Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Are they allowing unlimited users to end their contract early because of the FCC's decision, or are they still fighting that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Silly Burrito posted:

Are they allowing unlimited users to end their contract early because of the FCC's decision, or are they still fighting that?

If you are an unlimited user, sell your account. People will actually pay to take over your contract.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Okay question time regarding NEXT, I apologize in advance for the confusion. Last year I upgraded my wife and her three siblings on my AT&T account, the three siblings got Moto Gs and my wife got a Lumia 830. But later we realized someone mishandled two of the NEXT agreements (or I was messed up on the numbers in store), they are swapped between my wife and one of her siblings. So the 830 is on a sibling and my wife shows as being on the hook for a Moto G. They explained to me later when I caught this that it's not possible to just swap the numbers associated with them. To me that's bullshit since no actual responsibility/liability changes, but whatever. Since I pay for all of it anyway we just swapped SIMs and called it good. Fast forward to now, all siblings are thinking about upgrading early by paying up the NEXT 12 amount, I'm ready to push them out the door and have them pay for their own accounts now, and one sibling has a cracked screen. Wife is happy with the 830 but would love a 950 in a few months. If there is no way to decouple/swap the NEXT agreements then the only solution I can think of here is to pay off the 830 and the cracked Moto G to fully free up those lines to fix the initial error and allow them to upgrade later or siblings break away. I can do this, but I hate to payoff the 830 knowing it was originally going to be traded-in/upgraded in two months. Help me Obi-Goons, you're my only hope to figure out the lowest cost solution here.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

No, because ATT just allows you to use the data, no 5GB cap.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldPueblo posted:

Okay question time regarding NEXT, I apologize in advance for the confusion. Last year I upgraded my wife and her three siblings on my AT&T account, the three siblings got Moto Gs and my wife got a Lumia 830. But later we realized someone mishandled two of the NEXT agreements (or I was messed up on the numbers in store), they are swapped between my wife and one of her siblings. So the 830 is on a sibling and my wife shows as being on the hook for a Moto G. They explained to me later when I caught this that it's not possible to just swap the numbers associated with them. To me that's bullshit since no actual responsibility/liability changes, but whatever. Since I pay for all of it anyway we just swapped SIMs and called it good. Fast forward to now, all siblings are thinking about upgrading early by paying up the NEXT 12 amount, I'm ready to push them out the door and have them pay for their own accounts now, and one sibling has a cracked screen. Wife is happy with the 830 but would love a 950 in a few months. If there is no way to decouple/swap the NEXT agreements then the only solution I can think of here is to pay off the 830 and the cracked Moto G to fully free up those lines to fix the initial error and allow them to upgrade later or siblings break away. I can do this, but I hate to payoff the 830 knowing it was originally going to be traded-in/upgraded in two months. Help me Obi-Goons, you're my only hope to figure out the lowest cost solution here.

Well, you can't trade in the Moto G anyway because it's cracked. So that one you will have to pay off either way.

The system at COR stores could in theory do a swap with phone trade in when upgrading, but mileage will vary on getting a rep/manager who knows how to do it vs "sorry our system can't do that." And either way, since the Moto G is on your wife's number and that's the one to pay off, I would just pay it off and that fixes everything.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Beefstorm posted:

If you are an unlimited user, sell your account. People will actually pay to take over your contract.

Never thought of that. What do you do, just log into the website and change all of the information to whoever buys it? The main downside I'd guess is losing your number.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

I've submitted an unlock request, and it's now complete. However, I don't want to restore the phone because I'm going to sell it. Since the unlock is complete, am I good to go?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Donald Kimball posted:

I've submitted an unlock request, and it's now complete. However, I don't want to restore the phone because I'm going to sell it. Since the unlock is complete, am I good to go?

I guess you could restore to factory resets? It'll avoid some idiot not knowing what to do and mistakenly reporting you.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Beefstorm posted:

Ugh. It figures that this is the first Windows phone I am actually interested in... and it's AT&T only.

Just when you thought you were out, they pull you back in

If Windows Phones were just a little more customizable and/or had more apps, I'd probably use one. I use Windows everything else

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Duckman2008 posted:

Well, you can't trade in the Moto G anyway because it's cracked. So that one you will have to pay off either way.

The system at COR stores could in theory do a swap with phone trade in when upgrading, but mileage will vary on getting a rep/manager who knows how to do it vs "sorry our system can't do that." And either way, since the Moto G is on your wife's number and that's the one to pay off, I would just pay it off and that fixes everything.

Wow I totally missed that easy solution, thanks. The only thing is my wife isn't ready to upgrade so I think we'll have the sibling hold off for a month and then just do them both together. Thanks.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Beefstorm posted:

Ugh. It figures that this is the first Windows phone I am actually interested in... and it's AT&T only.

myron cope posted:

Just when you thought you were out, they pull you back in

If Windows Phones were just a little more customizable and/or had more apps, I'd probably use one. I use Windows everything else

It's not an AT&T exclusive phone, but I don't know that any other carriers have announced it yet. You can get it unlocked too.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
What kind of plan should I be looking at for an Internet only device? I picked up a Huawei E5372 Wireless Modem/Router combo that I have jail broken. I have Verizon for my phone but ocassionally have to go out to the field for a month at a time where ATT is the only provider with decent service. What kind of Internet only plan can I look at to hook this up? Preferably a prepaid, non-contract deal because this will only be used for weeks at a time. The device takes Micro Sim cards and I can punch in the APN settings for ATT, just need to know what plan is best.

Ceros_X fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 8, 2015

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ceros_X posted:

What kind of plan should I be looking at for an Internet only device? I picked up a Huawei E5372 Wireless Modem/Router combo that I have jail broken. I have Verizon for my phone but ocassionally have to go out to the field for a month at a time where ATT is the only provider with decent service. What kind of Internet only plan can I look at to hook this up? Preferably a prepaid, non-contract deal because this will only be used for weeks at a time. The device takes Micro Sim cards and I can punch in the APN settings for ATT, just need to know what plan is best.

ATT data prepaid is $25 for 2GB, $50 for 5GB, $80 for 10GB.

Check and see if cricket offers a data only plan, they use ATT's network.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So ATT finally has wifi calling. If we have an iPhone running iOS 9 are we all set? No settings to turn on?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Jose Oquendo posted:

So ATT finally has wifi calling. If we have an iPhone running iOS 9 are we all set? No settings to turn on?

Under settings -> phone, turning wi-fi calling on will launch the configuration wizard thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Note that if you have a Mac and/or iPad, turning on wifi calling disables using them to make or receive calls. As much as I consider switching from T-Mobile to be a net positive, it *was* nice to be able to have both options available.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

Note that if you have a Mac and/or iPad, turning on wifi calling disables using them to make or receive calls. As much as I consider switching from T-Mobile to be a net positive, it *was* nice to be able to have both options available.

So this is something specific to AT&Ts implementation?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

So this is something specific to AT&Ts implementation?
I'm not really sure. The ability to make wifi calls from other devices is part of iOS 9 (and El Capitan, I think?) but requires the carrier to allow it. T-Mo has had wifi calls for awhile, so theirs might be a bit ahead of AT&T. For me it's not a big deal since I realized I rarely use the feature anyway.

EDIT: For what it's worth, it seems I'm wrong, since I've been getting calls on my Mac despite having wifi calling on. So that's cool.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 10, 2015

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
If I wanted to go get a new Nano SIM Card so I can have it for when I receive my new Nexus 6P, will AT&T give me a nano SIM card while I still need to use the micro SIM in my Nexus 5? I'm wondering because I want to know whether I should buy a SIM cutter off of Amazon or not.

edit: I called the AT&T store and asked them about my situation.... The rep who helped me was not very helpful. He told me that they have had issues with activating Nexus devices because it was "too attached" to the previous device?? And that I would probably need to cancel my line and start a new one altogether. He then asks me "If that would be an issue to create a new line".... um yea buddy, it would be. So in the end, he just told me that I need to bring both devices in if I wanted to get a new SIM card. Well I guess that answers my question and I'll just buy a $5 SIM cutter off of Amazon and save the trouble of having to deal with clueless AT&T reps.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 14, 2015

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Busy Bee posted:

If I wanted to go get a new Nano SIM Card so I can have it for when I receive my new Nexus 6P, will AT&T give me a nano SIM card while I still need to use the micro SIM in my Nexus 5? I'm wondering because I want to know whether I should buy a SIM cutter off of Amazon or not.

edit: I called the AT&T store and asked them about my situation.... The rep who helped me was not very helpful. He told me that they have had issues with activating Nexus devices because it was "too attached" to the previous device?? And that I would probably need to cancel my line and start a new one altogether. He then asks me "If that would be an issue to create a new line".... um yea buddy, it would be.

That is bullshit. When you get your 6P just go to an ATT store (company, not affiliate) and they will give you a new SIM for your new phone.

EDIT: And I'd be tempted to send in a complaint about the bullshit that guy just told you.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

FunOne posted:

That is bullshit. When you get your 6P just go to an ATT store (company, not affiliate) and they will give you a new SIM for your new phone.

EDIT: And I'd be tempted to send in a complaint about the bullshit that guy just told you.

Went into the AT&T store a few hours ago to grab a Nano SIM for my temp Moto X since I broke my Nexus 5 last night... a week or two before I'm supposed to get my Nexus 6P. I'll be getting the Moto X tonight so I did not have the device when I asked for the nano SIM. The woman said she can just give me a new SIM card with my number attached to it but since I do not have my new device, she will have to use a random IMEI number from a display Motorola model. Is this normal procedure. That display model won't be getting all my texts and calls in the meantime?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Cross-postin' from the iPhone thread:

terre packet posted:

Does the international 6S model (A1688) work on AT&T's network?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Busy Bee posted:

Went into the AT&T store a few hours ago to grab a Nano SIM for my temp Moto X since I broke my Nexus 5 last night... a week or two before I'm supposed to get my Nexus 6P. I'll be getting the Moto X tonight so I did not have the device when I asked for the nano SIM. The woman said she can just give me a new SIM card with my number attached to it but since I do not have my new device, she will have to use a random IMEI number from a display Motorola model. Is this normal procedure. That display model won't be getting all my texts and calls in the meantime?

Well, it sounds like she doesn't know that she could have left it the same. Either way it is absolutely fine, the only thing necessary is that it's an IMEI of a 4G LTE android phone. And I always changed it by like, 2 digits so it wasn't the one in the store (she may or may not have done that). But no, your info only goes to where the SIM card is.

terre packet posted:

Cross-postin' from the iPhone thread:

Yes for ATT, no for Verizon.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
I did an upgrade on my AT&T Next plan from an iPhone 6 to a 6S+ through the Apple website. After a few weeks, the phone arrived apparently directly from the factory. A week later I started getting messages from AT&T asking me to send the 6 with the "included shipping label with the upgrade". I rechecked the box, there's no shipping label in there for AT&T. I called the Next upgrade line, and they said they couldn't help me, couldn't reprint or email a shipping label and even refused to provide me with an address to ship it in myself. They just told me that if I don't figure out how to fix this, it'll cost $399 for the remaining amount on the 6.

Anyone have a "tier 2 support" contact resource I can use to get this above line-level call center?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SimplyCosmic posted:

I did an upgrade on my AT&T Next plan from an iPhone 6 to a 6S+ through the Apple website. After a few weeks, the phone arrived apparently directly from the factory. A week later I started getting messages from AT&T asking me to send the 6 with the "included shipping label with the upgrade". I rechecked the box, there's no shipping label in there for AT&T. I called the Next upgrade line, and they said they couldn't help me, couldn't reprint or email a shipping label and even refused to provide me with an address to ship it in myself. They just told me that if I don't figure out how to fix this, it'll cost $399 for the remaining amount on the 6.

Anyone have a "tier 2 support" contact resource I can use to get this above line-level call center?

Call back, I think you just got a crap rep. Dial 611 from your phone, hit 0 three times to get to a live rep.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Got my girlfriend a Nexus 5x, and was all ready to install the new SIM card when I realized we needed a NANO SIM and the old one from her Galaxy S4 was the wrong size. So I called up one of the only AT&T stores open, who told us they could give us a new card, but it would be $25. When we got there, he told us it was $20, and asked if I could pay in cash, I guess because he already closed out the credit card machine or whatever. I only had $12 in my wallet, so he charged us $11 for the thing. My girlfriend hobbling in on crutches might have lowered the price, but is that normal? How much do those things normally cost?

He didn't set it up for us either, we had to call AT&T ourselves, which my girlfriend thought was weird but I thought was fine. Maybe he was just trying to close on time tonight.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

Got my girlfriend a Nexus 5x, and was all ready to install the new SIM card when I realized we needed a NANO SIM and the old one from her Galaxy S4 was the wrong size. So I called up one of the only AT&T stores open, who told us they could give us a new card, but it would be $25. When we got there, he told us it was $20, and asked if I could pay in cash, I guess because he already closed out the credit card machine or whatever. I only had $12 in my wallet, so he charged us $11 for the thing. My girlfriend hobbling in on crutches might have lowered the price, but is that normal? How much do those things normally cost?

He didn't set it up for us either, we had to call AT&T ourselves, which my girlfriend thought was weird but I thought was fine. Maybe he was just trying to close on time tonight.

Sounds like an "Authorized Reseller" type of thing. They are always a bit shady. I only use Corporate stores (SIMs are free), but it sounds like you were in a bind. Use scissors next time.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

BJPaskoff posted:

Or you bought him dinner, who knows!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

Or you bought him dinner, who knows!

It def sounds like the $11 was a tip.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

BJPaskoff posted:

They cost $0. They are free. AT&T does not charge for them.

Any company can pay a licensing/royalty fee and put an "AT&T" logo on their building. They can then ask for $100 for a SIM card if they want to.

You could have just cut the old SIM down to size, as well.

I've helped some people go from a 3GS to a 4S and a 4S to a 5C, cutting the SIM down each time.

If you're near a real AT&T store, they would just give you a new SIM. It was just quicker for me to cut the existing SIM card at that time (I was visiting family in another state and didn't know where the closest AT&T store was).

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Xenomorph posted:

They cost $0. They are free. AT&T does not charge for them.

Any company can pay a licensing/royalty fee and put an "AT&T" logo on their building. They can then ask for $100 for a SIM card if they want to.

You could have just cut the old SIM down to size, as well.

I've helped some people go from a 3GS to a 4S and a 4S to a 5C, cutting the SIM down each time.

If you're near a real AT&T store, they would just give you a new SIM. It was just quicker for me to cut the existing SIM card at that time (I was visiting family in another state and didn't know where the closest AT&T store was).

Geez. I didn't know you could just shave the freaking things down. Still bugs me out when I try to think about how it works, like I can't just cut my video card in half to fit in a small computer case and have it work, you know? No need to explain, I'm sure there's a reason it works.

It was 7:35 and all the close AT&T stores closed at 7 or 8, so she was in "I need to use my new phone tomorrow!" panic mode. Little did we know that there was an official store in the mall ~25 minutes away that closed at 9:30, because I would have had to scroll past nearly two dozen "authorized resellers" on the AT&T site's store locator.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BJPaskoff posted:

Geez. I didn't know you could just shave the freaking things down. Still bugs me out when I try to think about how it works, like I can't just cut my video card in half to fit in a small computer case and have it work, you know? No need to explain, I'm sure there's a reason it works.

The reason is simple: there's no electronics inside most of the card on modern ones. Some older ones would fail if you shaved down too far, though.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
So long as my SIM card fits, is there any reason why I would ever need a new one? I mean, so long as it works we're good right?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

FunOne posted:

So long as my SIM card fits, is there any reason why I would ever need a new one? I mean, so long as it works we're good right?

Not sure what the technical reason is, but I've seen them go south, prevent LTE access, etc. Since they're free, not really any reason not to get a new one regularly (at least with every new phone).

EDIT:

Here's an example:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB423895&cv=820

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Another dumb question, I upgraded from a Nexus 6 to the 6P by just moving my SIM. Do I need to call in and update the IMEI on the account? Does that do anything?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FunOne posted:

Another dumb question, I upgraded from a Nexus 6 to the 6P by just moving my SIM. Do I need to call in and update the IMEI on the account? Does that do anything?

Nope. No need.

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Hi guys, sorry if this is a common question:

My contract is coming to a close on Nov 20th. I'm planning to buy a new unlocked phone on my own and stay with AT&T, will they lower my bill by $15 automatically when I deactivate the current phone and activate the new one since I'm going off a subsidised phone? How does the process work?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Sergiu64 posted:

Hi guys, sorry if this is a common question:

My contract is coming to a close on Nov 20th. I'm planning to buy a new unlocked phone on my own and stay with AT&T, will they lower my bill by $15 automatically when I deactivate the current phone and activate the new one since I'm going off a subsidised phone? How does the process work?

Are you on a mobile share plan?

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

nimper posted:

Are you on a mobile share plan?

Yes Mobile Share Value 1GB with Rollover Data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Sergiu64 posted:

Yes Mobile Share Value 1GB with Rollover Data.

The extra $15 charge should drop off automatically after your contract is fulfilled. You can always call to make sure.