Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

sitchelin posted:

How is the 3DS Monster Hunter? If I recall correctly it needs some kind of adapter.

It doesn't need it, it just makes the controls a little better (mainly under water). If you play the demo you'll see how everything works just fine without having to buy anything extra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Notorious QIG posted:

Also if you're playing the game solely on 3DS you won't have access to online play. All of those quests will still be available but as single-player content only.

You can't play online, but it has local multiplayer. It's not as convenient as having the option of playing online, but at least you can play with other people if you have friends that both own the game and live nearby. It's better than nothing. Also, if you own a Wii U you can download some app and use it to play online on the 3DS (although why would you pick the 3DS version if you own a Wii U).

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

sitchelin posted:

Do they make one for the XL? I'm tempted to get one but since I'm pretty sure I'm the only guy around my home or around my campus that knows what MH even is I'm tempted to just stomach it until MH4 comes out in the states. That one is supposed to have legit multiplayer and I couldn't be more excited.

I own an XL and a CPP. The gameplay experience with or without it isn't all that different, but it does help. And with the hours you're probably going to put into this game I'd say it's a worthy investment. The bad thing is not many other games support it, but if you play any of the ones that do, it's really useful.

E: If you live in Europe, you don't need to import it, and it costs about 20€.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

It's true that any part can be broken with any weapon, but keep in mind that some weapons will make reaching certain parts easier.

I remember not being able to break Qurupeco's beak the first few times I hunted it without using the switch-axe's vertical attacks.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

C-Euro posted:

In 3U, does every monster have a "hit them in this certain part, get an extra type of item"? I fought an Azurous(?) for the first time today and didn't notice any sort of breakage on its model while fighting it, whereas when I fight a Great Jaggi I almost have to go out of my way not to break its crest.

Why would you not want to break it?

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

C-Euro posted:

I was one Feather away from upgrading to it so I crafted it before bed last night. This is after I failed the Qurupeco capture quest three times, twice running out of traps and once for killing it. What are some good rules to tell if a monster is capture-ready? I know what a limping monster looks like but the Peco spends most of its time flying, so it's tough to tell from that. I also notice when a monster is drooling or panting, but I don't know how that ties to health because when I killed it, it was doing neither. It had recently fled to a new area though, maybe that's related to it? Can monsters regain health when fleeing, or just general fatigue?

If you want to make sure you don't run out of traps, you can wait for the monster to go to sleep and then place the trap next to it. The trap will wake it up but it will be unable to escape, so throw a couple of sleep bombs and you're done. Of course this strategy isn't useful for monsters that sleep somewhere out of your reach.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

tower of druaga posted:

I imagine if you start up a new game of 3U you'll see 56 or so Defense down there.

Just checked. With no armor on, your base defense in 3U is exactly 50.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Those new shoulder buttons look uncomfortable to use, especially in Resident Evil Revelations, which uses ZL to aim and ZR to shoot. At least they're not important for playing MH.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

With some monsters adjusting the camera only by tapping L can be annoying since it focuses on the main body and sometimes you'll want to focus on a part you're trying to break. When I'm trying to cut a Lagiacrus tail and it moves, tapping L will often be disorienting rather than helpful.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

alr posted:

There's a thing in the options menu that lets you set it so a single tap of L is different than a quick double tap. I use L for swinging the camera behind me Zelda style and double L for focusing on the monster.

Oh, you're right. I forgot about that. Even with that feature, I find using the right stick more convenient. Anyway, I played 3U for like 80 hours before I bought the CPP and the camera control without it only ever bothered me underwater.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

So should I get 3U or is that obsolete and I should just wait for 4U?

Unless you can get 3U cheaper (which usually isn't the case with Nintendo games), you should get 4U because it has new mechanics, more monsters and more weapon types. Also, unless you play the WiiU version, 3U doesn't have online, while 4U does.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Its also even longer because its just the two of us doing this fight because of 3DS/Wii U not allowing online play.

Does WiiU not allow online play anymore? I thought it did.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Oh, that makes sense.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

MrFlibble posted:

Is there a monster you can kill in MH4U that gives good money for the parts, like Caedus/Gold Caedus in 3U? I was always running low on zenni until we started fighting that dude (but to be fair I was keeping all the parts from every other monster in case I needed them)

I never sell monster parts, you never know when you might need them. Farming nulberries is the easiest way to get money in 3U. Also Ceadeus sucks.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Thanks. Also drat, there's like zero pictures of him, at least that turn up from "Felyne Courier" or "Tanzia Felyne" on GIS. He's the cutest how could they do this to me?!

This one?

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Also he can't spell "its".

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

People say Monster Hunter is hard but I don't think it is. It might be hard getting into it because you have to learn what everything does pretty much on your own, but once you understand how it works the gameplay itself isn't difficult. I've only played 3U and haven't reached G rank, which must be hard I guess, but even if you just played low rank you can have fun and get plenty of hours out of the game. I've done most of the village quests and even if some monsters killed me once or twice, I've never failed a quest by dying three times (I've failed some of the capture ones by killing the monster). And I'm not very good at games that require skill.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that as long as you make an effort to really understand what the game is about, even if it might be challenging, it's not really that hard.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

What I mean is that if you don't craft potions, choose your equipment carefully, eat meat and that kind of stuff, of course you're going to die a lot. But not because the game is hard, but because you're not playing it right.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

AttackBacon posted:

Sure, I agree to an extent. But G-rank solo is absolutely hard even in 3u and by all accounts 4u is significantly more difficult. Particularly the level 140 guild quests, where monsters move almost twice as fast as in low rank and are perfectly capable of one-shotting you.

I don't want to be all "well you didn't even get to g-rank" because I'm all about having fun with games however you want. However I think you do have to keep in mind that a good 50% of the game occurs at g-rank and it is significantly more difficult than low rank.

I know, but you can play a lot and have a lot of fun without ever getting there. I have, for like 200 hours. When someone doesn't like the game "because it's too hard" I doubt they're talking about G-rank, because you don't get there unless you really know what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Shadalator posted:

Why is climbing this wall so loving difficult.

It says to press A. I press A, and I sit instead of climb. When I run against the wall so the "push A to climb" display lights up, I roll into the wall. I am seriously annoyed.

Make sure you're not pressing B instead of A.

• Locked thread