Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Gaffle posted:

Bring sonic bombs to make the horn breaks easier. Throw one as the monster is burrowing under the sand but before it is completely submerged and it gets stuck. This doesn't work at all if it is enraged.

Other than that... I don't know of any slick farming strats, its a pretty straightforward fightm

Then after it frees itself from the ground and is floating back down throw a flash bomb in front of it for even more free hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Office Thug posted:

What is the most painless method for farming Black Diablos in G-rank? I have decided to try doing this. Also I am 100% solo, since I don't have wireless for my Wii U here.

Pellet shot in a LBG that can rapid fire it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Office Thug posted:

What is the most painless method for farming Black Diablos in G-rank? I have decided to try doing this. Also I am 100% solo, since I don't have wireless for my Wii U here.

A Gunlance. Sonic bombs when it burrows, flash bombs when it pops out (it's the only time diablos actually "flies." Drop a pitfall when it's ready to get up, flash it again when it pops. Basically cycle between sonic and flash bombs to keep it comically incapacitated.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 15, 2014

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
So confirm for me, this Monster Hunter series of games does not exist for PS4 and PC and is unlikely to exist for such platforms for at least the next year or two, correct?

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

SlyFrog posted:

So confirm for me, this Monster Hunter series of games does not exist for PS4 and PC and is unlikely to exist for such platforms for at least the next year or two, correct?

It will likely never exist on these platforms. Because Capcom hates money.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Maleh-Vor posted:

It will likely never exist on these platforms. Because Capcom hates money.

Well, it won't exist on PS4 any time soon because of nintendo, and it won't be on PC probably because :effort: and tencent already has a terrible game out for that

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

gwrtheyrn posted:

Well, it won't exist on PS4 any time soon because of nintendo, and it won't be on PC probably because :effort: and tencent already has a terrible game out for that

About that, what's the opinion on MHO anyways?

It looks nice but it's not really considered a good game is it?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Koorisch posted:

About that, what's the opinion on MHO anyways?

It looks nice but it's not really considered a good game is it?

I had the opportunity to try it when I was in china for a semester but didn't bother because I heard it's basically what you'd expect from a chinese market mmo

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Office Thug posted:

Poison Gunlance, preferably the Rathian line but the Narga line is decent too. They rage a lot and are weak to poison anyway, so may as well go for it. Their HP pools are also fairly small so your RAW shelling damage will go pretty far. If you're making the narga line, upgrade into it rather than forging it to save on materials.

Maleh-Vor posted:

It will likely never exist on these platforms. Because Capcom loves money.

Fixed that for you. Japan just isn't into consoles compared to portable gaming.

Portable 3rd sold 4.5 million on psp, maybe something like .5 million on PS3, to illustrate this point. MH3U was something like 2 million 3DS vs. .2 million WiiU. MH3, on the Wii with its hugeass install base, still only sold 1 million in japan. They just don't like consoles (more time to play portable, consoles take up space in the home, they prefer local multiplayer to online, etc.) and since consoles/PC are more expensive to develop for and would give them less returns, they won't be likely to release there because Capcom does, in fact, love money.

Maybe they'll get somebody to cheaply up-res some textures for a WiiU MH4U, maybe they won't. It's anybody's guess, but after their attempt on the Wii I don't think they'll try console as the primary platform again anytime soon; it'll at best be a port platform.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

gwrtheyrn posted:

I heard it's basically what you'd expect from a chinese market mmo

Can you expand on that subject?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Koorisch posted:

Can you expand on that subject?

It's a boring grindfest most likely. If it takes 10 hunts to craft an armor set on console, it will take 100 hunts in the MMO.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I dunno, that sounds better than Frontier.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
That sounds pretty similar to MHFO, to be honest.

Office Thug posted:

G-Prime posted:

Pellet shot in a LBG that can rapid fire it.
Pellet Shot is not great for Diablos in 3rd gen. It doesn't have the same hitbox for pellets as it did in the previous games. Ice shots at the horns/face, Normal 2/3 at the tail (not the tailcase thing at the end), or Pierce down its belly/wings are all much better options. Pellet's pretty mediocre compared to your other Blos options now.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
It used to be a pellet magnet in the tail tip which was also a shot damage weak point

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Hey guys, guess who's back? :woop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6Ma_hGLYiQ&t=6m20s

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is that Ukanlos? Also, how the hell does he fit under "Flying Wyvern?"

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Sire Oblivion posted:

He jumps! :eng101:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

Yes it is and yeah, I never got that either. They should have just called him and Akantor an elder dragon.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
They can fly in their dreams~

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

:stare:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
But seriously, Akantor and Ukanlos are called Flying Wyverns because they're the same body model as tigrex, who's a flying wyvern also, but they all belong to the pseudowyvern body type along with narga, barioth and gigginox. They're just bigger and don't have any wing membrane on their front legs and move around by digging (in rocks/lava or ice).
:goonsay:

And yes, Ukanlos jumps :getin:

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

Jesus Christ almighty.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

avlein posted:

Jesus Christ almighty.

The Autism levels are too drat high!

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

avlein posted:

Jesus Christ almighty.

Hell yes

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

avlein posted:

Jesus Christ almighty.

:stare:...I-is that real?

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Neo_Crimson posted:

:stare:...I-is that real?

I was gonna call bullshit on it but the official MH twitter/Unity Blog just confirmed it: http://www.capcom-unity.com/dubindoh/blog/2014/09/17/tgs-2014-monster-hunter-4-ultimates-palicoes-get-a-sonic-the-hedgehog-armor

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Gotta go fast.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So your telling me I can hunt dragons with two cats dressed as Mario and Sonic while I'm dressing as Link? Welp.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Here's another thing I didn't expect: there's a Dara sub that appears to have Stygian Zinogre's colouring. Here's the new trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDknVt_MYTM

Edit: Here's some pics too.
http://imgur.com/a/PTX1x

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Sep 18, 2014

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

Celery Face posted:

Here's another thing I didn't expect: there's a Dara sub that appears to have Stygian Zinogre's colouring. Here's the new trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDknVt_MYTM

Edit: Here's some pics too.
http://imgur.com/a/PTX1x

Looks like what was already an awesome game is gonna get even better. I was debating on whether to get the Japanese version next month and transfer my MH4 data, but I think I'll hold off until it comes out over here and enjoy it in English.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Some TGS footage showing the charge blade, it seems a lot faster than it was in MH4. Really good to see, cause I heard the charge blade had some problems in MH4.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Wow, yeah, that actually looks much better, and very fluid. I wonder if that speed increase is going to cause it to overshadow other weapon options, though. Like, I foresaw myself using the charge blade in the same type of role I'd use the gunlance in, fights where I want to be defensive, but have an occasional HUGE burst of damage. This looks like it can do exactly that, but seems to have the faster move speed and range that the gunlance doesn't have. Obviously, that comes at a slight defensive penalty, in having to shift back to shield mode, but it might be worth it.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Seems like the Switch-Axe has some new moves in Axe mode. Did it have these in 4? What's changed? I'm not in the loop so far.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

apophenium posted:

Some TGS footage showing the charge blade, it seems a lot faster than it was in MH4. Really good to see, cause I heard the charge blade had some problems in MH4.

Yeah that definitely looks a lot better. I hope they bump up the shield's effectiveness as well since it was pretty bad in vanilla MH4. It only had the stopping power of a SnS shield but lost sharpness on use like a GS.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

G-Prime posted:

Wow, yeah, that actually looks much better, and very fluid. I wonder if that speed increase is going to cause it to overshadow other weapon options, though. Like, I foresaw myself using the charge blade in the same type of role I'd use the gunlance in, fights where I want to be defensive, but have an occasional HUGE burst of damage. This looks like it can do exactly that, but seems to have the faster move speed and range that the gunlance doesn't have. Obviously, that comes at a slight defensive penalty, in having to shift back to shield mode, but it might be worth it.

The shield mode is pretty weak and eats away at your sharpness same as GS blocking and, beyond that, I think it'll depend on what variety they've added to Charge Blade (more elemental and status maybe) and how they've likely tweaked the damage and general weapon modifiers to match the new windup speed for its vial moves.

Generally a change like this isn't to make a weapon numerically better, but to make it feel better which is just as if not more important and probably part of why they've decided to not divide the weapon modifiers out. Basically, it'll still be better than it was in terms of feel since it'll be easier to get the moves off, but damage-wise they'll have likely tweaked them to compensate.

They're pretty aware of weapon overshadowing too, I'd say, beyond apparently hating the Longsword. They buffed up the SnS damage and moveset and changed the Switch Axe sword mode balance after adding Charge Blade, for instance.

Maleh-Vor posted:

Seems like the Switch-Axe has some new moves in Axe mode. Did it have these in 4? What's changed? I'm not in the loop so far.

They'll probably end up changing other things again, but yeah it had those in 4. Consensus was that they increased its ability to stay in sword mode, but tanked the damage of its individual moves from past games. Still basically a superior longsword, but they changed all of the phials so you wouldn't just always power and made it more about keeping up your attacks in sword mode rather than bursting. Some of the new moves and the way they chain into or out of dodge steps facilitate that.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
So I'm curious, what is the appeal of ranged combat? I've been watching some videos and, compared to melee combat, it seems pretty... boring? You don't have a lot to do in regards to move-set, and for the most part you're too far away from the monster to really be affected by a lot of his move sets. It's also pretty fiddly with the inventory system what with all the ammo types and such. Is the lower intensity of it compared to melee actually the appeal?

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Brackhar posted:

So I'm curious, what is the appeal of ranged combat? I've been watching some videos and, compared to melee combat, it seems pretty... boring? You don't have a lot to do in regards to move-set, and for the most part you're too far away from the monster to really be affected by a lot of his move sets. It's also pretty fiddly with the inventory system what with all the ammo types and such. Is the lower intensity of it compared to melee actually the appeal?

The appeal of ranged is that it is high-risk/high-reward. You have half the defense and still need to be relatively close to the monster to be effective, if you are farther than 5 rolls away you are dealing practically no damage. Also, you will be dealing a lot of damage, like, comical amounts of it. if you have a ranged dude in your team and the monster is just chain-charging him, it means that dude is doing a good job at being a ranged dude.

As for ammo management, it's really not that bad. You buy the ammo you need and bring combines to make Normal 2s and maybe one other type of shot, like an elemental shot if you are elemental-gunning. The real boring part of gunning is that you will need so many armor sets and different guns, especially if you go elemental. But the payoff at the end of the day is being able to clear any G-rank quest you want, solo, in under 15 minutes, it's pretty great.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 19, 2014

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Also depending on what gun/bow you're using, you have the largest selection of status effects and elemental stuff. Being able to to transition from para to sleep to slicers to elemental damage is insanely helpful, especially in a group setting. Bowgunners are like the wizards of monster hunter.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Shooting rathalos out of the sky is hugely entertaining every single time it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Is ranged combat good in MH3U on the Wiiu? Might make me want to boot it up for alittle bit again.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 19, 2014

• Locked thread