Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

Can anyone tell me how AT&T's retarded phone unlocking policy works because they don't seem to know...

My contract is up on September 14th, I'm trying to ditch my iPhone 5 ASAP unlocked. My last month of service before my contract is up has already been billed and I have already replaced my iPhone 5 with an LG G3 that is not under contract, the phone was replaced an the IMEI doesn't match the AT&T phone that they though was under contract which cause problems with replacing my iPhone 5 with the LG G3.

According to AT&T my LG G3 is actually the phone under contract even though given to me for free by LG which is fine because I am keeping it, they say my iPhone 5 is off contract and should be able to be unlocked. Either situation is idiotic to me, but I would guess from their end it makes more sense to keep the more valuable current phone active on my account on contract?

I should be able to upgrade to an iPhone 5S on contact anyways at this point since it is less than a month for my contract to be up and my bill is current, my last bill before the contract is up has already been billed anyways and due before the contract is up.

I put in the request online and it wouldn't even take my full password because it was too long, the status just says pending.

You def want to call customer care for any thing related to unlocking, don't go through the web site. Otherwise it just isn't what I deal with day to day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

E: SNiP!

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Three Olives posted:

I put in the request online and it wouldn't even take my full password because it was too long, the status just says pending.

Account password, like "Smith" or "Fluffy" (assuming you even have one), not MyAT&T password.

Darilian
Jun 14, 2007
I have an iPhone 5 in a Mobile Share plan, started the contract 6/31/13, and want to use my Next upgrade for the next iPhone sometime next month. Will upgrading through Next cancel out any obligations to pay for my current phone?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Darilian posted:

I have an iPhone 5 in a Mobile Share plan, started the contract 6/31/13, and want to use my Next upgrade for the next iPhone sometime next month. Will upgrading through Next cancel out any obligations to pay for my current phone?

No, ATT will overlook said contract because it was signed before the new plans came out February 2nd, 2014. As basically, you will want to be upgrading through next going forward, so if you get a new iPhone every year you would probably want to do Next 12.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 18, 2019

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

McFunkerson posted:

Wait, explain this. I'm on an older family plan with two iPhones 5s. One is still on the grandfathered unlimited data, the other has whatever the $25 tier of data was.

If we decide to early upgrade our phones again this year we'll be forced off out current plans?

No you will not be forced off your plans.

The downside to the old plans is upgrades are at 24 months exactly, there are no early full upgrades. If you want to upgrade early, there is still the older style of early upgrade, which was $450 (and $40 upgrade fee) for a phone with 2 year contract extension.

Personally, I found the $450 to be expensive on old and new, so if you got two new phones last year it's debatable whether the $450 price is worth it. Especially because of the upgrade fee. You might want to buy outright this year, get full discounted phone when your contract is up.

That's the downside of your old plan, is upgrades are only convenient at the 2 year mark. The upside is a plan that you like.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

McFunkerson posted:

Phew, that's a relief. I looked into changing plans, but it's hard to beat $120ish/mo (after my FAN) for 2 iPhones with everything my wife and I need included. Minutes and texts just aren't a concern, data is for us.

We've been playing the upgrade game since the iPhone 1 and have it down to a science. Yeah, to upgrade every year I have to pay $450, plus taxes and activation fees. But the year old iPhone I've just replaced usually can be sold for $425ish on CL (excellent condition, CIB). I'm generally out of pocket less than $100 per phone.

It was great when AT&T used to give us the full subsidy on the main line and then reverse the activation fees, we'd generally make a small amount of money upgrading every year.

If I were to have to give up my old plan, and go with the new set of plans, I'd probably still buy outright rather than go with a Next Plan. In the example in the OP you're paying $390 over 12 months for an iPhone and then handing the phone back to AT&T. If you pay $650 to own it outright, then sell it in a year for $425 you're out $225 and still gotten the $15/$25 reduction on your monthly fee.

FYI ATT Next is literally buying the phone outright. Next 12 is $32.50 a month for the phone over 20 months, which is $650. You get the option to upgrade at 12 months by trading in the phone and getting a new phone on phone payment plan.

For you being on the old plan, it isn't great, you won't get a discount on your plan for being on Next on the old plans. That being said, I would probably recommend what you are thinking: buy phone outright (do whatever selling on old phone), and save your upgrades for next year (assuming you can't take a year off on upgrading). If you wanted to make it less of a hit up front, you can get the phone $0 down on next 12, pay $32.5 a month, and in a year pay the remaining $250ish to then be able to upgrade on standard two year contract. Since it's the phone price, it's the same as buying it outright. It's a preference.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

McFunkerson posted:

Edit: next only works with new plans though?

You can do Next on the old plans. It just doesn't make generally any sense because you're effectively paying for the phone twice (once in your higher-priced subsidy plan rate, once in your Next installment).

But it can make sense with some combinations of grandfathered plan and discount.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Duckman2008 posted:

FYI ATT Next is literally buying the phone outright. Next 12 is $32.50 a month for the phone over 20 months, which is $650. You get the option to upgrade at 12 months by trading in the phone and getting a new phone on phone payment plan.

As far as I can tell it is more like a hybrid lease/finance deal because a huge component of the deal is they basically give you a guaranteed buyback value of the phone regardless of the condition (As long as it still powers on/is in one piece) of the phone or the market.

I'm leaning heavily towards Next because I would like to upgrade every year, I can easily afford to upgrade every year if I sold my old phone but the prospect of selling my phone, figuring out the best value for doing so, making sure I don't get scammed, etc has seemed like too much of a pain in the rear end/risky. I got a free LG G3 last month so I went ahead and sold my iPhone 5 in preparation for buying an iPhone 6 and I did not enjoy the overall experience. It wasn't bad but even stuff like the $5 the took off for a tiny scratch on on the screen of a completely flawless phone that I absolutely could not see left a bad taste in my mouth.

I mean, yeah, I could front the money, take super good care of the phone, time and shop the market to get the best price and likely come out ahead but maybe not, it seems like $50-$100 a year isn't that much to pay to be able to walk into an AT&T store next year, hand in a battered iPhone 6 and walk out with a brand new iPhone 6S. But maybe I am missing something.

Oh, another question about the AT&T Next, I think I might buy a new car in the same time frame of the iPhone 6, AT&T says online that I am eligible for Next with no down payment, I've been a customer in good standing at over $100 a month for like a decade, I've never seen them ding my credit report even for things like turning on international roaming and based on what the rep says that if you have been a long term customer they base the credit on your payment history with AT&T not your credit report which makes sense. I'm not worried about passing a credit check but if it takes what, even a tiny fraction of a point on a car loan it could cost me way more than just doing a standard upgrade/buying the phone outright. Can anyone confirm that they don't pull your credit if you have already been a long term customer?

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 22, 2014

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
Does a Next upgrade work if you're buying a new phone straight from Apple or do you have to go through an AT&T store? Can you do them online?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CoasterMaster posted:

Does a Next upgrade work if you're buying a new phone straight from Apple or do you have to go through an AT&T store? Can you do them online?

You can def do Next online via ATT.com. ATT is working on rolling out next to big box (for instance Best Buy should be able to do Next) but I'm not sure if Apple is able to yet. I would just call an Apple store and ask them.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'd like to see if I'm way off here. Right now, we pay $160 with a FAN discount for:

550 minutes
Unlimited nights/weekends
Unlimited texting
Line 1: Unlimited data
Line 2: 5gb data
Line 3: No data

I'm looking at these new mobile shared data plans, and as best I can tell, we could pay $145 a month for:
Unlimited minutes/texting
10 gb of shared data

but with the caveat that we can no longer get 2-year contract pricing on phones, only bringing our own phones or via AT&T next. So, hypothetically, if we get 2 new iphones in a few weeks:

Current situation: $200x2 = $400 total
Mobile shared plan: AT&T Next pricing, which would be an additional $25 per month for each iphone for the next two years or buying it outright at about $1300 for two phones.

Am I way off here? It seems like the $15/month we'd save on the plan is completely wiped out by the fact that we'd have to pay full ticket for the phones. Am I missing something here?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Are you changing that third phone to a smartphone? ATT charges more for that.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

smackfu posted:

Are you changing that third phone to a smartphone? ATT charges more for that.

No the third phone is just going to remain a basic phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

I'd like to see if I'm way off here. Right now, we pay $160 with a FAN discount for:

550 minutes
Unlimited nights/weekends
Unlimited texting
Line 1: Unlimited data
Line 2: 5gb data
Line 3: No data

I'm looking at these new mobile shared data plans, and as best I can tell, we could pay $145 a month for:
Unlimited minutes/texting
10 gb of shared data

but with the caveat that we can no longer get 2-year contract pricing on phones, only bringing our own phones or via AT&T next. So, hypothetically, if we get 2 new iphones in a few weeks:

Current situation: $200x2 = $400 total
Mobile shared plan: AT&T Next pricing, which would be an additional $25 per month for each iphone for the next two years or buying it outright at about $1300 for two phones.

Am I way off here? It seems like the $15/month we'd save on the plan is completely wiped out by the fact that we'd have to pay full ticket for the phones. Am I missing something here?

Yeah, because your plan is pretty low, and because your discount goes off of both lines, and because one of your lines is not a smart phone, it's a lot closer for you.

Old plan: $60(call)+$30(text)+$30(data)+$50(data)+$10(add a line) =$180. Your fan discount, whatever it is, goes off of call and data parts, so $60+$30+$50 = $130. So if your discount is 20% it would be $130*20%= $26. Total rate is $180-26=$154.

New plan:
$100 for call/text/data, $15 a line * 3 = $145. Discount goes off of $100 base plan, so assumed 20% is $100*20%= $20. So base plan is $145-20=$125.

Now, let's assume you get two new iPhones. Here's how it affects the plan:
Old plan: rate stays the same, you pay $240 up front for the the phones. That's basically $10 a month per phone, so while in contract you pay $154+$20= $174 a month for your old plan, including phones.

New plan you add the full cost, so $125+$27+$27 = $179 a month, including cost of the phone.

So whales interesting there is they are actually pretty much equal for you, the new plans main advantage is it becomes cheaper when the phone is paid off (and as someone mentioned, a third smartphone would def make the new plan better). So I would tell you it's up to you which plan you want really.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
So when I signed up for uverse the guy who was going door to door signing folks up told me I would get 2 reward cards. One for $100 for signing up and one for $150 since I was an existing cell phone customer. I got the $100 one a few weeks ago and got to thinking about the other one, it is not written down anywhere on the paperwork. Did he bullshit me?

I'm happy with the service either way but will be a tad pissed if that's the case.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ok sorry if this is a repeat: I've seen those tv commercials about the $160 and 4 lines bla bla. Is this actually any cheaper than it's been or are they using creative math? I pay that much for 3 lines and 2gb but fiddling on the web site / chat I can't seem to get it any cheaper. Cheers

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
In regard to my last post, I called the rewards line and they said it hadn't been submitted but they took care of it and are sending the second card out. The whole process took maybe 5 minutes. A+ service for once.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CharlesM posted:

Ok sorry if this is a repeat: I've seen those tv commercials about the $160 and 4 lines bla bla. Is this actually any cheaper than it's been or are they using creative math? I pay that much for 3 lines and 2gb but fiddling on the web site / chat I can't seem to get it any cheaper. Cheers

They lower the plan by removing the phone subsidy. So on the new plans you no longer get an iPhone discounted for $200, the phone is $650 and the plan is discounted.

Not necessarily bad, bit it depends person to person. If you post your plan myself or Beef will do a plan evaluation for you.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'll see if i can figure out how to post it. I'm on a Kindle Fire haha.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Wow the taxes & surcharges portion really adds up!
I tried to make it all pretty but I'm not on my own computer and I hate touchpads.
pre:
Phone 1 (Next from December)
	Monthly Plan
		Mobile Share Value Plan 2GB					$40.00
		Mobile Share Value Smartphone 4G LTE w/ VVM			$40.00
		Discount for Mobile Share Value Savings				-$15.00
		National account discount					-$4.00
	Total plan charges							$61.00
	Equipment Charges (Next starting December)
		NOKIALUMIA 1020 YEL
		Amount Financed: $609.99
		Installment 9 of 20	08/08 					$30.50
		Balance Remaining after Current Installment: $335.49
	Total equipment charges							$30.50
	Total Phone 1 with fees & surcharges					$99.88
Phone 2 (HTC 8x contract until March 2015)
	Monthly Plan
	Total plan charges							$25.00
	Total Phone 2 with fees & surcharges					$37.10
	(about $3 worth of international voice / text charges)
Phone 3 (Dumbphone, but still under contract for HTC 8x purchase until March 2015)
	Monthly Plan
		Mobile Share Value Basic & Quick Message Phn			$20.00
	Total Phone 3 with fees & surcharges					$27.28
Grand total									$164.26

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CharlesM posted:

Wow the taxes & surcharges portion really adds up!
I tried to make it all pretty but I'm not on my own computer and I hate touchpads.
pre:
Phone 1 (Next from December)
	Monthly Plan
		Mobile Share Value Plan 2GB					$40.00
		National account discount					-$4.00
	Total plan charges							$61.00
	Equipment Charges (Next starting December)
		NOKIALUMIA 1020 YEL
		Amount Financed: $609.99
		Installment 9 of 20	08/08 					$30.50
		Balance Remaining after Current Installment: $335.49
	Total equipment charges							$30.50
	Total Phone 1 with fees & surcharges					$99.88
Phone 2 (HTC 8x contract until March 2015)
	Monthly Plan
	Total plan charges							$25.00
	Total Phone 2 with fees & surcharges					$37.10
	(about $3 worth of international voice / text charges)
Phone 3 (Dumbphone, but still under contract for HTC 8x purchase until March 2015)
	Monthly Plan
		Mobile Share Value Basic & Quick Message Phn			$20.00
	Total Phone 3 with fees & surcharges					$27.28
Grand total									$164.26

Yes you should consider switching to the 10GB plan.it works just like your current one: the plan is reduced and you pay for the phones on installment plans. So plan wise right now you are paying $40 for 2GB, your lines are $25, $25 and $20 (feature phone) which equals $110. The 10GB mobile share is $145 for 3 lines, so you would essentially pay $35 extra for 8GB more of data. So if you are staying under 2GB, keep your plan, if not move up. FYI you can change it month to month,for instance you could switch to the 10GBplan for a month you go on vacation and switch back the next month when you are back home.

With both plans just add the installment plans on the phones as well, those won't change.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've never gone over 600mb until now when I accidentally left my kindle downloading video over tethering :v

The feature phone I'd like to switch to a fixed line; if I switch to an installment plan instead of an ETF I have to finish paying off the phone? Sorry for the dumb questions, and thanks for your help as always.

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
I got the 4.4.3 update yesterday for the HTC One (M8), and I've been having some problems.

-My texts either don't go through, or they get stuck at sending for quite awhile (like 10 minutes).

-Apps take a really long time to update. They seem to get stuck around 70% while downloading.

-My alarm no longer works. Made me late for work! If I set it for one minute in the future, the phone will confirm that the alarm will go off in less than a minute, but it doesn't go off when the time comes.

I don't know if this is a specific AT&T update bug. I haven't seen any other complaints on the internet, so I'm wondering if its just me and I should do a factory reset.

Edit: Also battery seems to drain super fast now.

Edit2: Looks like I'm not alone, a couple other people having the same problem on the AT&T community website.

Raimondo fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 28, 2014

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Raimondo posted:

I got the 4.4.3 update yesterday for the HTC One (M8), and I've been having some problems.

-My texts either don't go through, or they get stuck at sending for quite awhile (like 10 minutes).

-Apps take a really long time to update. They seem to get stuck around 70% while downloading.

-My alarm no longer works. Made me late for work! If I set it for one minute in the future, the phone will confirm that the alarm will go off in less than a minute, but it doesn't go off when the time comes.

I don't know if this is a specific AT&T update bug. I haven't seen any other complaints on the internet, so I'm wondering if its just me and I should do a factory reset.

Edit: Also battery seems to drain super fast now.

Back up what data you can and hard wipe the phone, see if that fixes it.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I'm coming up on the end of my current contract next week and was looking into a new phone. I've been keeping my eye on the Galaxy S5 refurbished that AT&T offers on their website and previously it's been $80. Today I looked and it's listed as free.

I don't really have too much hesitation buying refurbished for a phone, but this seems too good to be true. A new S5 on contract is $200, is there some fine print I'm missing on this?

Also, anyone have a guess how long this offer's going to be up? It'd be just my luck it expires just before I'm eligible for a new contract :) .

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Samsung always deeply discounts phones 6 months+ into their lifecycle, especially given the iPhone 6 will be announced in like 10 days. You aren't getting scammed.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mercury Hat posted:

I'm coming up on the end of my current contract next week and was looking into a new phone. I've been keeping my eye on the Galaxy S5 refurbished that AT&T offers on their website and previously it's been $80. Today I looked and it's listed as free.

I don't really have too much hesitation buying refurbished for a phone, but this seems too good to be true. A new S5 on contract is $200, is there some fine print I'm missing on this?

Also, anyone have a guess how long this offer's going to be up? It'd be just my luck it expires just before I'm eligible for a new contract :) .

Web offers from ATT can come and go at any time. It can be there one hour and gone the next.

Just keep in mind if you are on the new mobile share value plan if you sign a new contract the line rate goes up $25 a month until the contract is over. If you are on an old plan (minutes based) then your plan don't change at all.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
we're currently on a mobile share, and our contracts are up in a couple days. So as I understand it, if we do the full 2 year contract thing and take the subsidy, we lose the $15/month mobile share whatever discount. So on the Next plan, does it matter if we wait until the contract is up, or is the Next rate just the Next rate regardless of contract time?

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
So Im making plans to buy the new iPhone next month. I went to the corp store to get my ducks in a row. My line has about five months on the contract, but Id rather not wait if I dont have to. I can set up on Next, which makes sense, but one thing that has me was the ATT guy saying I would have to return my old phone to make that happen. Is that true, or is he trying to fluff his buyback numbers? And if that is policy, can I at least get credit for stuff?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

stimpy posted:

we're currently on a mobile share, and our contracts are up in a couple days. So as I understand it, if we do the full 2 year contract thing and take the subsidy, we lose the $15/month mobile share whatever discount. So on the Next plan, does it matter if we wait until the contract is up, or is the Next rate just the Next rate regardless of contract time?

The Next rate is the same regardless of your old contract time, so you can do it whenever you want to.

gypsyshred posted:

So Im making plans to buy the new iPhone next month. I went to the corp store to get my ducks in a row. My line has about five months on the contract, but Id rather not wait if I dont have to. I can set up on Next, which makes sense, but one thing that has me was the ATT guy saying I would have to return my old phone to make that happen. Is that true, or is he trying to fluff his buyback numbers? And if that is policy, can I at least get credit for stuff?

Unless you are already on Next you don't have to do a phone trade in. If you did a trade in you would get a trade in credit (normally it wont be as good as selling online via ebay or whatever). And with 5 months left in contract, its either Next or wait 5 months. If you are on the new Mobile Share Value plans Next absolutely is the better option, on the old plans its a case by case basis whether you should do old or new plans

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 31, 2014

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Awesome, thanks for the confirmation.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Forgive me for what may be a dumb question, but this spawns off what someone told me a few weeks ago on the iPhone thread.

I bought an iPhone 5 at launch two years ago, which obviously reset my 2 year upgrade cycle at the time. I checked my upgrade status 2-3 weeks ago and I was eligible for partial.

Someone very confidently said to me that AT&T uses the first day of the month as their eligibility date. (Basically my 2 years may not be 'done' until sept 21st or whatever but the iPhone 6 might go on sale like sept 12th. Etc...) but that AT&T would honor that full subsidy discount as of 9/1.

I guess what I'm asking is, not to doubt that fellow who told me that, but I wanted to see of anyone else knew/had experience with that...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Forgive me for what may be a dumb question, but this spawns off what someone told me a few weeks ago on the iPhone thread.

I bought an iPhone 5 at launch two years ago, which obviously reset my 2 year upgrade cycle at the time. I checked my upgrade status 2-3 weeks ago and I was eligible for partial.

Someone very confidently said to me that AT&T uses the first day of the month as their eligibility date. (Basically my 2 years may not be 'done' until sept 21st or whatever but the iPhone 6 might go on sale like sept 12th. Etc...) but that AT&T would honor that full subsidy discount as of 9/1.

I guess what I'm asking is, not to doubt that fellow who told me that, but I wanted to see of anyone else knew/had experience with that...

ATT changed it to the day the contract ends instead of first of the month, but I think they changed it back. I've had a few if those examples work out fine even though it didn't yet get to the exact contract end date, just within the month.

Just call ATT and check today, now that its the 1st you would either be eligible or not. Personally, the company probably isn't that dumb, so they would probably adjust the policy for iPhone launch.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I'm on a grandfathered unlimited plan and AT&T keeps calling me out for tethering so I'm sucking it up and buying a mobile hotspot.

It looks like the Unite Mobile 4G WiFi is the way to go, anything I'm missing? I can just pick it up for $80 and it's $50/5GB? I hate AT&T but I'm going to be traveling to the middle of nowhere possibly for an extended period of time and I know reasonably well all other carriers are next to useless in that area.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

NOTinuyasha posted:

I'm on a grandfathered unlimited plan and AT&T keeps calling me out for tethering so I'm sucking it up and buying a mobile hotspot.

It looks like the Unite Mobile 4G WiFi is the way to go, anything I'm missing? I can just pick it up for $80 and it's $50/5GB? I hate AT&T but I'm going to be traveling to the middle of nowhere possibly for an extended period of time and I know reasonably well all other carriers are next to useless in that area.

I'd shop around, many places offer them for quite a bit less, sometimes free. Check Best Buy, Costco, RadioShack, Target, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NOTinuyasha posted:

Do you really use that much data that an unlimited plan plus extra $50 is still cheaper than the new plan?

Otherwise, yes and you can turn it off and on at anytime if you buy the device outright (aka $80).