Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
All I want is a drat charm that gives me an automatic +10 in a skill like evasion. :colbert: Can this charm table shenanigans give me that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Looking at my amazon orders list and my copies still haven't shipped. It says they'll be here by 8:00pm tomorrow night. They'll get here, right? Right? :qq:

Joking aside, I think there's a big amazon warehouse in southern California near me, so it might make it in time.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sire Oblivion posted:

It seems like she pronounced it "Rothalos" but Rathian sounded right. How were you pronouncing it?

Don't read too much into the pronunciation, because they didn't say azure correctly either. :colbert:

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad everybody's getting their copies (mostly) without issues. I just got the email from amazon that mine's shipped. :toot:

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yesterday it all started with me wanting to hold off on going back to my typical "Hammer and Great Sword everything" ways. One quest of trying out the hunting horn turned into hours of using it. I remember avoiding this thing over all the other weapons in Freedom Unite. This starting HH is pretty good too. health boost, attack/defense boost, movement speed+, and ESP. Love it.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Lesson learned: Always, always, always bring a backup trap on a capture quest. :negative: (And you'd think I'd have learned that after MHFU, MH3, and MHP3.)

edit: And here's my pitch for the Duramboros light bowgun: This thing owns. Get some Pellet or Normal Shot Up skill and Normal/Pellet3 everything to death. :zaeed:

Speedboat Jones fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 23, 2013

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

Are monster parts dropped by cutting tails/bashing faces/etc also obtainable by capturing the monsters without breaking the respective part? If not, can I still capture the monster after breaking the part and get the item, or do they have to die?

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Rathalos_Carves

Going by how things were in Tri (I'm assuming stuff is still relatively the same), you have body carves, tail carves, wound rewards, capture rewards, and shiny drops. Using Rathalos (Tri) here as an example, when you capture him, there's a 29% chance of getting Rathalos webbing. In addition to that, breaking a wing gives an 8% chance of there being a webbing in the rewards at the end. These 2 can go together, as well. On the reward sheet you should see at the top it'll say something like "Quest Reward" and there'll be one table. There's also a table below that one labaled "Wound/Cap." When you break Great Jaggi's head frills and get a King's Frill after the quest is over, you'll see it in this wound/cap table.

You don't have to kill after breaking the part to get the item. But, it seems that in general, capturing is the way to go if you're looking to make weapons and armor from that monster.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EthanSteele posted:

drat, I'm a blind idiot! I knew I remembered killing bugs in Tri before where I am right now.

Also the Jaggi light bowgun is probably the first one you'll get that can use poison shot. It does have a slight left deviation to its shots, though. I'd still just go with poison bombs, because shooting bnahabras with that gun's poison shot still shattered them. It left altaroths intact, though!

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Capcom clearly wanted to give players a taste of grinding early on in the game with these carpenterbugs. I need 10 to upgrade this gunlance. :negative:

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like a badass. I never got to High Rank in MH3 or finished the Moga storyline. But in this I've finally done both. I didn't see how my light bowgun was going to beat Ceadeus, but that and the UW ballista ammo really put a hurt on him.

The ballista seemed to have been key. I ended up putting 19 rounds from it into his face. I even whiffed with the dragonator, too, which shows that I really have never beaten Ceadeus in Tri.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

Does something dictate what can be cultivated at your farm and what can't? Finally got a few carpenter bugs but they're not an option at the farm :(

Typically the things you do on the farm are for consumables and that sort of thing. You plant berries and mushrooms that are used in making bowgun ammo, for example.

Also, gently caress yes. I got a mystery charm that appraised to an attack +4 charm. With some extra gems, my low rank Barroth set now has Attack up M and the hunger penalty has been taken off. :woop:

edit: Anybody figured out yet how many vouchers from the Bullfango event quest will be needed to make and fully upgrade the lance and gunlance?

Speedboat Jones fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 25, 2013

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just had one of those moments when I realized I should have figured something out sooner: Finish any quests with "(Canteen)" in the title. You'll level up your ingredients for the felyne kitchen, which will mean better food buffs. :eng101:

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm disappointed that there's lance hate. They were one of the best weapons in Tri and apparently were so good they had to be toned down for 3U. Oh well. I guess I'll just go back to killing monsters faster with my lance than I do with my longsword. :black101:

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AttackBacon posted:

What's wrong with bowguns underwater? Bows I can understand, but bowguns just have quicker shot falloff. But if you are far enough away for that to make any difference you are standing too far from the monster anyways due to damage falloff.

Bowguns are my go-to method for killing some of the underwater monsters, especially Lagiacrus. That's how I pull off my "no healing" runs on him.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Felyne mask is a 4* trade? What stop does it come from, farmer, hunter, or wyverian?

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Search "Monster Hunter" on the 3DS e-shop and you'll find the save transfer app. Search "Monster Hunter" on Wii U and you'll find the packet relay online app.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ramadu posted:

So does this mean i can kill godzillas on the wiiu controller without needing a tv or just a 3ds save to wiiu thing?

No, the Packet Relay is so your 3DS can go online and use multiplayer using the Wii U as a piggyback. The Save Transfer app on 3DS allows you to transfer your save file between the Wii U and the 3DS. Off-tv play is said to come out in April.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe you guys are saying lance is easy mode, but for me it's light bowgun. All the HR poo poo you guys have been saying are hard I'm steamrolling without taking much damage. It's easy playing keepaway from purple ludroth and pink rathian and pounding them in the face with Normal Shot 3 or whatever element shot works best.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well this is pretty dumb. I've had like 10 in-game days in a row where I've stopped seeing Lagi, Rathian, or Rathalos in moga woods. I want my 3 and 4 star rare commodities, man!

Also, anybody having trouble Ceadeus, trade with the argosy captain for UW Ballista ammo. Start the quest with 10 shots. Then, there are 2 ballistas in that arena where you fight him and a gathering point next to each one that gives more ammo (About 15-20 shots). Those things pack a ton of damage into him. Between those 2 ballistas and the dragonator, you should be able to break something on him before the time runs out. When the Dragonator is ready and Ceadeus goes into rage mode, he'll swim to the other side of the map and take a slow-moving stroll up to where the Dragonator can hit him, and he just sits on it, so he makes it really easy for you, and the damage is really high.

Speedboat Jones fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 27, 2013

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TalonDemonKing posted:

Wait; so if slime is a weapon mod, what the hell is the Slime C+ skill? Does that just improve the slime, or does it add it to your weapon?

It allows use of slime coating on bows. Anything that's C+ is arrow coating.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Now that I'm starting to build up a decent arsenal I'm pretty stoked that some of my most-used weapons from MHFU are returning for this game. My insecticutters dragon element dual swords and gun chariot gunlance are back, baby. :allears:

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Fought my first high rank Barroth and that guy was an rear end in a top hat. Twice when I broke the mud off his head he literally reapplied it immediately afterwards. :argh:

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The game even tries to auto-detect it, too. Right when you turn the game on.

I ran into something weird a few times with the save transfer, where it appeared that my save going from the 3DS to the Wii U wasn't completely up to date. On my 3DS I upgraded my breath core hammer to the lava core, which cost 50000 zenny, about 60 earth crystals, 3 elder dragon blood, etc. After that I hit the "quit game" option from the select button menu and used that option to save the game because it'll ask if you want to save on the way out.

Then I transferred the save into the Wii U and saw that I still have those 60 earth crystals and 50000 zenny, and my hammer was back to being the breath core again, and some decorations I applied to a set of armor was not on them either.

Maybe there's some kind of weirdness about using the quit command to save? I'm not sure.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FirstPersonShitter posted:

So I'm jazzed to try out hunting horn, but I'm not sure which one to craft. I'm up to 6* village quests, so I've got some high rank materials available. The range of both damage and elemental stats AND which songs it can play are overloading my brain. Right now I'm thinking of making the gigginox coffin cause it has heal and antidote and also looks boss.

And it's great for helping your dual swords and shield-carrying buddies have unlimited stamina. :black101:

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gwrtheyrn posted:

What the hell am I supposed to do to kill gobul? I just ran out of time on him, and I can't upgrade my hunting horn anymore until the next zone.

If you hit a wall on a monster with one type of weapon, try a different one. I've always hated the Gigginox from only trying him with melee weapons, and as soon as I took him on with a light bowgun I find him a lot easier that way.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Marogareh posted:

It's always funny seeing people compare this to Dark Souls since it should be the other way around but I don't blame anyone not knowing MH existed until recently. I remember playing Demon souls and thought it was a cakewalk since the mechanics are almost identical.

Make somebody mad by saying that Dark Souls is for casuals because it has a lock on. :can:

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

Cool, I'll look into Rathalos armor next, thanks.

I forgot to ask, does upgrading armor ever give it extra slots? I wanted to get that 'capture now' skill (perception? psychic? lord the skill names in this game...) on my jaggi armor but it came up short. :(

Barroth's a fine choice for Low Rank, since it's got the same Attack Up small that Jaggi has, but also Defense. However, if you want to use decorations to pump up its attack skill, that'll lower it's defense skill. Jaggi set requires very few gems to get to Attack Up medium. Both sets have their merits, though. Barroth also comes with Guard skill, so it's a decent set for early lance, gunlance, and sword.

And Rathalos set is pretty good for Attack Up and being your first introduction to bogus drop rates. :shepface: Get ready for needing Rathalos plates, which are a pretty rare drop for Low rank. Still, it's a fantastic set for blademasters and gunners alike.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

KimT posted:

I'm up to the 8 star single player hunts (just unlocked Brachydios) and honestly I don't know if I want to make a slime weapon. The thread really makes it sound like it's easy mode or something, it seems like it might be more fun to avoid it.

I haven't made one yet either, because the thread makes it sound like a requirement.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Colapops posted:

I've been using a bow (the bnahabra bows are really good and easy to get) and 300 lightning damage vs any rath-type monster is really, really simple and quick. I'm using high rank jaggi armor (again, it's super easy to make) gemmed into attack L and some extra health. It's not a cakewalk, but I'm having no trouble.

I think I've just broken through the adjustment phase of fighting subspecies and the same LR monsters in High Rank. I put together the Zinogre switch axe and upgraded it to its 966 weapon 240 lightning damage, wearing the full Rathalos S gemmed for Attack up L and Critical Eye +1. At least on Raths and other things weak against thunder, it's not a 15-20 minute slog anymore. Monsters that are new to me still pound me unmercifully, though.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This was a thing of beauty just now:

Marquis's Blazon - Gunlance Full Rathalos suit, Artillery +6 charm. Armor gemmed up to Artillery +16. Active skills are Attack Up M, Speed sharpen, Artillery expert, and recovery down. And I picked up Felyne Bombardier from the kitchen skills.

Took out a Jhen in about 15-20 minutes, forgot to take down my clear time. I broke one of his tusks, blew up both holes in his fin, and broke the skin on his left arm before reaching final showdown. Also used the two temp large barrel bombs from the item chest. Artillery expert on a gunlance is just beautiful for boosting Gunlance's wyvernfire and letting you use it more often. This is my new Jhen farming set. :swoon: At least until I decide on making a Dios suit for bomb boost.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh, I know it is. All it takes is 10. But there's not enough in this armor set for it. If I do Dios armor and my Artillery charm I'll have Artillery Expert and Bomb Boost.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Emalde posted:

Mario Party the control stick.

Think of the poor palms.

darkhand posted:

Fresh ingredients have better chances to give you food skills. EZ Items are Supply Items, they are exactly the same as their normal counterpart, but they disappear after the quest is over. Except I think EZ Barrel Bombs are autopriming, like a Barrel Bomb S.

I think that's just a way of showing that they're temp items. Anti dragon bombs in the Jhen mission self-detonate, but I'm not really sure that the EZ barrel bombs do.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

scissorman posted:

When is the best time to use the great sword's charged attack?
I found that, unless the monster falls over or is otherwise stationary for a long time, it usually moves away before I can even complete a level 1 swing.
It's even worse when the monster is enraged.

Right now I'm mostly using the X,A,repeat combo, which works but doesn't deal as much damage, though I still get knocked over sometimes when the monster moves too quickly.

It's all about predicting it. Watch monster moves and practice with the timing. Learn where you can stand to avoid a move while you let the swing charge, and with the right timing the sword will land right where you want it to.

edit: It's been linked a ton of times, but it's like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa2wMvBvpBc

Speedboat Jones fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 3, 2013

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Argas posted:

Yeah, it's the small old guy sitting on the counter between the girls. I have no idea, I stumbled upon the option after getting into online High Rank so maybe that has something to do with it.

I think that might be it.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Now that I have some pretty crazy weapons for high rank, I want to go back and get the materials to upgrade the ceadeus lance. I can kill him in one quest, but I need 4 crooked horns and out of killing him 3 times tonight, I got 1. I now have more deep dragon gems than horns. :argh:

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EthanSteele posted:

FastCharge also affects long sword, dual sword and switch axe gauges!

And bow charge bar!

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My moga forecast is so lovely with days and days of Great Jaggi in a row. When I see something good, like an Azure Rathalos pop up, I put plans on hold for that.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Moon Monster posted:

Same here. I actually dropped out of a fairly good group to kill a zinogre, the first 6* item dropping monster I've ever seen in free hunt. Thank god he actually dropped it.

Azure Rath drops 6* trades too. And I think Deviljho drops 7*.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Trade in Duramboros humps for 1500 resource points each. You can get a decent amount from Low Rank Dbos and be pretty well set on resources for a while.

edit: You're right, low rank Moga Woods only has Great Jaggi, Peco, R. Ludroth, Rathian, Rathalos, and Lagiacrus. Nighttime Moga Woods has almost everything. Just about every time you fight a new monster in high rank village Junior tells you he saw one in the woods, even ones that make no sense being there, like Barroth.

Speedboat Jones fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hypha posted:

Sometimes Barroth just wants a vacation.

He vacations to a place without mud.

• Locked thread