Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The characters regularly use "beeish" as a direct analogue for "jewish". Mentally replace the word "bee" with the word "jew" in as many instances as you can. Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

max4me posted:

I think in a interview Seinfeld came up with the title first and then the rest came out.

Sometimes it makes sense that a title would be inspiring enough to build a story around. I refuse to believe that "Bee Movie" could ever be such a title, for anyone, in any circumstance.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Pick posted:

I think some people were blinded by love of Seinfeld's prior work. I've never seen an episode of Seinfeld in my entire life, so I had no positive bias towards this man going in. In fact, I don't think I've seen him in anything he's done.

Similarly, I saw my first episode of Cheers a few months ago. I missed a lot of this stuff.

I find Seinfeld completely unrelatable as an observational comic; he's alienating, like he's remarking on the foibles of an alternate universe I've never visited. I think he tries too hard to find the angle in each topic, warps that topic beyond recognition, and then can't sell the premise convincingly.

The courtroom scene actually highlights this incredibly well. All of Barry's arguments in court are completely and transparently disingenuous, with leading questions and irrelevant tangents that he most likely does not give a genuine poo poo about. It's not just an example of him being one of the worst protagonists I've ever seen, but also a perfect microcosm of the faux-indignance towards the imaginary that fills Seinfeld's standup.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 9, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Someone really loves Bee Movie and also hates yaoi.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Although I do wish more animated films would bring in dedicated voice actors to play major roles, I always appreciate when films at least dig a little deeper than the A-list in search of the right voice.

Pixar's pretty good about this. Finding Nemo, for instance: Albert Brooks and Ellen Degeneres are certainly recognizable names, but you wouldn't likely find them as the leads in a blockbuster live-action film. They were brought on because they match their roles well, not because they were going to get butts in seats. Even Hanks and Allen in Toy Story are good matches first and big names second (not that Tim Allen is a big name these days, but you get my meaning).

• Locked thread