Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That is insane. I can only assume they are doing a massive amount of VFX because I can't imagine how else it would take them so long. Incedentally that's a terrible sign, because Mad Max is not a franchise that should be dependent on CGI rather than practical SFX. I'm actually a big fan of CGI used properly, but wrecking actual cars is the way Mad Max should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Great Rumbler posted:

Even The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, a movie that cost over $200 million, was nearly 3 hours long, and was filled in every scene with some of the most advanced CG wizardry around, only had about 12 months of post-production.

Oh I know, but it's possible that they didn't want to do a christmas release and hoping to kick off the summer, so even if they only have 11 months of post-production left they could still set a later release date. Also, I assume the LOTR/Hobbit crews have their poo poo down to a science and run post-production like a well-oiled machine. Most studios don't have three movies made by the same director with the same visual style all at once to practice on.

Speaking of VFX in every scene, I'm kind of assuming Fury Road will have this for dust, dirt, and apocalyptic effects like damage buildings, ridiculous sun glare, removing contrails from the sky etc. But nothing on the level of the hobbit.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The guys hanging off of the outside of vehicles makes it.

I think that Road Warrior is one of the reasons I like Doomsday so much, since it a big section of it a Road Warrior tribute.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Another funny thing about Doomsday is that I saw it right after playing a bunch of Fallout 3, so I instantly recognized the voice on the radio as Malcolm McDowell (not really a spoiler I guess)

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 29, 2014

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

Doomsday is loving amazing. For the price of admission, you get about 4 movies worth of insanity.

I really is like four movies. I'm putting them all in spoiler tags because really you should just watch the movie and have your mind properly blown, but in case you need convincing: The The future-cop/zombie plague stuff, which sets up all of the Escape from New York/LA stuff which transitions into a Road Warrior tribute, but not before some sort of neo-medieval stuff, which I'm drawing a blank on movies about that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Davoren posted:

Tom Hardy's working on that Krays movie now right? Does that mean this is close to being done?

I mean, principle photography has been done forever, I thought. They already did reshoots. I think that the only things that are still being worked on is post-production stuff. I could be wrong though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
In Soldier, Kurt Russell only says 104 words :smug:

that's actually probably still more than Mel in Road Warrior...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I love that George Miller's projects are basically Mad Max films, Babe: Pig in the City, and Happy Feet.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Erethizon_dorsatum posted:

Is it really possible to hit someone with your motorcycle hard enough to kill them without wrecking your bike?

I mean, if you literally drive over them and manage to not wreck with some mad dirt-bike skills, that could definitely do it. Also, even if you are hit at a low speed by any vehicle, hitting your head on the pavement can easily be the fatal part of the incident.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dan Didio posted:

I had no idea Hugh-Keays Byrne was back for this one. Cool.

Holy poo poo, is it possible he's playing the same character?

edit: I'm not sure if that would be completely stupid or completely awesome.

Neo Rasa posted:

Good thing everyone in MM1 wore a helmet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQCqyrWoIEs&t=73s
I thought the question was in reference to Max's wife and kid being literally run down by motorcycles. They obviously weren't wearing helmets...

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 28, 2014

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

It's intentionally left vague the same reason Bruce Spence plays the Gyro Captain and Jedidiah in Road Warrior and Thunderdome. To keep Max's identity and background more mythical in nature.

Dan Didio posted:

No, I don't think so. Fits with the anthological nature of the films.

Yeah, that's what I would hope. I think it would be lame if there is a scene in Fury Road where Immortan Joe is like "It was ME, MAX! All those years ago... I was there at the beginning."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's like the polar-opposite of Transformers.

Detective No. 27 posted:

This movie is gonna be like watching a live action Judas Priest album cover. :black101:

this is correct and awesome.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

The new Transformers is easily, EASILY one of the most colorful Hollywood movies released in a while.

That said, though, this movie looks absolutely loving gorgeous. The color in that opening shot alone.

I haven't seen the new one, but I meant in terms of clarity. The first three transformers have just so much motion it can sometimes be hard to tell what's going on. An issue that does not appear at all in this trailer.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I was really worried when it was going to be an animated film. I can't believe that this looks like it is going to be SO GOOD after being in development for so long...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, in Highlander 3: The Sorcerer/The Final Dimension (what was it so hard to pick a name for this movie?), the villain attacks MacLeod in some sort of modernist shinto temple. MacLeod is all like "we can't fight on holy ground!" and the bd guy is like "I give no fucks" but then MacLeod's sword instantly shatters. I'm not really clear on if it shattered because he was using it on holy ground of if it was because the bad guy was a sorcerer...

It was a very bad movie.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

A bull terrier/lab mix living 17 years is pretty impressive. I wonder if those dates/ages are accurate or if someone messed up somewhere. Regardless, a connection like that can be really powerful.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Madurai posted:

See, Hollywood? Was that so hard? You make a trailer that doesn't try to tell you the whole plot of the movie, and it's awesome.

Although it does contain probably all the best visual spectacles.

This looks so amazing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

From what it sounds like, the entire film is visual spectacles.

From the trailer, it looks like Max has little to no agency in the story and is mostly just hanging on for dear life as the craziest poo poo possible happens around him. I am pretty okay with this.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Capn Beeb posted:

The real problem is sourcing primers, as making them is rather complicated and dangerous, and requires a good understanding of chemistry.

Now I have this great mental image of modern-cartridge matchlock weapons.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

VoodooXT posted:

He was in "Babe: Pig in the City".

He was in both Babe movies. He's the voice of the male sheepdog.
I recently watched both films for the first time as an adult, because my roommate had never seen them. The first one is as good as I remembered it, and the second is infinitely more bizarre than I possibly could have comprehended as a child.

My favorite part is when Babe saves the life of the bull terrier (which they call a pit bull) and it immediately instates Babe as the dictator of a communist society of animals and makes the song from the first film into their national anthem.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

The trailer for this confused me, especially since I haven't watched more than bits and pieces of the earlier films:

If the setting is post-apocalyptic or at the very least "Something caused civilization to collapse", as I understand it, how does everyone have tons of gas to drive in huge elaborate chase scenes? Hell, I thought that Mad Max's setting entailed some energy/gas collapse...

The real answer to this is because driving cars is awesome. The pretend answer is probably that a gas crisis when there's 7 billion people and a gas crisis when there's 600 million are two different things. There are literally no bastions of civilization shown in these movies, and even the hoard of Humungous is like, 30 guys. Also I don't think anyone is claiming the lifestyle of the crazy wasteland hotrodders is sustainable.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, and the compound in Road Warrior had an oil well.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
edit: wow wrong thread.

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 15, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

KidVanguard posted:

It's clear after rewatching Babe 2: Pig in the City that George Miller is a masochist that goes for broke whenever possible.

The first Babe is similar to the first Mad Max in that it's a quaint little Australian film that does a really good job telling the story it sets out to tell with the few resources it has to tell it. After Mad Max made money George Miller opened the whole universe up and kind of re-invented Mad Max into the post-apocalyptic world building that created a whole subgenre.

[Babe 2]

The point is I feel like George Miller makes a movie like it's the last one he's going to make and Fury Road looks like the culmination of all his efforts and if he directs the next three I can't even imagine what those would look like.

I recently rewatched Babe 2 because the only way to convince someone how bizarre it is is to show it to them. You were spot on with the Terry Gilliam comparison. The only thing I can take away from it for sure is that George Miller gives ZERO fucks and is going to do whatever he wants and he's committed to making art.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That actually sounds awesome.

Speaking of the Gyro Captain being a sleezeball, I always thought he was a piece of poo poo for being perfectly happy to watch that woman being raped, but then is all troubled that they kill her. I also think it's an effective demonstration of how hosed things are and good film making, it's just unsettling.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've never seen it either.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Shoehead posted:

re: Scope talk, dude doesn't seem to have eyes, you guys. :v:

That would explain why he has lens covers on his scopes. He's not stupid.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I was actually just thinking that Furiosa might have been a former slave/virgin who cut off her own hand to escape.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure there's such a thing as an ironic movie product tie-in...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

effectual posted:

...The whole movie was weird, like Dirty Harry directed by the old Star Trek show director.

Have you ever watched Star Trek?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

This is a legit great question.

If he says yes, follow up with "Did Babe's animal revolution cause the downfall of society leading up to Mad Max?"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Finally powered through a thousand posts to give my two cents after seeing this twice. Holy loving poo poo. This is easily one of the best movies I've ever seen. I like action movies, and I like movies that give me a lot to think about, or have a lot of symbolism, even if it's heavy handed. This movie was all those. For what could have easily been just a mess of cheese and mixed messages, the themes and messaged of this film were remarkably coherent.

On my second viewing, I actually felt that the most powerful line in the movie was "Back then, there was plenty to eat. Back then, there was no need to snap anybody". Killing in the wastland is a necesarry action for survival. This 70 year old desert biker lady wants nothing more than to plant seeds and have them grow, but she's not naive and thinks its a pretty good plan to kill every one she's ever met "out here". This movie had a lot to say without being "preachy". I think that line is maybe the preachiest, but I think it's pretty good at outlining the contrast between the real life modern world and the post-apocalyptic setting of Fury Road. It's not men that killed the world, it's warlords. It's greed, and lust for power, and dehumanizing our enemies that destroyed the world.

I really liked that, before we see any victimization of women, we see Max enslaved and literally objectified. Joe's cult is an equal opportunity objectifier, and I think that really strengthens the feminist themes of the film. It shows clearly, in ways that even people who don't have "feminist mindsets" that objectification of people is wrong. Max's muzzle mirrors the wives's chastity belts as his blood bag status mirrors the milked mothers. Now I'm not saying that those things are the same, or on the same level, but they do pretty clearly show that Joe believes that people, and their bodies, and the fruits of their bodies, can be his property. That's literally what makes him evil. He's not evil just because he objectifies and enslaves women. He thinks it's okay to put locks on parts of people's bodies to restrict their freedom as he deems appropriate.

From the trailers, I was very skeptical of Charlize Theron and her character Furiosa. I was so wrong and my fears could not have been farther from the mark. People in this thread have raised questions about how she came to be an Imperator, despite being a woman, or despite being a slave. I feel like a big element of it, which is apparent from Theron's eyes alone, is that she is a smart and calculating person. She's not drinking the coolaid. It's not surprising that she was able to make her way to the top given a chance at all. A huge majority of Joe's army are busy trying to distinguish themselves in battle, rather than being smart tacticians.

Nux turned out to be the biggest surprise though. Any other movie would have had Max take his revenge for being used as a blood bag as an early "gently caress yeah, he had that coming!" moment. Instead, the moral of the story was sometimes a would-be suicide bomber is just a really hosed up kid who's been lied to his whole life and wants it to mean something.

Some of my favorite, slightly more subtle moments, are the reactions shots of Joe to anything said by Rictus. When Furiosa is taking the War Rig into the storm, Rictus is yelling "She thinks she can lose use in there!" and you can see Joe being a) legit worried about the storm, and b) becoming increasingly annoyed that Rictus is making it harder and harder for him to save face while also not going into the storm. Then when Rictus is all "I had a baby brother! and he was perfect in every way!" the camera pans down to Joe practically rolling his eyes in frustration that he hasn't had a non-retarded, non-crippled son yet.

Also, I think that the use of "MEDIOCRE" by Joe and his gang is literally the worst insult they have. And I think that was George Miller's philosophy when making this film.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Battle Rockers posted:

I feel like Hollismason was originally simply trying to be sensitive with regards to the idea of calling himself a feminist so as not to offend certain female feminists out there who consider the idea of a male feminist a negative appropriation of the ideology. I don't understand why others are riding him so hard about that. It's as if people are kinda reassuring him that it's okay if he calls himself a feminist but are being really aggressive and war-like about it.

In other news, Mad Max Fury Road was awesome.

He should probably just ask them "then who killed the discussion?!" and shove them out of the thread...

I also liked that slow-motion was not overused, in my opinion.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dan Didio posted:

I really didn't like the small amounts of slow motion there was. Visually arresting, for sure, but each one pulled me right out of the film.

Up until the cgi bits, I think that Nux entering the gates of Valhalla was pretty appropriate. Also Max's "epic" jump on the crane at the beginning, because the slow motion immediately goes away and it turns out that was not really a great escape plan

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, it's just that there's a million things that could go wrong. Furiosa's escape attempt differs from Max's initial one only in scale. It is a desperate, if calculated, "break for it". She's worked in Joe's cult for almost twenty years, and she has tried more than once to reach the green place. Her attempt in the movie is probably what she considers to be her last one, since taking Joe's wives with her is a death sentence if she fails. It's not like it would be "smarter" to wait forever for some kind of perfect escape opportunity. When is there going to be a chance better than when she has a war rig full of loyal(ish) warboys?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And really, it's still the wastland. Anyone who gets in a vehicle and goes out into the wasteland, is risking their lives. Even Immorantan Joe.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Also she had like seventy guns hidden in the cabin. She probably could have just killed Ace unaware without much trouble.

Yeah, one of the things about Fury Road having so many more guns than other Mad Max films is that, well, these characters are way richer. Like, the "Hoard" of Humongous would be no match for Joe's cult. Furiosa, with her War Rig, Warboys, and their escort vehicles could have demolished Humongous in a weekend. None of the warboys have guns. Guns are like, the weapons of the elite, the knighthood and the nobles. Imperators and and up have guns. Even with the Bullet Farmer's warband there, not a lot of bullets were being shot at them. The Bullet Farmer himself had a lot of bullets.

edit:

Firstborn posted:

Apparently Miller is toying with the idea of a B&W and silent cut of the movie for Blu-Ray.
http://www.slashfilm.com/fury-road-trivia/3/
Maybe.
While I though that on my second viewing that the movie would be just fine with even less dialogue, I don't think that it would benefit from B&W or silence, especially if that means dialogue cards, interrupting the visuals.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

K. Waste posted:

All that underground warboy stuff looks legit perfect. Like, better than it was in color and in 3D.

This is true, actually.

On the whole, I don't think it's an improvement. It's a great response to people bitching about the orange and blue, though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

grobbo posted:

It still seems a little odd to me, but presumably the tattooed tutor was left locked in the Vault with a shotgun because she wanted to take down Joe when he came bursting in to find the wives. And as we eventually saw, once Joe was dead, presumably the War Boys would be too bereft and lacking in leadership to follow.

Which is a good idea, but onscreen she's dealt with so swiftly and easily that it barely registers as part of the plan.

I'm not sure it was. The woman in the vault with the shotgun, to me, represents talking about problems rather than changing them. There no reason why she couldn't have come with the wives and escaped herself. There's no reason she couldn't have killed Joe if she'd pulled the trigger. But instead she yelled at him until it was too late.

This is a movie about stepping up and doing what needs to be done to accomplish your goals. Every character that does this succeeds and every character that clings to the way they think "things should be" fails. Joe believes that is is a fact that people are his property. Rictus believes that he and his father are superio by virtue alone ("She thinks she can lose us in THERE!"). The tutor with the shotgun thinks that Joe's downfall is inevitable because he deserves it. She's wrong. Slit thinks Nux can't do war because he can't stand. Rictus literally believes his baby brother was perfect in every way.

Furiosa and Max both adapt and respond to the reality of their situation. The madness that Max overcomes throughout the course of the film is the view that "the wasteland is lovely and it's best to just become an animal". When the film starts, he factually declares that he is the "one who runs from both the living and the dead". By the end of the film, he has rejected this and runs from neither. Because Furiosa taught him to fight for his agency, which he reminded her of when she was going to run across the salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The longer I read this review, the more I liked it.

I really like the part at the end where they bring up how weird it is that one of them thinks it's common knowledge that stabbing someone in the side could help a collapsed lung. It's funny because I thought that was common knowledge too, but then I realized that's just because I've seen it in maybe 3-4 movies which came out in the last 2 decades. It's probably come up in medical dramas, so people who watch a lot of those might also "know" about it, but otherwise there's no reason for the average moviegoer to.

• Locked thread