Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Holy loving poo poo I had no idea this was a thing and those cars look amazing. It's been years since I've seen the movies so I think a re-viewing is in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I just watched that Humongous crash clip again and noticed for the first time that when his buggy explodes you can see that all of the other cars behind the truck are stationary and there are people just sort of standing around. I'm sure it was for safety reasons or something but I wish I hadn't seen that.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
If it turns out there is a game it's probably being made by Avalanche Studios and has been in production for a good while now. I really hope that's true because they're a perfect fit.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Welp it's official, Avalanche is making it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBpDO45cJms

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
2015??? What the gently caress?

This is the correct response: https://twitter.com/DrewAtHitFix/status/403357577230032897

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Well they've got nearly a year to fix what ails it so maybe by then it'll be the first best!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I've watched the Fury Road trailer like ten goddamn times. gently caress.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
My buddy and I watched Max Max and Road Warrior over the weekend and while it was a refresher for me for him it was the first time he'd seen them. I think he enjoyed Mad Max but he definitely said it was nothing like he was expecting and he was surprised at

1) how slow it was
2) how much of it wasn't about Max
3) that it takes pretty much the entire movie for Max's family to be killed

I don't think the first Mad Max is something you can just pop in whenever and enjoy it and sure it has some problems but it's still a really good film. This was also the first time I watched Mad Max and Road Warrior back-to-back and I was surprised at how well they flowed in to one another. They explain pretty well that this is a different location from where Mad Max took place and that it's not as lovely as this everywhere. He became exactly what he was afraid he would become in the first film.

Now we just need to watch Thunderdome together. I really don't remember the second half of that movie at all.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I'm pretty sure Mad Max was intended to be set in the future. Besides the "a few years from now" title card they were definitely going for a futuristic, possibly dystopian feel with the constant weird robotic police chatter. They explain a bit in the beginning of the film that society has gone to poo poo because of "reasons" but honestly I can't remember exactly why.

And maybe it was pure coincidence but one of the last things we see Toecutter's crew doing is stealing fuel out of the back of a moving tanker truck like a bunch of road pirates. Even if it's not explicitly stated that's a good enough of a connection to the world of Road Warrior for me.

e: i kind of wish we got to know more about the guys in both Toecutter and Lord Humongous's gangs. we get a bit out of Bubba Zanetti and Wez (do they ever say his name?) but that's about it. i want to know what's up with the pink bearded dude

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 19, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
My favorite scene is where Max's wife has to walk five miles down a mountain to get to the beach.

Lotish posted:

while other stuff is clearly going very wrong (the Justice department is literally falling apart and you can count all the cops in a major area on one hand).

I have a theory that maybe Americans don't pick up on a lot of this stuff because they just think that's what Australia is like. :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah that would have been real loving stupid honestly.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Are the rape scenes really that gratuitous? I'm not all "HELL YEAH RAPE" but they do a pretty good job of showing how hosed up everything is and the majority of it is off camera. I mean hell, even the dude gets raped in Mad Max.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah it's definitely handled way better in Mad Max.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Batham posted:

Good point, however with Humungus it's not Max that deliberately puts himself in front of him. It's Humungus that makes the choice.

I'm still not entirely sure what his plan was there.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

DeimosRising posted:

Those movies are all just set in "the seventies".

Taxi Driver would fit right in too. :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
How is movie so goddamn pretty.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Do they ever say if it's a worldwide problem or is all of the nonsense somewhat limited to fake Australia?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I can't help but laugh in Road Warrior when Max goes from driving The Interceptor to...this.

It's kinda great because it's like a child's drawing of the ultimate hot rod come to life but boy is it doofy looking at the same time.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I need to stop watching that trailer.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
That's dope as all hell.

e: the side-by-side comparison, not the mod warning :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Shadoer posted:

or for the matter, the Road Warriors,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdv5EtZQ6jg

Oh my God Lord Humungus's voice. :stonk:

IT'S WOLFMAN JACK HERE GIMME THE GASOLEEEEEEEEN

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I love that Furiosa's car has a pressed tin roof.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
No Thunderdome???

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Wait so is there another faction they haven't revealed until that trailer?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Blind Sally posted:

Coma the Doof Warrior

Panfilo posted:

The Bullet Farmer

gently caress I love these movies.

e: welp i learned a thing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doof

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Didn't see that one coming.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Spoiler: rad action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRpPOiP6TRM

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
No real spoilers but here's a quick writeup of some of the stunts and inventions used in the movie: http://www.wired.com/2015/05/mad-max-fury-road/

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Just watched mad max 1 for the first time (I've never seen a mad max film) and it's so weird because I know through pop culture that it's all desert and apocalypse stuff but this first one has almost none of that.

It's like the Rambo/First Blood thing where the cultural memory is completely off as to what it actually was.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

drunkill posted:

Photos from the display in Sydney today for the premier. I found this posted on reddit: http://imgur.com/gallery/SrCm3

Haha drat I love the engine shielding made out of license plates on that bike.

And I'm not sure which of the cars it is but I love that one of them has a pressed tin interior roof.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
This all makes me really want a new MotorStorm game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I'm a great big doofus with too much poo poo going on so I didn't get to see this movie until last night and holy gently caress:perfect:

If I had to nitpick though there were some scenes towards the end on the trucks that looked a little greenscreen hokey in ways the rest of the movie didn't and I kinda hated the THIS MOVIE IS IN THREE-DEEEEE crash but everything else was absolutely wonderful. It was weirder than I could have ever imagined or hoped for and I can't believe Miller used fast-motion all the goddamn time and made it look great. I seriously haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

My wife saw it with me and despite never seeing a Mad Max she really liked it. I had to translate a few things for her (she's not good with accents) and once she understood a few things about the world she really liked it. Also as a nurse she particularly liked how much detail went into all of the maladies and various deformities. One of the first things she said to me leaving the theater was about how Nux probably had non-Hodgkin's lymphoma which is what required the blood transfusions. She also liked how Joe and his offspring probably had some sort of degenerative respiration problem.

But yeah holy gently caress my brain is racing that was so goddamn good.

e: also i would have liked to linger in the weird dead swamp area with the people on stilts and the crows. it seemed really weird and unique but was only in the movie for about 15 seconds

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh also:

=

I swear that shot was meant to be an homage.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Random Integer posted:

Just back from seeing it again, definitely easier to take it all in the second time.

Some things that I noticed which have probably already been discussed a dozen times here but which I missed/was confused by on first viewing.

When Max asked Furiosa 'So, done this before?' and she replied 'Many times but never with a War Rig' it confused me first time because I though he was asking if she'd traveled to the Green Place before and clearly she hadn't done that many times. In context though they were talking about Furiosa being captured as a child so 'So, done this before?' means 'Tried escaping before?' to which her response makes perfect sense.

For some reason I took this to mean that she's done it many times before in her head but this is the first actual real escape attempt she's made. v:v:v

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I like the little skis on the front wheels on some of the bikes to help keep them from getting bogged down in sand.

What are the things sticking out the back on the flexible poles meant to be? Just decoration or something like counter-weight?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Cardboard Box A posted:

Not bad at all, but then again speed racer is pretty much the only contender Fury Road has for that level of intense visuals

Ahem.

https://vimeo.com/132968940

Pro click as gently caress. Be sure to enlarge that poo poo, idk why the forums Vimeo player is so small.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I don't have Flash. What is it.

You shouldn't need Flash, I'm not sure why you aren't seeing the HTML5 player.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Haha hell yes this is great.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I didn't even get that far, Age of Extinction is a loving horrible movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

cariadcymru posted:

http://youtu.be/dB0D-Egq46M

Some deleted scenes, not sure of the source. Temp baby!

Is that Angharad with Miss Giddy at the end?

I didn't have this problem in the actual movie but I didn't understand a single word Rictus said here. Also the Organic Mechanic petting Miss Giddy was assuredly a throwback to The Toadie in Road Warrior.

• Locked thread