Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
I can't wait for this film as I'm a huge, huge Mad Max series fan. Pretty bummed that we have to wait until May 2015 though - that means we probably won't get a teaser until December 2014 at the earliest.

I also wonder if Avalanche Studios' Mad Max game will be delayed also to coincide more closely with the 2015 movie release. They initially mentioned 2014 as a release date, but they've been oddly quiet about releasing any info since revealing the game last summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
Some cool concept art for Fury Road showed up on Ebay (and was then taken down or sold it looks like). Some of the character and vehicle art looks to be a pretty close match to set photos - I expect these designs will be fairly close to what we see on-screen. More images at Aint It Cool. Looks like Rictus Erectus will be the "Wez" to Immortan Joe.

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
So there was a test screening of Fury Road last week (over a year in advance of its May 2015 release) and the impressions of the unfinished film seem to be mixed. Some impression quotes gathered from here:

quote:

My friend said it was pretty badass, basically one long chase movie. He felt the current cut was pushing the PG-13 limit, and naturally encouraged them to just go full R.

quote:

Just saw a Mad Max advance screening. I can’t say much about it but let’s just hope they do tons of re-shoots before it’s released next year, or start again from scratch. Also Tom Hardy can’t stop doing the Bane voice. So annoying.

quote:

if The Road Warrior is The Terminator in terms of action and quality then Fury Road is Terminator 2.

quote:

It's a fantastic ensemble cast. Tom Hardy is really good as Max. As in the Road Warrior, Max is a man of very few words in this movie, especially for the first 2/3rds of it. He doesn't play the character exactly the same as Mel played it. In some ways, he's a bit of a different character. And as I said before, this film is more of an ensemble piece with several characters all working together toward a goal. In the original trilogy, Mel was sort of like Clint Eastwood in the Man With No Name westerns. He had a clear goal and we followed him as he sought that goal. That aspect is not quite as strong in this film. That may bother some people, but it didn't bother me.

I think Tom Hardy was a good choice because he's a good, charismatic actor who is willing to be the lead in the movie but not say a lot. Another actor might have demanded more lines, more focus on him, etc..

Charlize Theron is great too and has a really cool look with her shaved head and sporting a mechanical arm. Nicholas Hoult was pretty great to, although almost completely unrecognizable.

There were some serious die-hard Mad Max fans in the audience and they all loved it. The consensus was that it was worth the 30 year wait and that they didn't care that it was very different from the early films.

It does NOT take place anywhere in the timeline of the other films. Not really. I feel like the person who said that only said that because Max is driving the Black on Black V8 Interceptor at the beginning (sorry if that's a mild spoiler). But basically everything else about this movie is different. But there are little nods to the other films all over. I wouldn't even say this takes place in the same world as the other films. It's a different post-apocalyptic world. Max is even a different character in some ways. It's actually easier to describe the few things that are the same in this film as the other trilogy than to try and describe all the things that are different (it didn't matter, the fans loved it anyway).

quote:

...there are some slight mutations. Costumes and personalities are definitely over the top (in a good way). As far as makeup for mutations, I think it's all pretty much on the realistic side. Nobody running around looking like an alien or inhuman monster.

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005

Blind Sally posted:

There's some interesting stuff in there and I'm heartened by the overall positive response, considering all the delays, but holy crap those people are getting WAAAY too wound up about continuity and whether or not there are enough callbacks to the older films.

No kidding. I have no problem with Max being a timeless post-apoc figure that exists outside of a linear timeline. The trilogy can pretty much exist each as their own stand-alone story anyway. The Road Warrior was framed as a relayed legend/story by the Feral Kid with all of the embellishment/inaccuracy that that implies, and I imagine Fury Road will have a similar framing, what with the "Word Burgers of the History Men" plot description that came out some time ago.

There's a unsubstantiated rumor that a Fury Road teaser might be attached to the Godzilla movie this summer, but I'm not holding my (atomic) breath since Fury Road's release is over a year out. Would be nice though, just to get an idea of the look of the film and a glimpse of the characters.

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
SDCC poster

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
A more recent rumor from yesterday's screening said that George Miller says two more films are in the works. I'm sure that all depends on how much money this film makes, however. Hard to believe we're still 10 months out from the film's general release.

Feedback from the screener was good, although it sounds like it's closer in tone and style to BT rather than RW. Not sure how I feel about CGI "fire-tornadoes". Effects, ADR work and soundtrack are still not done, but they certainly have plenty of time to finish it.

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
New trailer is out. Looks suitably insane.

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
Love this shot:

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
Rottentomatoes has Fury Road listed as an R rated film (by no means the official, announced rating). Although I wish it could be R-Rated, I'm sure the studio will go the typical "safe money" route and sanitize it just enough for PG-13. Would be great if they took a chance with an R rating, ushering in a new era of big-budget R-rated actioners that...hahahahaha, couldn't finish that sentence.

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
Well according to the lead actor, this film is "the indisputable heavyweight example of the art of creating Action Movie spectacular at it’s very best".

Tom Hardy posted:

Fury Road is a different league of badass - a refreshing break from the norm - there’s no rubber suits and cloaks and magic cgi nope no super powers and no men flying and climbing up buildings sliding across cities on ice or waving glowing sticks of whatever throwing shields about or wielding big hammers and casting spells I mean that’s awesome too - but now the difference is here in this world none of that super stuff flies. Not remotely and that’s not to mean people don’t get flown or thrown about driven to extremes and acrobatic imaginative sequences aren’t abundant by any stretch. Just that Everything here is painful everything here really hurts everything is alive - visceral. Full of real life insanity

Dunno what Tom snorted before he wrote this screed, but I think I'm in! :allears:

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
"Retaliate" Trailer, in advance of a new extended trailer coming this Tuesday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnx_topfRXU

edit: This trailer seems to make the "R" rating official!

Caustic fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 30, 2015

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
Holy poo poo. New "Main" Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEJnMQG9ev8

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
Digging the Soundtrack sample by Junkie XL. Never heard of the guy, but I like what I'm hearing so far. I'm surprised they didn't get Hans Zimmer.

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
Vehicle showcase is up. Some great looking designs and a little bit of lore in the descriptions:

http://vehicleshowcase.madmaxmovie.com/

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
There's a really interesting article with the production designer on the cars of Fury Road (with some mild spoilers).

quote:

QUESTION: Does Immortan Joe have two cars in the film?

COLIN GIBSON: The Immortan Joe really owns all the vehicles in the Wasteland, his fiefdom, his armada, all the steering wheels his, the vehicles gifted to the Warboys only to further his ambitions. The Immortan takes over a monster truck at one stage to navigate an avalanche-strewn canyon and jockey his son to battle, but his real vehicle—the Giga-Horse—is probably my favorite because it was built from the ground up. Deep in the dim, dark Rev-Head past, the glory of a Cadillac’s tail fin still haunts the imagination. The glory days before the Fall, a snatch of song tugging at the heart, the gas-guzzling joy of once having been able to put one arm out the window and your other arm around the girl, hit the accelerator and live, be someone … a luxury long lost.

So, in a world where there is barely one of anything, only the Master may have a pair. We took great delight in taking a couple of 1959 Cadillac Coupe de Villes, tail fins akimbo and red rocket brake lights glowing, cutting them down the center, mounting them one atop the other in flagrante delicto, tipped at a rakish angle over a pair of giant blown V8s, slaved through a custom transmission to harmonize in a deep bass rumble and drive two-meter-high double rear wheels into the Wasteland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
HOLY gently caress! That was just incredible. Almost indescribable.

Any minor nitpicks I have are just blown away by the sheer spectacle, stunts, vehicles and worldbuilding. What a ride...just completely amazing and I can't wait to see it again just to pick up on details I may have missed.

• Locked thread