Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Sire Oblivion posted:

Tri had some bosses that were Online only, no clue if this still applies here. Does anyone know if you can fight Jhen offline and vice versa for Ceadeus?

You can fight Jhen in village quests, or online solo, and you can fight Goldbeard Ceadeus online. I think regular Ceadeus is still village-only.

Sire Oblivion posted:

Please-ee-oth, because I'm assuming it's based off Plesiosaur. The real question, how do you pronounce Ceadeus?

Say-dee-us here.

The Moon Monster posted:

I say wrath-uh-los and wraith-ee-en because I think they sound best that way.

I assume they were named as a pair, given what we know about them, so I'd apply the wrath or wraith suffix to both instead of mixing and matching, myself.

edit: er, prefix. Not suffix. I'm a dolt.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Funkmaster General posted:

I assume they were named as a pair, given what we know about them, so I'd apply the wrath or wraith suffix to both instead of mixing and matching, myself.

I know, that's probably the "correct" way, but like I said I pronounce them that way because I think it's the best sounding of the options. Wraith-a-los and Wrath-ee-an sound kinda dumb to my ear.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You can fight Jhen in village quests, or online solo, and you can fight Goldbeard Ceadeus online. I think regular Ceadeus is still village-only.

Say-dee-us here.

Can you access both Jhen's offline too?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Sire Oblivion posted:

Every quest is playble offline - this game is literally the Freedom Unite of 3rd gen

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Sire Oblivion posted:

Well you can access anything offline, but if you mean as a village quest, I'm pretty sure only regular Jhen is available that way.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Sire Oblivion posted:

Please-ee-oth, because I'm assuming it's based off Plesiosaur. The real question, how do you pronounce Ceadeus?

I've always pronounced it Say-uh-de-oos. Makes it sound more like the mystical, magical whale god that it is. Also prounce Rathalos and Rathian as Wrath-uh-los and Wrath-ee-en.

fivegears4reverse posted:

I honestly don't know why people insist on spelling Fish rear end in a top hat as "Plesioth".

I forgot how much people hate Plesioth. I can't wait to hear the cries of pain as he hip-checks my whole team into oblivion. :allears:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've been watching MH:Frontier videos the last few hours to kill time and it seems like a large number of people are using the lance or bowgun, and I'm pretty sure every single group I've watched has had a hunting horn. Are those weapons just exceptionally broken in Frontier or something?

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 19, 2013

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
The frontier metagame involves not letting the monster move at all while maximising dps until it falls over.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Local Meijer's broke the street date so badly they sold out already... yesterday. Apparently it had been on shelves since early last week. Welp.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
I guess I was the only person to get it early from Amazon or something. I'm way out in the middle of nowhere, too.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
So what is the drive to keep playing? Does new gear open up new abilities or new movesets, or is the sole thing driving you onward cosmetic/passive abilities and the excitement of new monsters?

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
What drives you to play Punch-Out?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Helion posted:

So what is the drive to keep playing? Does new gear open up new abilities or new movesets, or is the sole thing driving you onward cosmetic/passive abilities and the excitement of new monsters?

As you go through monsters and their armour and weapons, you work your way through a tiered list of quests, increasing in difficulty. Once you reach a certain point you can advance into the next rank (the three ranks are low rank, high rank and G rank) and get access to better weapons and armour. Higher ranked armour has better skills and the G rank armours look different to the lower ranked ones. There are also monsters only available at higher ranks. But there's no story line or anything. It's just your desire to kill giant monsters and wear their heads as helmets. :black101:

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Helion posted:

The fun of fighting new monsters, the fun of dressing up my virtual action figure in ridiculous armors, the fun of becoming more and more skilled at the game and destroying monsters that once destroyed me.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I don't know why people always say Monster Hunter doesn't have a story. It doesn't have a GOOD or DEEP story, but there is one. In this case, the offline portion entails you saving the village from the monsters causing earthquakes. Once you're done with that, you head off to the city to reach new heights as a Monster Hunter, a career you've become invested in due to the happenings in the village.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

Sire Oblivion posted:

Tri had some bosses that were Online only, no clue if this still applies here. Does anyone know if you can fight Jhen offline and vice versa for Ceadeus?

Beard-Whale

God drat I am excited for some new Monster Hunter

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

See-dee-us
Wrath-ian
Wrath-a-low-ss
Pless-e-oth
dee-ab-low-ss
mon-a-blow-ss

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

I don't know why people always say Monster Hunter doesn't have a story. It doesn't have a GOOD or DEEP story, but there is one. In this case, the offline portion entails you saving the village from the monsters causing earthquakes. Once you're done with that, you head off to the city to reach new heights as a Monster Hunter, a career you've become invested in due to the happenings in the village.

The story isn't much, but it does have some very charming NPCs. The Guild Representative in Moga Village comes to mind. I think 8-4 did the localization? Whoever it was, they did a great job.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Sire Oblivion posted:

It seems like she pronounced it "Rothalos" but Rathian sounded right. How were you pronouncing it?

Wrath-Al-OS

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I'm going to my first midnight preorder opening. Christ what have I gotten my self into? Do I need to bring some sanitary wipes?

Monster Hunter one hell of a drug

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

Those big plastic wraps people bring to Gallagher shows are usually a good idea.

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008

darkhand posted:

I'm going to my first midnight preorder opening. Christ what have I gotten my self into? Do I need to bring some sanitary wipes?

No, they're not nearly as 'spergy as you think. Just a bunch of bros that are mad hype for Gears of War. There might be one or two odd ones, but don't be judgmental.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

darkhand posted:

Depends on where you are there is a small gamestop that only does midnight openings because all gamestops do. The largest one I went to was the first WoW expansion and that was only about 18 people. SC2 had only 6 people and for the WoW expansion cataclysm I just bought it online but my friends ordered it at gamestop and it was 3 hours until the server opened so I tagged along, we were the only 3 people there so we won the "best costume" posters.

Maybe Blizzard just isn't popular where I am it was when I was in highschool. We even has a broodwar club where we all stayed after and played SC:BW on in the computer lab. I have seen some massive pre-order crowds though in cities.

edit: In the Burning Crusade line there was a guy dressed up like Thrall he was kinda weird and out of place since everyone else was freezing in nerdy T-shirts since they were running a promotion that you got a poster if you wore WoW related shirt (the rear end in a top hat behind the counter wouldn't count my More DoTs shirt as WoW related).

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
Given logical etymology, Ceadeus is pronounced "say uh day us", but then again, the NA translations sometimes are... questionable.(Volganos/Lavasioth?)

And I'm voting to start a new pronunciation, "Ra Talos" for Rathalos. It'll be great just to hear people of both camps agree that someone is loving it up, then turn them on each other. :allears:

I'm stoked about this, but somewhat upset that I'd have to get a wiiU to play this on the internet. Not that I'm without others who are down for co-op, but I got a friend or two that are going to be real lonely playing off in a corner by themselves, or worse: they get online and I'm out the circle.

Man, I know everyone I talked to had a gleam in their eye when I told them about Tri-G, and their rage at Plesioth:
"You ever fished that bastard out, he did a hip check, then dived back in and ran to the next area? Well now you can be all I'M COMIN' IN AFTER YOU, CHUM SUCKER! and beat on him until he jumps OUT the water."
Tears of joy at even the idea of sweet, sweet revenge.

Last--and this is my official tip for all the GS newbies--kick into the sword slap, it's lots faster than doing the standard first swing, and it is a fast stun strike if the opening presents itself.

NON-EDIT: "Plesioth is pronounced 'CHUM SUCKA' " :colbert:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

darkhand posted:

No, they're fine. Usually a bunch of dudes just in a line talking to their friends. There's a couple little kids, neckbeards and some one that's obviously way too loud and is trying to show off by talking about some game no one cares about. It'll also go by really quick if you're just talking with your friends and 100+ people can shuffle through quickly. You're in and out before you know it.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Does Plesioth still have a bullshit hitbox (loving hip check), or did they make it physically make sense?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Monster hitboxes have made sense since Tri. If you get hit with Plesioth's hip check now you deserve to get hit.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Machai posted:

Does Plesioth still have a bullshit hitbox (loving hip check), or did they make it physically make sense?

His hip check is not the entirety of his everything now! It's been fixed!

Also, to those of you who don't have to wait until 11AM tomorrow for your game shop of choice to open before you get to play: :argh:

The Year 20XX
Mar 26, 2008

Minimal typos.

ChibiSoma posted:

Also, to those of you who don't have to wait until 11AM tomorrow for your game shop of choice to open before you get to play: :argh:

I was going to swing by my Gamestop at midnight at grab my copy but they told me they won't even be getting them until tomorrow. :smith:

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Sorry, is the eshop release 9am EST or PST?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

gobbledygoat posted:

Sorry, is the eshop release 9am EST or PST?

PST so noon if you are east coast.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I got the amazon preorder deal, but I wish I had taken the day off. :( Or at least Wednesday.

Lavastine
Jul 16, 2007

Colbear posted:

I reserved a copy of the 3ds version at Gamestop and the guy who rang me up said I should show around 10pm to "finalize the transaction" and get my game right at midnight instead of waiting in line at midnight or whatever. He was fairly insistent about it.

Is it reasonable to assume that's bullshit and just show up around 11:45? The store is in the middle of a pretty large city and the last bus runs around 12:30.

I called my gamestop and the guy said they had more people waiting for MH3U than GoW.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

pixaal posted:

PST so noon if you are east coast.

Nah I'm west I was just hoping I could get up at six and it'd be done by the time I'd had breakfast

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I reserved a copy but didn't go for the midnight release because I have raid in RIFT tonight. I think it would have been fun to go and "confuse" Gears with God of War (Hey! Kratos has some futuristic armor and a gun now? Man, God of War has really gone down hill).

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only
woohoo just picked up my copy, time to go for table #10, I'll let you guys know if it's annoying whatsoever.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Two hours to go and I'm still debating whether to buy this digitally or not. Does anyone know if load times will be faster? Logic says yes, but the programmer in me says 'who fuckin knows, code is weird'

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Ciaphas posted:

Two hours to go and I'm still debating whether to buy this digitally or not. Does anyone know if load times will be faster? Logic says yes, but the programmer in me says 'who fuckin knows, code is weird'

Given how horribly slow everything on the Wii U is I doubt it matters one way or the other.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
It was mentioned in the last thread, but the differences are mostly minimal in load times. Some number crunchers said it was around 1 second less loading over an entire mission, and slightly noticiable more loading for armor previews. Eitherway, though, both versions supposedly load incredibly fast.

Edit: Went and dug up the quote

Social Dissonance posted:

So somebody from Japan did a loading time comparison of all the different ways you can load MH3U:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19687217

He compares disc, internal memory, external hdd, and external ssd. All told load times are EXTREMELY fast across the board. That said, you can load armor faster and save about 1 second per quest using the internal memory. Some people on reddit even mentioned going internal if only to save some wear on the disc drive (valid point).

Here's hoping the Nintendo store doesn't have issues on Day 1, I might end up just buying it digitally.

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Depends on if they make use of the wiiU's extra RAM to load areas ahead of time instead of just use the same RAM size assumptions as the 3DS and load 1 zone at a time making the load time equal. This is capcom so they didn't change anything with how loading into RAM works so the digital will be faster. Digital isn't out for another 11 hours 10 minutes though, and then you have to download it. Its up to you what you are doing. You'll probably save time in the long run waiting for the download and everything but hey whatever works best for you!

(Do you know how long the loading screens are in Super Metroid when added up? They take up a pretty good chunk of a speed run of the game and we are talking about a cartridge based game).

• Locked thread