Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

My best memory of the series was renting the Mad Max DVD and seeing that there were 'English' and 'Australian' audio tracks. "I thought they spoke English in Australia?" I thought and loaded up the Australian. Cue the Night Rider scene and total gibberish :v:

Wait im confused, is the "English" track a terribly dubbing track or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Blind Sally posted:

Want your immersion spoiled on the Toecutter crash clip? Watch it closely. The semi truck they got for the crash was rented or something, so they didn't want to damage it in the scene. So, they build a huge metal panel and painted it the same colour as the front of the truck for the bike to harmlessly crash into. The first bit of the clip clearly shows the semi truck bearing down on the camera. Then it cuts to the Toecutter's eyes popping out, then back to the truck--but this time it's the metal panel painted to look like the front of the truck. The lights are clearly painted on. In the scene from the side you can even see space between the metal panel and the truck, where it's hooked on. (Movie magic!)

To be fair, its not really apparent until the truck gets much closer in the shot and you start to see the wonky paint lines that it becomes more obvious. Still a clever way of getting the scene shot.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Mad Max is definitely dystopian but not quite post apocalypse.

The Road Warrior is specifically post apocalypse though.

Mad Max 3 however is definitely absolute garbage.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Beyond Thunderdome is a pretty.. well bad movie, in my opinion, for the most part even if it does have some interesting aspects. However one thing I found interesting about what it "lacks" is an identifiable vehicle for Max. The interceptor is as much a character in the first two movies as Max is. It represents his inhumanity to a degree but also his strength as well.

By leaving out this fundamental aspect of the character I really thought Thunderdome dropped the ball somewhat. Max either needs one of two things, "something to die for" as in vengance or slowly dying in the desert as he goes from fuel source to fuel source or "something to live" for such as the oil settlement people..

Its not just about how cool the interceptor is, its like Han Solo without the Falcon.. it represents too much of the character to really be done away with completely.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Thunderdome is really not a very good film. To be fair its been many years since I have seen it but the entire thing basically grinds to a halt as soon as the kids appear. The earlier scenes had some good moments though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Damo posted:

Another person who has somehow made it to my 30s without ever seeing a Mad Max film, even though they seem right up my alley, checking in.

Watched the first one last night, it was all right. Mostly enjoyed all the vehicle stunts and stuff. Enjoyed it well enough but I'm looking forward to watching the second one tonight since it basically seems like it takes all the cool poo poo from the first one and blasts it into overdrive. I'm sure I'll love it.

Fury Road looks incredible.

Go back and watch the original again in a couple of months or so. I appreciated it a LOT more the second time around as generally Its a bit different a film to what you expect and mars the first viewings.

• Locked thread