Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

NOTinuyasha posted:

It looks like the Unite Mobile 4G WiFi is the way to go, anything I'm missing?

For what it's worth, my parents have had horrible experiences with the Unite model hotspot - I've seen it firsthand. Kept trying factory resets and such and it would behave for a bit then suddenly nobody could join the network, even if you changed the settings and so on. I believe they even got a warranty replacement and still had connectivity problems on multiple device types. This most recently led to them saying "screw it" and just using their phones to stream music and videos directly during a weeks-long road trip. I warned them, that bill is going to be downright terrifying.

On the other hand, I've got a Liberate model hotspot through work and I haven't had any problems at all. Would highly suggest going with the Liberate, assuming someone who's more experienced knows something I don't.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Any recommendations for a decent quality simple dumbphone? We are on a mobile share plan with a line for my mother in law and she wants a new phone cause hers is dying. She does nothing but make calls, doesn't even text. So cheap and simple would be great.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I got some Samsung for $8 at Best Buy. It was for the prepaid service but it worked with an AT&T SIM. Didn't have bluetooth or a camera.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
AT&T's website is terrible and impossible to navigate, having a hard time figuring out a rough price, looking at options to get away from Verizon ($$$$$ x lovely service = :byewhore:)

What are your options when bringing your own devices (would be buying two Nexus 5's or possibly waiting to see if the Nexus 6 is in a couple months), am I still stuck on the Share Plans? Why do the GoPhone plans with Bring Your Own Device not give me any pricing options?

Trying to get a basic price on 2 Nexus 5's (that I bring) with ~4 gb of data as a baseline.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
This should be a good starting point:

http://myattrpc.com

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Crow posted:

AT&T's website is terrible and impossible to navigate, having a hard time figuring out a rough price, looking at options to get away from Verizon ($$$$$ x lovely service = :byewhore:)

What are your options when bringing your own devices (would be buying two Nexus 5's or possibly waiting to see if the Nexus 6 is in a couple months), am I still stuck on the Share Plans? Why do the GoPhone plans with Bring Your Own Device not give me any pricing options?

Trying to get a basic price on 2 Nexus 5's (that I bring) with ~4 gb of data as a baseline.

Postpaid mobile share:
$120 for call, text and 4GB of data
$130 for call, text and 10GB
Note: check to see if you get a discount through work, that could know $15-20 off a month

Prepaid:
$60 each for call, text and 2.5GB each of data (not shared)

I would do the postpaid 10GB plan, it's the best pricing for what you need.

Stop by a store,they can make sure its setup correctly and you will get some nice sales rep easy commission.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Thanks, both. We hardly ever get close to our 4GB cap @ verizon, so that would probably be sufficient. I'll need to check my work email in the morning to see what % discount we get.

Does AT&T do anything like T Mobile with the streaming music?

And these plans aren't X/year contracts right (as long as I don't buy a phone through them)?

Chrysotile
Jun 25, 2005
Mesothelioma is your friend!
Do phones from att next come unlocked? Will they unlock a phone I purchased on contract a year ago, but then changed to att next (so contract is gone now)?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Chrysotile posted:

Do phones from att next come unlocked? Will they unlock a phone I purchased on contract a year ago, but then changed to att next (so contract is gone now)?

No, they don't come unlocked; they're still not paid for and the phone is still the collateral.

If your contract is considered satisfied, yes, you should qualify for unlocking (assuming you meet the other requirements).

Altoid
May 14, 2002
I've searched a bit through this thread so I'm not sure if this is covered. But I have an iPhone 5S from end of last year or early this year. I'm on the grandfathered unlimited. But I'd likely to upgrade to the next iPhone to be announced. In past years I'd just pay normal cost of $299 plus $250 for an early upgrade. Is that still an option with AT&T next?

After running through AT&T next option it sounds like you don't get to keep the phone which I'd normally sell and get a decent percent of my money back even with the $250 fee. So AT&T next doesn't seem to be as good a deal for me.

Can I still pay for early upgrade or is unlocked my only other option to next?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
You can keep your phone with Next; you only have to turn it in if you want to be off the hook for your remaining installments. You can just as easily pay it off (like you have been with the early upgrade fee) and then use it/sell it/light it on fire.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

The Moto X is $99 on contract and $499 off contract. So does that mean the price for Next is $499/18 (+tax upfront)?

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I've heard of some carriers offering installment billing on expensive gadgets. How likely will it be the iWatch be offered on something like that?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

OK - So I've seen the new iPhone 6 and I want one.

My contract expires 9/14/2014, so do I have to wait until that day to pre-order the new phone or can I do it early? (i.e. 9/12, the first day of preorders)

If I'm use AT&T's site, it says I'm eligible for a new 2-year contract with $40 fee but I wanted to make sure I'm understanding that right.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh, hi everyone.

Altoid posted:

I've searched a bit through this thread so I'm not sure if this is covered. But I have an iPhone 5S from end of last year or early this year. I'm on the grandfathered unlimited. But I'd likely to upgrade to the next iPhone to be announced. In past years I'd just pay normal cost of $299 plus $250 for an early upgrade. Is that still an option with AT&T next?

After running through AT&T next option it sounds like you don't get to keep the phone which I'd normally sell and get a decent percent of my money back even with the $250 fee. So AT&T next doesn't seem to be as good a deal for me.

Can I still pay for early upgrade or is unlocked my only other option to next?

You can still do an early upgrade, FYI ATT Next is just the outright cost over 20 or 24 months. You are not obligated to trade in. So far my personal recommendation: if you have an old plan you want to keep, and are not eligible for an upgrade, buy this one outright (upfront or with Next) use your full upgrade for the next year. Your choice, but I think its a decent idea.

gypsyshred posted:

I've heard of some carriers offering installment billing on expensive gadgets. How likely will it be the iWatch be offered on something like that?

ATT has not offered this yet, unknown if it ever will get offered (I would think no). Personally, get a payment plan via a credit card if you want this.

Vinlaen posted:

OK - So I've seen the new iPhone 6 and I want one.

My contract expires 9/14/2014, so do I have to wait until that day to pre-order the new phone or can I do it early? (i.e. 9/12, the first day of preorders)

If I'm use AT&T's site, it says I'm eligible for a new 2-year contract with $40 fee but I wanted to make sure I'm understanding that right.

Its saying you can upgrade now, so order on the 12th.

myron cope posted:

The Moto X is $99 on contract and $499 off contract. So does that mean the price for Next is $499/18 (+tax upfront)?

No, because Next 18 goes over 24 months. Its the outright price, divided by 24, option to trade in to upgrade at 18 months. Not sure what price ATT will sell the price of the new Moto X for outrigtht, but that would be about right.

GoodBee posted:

I'm on a grandfathered unlimited, single device plan with a work discount. There is no reason for me to switch to Next. Is there any reason to not upgrade my device as soon as I can, barring waiting for a particular new device? I'm paying for it anyway, right?

I remember one time I got a further discount on my device because it had been a very long time since I upgraded. Is that still a thing? Even if it is, I don't imagine it would be worth it.

ATT still offers two year contracts, so just do that. Unfortunately No you will not get extra discounts because you waited longer.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 9, 2014

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I'm on a grandfathered unlimited, single device plan with a work discount. There is no reason for me to switch to Next. Is there any reason to not upgrade my device as soon as I can, barring waiting for a particular new device? I'm paying for it anyway, right?

I remember one time I got a further discount on my device because it had been a very long time since I upgraded. Is that still a thing? Even if it is, I don't imagine it would be worth it.

Altoid
May 14, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh, hi everyone.

You can still do an early upgrade, FYI ATT Next is just the outright cost over 20 or 24 months. You are not obligated to trade in. So far my personal recommendation: if you have an old plan you want to keep, and are not eligible for an upgrade, buy this one outright (upfront or with Next) use your full upgrade for the next year. Your choice, but I think its a decent idea.

So if I understand correctly my choices are if I wanted a normally $299 iPhone:

1) Pay $299 plus $250 (is that still the price?) early upgrade fee. $549 and next year I'd have to do the same if I upgraded again?
2) Pay $749 to buy it out right but it would be unlocked too.
3) Pay 37.50 for 20 months and I get to keep it?

Question on #3... What happens if I want to upgrade 12 months in but keep the phone to sell? I pay the remaining 8 payments of 37.50? Guess that doesn't work too well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Altoid posted:

So if I understand correctly my choices are if I wanted a normally $299 iPhone:

1) Pay $299 plus $250 (is that still the price?) early upgrade fee. $549 and next year I'd have to do the same if I upgraded again?
2) Pay $749 to buy it out right but it would be unlocked too.
3) Pay 37.50 for 20 months and I get to keep it?

Question on #3... What happens if I want to upgrade 12 months in but keep the phone to sell? I pay the remaining 8 payments of 37.50? Guess that doesn't work too well.

Correct on all accounts. Just look at option 3 as a more convenient option #2.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

AT&T is sending me a free micro cell because I mentioned offhand that I had bad service at home in a chat about my wife not being able to send/receive mms (which is still an issue, ugh)

I didn't think they were sending them out for free like that? Anyone, pretty cool. She also sent it with expedited shipping I think.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
Not to thread hijack. If anyone wants to pre-order the new iPhone, they may do so on apple.com, att.com, or my SA Mart thread.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Beefstorm posted:

Not to thread hijack. If anyone wants to pre-order the new iPhone, they may do so on apple.com, att.com, or my SA Mart thread.

Are you at the same place as before? I may be looking to get a new X on next depending on the price

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

How are you doing it via SA Mart when you don't have a credit/debit card physically present in your hand to magnetically swipe? Are you working for an authorized agent that doesn't give a gently caress?
If you're working COR i'd run that by your management. Otherwise its a quick way to be investigated and probs terminated.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm on AT&T with a 5 that is two years old. I've been informed I'm up for full eligibility. Other than a straight up subsidy, will I have an option/be presented with an option for NEXT?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

obeyasia posted:

Are you working for an authorized agent that doesn't give a gently caress?

Yup

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

obeyasia posted:

How are you doing it via SA Mart when you don't have a credit/debit card physically present in your hand to magnetically swipe? Are you working for an authorized agent that doesn't give a gently caress?
If you're working COR i'd run that by your management. Otherwise its a quick way to be investigated and probs terminated.

Beef, for the record I think that that even for indirect you should be careful.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

Beef, for the record I think that that even for indirect you should be careful.

My manager and DM are actually encouraging me to do it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ATT needs to work on their Next messaging, because I still regularly hear pod casters and bloggers describing it as a total rip off. And then in the next sentence talking about how the US will never move to contract free phones.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
I have a question in the vein of those recently asked, with a bit of a twist.

My current situation is that I'm part of a family plan with a 2-year iPhone contract terminating July 2015. I will be taking over billing responsibility for my line later this month, and switching to the 2GB mobile share plan (I believe this is still what they're called for an individual user). It looks like this will be $65/month ($40 for the 2GB data + $25 for the access charge [reduced because the contract started pre-March 8]).

My question relates to my upgrade. AT&T's website shows my line as upgrade eligible on my current family plan. I am interested in upgrading to a new iPhone 6 (64GB), but I am unsure how this would interact with the new plan, and what the charges would be from switching from the contract to Next with that upgrade. I will also get a corporate discount beginning of next month (which would be around 15-20%). Any insight would really be appreciated, and I can provide any additional information needed.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Banzai 3 posted:

I have a question in the vein of those recently asked, with a bit of a twist.

My current situation is that I'm part of a family plan with a 2-year iPhone contract terminating July 2015. I will be taking over billing responsibility for my line later this month, and switching to the 2GB mobile share plan (I believe this is still what they're called for an individual user). It looks like this will be $65/month ($40 for the 2GB data + $25 for the access charge [reduced because the contract started pre-March 8]).

My question relates to my upgrade. AT&T's website shows my line as upgrade eligible on my current family plan. I am interested in upgrading to a new iPhone 6 (64GB), but I am unsure how this would interact with the new plan, and what the charges would be from switching from the contract to Next with that upgrade. I will also get a corporate discount beginning of next month (which would be around 15-20%). Any insight would really be appreciated, and I can provide any additional information needed.

You are only eligible to upgrade on ATT Next (if you want to do a 2 year contract, you have to wait until the old one is over, which is July of '15). In your case that should be fine, you will keep the lower bill ($65 a month), add the installment plan of the full price of the phone ($750, so $31.25 over 24 months) and pay $0 (you do pay taxes up front). If you did a 2 year contract you would pay $340 up front and your bill would go from $65 to $80, so overall it's almost exactly the same cost over 2 years.

FYI your discount will go off the $40 base, doesn't go off the $25 portion. So a 20% discount is $40×20%= -$8.

smackfu posted:

ATT needs to work on their Next messaging, because I still regularly hear pod casters and bloggers describing it as a total rip off. And then in the next sentence talking about how the US will never move to contract free phones.

Its getting there, but it has been rough overall. Beyond tech reviewers being terrible at explaining it, a lot of people heard "ATT lowered plans!" Called ATT customer care, who then switched them without saying "hey, your plan was lowered because of no contract. When you next buy a phone your plan will go up." The surprise and shock we get everyday is crazy. IPhone launch with this will be fun.

Thankfully big box retailers and Apple should all be able to do Next either currently or by iPhone launch. We had s lot of issues with the big box stores not explaining things right just to make sales.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 10, 2014

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug

Thanks very much for your quick reply on this, all the reps in this thread are fantastic!

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
My wife just got a G3 about a month ago on Next. Is it possible to pay off the rest of the phone now and lower the bill?

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

How does preordering iPhones work with Next? My HTC One on Next is upgrade eligible, and I want to get the iPhone 6. Do I preorder through ATT or Apple or will either work? I'm so confused(and possibly retarded)

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
AT&T isn't going to bone the few of us who still have Unlimited Data when we try to get the new iPhone on contract, right?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

BobbyDrake posted:

How does preordering iPhones work with Next? My HTC One on Next is upgrade eligible, and I want to get the iPhone 6. Do I preorder through ATT or Apple or will either work? I'm so confused(and possibly retarded)

I used the Apple Store app on my iPad this morning and it allowed you to select AT&T Next as an option after you check for an upgrade on that line. It even quotes the price and lets you select the memory size and whether or not you want 12 or 18 month. You can do everything short of adding to cart and purchasing right now, so I would imagine that at midnight on Thursday they just unlock that button and let you add to cart.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If I check my upgrade availability, it offers Next or a new 2-year service agreement. But when I tried to unlock my old phone today, it said it couldn't because "you have not completed your service agreement."

Am I in some kind of limbo between contracts? Is there any way to see my exact contract expiration date?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Its getting there, but it has been rough overall. Beyond tech reviewers being terrible at explaining it, a lot of people heard "ATT lowered plans!" Called ATT customer care, who then switched them without saying "hey, your plan was lowered because of no contract. When you next buy a phone your plan will go up." The surprise and shock we get everyday is crazy. IPhone launch with this will be fun.

When I switched to mobile share, the guy on the phone went to great pains to ensure I knew this was the case. Of course, from reading the thread, I already did know.

suddenlyissoon posted:

AT&T isn't going to bone the few of us who still have Unlimited Data when we try to get the new iPhone on contract, right?

Bone you how? Like make you switch from unlimited? I don't think so.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

suddenlyissoon posted:

AT&T doesn't force anyone out of unlimited data. Just highly pushes the issue.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Duckman: What I wish AT&T would clearly do on their website is tell me how much a month I'll be paying for my phones on the NEXT plan. For example: On Friday, I'm preordering a 64G iPhone 6, and a 64G iPhone Plus for my wife. How much will those 2 be per month? I can't find a calculator on AT&T's website anywhere. That's bad.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

trilljester posted:

Duckman: What I wish AT&T would clearly do on their website is tell me how much a month I'll be paying for my phones on the NEXT plan. For example: On Friday, I'm preordering a 64G iPhone 6, and a 64G iPhone Plus for my wife. How much will those 2 be per month? I can't find a calculator on AT&T's website anywhere. That's bad.

NEXT 12 Installment Pricing:
iPhone 6 Plus
16GB - $37.45
64GB - $42.45
128GB - $47.45

iPhone 6
16GB - $32.45
64GB - $37.45
128GB - $42.45

NEXT 18 Installment Pricing:
iPhone 6 Plus
16GB - $31.21
64GB - $35.18
128GB - $39.55

iPhone 6
16GB - $27.05
64GB - $31.21
128GB - $35.18

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

NEXT 12 is just divide the retail price by 20.
NEXT 18 is just divide the retail price by 24.

Once the phones come out, the web site is pretty clear on how much they cost.

If your state has sales tax, that is going to be a chunk of money on Next, since you pay it on the total value up-front.