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Oh good I thought I was just being cranky when I thought that video totally sucked balls. Aside from all the other complaints it doesn't even fake being a game you can actually play. Like that Game of Thrones JRPG video at least looked like an excerpt of a playable game...

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's basically like complaining about all the horrible CGI in this image, from the last page

Shush.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I don't watch the oscars, what 6 things did it win?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Blind Sally posted:

yeah, Miller wrote it and Miller is on deck to direct it.

God dammit I had finally come around to accepting that it wasn't happening. I don't think I can deal with the idea that Miller had another story in his head that he wants to make that I may never get to see.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Gargamel Gibson posted:

That's a poo poo idea.

I agree but here's a fun mental exercise: what if George Miller himself told you that's what he wanted to do? After fury road I think I'd be down for anything he wants to try.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Boy I wish I had never asked that very silly hypothetical question.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

James Cameron, when left to his own devices, has always made horrible bloated messes. The director's cut of Aliens is stunningly mediocre, whereas Ray Lovejoy's theatrical cut is an absolute masterpiece of pacing.

What about Terminator? Or is that a "broken clock twice a day" thing in your opinion?

Also, hi Jakiri, long time no see.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Luminous Obscurity posted:

As soon as Chapter Doof starts playing I just floor the gas on reflex it never fails

If you haven't done something at least slightly illegal/dangerous as a result of listening to the soundtrack in your car than gtfo of this thread.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Some days I get to thinking about Fury Road and it's like Jaws or Star Wars came out and no one really even noticed. This should've been in theaters for a year. I should be serving my kids Fury Road breakfast cereal. Hot Wheels should have a line of "not officially branded Fury Road cars but aping the aesthetic to cash in on the immense popularity" cars. I should be sick to death of hearing the soundtrack everywhere I go. There are a lot of movies I love that I understand why they aren't more popular, but with Fury Road it's just surreal that it isn't a much much bigger deal.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

It's strange that you focused on only 2 of the 4 examples of success I gave.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Better to die a free man than live with that thing on your face imo

You could just lose weight too I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

This guy that rapes me and lets his kid rape me over and over again...I bet he's just gay teehee.

That was clumsy and lovely but I'm willing roll with it being in character with the person saying it. She's just a kid and dealing with huge emotions and all she can come up with in the moment is that weird off-target insult.

• Locked thread