Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
So after slowly working my way through HR1 with sword and shield, I decided to check out the dual swords, and yeah, they're fun as hell. Demon mode kicks rear end.

Also, looks like I ended up with Table 3, so that's nice.

I can definitely see how people can get really into this game. I'm having a lot of fun and I haven't even killed a big monster yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Two hours to go and I'm still debating whether to buy this digitally or not. Does anyone know if load times will be faster? Logic says yes, but the programmer in me says 'who fuckin knows, code is weird'

Depends how badly you want/don't want a physical copy. I hate fiddling with discs and I'm totally spoiled by Steam so I'm downloading it, but there's a 99% chance the download+installation will be absurdly long. Like I wouldn't be shocked if I got home from work at 3, started up the download, and wouldn't be able to play until the middle of the loving night.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
More people were at my Gamestop for Monster Hunter than Gears, including a lot of frat types. It was surreal.

There was also a group of three redditors who wouldn't stop saying "le." Also, like everybody was creeping on the woman working there.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Pomp posted:

More people were at my Gamestop for Monster Hunter than Gears, including a lot of frat types. It was surreal.

There was also a group of three redditors who wouldn't stop saying "le." Also, like everybody was creeping on the woman working there.

This sounds like some microcosm of the internet and gamers in general. Like seeing the internet given physical form, and the result is too strange to really fully comprehend.

Though, I am glad it seems more people are excited for MH3U then the recent gears release. Might sound good for sale numbers in the West.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I've got it. I've got it in my hands. It's...it's real :qq:

Just too bad I can't actually play it until tomorrow.

sexy wheely
Oct 11, 2008

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pomp posted:

Gonna agree with Dawnfire. That sounds like the internet just manifested itself silent hill style at that gamestop.

Also, if you know any attractive girl who works at a gamestop, pity them. Booth babes and other such gals only have to deal with the nerd creep a few times a year, these guys have to bear it every loving day.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Club Nintendo posted:

By adding your PIN#, you'll earn 0 Coins for your purchase of game.

This made me laugh. I guess you can't register a game right at midnight.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just got home; never played MH before so quite unsure how to do this charm thing... but here it goes I guess!

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008
Alright, I just got the game at GameStop, attempted to rig my charm the by manipulating the Wii U clock, and now I'm blazing through the tutorial until I can check my table with the fish lady. Hopefully this works...

Also, my GameStop was full of people there for GoW, but they did mention that all existing MH3U Wii U copies in the store have been reserved out already. I guess this is a good thing?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just got home; never played MH before so quite unsure how to do this charm thing... but here it goes I guess!

The charm stuff is actually really, really arcane even for monster hunter. It only really matters to bother with if you don't want to get a crummy table (you don't want to get a crummy table and the method for getting onto one of the good tables is simple and in the OP).

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
gently caress you all it doesn't come here until saturday

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Because lots of people are going to be picking up this game and reading this thread around the next few hours, here's the steps to manipulate the charm tables. This will land you on Table 10. If you don't have a very specific build in mind, this is the best table. If you do, you've probably already looked up the table you want and the time required for it.

quote:

-I started by closing out all software running on my 3DS.
-I toggled off the wifi switch
-I went into settings -> other settings -> set date for 1/21/2012 -> Ok -> Set time -> 00:12 (I was unsure about timing so wanted to give myself lots of time) I hit "Start" on my stop watch at the instant I hit "Okay" for setting the time. I wanted to give myself an extra minute.
-I opened up MH3U as a fresh program from my home screen, it was not running in the background.
-I pressed A to skip the intro movie, and A to advance to the main menu screen
-There are 4 options, New Game, Continue, DLC, Options
-I positioned my cursor on "New Game"
-I waited until my stop watch showed 2:43, then pressed my "A" button with New Game selected
-It then brings you to "Create your character"
-Created my character at a leisurely pace, started game, talked with Elder/etc, went into the house, slept/saved and quit out of the game.
-Entirely closed out of the game from the home screen.
-Went into settings, set my clock/date back to what it should be, turned wifi back on.
-Proceeded up until the guild quest for getting guts (followed the speed guide for suggestions)
-Sent boat out using power paddle and target was Moga Coast
-Put results into the .de calculator
-Confirmed I was on T10 first shot

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Are those more or less the same steps that will need to be undertaken for the WiiU version?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ciaphas posted:

Are those more or less the same steps that will need to be undertaken for the WiiU version?

Should be similar from what IRC is saying like the exact same your clock is set after you confirm the time (set your stop watch!) and your clock ends when you press NEW GAME. Make sure the internet is off (you will most likely have to delete your wifi settings on the wiiU).

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only
Some notes on the 3ds version:

After playing the psp games for so long the frame rate on this game is great in comparison, everything is so smooth (I'm guessing 60 frames?)!

The touch screen customization is pretty awesome, you can register 3 sets that you can switch between. I'm trying out having the 2 slot item bar on the touch screen where I can just tap the left and right buttons with my thumbs to scroll through, so far it's quite nice. Also me being a smartphone user for years, I didn't realize the 3DS' touch screen is pressure sensitive, which led me to absolutely hate the virtual dpad in the demo. If I didn't have the CPP I'd actually be much more fond of using the dpad now that I know this info.

The CPP camera control is fluid for the left and right motions, up and down kinda clicks the camera up and down, switching ZL and ZR to rotate the camera is a godsend, I'll probably end up using that more than the cpp right stick for most camera navigation, it feels very natural.

With the wireless switch toggled on your 3ds will actually notify you of people around you playing the game.

Street pass adds the guild cards of people to your game, and these hunters will show up in your guild hall. You can hire these people to complete quests for you (don't know if they're kinda like the felynes farm quests from MHP3 yet).

commander nojj fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 19, 2013

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

gently caress Capcom so hard in the rear end for not releasing this at midnight.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Sire Oblivion posted:

gently caress Capcom so hard in the rear end for not releasing this at midnight.

In all fairness, that one is probably on Nintendo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I don't see why Nintendo would dictate when it goes live, haven't other titles been released at midnight?

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only

Sire Oblivion posted:

I don't see why Nintendo would dictate when it goes live, haven't other titles been released at midnight?

Apparently they usually only midnight their own games, 3rd party ones get the 12PM treatment, though I hear the new lego game sort of broke this statement. I can't confirm that.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Got my copy and it's stopped raining. :toot: Now all I need to do is set my charm table...

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Nintendo is taunting me. Log onto eShop with the desperate hope that maybe they decided to put it up early. I see the NEW! banner over the icon for Ultimate. I click it and.....still only the demo.

:negative:

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
Do we not have to 'discover' item combos in this game? In a weird way, that makes me kind of sad.

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only

SnakesRevenge posted:

Do we not have to 'discover' item combos in this game? In a weird way, that makes me kind of sad.

the combo book has always had the actual items needed for the combos, you still have to combine the items for the first time to find out what they actually make. All of that is still the same in this game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm going to feel really stupid but... I just accepted the first quest and there's a green icon over my head. I must of misread something because I can't leave to go get these mushrooms; and whoever I talk to just says "good luck!"

Tried reading around the options menu; canceled and reaccepted the quest; just running in general... uh what am I supposed to do? :cripes:

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm going to feel really stupid but... I just accepted the first quest and there's a green icon over my head. I must of misread something because I can't leave to go get these mushrooms; and whoever I talk to just says "good luck!"

Tried reading around the options menu; canceled and reaccepted the quest; just running in general... uh what am I supposed to do? :cripes:

Go to the left

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If its anything like original Tri, you need to go over to the leftmost side of the town on the docks and get on the boats.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Also press a

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Thanks; apparently I'm a idiot. I just remembered finding the mushrooms listed out in the hunting area and figured I'd just be running back there again and grabbing them.

I hope I can check the charm thing soon; I figure a lot of this is because I'm a slow reader but it seems kinda crazy jumping through all these hoops for this

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Don't worry about it. Back when I first played Tri, I had the same thought process and experience.

Also, don't forget the irc channel #monsterhunter at irc.synirc.net
Come and see my commentary on how I'm dumb and try to fight a lagiacrus when I should be delivering guts.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Nahxela posted:

Don't worry about it. Back when I first played Tri, I had the same thought process and experience.

Also, don't forget the irc channel #monsterhunter at irc.synirc.net
Come and see my commentary on how I'm dumb and try to fight a lagiacrus when I should be delivering guts.

Also forgetting to turn the wifi off when trying to get charm table 10 and having to do it over again.

A lesson in practice.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Do what I say, not what I do.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Confirming that you should definitely remember to turn off your Wii U's wi-fi when trying to game the charm tables. I was gunning for 10, but got lucky enough to end up with 3 anyway. I followed the basic instructions and skipped the wi-fi bits like some sorta idiot.

Now I can stop rushing through and start gathering everything ever

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Got table 10 first time completely painlessly.

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008

Funkmaster General posted:

Got table 10 first time completely painlessly.

What version do you have, Wii U or 3DS? Did you remember to disable wifi? I didn't disable wifi and now I'm worried that I might end up with a different table. :smith:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I'm dumb and didn't disable WiFi and got table 13, fyi. I'm also on Wii U. Going to get my second round tested soon.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dinotron posted:

What version do you have, Wii U or 3DS? Did you remember to disable wifi? I didn't disable wifi and now I'm worried that I might end up with a different table. :smith:

3 or 4 people have already confirmed leaving wifi on fucks it up (it uses server time instead of system).

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Dinotron posted:

3DS, and yes I remembered to disable wifi. If you don't disable wifi it's basically like not doing it at all. You could still end up with the table you want but it's pure luck.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
So, got the game and went through all the hubabaloo to get onto T10. Thing is, I just shut off my router so that the wii-u couldn't connect to the net. Seems like that works just as fine because I was able to confirm that I'm definitely on T10.

Trip report on the most minor things that people probably won't care about:

-Kelbi's no longer die when you do enough damage to them. Instead they'll just get knocked out. I assume this helps non-KO weapons to get kelbi horns easily.
-Game doesn't have a way to change screen size, so if you have the overscan problem like me then you'll have to grin and bear it.
-Dear Lord this game is colorful compared to Tri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is the table site down for anyone else?

Also just did the guts quest. I mentioned last thread I have a crippling fear of video game water enemies so that sure was fun :v:

• Locked thread