Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I've been mostly using light bowguns so far, and I've been hearing a lot about how heavy bowguns are the way to go if I'm looking for more power and faster kill times. However, I've only ever noticed the heavy equivalent of whatever I'm using be around 20-40 points stronger than the light gun. Is there some kind of hidden damage bonus applied to big guns that makes them worth it, or is it pretty much just "lots of damage really fast in a team with crouching fire"? 30 damage or so doesn't seem like giving up the ability to effectively double my elemental bullet count with rapid fire.

Also, are pierce rounds amazing? Have I been missing out by not using them? They have such a long time between shots that I tried them once early on and immediately put them away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

The game really likes to favor G. Jaggis and R. Ludroths, as far as I've noticed. I've only seen one Ivory Lagiacrus in the forecast so far, and not a single Joe. They'll show up, it's just....painfully rare.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

G-Rank missions forced me to give the SnS a second chance, and I have to say I'm rather impressed with it so far. The damage isn't quite on par with what I'm used to, but in one fight against a Rathian, the shield's already saved me half a dozen times from explosion breath catching me with my pants down.

Is the Narga SnS any good with all of that affinity, or is it all element all the time for this thing?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Unoriginal Name posted:

How do I get more than 5 Chum-Chum Tickets in Ultimate?

I get Chum-Chum tickets every now and then, taking the Shakalakas along for every hunt. The cat just sorta seems to give'em out at random as long as you're hauling the kids around with you.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Unoriginal Name posted:

That cat will give you one when Kayamba and Cha-Cha gain a level in Chuminess or whatever but I need a bunch more to upgrade the paralyze dual swords.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. Their chum level has been maxed out for quite some time in my game though, and I still periodically get the tickets. Think after they max out it just happens every so often.

I don't know of any way to speed that process up, though. Sorry.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Fought and captured the Plesioth on my first try in less than 15 minutes. I don't know why everyone was going all "gently caress this guy" all the time. :smug:

Fought Green Plesioth today. For the wiki saying that he likes to hang out on land more often than his blue cousin, he absolutely refused to get out of the water for more than two or three minutes at a time. At one point he jumped onto the beach, tried (and failed) to tag me with a water beam, jumped back in the water, swam to the next area over, and returned almost immediately before I could get to the area transition.

That was the first time a hunt has taken me 40 minutes. :negative:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

5er posted:

VIDEO GAMES TURN CHILDREN INTO KILLING MACHINES! Don't forget that though.

Get him a good hunting horn and he will, though. Those things actually do really good damage, especially if you're bopping stuff in the head. Everyone loves a good KO!

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Office Thug posted:

Do hunting horns get any better later on? Looking at the upgraded weapons, the hammer is just plain better in terms of raw damage, but I kind of miss the hunting horns ability to grant super-speed movement, especially for underwater fights.

That's sort of the point. The hammers have more raw damage because that's all they do, whereas the horn is there to both deal damage AND hand out amazing buffs for you and your friends. You sacrifice the benefits of these songs for the oomph of the hammer.

Also I doubt you're gonna find any Tri damage info for hunting horns, because they weren't included in that game.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

So I've been trying out the GS and am convinced it's pretty much the most satisfying thing ever. What armor skills am I looking for, assuming I have access to early G-rank stuff? Currently using Rathian X, which isn't the best set but it lets me not worry about lugging around nutrients for after I croak.

I know Crit Draw and Fast Charge are both lovely, but what else is good?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Len posted:

I picked up Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for the 3DS. The only experience I have with MH was a little of the original PS2 game. Anyone have some tips for a new guy?

Your weapon is like a penis: If you aren't using it, you should probably put it away. Being able to sprint or superman dive is a HUGE lifesaver.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Today started out so well. Fought my first Rusty Duram, was carving him up with that Purple Ludroth GS with all the poison on it. Poor guy was spewing purple gas practically non-stop, though it didn't seem to be doing a lot to him. But then a miracle happened: I pinged Cha-Cha to make him come over near me, forgetting he was wearing the artillery mask. All of a sudden he deploys and sends Kayamba sailing into the beast's tail with the fury of an angry god. That casing popped right off like it was taped on, and I even managed to get Durambolite out of it!

Then my day rapidly soured as I had to fight G-rank Gigginox and his Baleful cousin. I've never been a fan of the species, but...between the incredibly lethal poison, the constantly replaced egg sacks on their backs, and the non-stop flip jumps and roars, I think I can go without ever fighting one again. First fights in this game to make me ragequit.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Does KO damage affect the monster's stamina in any way, or is it just the ability to stun monsters when you hit them in the head several times in a short period of time? Not sure what exactly I would get out of punishing draw, but making things tired would be cool.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Len posted:

Still loving around and getting used to this game. What is a good weapon for a beginner? The sword and shield seems to hit like a funoodle but I like the feel of it because it's faster and I'm not super slow like with the great sword.

The sword and shield gets a lot better when you can start to make some elemental ones. If you're into faster weapons, you could try dual swords. They're all about lots of rapid hits and while some of the animations can go on for a while, as long as you don't get too crazy you can dodge pretty much whenever you need to. Just be prepared to get intimate with monsters, as the range is extremely lacking.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Rusty Duramboros question. When he tosses himself into the air after spinning, when does he decide where his tail is going to come down? I swear I've started rolling like crazy as soon as he goes up, but that tail ALWAYS comes down right on my head. This guy has got me seriously stuck.

Also, you can flash bomb his spin? Wouldn't that be really hard to do since he's constantly facing different directions, or do you just have to time it?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

So I'm reading that Diablos Hardhorns drop at 5% and 7% from Diablos and Black Diablos respectively. Will the rates double if I break both horns off, or do I have to break both of them to get them to drop at all?

I need two of them for the armor set and arrrrghhh I hate fighting them.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

How do I start an advanced mission? I'm only halfway through HR7, if that's a problem.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Speedboat Jones posted:

Ceadeus, Duramboros, Rathalos (when he won't stop flying). The three monsters that cause the most aggravated reactions in me.

And yet I would rather fight any of them than G-rank B. Gigginox. Stop laying time bombs on yourself, I need to be close to you to harm you!

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Just finished running Pain in the Plains for the...fourth time or so, and I got not one, but TWO diablos hardhorns! New armor, here I come!

Boco_T and Speedboat Jones, thanks for letting me know to do that hunt in particular. You guys are my heroes.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

ChibiSoma posted:

E: ^^^ High five 'gently caress this quest' buddy.

Stygian Zinogre is my white whale. I just don't see how it's possible to solo him. I'm on a 3DS and no one I know plays the game, so I can't call in a wingman or three.

I managed to take him down on my own with the Rathian X set (low dragon resist, but I had the kitchen buffs to compensate) and the second best Brachy GS. Ultimate mask on one of the midgets is a must, and I had a rage-focused lamp mask on the other. My fighting style was pretty much just hit and run, whenever he left himself open right after an attack I would rush in, unsheathe attack without charging, roll out, and start running around waiting for another hit.

Mega Dash Juice maxes out your stamina bar for the duration, so that might be another alternative to hot drinks if you're having issues there. Plus it gives the benefit of infinite stamina, which while only mildly handy for me, would be a huge boon to a DS user.

I think I took somewhere around 35 minutes to take him down, only charging my attacks when he was knocked over or seriously focused on The Distracting Duo. This was before I remembered to start taking bug nets to these fights, so I was spending all of the knockdown time smashing his face in. I think the big problem is that dual swords get a lot of damage from their element or slime, and if I understand how dragon blight works, neither of those are gonna happen under its effects.

Just throwing my two cents in, I'm far from a great hunter, and I don't know how much it'll help, but....yeah.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Such a wonderful day. Finally got around to farming up enough cortexes to finish my Diablos X set, and my god the skills are wonderful. Critical Draw is great, but Speed-Sheathe is just the best. I feel like I've got rocket boots on, with how much more mobile I am. Put the armor to work chopping up a half dozen Stygian Zinogres and now I have a greatsword made out of DRAGON :black101:

Also got around to making a Rathalos lance, and while I don't have any kind of armor synergy with it, it completely ruins Lagi's day underwater. Now I just need to figure out how not to get fried by Ivory. Do you get anything out of the new event one, or is it just for fun?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Man, Stygian Zinogre is a total chump but Miralis just kicked my rear end so hard it hurts to sit down. I must have been standing in all of the wrong places for that fight, because every time he so much as twitched I'd lose a chunk of health. Think it's time to go find a worn SnS to upgrade for maximum dragon.

Also, I can't seem to figure out how to get to one of the dragonators. The one on the boat right near the water is easy, but what about the one near the middle of the beach, with the sideways spike?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Planted my rear end down in the volcano for a good long while and farmed up some worn dual blades for massive amounts of dragon damage. Maxed them out, went back to the tainted sea, and showed Miralis what for. He dropped a dire dragongem! My hunter rank shot up to 37! Truly, nothing can stop me now, for I have slain the final boss and am unstoppable! Hahahahahaha!

oh jeez gold rathian why are you covered in diamonds i have white sharpness why am i bouncing off of everything ow stop stepping on my face oh dear there are explosions everywhere has anybody seen my legs

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Which would you say is better to gem in for gunning, Evasion+1/2 or Evade Distance? I actually really like the look of the Nibelsnarf set but I definitely feel like I need a defensive skill of some kind to keep me alive.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Apologies for phone-quality picture, but god drat do I feel triumphant after this one. Went in on the first try and managed to stagger my way to victory with a few potions to spare. Didn't even have to make the kelbi bow. :smug:

ChibiSoma posted:

Since I can't get a god drat Pallium off of Dios to finish his Dual Blades (over 60 kills and going. Woo...)

According to this page, you can get Brach Palliums from the reward bin 23% of the time from the G2* mission "Cold Day in Hell", with the carve rates being icing on the cake.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Apparently you can have one effect from each of these catagories, which...is five layers of stacking. Six, if hunting horns are their own thing, but seeing as how this data is apparently from Tri I have no idea how that works.

code:
DISCLAIMER: This is data from MH Tri, may or may not apply to MH3U
1: Powercharm Category
Powercharm: Class Modifier x6

2: Powertalon Category
Powertalon: Class Modifier x9

3: Demondrug Category
Kitchen Attack Up (S): Class Modifier x3
Kitchen Attack Up (L): Class Modifier x5
Demondrug: Class Modifier x3
Mega Demondrug: Class Modifier x5

4: Might Category
Demon Flute: Class Modifier x10
Might Seed: Class Modifier x10
Might Pill: Class Modifier x25

5: Armor Skill Category
Armor Attack Up (S): Class Modifier x10
Armor Attack Up (M): Class Modifier x15
Armor Attack Up (L): Class Modifier x20
^: You have to fight a subspecies of it, Goldbeard Ceadeus, in order to unlock the G-rank Tanzia quests, but that fight isn't nearly as bad. Goldilocks is much more aggressive and actually DOES things, and you skip the whole beard-breaking chase sequence. It's not a great fight, but it's not horrific.

Rainuwastaken fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 7, 2013

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

ChibiSoma posted:

When he does his Power Geyser, what direction do you block? Towards him - ie, the direction he's leaping at you from, or behind you - ie, where he'll land and where the explosion will be? Anyone with a brain would say "You want to spin and block behind you to guard against the explosion." But that's completely incorrect. Blocking him when he launches will block the explosion. So that's fun to figure out. And a real lovely lesson to learn 43 minutes into a fight.

90% of the time he does that move it has an extremely noticeable tell where he backs up a little bit, licks his hands, and makes a bunch of snorting noises. Then he jumps. It's a pitifully easy move to dodge if you just put your weapon away and superman dive. The invincibility frames on it are ludicrous.

10% of the time he just decides to instantly chain it after another attack, in which case you're screwed, but unless he cheats and does that you should never be getting hit by it. Then again I use the GS so I almost always have my weapon put away in case I need to dive.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

jsr v2.0 posted:

If you're able to reliably hit with most shots of a Spread, is there any reason to use a Rapid over it?

I'm no bow expert, but I've heard that it's pretty difficult to hit all 5 shots on a spread while still staying back far enough that your arrows reach the peak of their trajectory (and thus maximum damage). I think Rapid is generally preferred over Spread because you can stay at that optimal range and still get all of your arrows to hit whatever body part you're aiming for. Yeah, you might hit all 5 shots with the spread, but if you're too close they'll deal reduced damage, and half of'em might hit parts of a monster that shrug off projectile damage.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Looks like Teostra is back in MH4 too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x10dGfKo2s

e:VVV I could have sworn I saw Joe in some early promotional material for MH4, but I'll see if I can dig it up. For now, don't take me too seriously.

Rainuwastaken fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 1, 2013

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

WendigoJohnson posted:

So I just learned how to arc shot with a bow. However I have no idea how to actually guide it so I'll know where it falls. The shoulder trigger camera doesn't seem all that reliable when it comes to the arc shot, that and it slows me down considerably.

Yeah, manually aiming arc shots has never seemed practical to me either. Just keep using them every now and then and you'll eventually become pretty good at knowing how far away you'll need to be. Then celebrate as the monster is exhausted forever.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Colorful Beasts really does seem to drop the rare things more often than usual. I abused it for rubies back in high rank, but I'm still bitter with the mission because I wasted fifteen minutes hunting the Brachy on my first run because I'm bad at reading quest info.

siliconera posted:

Oh my goodness look at that axe I need it :swoon:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Level Slide posted:

What's a good G-rank gunner armor? Full blademaster until now, I want to try my hand at pelleting a Diablos to death.

I don't use pellet shots very much as they tend to make my brother angry, but I've been really liking the Agnaktor X set. Normal/Rapid Up and Fire Atk+1 are cool, and I can easily gem in Precision+2 and Evade Distance Up. Being able to use guns that normally have deviation has been working well for me.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Nor would I go with "super fun to fight", either. How exactly am I supposed to dodge his whole "I'm gonna jump past you, then leap attack you, then jump around again, then leap attack again" attack? Outside of evade+1, I mean.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Miijhal posted:

He goes into a pounce posture for five or so seconds right before that attack. Just move out of the way.

Nargacuga is one of the easier monsters in the game, especially if you're a gunner.

Nah, I don't mean the combo where he always ends up jumping off into a wall or something. That one's easy to avoid. I have problems against Green Narga (so maybe that's why) when it does this thing where it does a harmless jump to the side (usually ending up behind me), then pounces. It then does it again so I get hit as I stand up.

I'll check again to see if he does the whole long pause thing before that, and hopefully it'll work out.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

How the gently caress do I fight Jhen Moran? My ship always gets destroyed. I seem to do no damage whatsoever even in the especially in the second phase where he just pumps up and bellyflops on the ship.

Jhen is just one of those fights where you're never gonna feel like you're doing a whole lot to him, because he's a big fat sack of health. During the final showdown you've really gotta be ready with the binder and gong to cancel his body slams, because they absolutely ruin the boat.

Alternatively, wait and come back with a different weapon. Are you doing the village Jhen or one of the port ones?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Huh, I figured it was a dragon of some sort, but I guess it's just a wyvern. Don't know what's up with its sideways fireball spread thing, seems kinda...odd to me. The sorta rampaging tackle moves seem pretty scary though. Love how it goes crazy when someone jumps on its back. Can't wait to fight it.

Bug-staff dude chugs some potions around 4:30....with whetstones still on his bar. What's up with that?
e: hur dur just realized it's likely touch screen stuff. Whoops.

Rainuwastaken fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 26, 2013

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

As absolutely gorgeous as that Rathian looks, some of its animations are just....odd looking. Like when it gets flash bombed out of the sky, or some of the midair flips. That fire is drat pretty though.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Can I sign up for a code somewhere and get one from Nintendo, or is it the same platinum member garbage they pulled with Smash?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Pastrami posted:

So is 4 designed for the new 3ds? Faster anything other than load times? I know it can use the C stick for camera controls, but my impression is that it was made with the original 3ds in mind.

Would love a code via PM if anyone has extras!

From what I've heard, the new 3DS runs the game at 60 fps pretty much full-time, as opposed to the standard 3DS which experiences the occasional chug during multiplayer.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I quit 3U when I got burned out on farming G. Ceadus. The lady and I picked it up in preparation of 4U coming out (the day before Vday :3:) and man G. Ceadus is deffo still boring as gently caress but we've gotten really efficient at killing him.

Also getting conquerer seals is still funny because we hit Great Jaggi like 3 times and he dies.

The best thing I ever did was build the best Narga HBG I could and abuse the underwater crouch fire bug all over Goldbeard. Ten minutes of blasting him with pierce rounds and he's toast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

As someone who's done pretty much nothing but hammer things in the skull since Freedom Unite, the bug stick is a complete and utter blast to play. I jumped up and slapped Magala out of the sky today and it was glorious.

Are there any ways to extend the length of the buffs outside of kinsect upgrading?

• Locked thread