Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

DalaranJ posted:

How do I unlock more cats for my farm? I seem to remember that they show up without warning, which probably means I get them by doing some of these farming missions. But I hate farming missions.

Story advancement. They just knda all had showed up for me before I had to fend off lagi. Same with the 3 boats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Is the IRC info from the OP up to date? Or is the channel just empty?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

WendigoJohnson posted:

They didn't really promote 3 overseas either. Japan had entire 30 second TV ads dedicated to the game.

Which makes sense, MH was outselling pokemon for some of its iterations in Japan.
Of course what makes far less sense is why Capcom is so insistant that there's no market outside of Japan for the series.

I blame the bad reviews for the first game. I hated those reviews so much. Since they were "Durr I played for 2 hours and only got to gather poop and swinging my giant sword is like swinging a giant sword, oh and multiplayer is even worse! Worst game ever."

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

i am tim! posted:

Ohhhh, THIS so much. Just screw that place and it's one/two tight channels filled to the brim with camera-blocking weeds. I'll gladly spend my own traps just so I can see what I'm doing when I capture him.

Weirdly enough I only have this issue with Lagiacrus. With Gobul and the Royal Ludroth, I have no issue fighting them in the water.

Size and movesets make the difference.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

nerdbot posted:

Yeah, I dunno, on one hand I can't exactly defend the design at work with the Wii U here, but on the other hand the situation where your Wii U will need to be connected to both the 3DS and the internet simultaneously seems so unlikely that I can't exactly complain that they didn't accommodate for it.

But they're the ones creating the design space of "Have your friends come play Wii with you, using their 3DS as remotes."
If the gamepad or 3ds as a remote is going to be any more adopted than the gameboy advance as your remote for the gamecube, it shouldn't have these flaws.
But hell, maybe nintendo didn't expect or plan for that, and it's just some designers being clever.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Ignimbrite posted:

One of us, one of us, one of us.

Monster Hunter is great by itself. But seriously, the amount of fun you have playing with friends and goons (or at least people who know how to play the game) is tenfold more than solo.

Playing with people who have no idea what's going on has its charm too. Had a guy who was just terrible about constantly running in and dying in like 2 seconds with DS and that rarity 1 port vendor set who clearly got carried through HR1 keep complaining that he was "only level 2" and that it was bullshit he couldn't kill anything and was being 1-2 shotted. We got a wrathalos almost limping in the time it took for him to run in, get conked, and run back 3 times. Almost killed the los, if he'd just waited outside he'd have gotten a reward.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

The Crooked Warden posted:

I also picked up the Wii U solely for MH.

No regrets.

Well, none I can't repress anyway.

Yeah I had a ton of holiday gift cards to best buy that I wasn't going to use, and so ended up getting the whole shebang for only like 100 out of pocket. Then a week or so ago I checked out the list of upcoming games and well, it's a good thing I have Monster Hunter. I don't think there's anything announced between now and this time next year that makes me think "Wow, I sure am glad I've got a wii!"

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Hypha posted:

I've just started; all I got is Jaggi armour tier weapons. I don't really mind if they made the beginning easier; it is just different is all.

E: Compared to previous games.

Yeah, for single player the monsters seem to have dramatically lower health compared to some of the earlier monster hunter games. Multiplayer puts them back on the usual track, and if you go to the solo port you can run quests with the monsters feeling more where they should be.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

i am tim! posted:

It's true, it's not terribly newbie friendly, but things will become much more clear as the game goes on. LIke they said above, once you start hunting the Large Monsters, you'll have no problem knowing what to do.

The only other thing I can think is obtuse (aside from "Who drops what?") are the egg/powederstone carrying quests. I don't know if there's anything in the game that points you to where to find them.

The series has actually come a long way towards being more beginner friendly, and I'm hopeful the next iteration will keep the trend up, while still keeping the Monster Hunter feel.

Some things improved since the series started: a decent starter weapon from each type, scaling down the HP and damage from monsters in solo-mode starting, and an explanation of movesets.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

BurningCourage posted:

Nah it's possible to repel it first time at least, I managed to do it by just going loving nuts on it with dual swords and repelled it at the 5 minute left mark. It helps to bring along underwater ballista shots, which you can get from the Argosy trader dude, because those will save you time spent gathering them from the arena section of the fight. It also helps to eat for felyne bombardier, which I think increases Ballista damage as well.

Yeah I think you'll do fine going into it blind. I managed a repel my first time without taking in any UW ballista ammo, but I did hit him a bunch with the ballista and shots you could gather from them and got in 2 dragonator hits.

I can see why farming Caedus would be boring, but I kinda like these fights against such a giant fuckoff monster tthat it barely acknowledges you, and you're taking damage just from it stomping around.

This was in LR barroth gear and a lagomi gunlance.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

jyrque posted:

It boggles me why this has been removed, along with the ability to farm ore.

Doublespit is pretty useful though. since it lets you just keep plowing through cooking. Also the grill mask lets you ignore manually cooking too.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
That review reminds me of the original monster hunter's reviews in the US. It was practically universally panned by idiots who even would proudly admit having played 0 multiplayer or having quit before beating great jaggi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mistle posted:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day, when things called "Tomodachi"s were "the thing", people would call the stores to ask if they had stock, and the associate--while literally handing them out to people in-store--flat out told the person on the phone, "No, we don't have any in stock."

Better to lie to people that aren't there to complain to management. Also, it's entirely possible that a few of the :gb2nitecru: decided to squirrel the box in an obscure corner so their paychecks can clear and they can buy them before they sell out entirely.

Not caring goes both ways :v:

Yeah calling to check if a store broke street date rarely works. Places that do break it, aren't gonna tell you over the phone, that's how they get caught. That Walmart broke 3ds street date thing was also a crock, since it was just someone saw the DSes in the glass storage case, not actually bought one.

• Locked thread