Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
btw MH3U HD will not have cross-region play between US/EU or off-TV play on launch; however it is getting a patch (next month-ish?) to add it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

RuBisCO posted:

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu/monster_hunter_3_ultimate

Am I getting this right? If I complete a quest online, the corresponding quest will also be completed offline? That would be very cool.

This would make way too much sense so I refuse to believe it :colbert:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
There's no difference between online and offline quest so it's true ("offline" quests being separate from single-player quests, which don't even correspond to each other anyways).

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

RuBisCO posted:

Am I getting this right? If I complete a quest online, the corresponding quest will also be completed offline? That would be very cool.

Seems like this is more if you complete offline multi quests. As in, if you were playing with your buddies on you 3DSes and got some quests and HR points together, that would transfer to the online multi quests. Don't think it means that the fishing village and the new online one will have any sort of connection. This is essentially the same thing that was done for the PSP versions.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I love video games and Monster Hunter is the best video game that's sort of all that needs to be said really

Monster Hunter 2016

J
Jun 10, 2001

Plesioth is a whole lot less terrifying when his hip check doesn't hit the entire zone he's in. It's going to take a while to not be completely terrified of that move after being used to MHFU.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

J posted:

Plesioth is a whole lot less terrifying when his hip check doesn't hit the entire zone he's in. It's going to take a while to not be completely terrified of that move after being used to MHFU.

It still has pretty nasty hitboxes, and Plesioth is super huge in the demo which makes him extra annoying. I don't know if he's like that in the full game but in the demo it's impossible to hit anything but his feet unless you have a gsword or he's knocked over.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

RuBisCO posted:

As others have discussed, Port Tanzia is essentially Tri U's Guild Hall.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

J posted:

I used to think "oh man if only I could go into the water and chase him down" and then Tri came out and I never really got the hang of underwater combat all that well and now I find myself wishing he'd just stay on the land again. :regd09:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Metrohunter posted:

I used to think "oh man if only I could go into the water and chase him down" and then Tri came out and I never really got the hang of underwater combat all that well and now I find myself wishing he'd just stay on the land again. :regd09:

Best way to fight underwater is equip a lance and just charge to attack and to avoid the monster. You propel yourself like a torpedo.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Christ, that charm table stuff. :stare:

Anyway, I actually liked underwater combat in Tri. You just have to bring gear that gives CurrentRes Hi so you don't get sloshed around. Pretty much mandatory if you're gonna take on Lagi with a hammer.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Nah, while current res helps a bit, it's definitely not mandatory and it's not that big of a game changer.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Shot in the dark, but any MH goons planning on getting the 3DS version living in or near Shawnee, Kansas? Trying to get a group together for weekly meets at the Oak Park Mall.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
If mid air slashes are possible now, does that mean you can launch a player at a monster and the flying player will strike it? I've never played Monster Hunter with other people before and pretty much solod everything, so I'm rather looking forward to trying out groups for the first time. Although I imagine I'll wind up causing friendly fire the first few times because I'm just so used to doing everything by myself.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
By mid air slashes, are you referring to the MH4 stuff? Because Tri U doesn't have any of that, except maybe the SnS jump slash, but that's about it.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
Would be cool to do something like that, but Monster Hunter is as close to a fighting game as you could get with mechanics. You'd probably be considered stuck in stun till you hit the ground.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

So let me get this straight. If I am going to shoot for charm table 10 (T10 00:14:43~45) then I need to set my system clock to 12:12am and then immediately upon saving those system clock settings I need to start a stop watch (assume the watch starts at zero and goes up). From there, I fire up the game and wait at the New Game prompt until my stop watch hits 2 minutes and 43-45 seconds. That is when I select New Game?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
... I don't even know what kind of arcane poo poo goes behind whatever these 'Charm Tables' are but I'm getting awful flashbacks to those color-sigils you were assigned in PSO based on your name that completely determined your loot-table.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
bluh, at least that was just a matter of adding spaces to your name until you got what you wanted.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
gently caress you Capcom goddamn

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I am going to press start and play the video game. You guys can spend hours and hours grinding away for the ~Perfect Charm Table~ but I'd rather get into the game. Charms are such a small part of the game that unless you're being incredibly spergy about endgame online stuff, it really, really does not matter.

If you get on one without rustshards, sure, I can see how that would warrant a do-over. But trying to get on the one chart for the weapon you main because that one has just the right combo of stuff on it for your playstyle is way too OCD even for me.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Xavier434 posted:

So let me get this straight. If I am going to shoot for charm table 10 (T10 00:14:43~45) then I need to set my system clock to 12:12am and then immediately upon saving those system clock settings I need to start a stop watch (assume the watch starts at zero and goes up). From there, I fire up the game and wait at the New Game prompt until my stop watch hits 2 minutes and 43-45 seconds. That is when I select New Game?

The date also has to be set to 21/1/2012, but yeah that's what I understand the solution to be.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Xavier434 posted:

So let me get this straight. If I am going to shoot for charm table 10 (T10 00:14:43~45) then I need to set my system clock to 12:12am and then immediately upon saving those system clock settings I need to start a stop watch (assume the watch starts at zero and goes up). From there, I fire up the game and wait at the New Game prompt until my stop watch hits 2 minutes and 43-45 seconds. That is when I select New Game?.

Yes. Remember that your system date also needs to be 1/21/2012 for this.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Jesus. :psyduck: What, did they decide the game was too fun so they needed to throw in a pile of obtuse mechanical bullshit? Yeah, gently caress that. I'm gonna push start and hit things.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
It takes literally 3 minutes. I'm not even really that fussed about getting any particular table, I just don't want to get a cursed one. It doesn't make it any less dumb, but it's easy enough to fix.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I can see myself doing the fish lady thing to find out what charm table I'm on but if I happen to be in a bad one I'll probably just say "Welp, guess I'm not getting any rustshards."

I can still get ancientshards, right?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

It's kinda cracking me up how worked up people are getting about having to do something that takes less than 5min to do, in a game that people sink 100+ hours into.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Thanks for the confirmation guys.

ChibiSoma posted:

I am going to press start and play the video game. You guys can spend hours and hours grinding away for the ~Perfect Charm Table~ but I'd rather get into the game. Charms are such a small part of the game that unless you're being incredibly spergy about endgame online stuff, it really, really does not matter.

If you get on one without rustshards, sure, I can see how that would warrant a do-over. But trying to get on the one chart for the weapon you main because that one has just the right combo of stuff on it for your playstyle is way too OCD even for me.

I honestly wouldn't care about this if it weren't for the fact that some of these tables (mostly the rustshard ones) completely lock you out of certain trees. I picked table 10 because well..I have to pick one so it might as well be a good one. I also have to verify which one I am on and that is the most important part. If I am not on a cursed table then I probably won't try again and be perfectly happy. It is completely stupid and I wish I could just play without worry, but yeah...Capcom.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 18, 2013

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Norns posted:

It's kinda cracking me up how worked up people are getting about having to do something that takes less than 5min to do, in a game that people sink 100+ hours into.

I don't have a stopwatch. :(

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Norns posted:

It's not hard, you're right, but it's just such a bunch of crap that they have this in here, especially for people who are new/ignorant of these secretive buried mechanics. I don't even see what the point is beyond some poorly thought out notion of inviting variety and trade between players.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Republicans posted:

You have a computer or a phone or some type of electronic devices you post from.

That was a joke post wasn't it...

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Republicans posted:

Here's one. Most mobile phones have stopwatch/timer functionality too. It's not like we're all sports teachers or whatever.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So, does the 3DS version still have the same Streetpass functions as the Japanese 3DS game? And also, what are they?

The_North
May 13, 2009

All of Them Witches

Norns posted:

It may take five minutes to do, but confirming it worked takes a decent bit longer. I don't want to take up an evening re-doing all the un-fun early quests cause I screwed up the retarded time manipulation charm table seance.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

i am tim! posted:

It's not hard, you're right, but it's just such a bunch of crap that they have this in here, especially for people who are new/ignorant of these secretive buried mechanics. I don't even see what the point is beyond some poorly thought out notion of inviting variety and trade between players.

Unless they changed something, or I wasn't paying attention before, pretty sure you can't trade charms. If you could, then it'd be a great idea for that purpose. But you can't, so it isn't, so it's stupid.

Marco D. Sanchez
Nov 17, 2009

A day away from MH seems so far away. Also the table thing really isnt an issue, it takes like 5 minutes

Marco D. Sanchez fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 18, 2013

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
It's going to be difficult for me because I need to go outside and look at my sundial to get the time and it might be snowing tomorrow.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
It's not the difficulty of it.

It's the sheer stupidity that we have to do it at all.

Fix your loving game Capcom you sacks.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
So are we going to make any kind of efforts to get goon meets going anywhere for the poor hopeless bastards who are stuck with the 3DS? I mean, I'll probably take a few days just getting used to the new system and getting back into the game. But still, couldn't hurt.

What I'm getting at is that I live in Northern Virginia and there has to be goons somewhere near me who like to hunt giant monsters, damnit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
OK so the US MH3U eshop download isn't available at midnight?

• Locked thread