Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MoonCricket
Oct 26, 2002

My current vehicle is deteriorating at a faster and faster pace and I am now in the market for a newer daily driver. I am seeking a vehicle for a short <20 mile day-to-day commute and semi-frequent extended 75-100 mile trips on the weekends. On the weekends I will be using the vehicle commute to hunting lands and travel on dirt/mud roads but no serious off-roading.

I've come across a 2002 Xterra with 100k exactly on it that has drawn my attention. Asking price is $7000 and I believe they will take a less than that for it. The KBB value is significantly lower but I have not seen many advertised cheaper that do not look like complete beaters. On the outside it is in very good shape but I am seeking something that will last me up to 5 years day-to-day and then after I can then dedicate to a hunting/beater vehicle. I can safely estimate I will drive less than 10,400 miles per year and 52,000 over 5 years(this is a very high max for me). Can an older but good condition 1st gen xterra handle this? Are there any guides out there to common issues I can look for on 1st gen xterras? What other vehicles should I be looking at? I have looked at a few Tacoma's that I know would ideally fit the bill but from what I've seen they do sell at quite a premium.

So is a 1st gen xterra a decent candidate for my needs or are there better options out there in a <$10k price range?

(can someone help out my tag please?)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Some things you can't
put into words, man.

You could get a 2000/01 Jeep Cherokee for half that and it will run three times as long, be 10 times easier to work on and parts will be super cheap and widely available.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Includes 10 poo bags!

I'm seconding the cherokee, but go for a 99 instead of the 00-01s. Kastein posted a great deal of information as to why.

from what I have heard the transmissions are pretty crappy and the electrics aren't all that great.

Cat Terrist
Nov 9, 2004

SAY HELLO TO MY AXE

The Xterra can handle what you want (no doubt about it) so if you really want to get it, you will get a vehicle that will handle what you want out of it.

However....... I cant say I would recommend it and this is why

It's not really a good vehicle. A Forester of that vintage is a much much better proposition for instance or even a RAV4. If those two are generally out of the price range, well there's good reason for that - they are decent, the Forester of say 2002 is a bloody good thing. I personally wouldnt do the Cherokee mainly because there are other genuinely better options but it's fine and probably better than the Xterra.

So the Xterra will work and it's not terrible as per say.... but you can do better.

some texas redneck
May 12, 2006

This custom title now 800% more creepy!

Additionally, the 4 cylinder KA24DE in those is a complete bitch to work on, and will likely need the timing chain guides sooner rather than later. Probably the tensioners too. The V6 is a bit more robust, but parts will still carry a premium over, say, a Jeep. And still a pain in the rear end to work on.

There's really nothing special about an Xterra over any other SUV of the time.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

he who controls the spice controls the universe

MoonCricket posted:

My current vehicle is deteriorating at a faster and faster pace and I am now in the market for a newer daily driver. I am seeking a vehicle for a short <20 mile day-to-day commute and semi-frequent extended 75-100 mile trips on the weekends. On the weekends I will be using the vehicle commute to hunting lands and travel on dirt/mud roads but no serious off-roading.

You don't need an SUV for that. Decide how much cargo and passenger space you require, then pick a car type vehicle off those requirements, choosing the one with the best fuel economy and reliability record.

If you want the whole world to know you hunt buy a bumper sticker.

leica
Jan 23, 2006

Ask yourself if you really need an SUV. There are a lot of cars that can handle dirt roads, can carry just as much poo poo, be more comfortable and be twice as fuel efficient at the same time. A Forester is a good suggestion, but then again so is a Camry. An Xterra is a truck and rides like a truck, no way I'd be buying a truck if I could get a car that will accomplish what I need to do.

This thread (question) should really be in the ask/tell suggestion thread, because it's just going to devolve into a suggestion thread anyway.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Look for a 96-00 4runner (hilux? Outside of the states?) with the 3.4 5VZFE. Don't go any newer, that's when they went full mommy mobile SUV. Don't go any older either, the motors sucked. Plan on replacing the radiator or adding a dedicated trans cooler right off the bat. These things quite literally run for 300k miles with few incidents.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Knee deep in the V.A.G.

cursedshitbox posted:

I'm seconding the cherokee, but go for a 99 instead of the 00-01s. Kastein posted a great deal of information as to why.

from what I have heard the transmissions are pretty crappy and the electrics aren't all that great.

Thirding the XJ, its probably the best small SUV you can buy and will far outlast any of the others you can find.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, don't buy a Nissan. They're like the Chrysler of Japan.

MoonCricket
Oct 26, 2002

Thanks for all the advice I'm going to see what cherokees are around me. I looked at the xterra and while I liked it, they're asking more than I want to pay for that specific car and will not come down any. I'm open to a suv or a truck...can anyone recommend truck options? I can't find any local tacomas that arent out of my price range or already well past the 200k mark. To whom recommended a car its really not an option for muddy log roads and I only have room for one vehicle.

Fenderbender
Oct 9, 2003

You have the right to remain silent.

DrPain posted:

Look for a 96-00 4runner (hilux? Outside of the states?) with the 3.4 5VZFE. Don't go any newer, that's when they went full mommy mobile SUV. Don't go any older either, the motors sucked. Plan on replacing the radiator or adding a dedicated trans cooler right off the bat. These things quite literally run for 300k miles with few incidents.

Not really (re: older motors) VG engines are basically bulletproof.

MoonCricket
Oct 26, 2002

cursedshitbox posted:

Ive tried to search but where can I find this information? This thread has me really leaning towards an XJ now. I had never considered it before but seems to fit the bill nicely but I'm still open to the possibility of a small truck.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

MoonCricket posted:

Ive tried to search but where can I find this information? This thread has me really leaning towards an XJ now. I had never considered it before but seems to fit the bill nicely but I'm still open to the possibility of a small truck.

Information on different years of XJs is pretty easy to find, but the main reason people find the 2000-2001 model year undesirable is because of a casting flaw on the head. Earlier XJ's didn't have this flaw and the heads tend to last forever.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Aceshighxxx posted:

Yeah, don't buy a Nissan. They're like the Chrysler of Japan.

Buy the Chrysler of America instead

I vote for Forester or some other car. Old Camry or Accord Wagon would fit the bill nicely if they're not price inflated in your area.

CharlesM
May 9, 2004

Fenderbender posted:

Not really (re: older motors) VG engines are basically bulletproof.

He was talking about Toyotas.

Fenderbender
Oct 9, 2003

You have the right to remain silent.

CharlesM posted:

He was talking about Toyotas.

Whoops. Carry on.

leica
Jan 23, 2006

Post in this thread and use the template:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3213538

If you keep asking for recommendations this thread will probably get gassed

Jork Juggler
May 22, 2007

Basically any Subaru would fit your needs nicely. There is a reason so many outdoorsy people drive those things. I drive a 2001 Legacy wagon, which does not have any more ground clearance than a normal car but the AWD system it has is hard to beat. A Forester or an Outback has higher ground clearance then a normal car and even some rudimentary skid plates, so they can generally handle the road less traveled. An Impreza or Legacy is basically just a normal car with extra traction.

Someone mentioned a 2002 Forester, which is a good all-around car. It can handle city traffic, it can handle long trips, and it can handle rough surfaces all pretty well. Subarus with the 2.5L engine (most of them) from '95-'04 have minor head gasket issues, but other than that are a solid car. Not uncommon to see them with 300k miles.

The reason people are steering you toward something car-like is because your vehicle will probably spend 99% of its time on pavement and cars are much more suited to driving on pavement than trucks. They are more comfortable, more fuel efficient, easier to drive, and less dangerous than trucks. Something like an Xterra has a much higher center of gravity than a car and its suspension is designed to handle rough terrain more than pavement. A truck cannot stop or avoid a collision as well as a car, and due to being heavier and with a high center of gravity is likely to do more damage to other vehicles or pedestrians. At the same time, it will not necessarily do less damage to you. Trucks have their purpose, but cars make better daily drivers. This is generally the opinion of the people here, the sort that discuss and analyze cars at long length. We're not image consultants.

That said, an Xterra or Cherokee is a reasonable compromise between rugged car and truck. It's not like you're asking about an H2 or Excursion or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Some things you can't
put into words, man.

I only suggested 2000-01 because I thought I thought he said he wanted something newer but it appears I misread that. Yes, go for '99, best of the best.