Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
Given logical etymology, Ceadeus is pronounced "say uh day us", but then again, the NA translations sometimes are... questionable.(Volganos/Lavasioth?)

And I'm voting to start a new pronunciation, "Ra Talos" for Rathalos. It'll be great just to hear people of both camps agree that someone is loving it up, then turn them on each other. :allears:

I'm stoked about this, but somewhat upset that I'd have to get a wiiU to play this on the internet. Not that I'm without others who are down for co-op, but I got a friend or two that are going to be real lonely playing off in a corner by themselves, or worse: they get online and I'm out the circle.

Man, I know everyone I talked to had a gleam in their eye when I told them about Tri-G, and their rage at Plesioth:
"You ever fished that bastard out, he did a hip check, then dived back in and ran to the next area? Well now you can be all I'M COMIN' IN AFTER YOU, CHUM SUCKER! and beat on him until he jumps OUT the water."
Tears of joy at even the idea of sweet, sweet revenge.

Last--and this is my official tip for all the GS newbies--kick into the sword slap, it's lots faster than doing the standard first swing, and it is a fast stun strike if the opening presents itself.

NON-EDIT: "Plesioth is pronounced 'CHUM SUCKA' " :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Office Thug posted:

This is all based on information from Tri but it's been consistent with my experiences in MH3U as well.

Rapid-fire reduces the shot damage and, afaik, elemental damage of each elemental round, but the damage ends up being higher overall per ammo used if all 3 rapid-fired rounds hit. Although overall damage will be higher, damage-over-time will be lower, and that makes it more difficult to stagger monsters (since the Stagger Damage metric for each part of a monster recovers over-time). For that reason, non-rapid fire LBGs or crouch fire-capable HBGs might be better, especially online. It's also why pellet shots can be really hit-or-miss depending on whether the monster you're fighting has an unusually large shot hit-box on one of their less shot-resistant parts (like Zinogre's head and Diablos' tail).

With all that said, bowguns in MH3U are not perfectly-balanced and you will hit monsters where the best option is to simply ditch your gunner armor and go with a melee weapon if you plan to farm them. For example, you won't get a truly effective Ice elemental LBG or bow until G-rank, which makes soloing assholes like Black Diablos and Brachidios a very special kind of ordeal. On the other hand, you get access to some weapons that are so absurdly strong you'd think there was a programming error in their stats, so it kind of evens out.

The rustshard LBGs have been rather good for me. The God's Archipelago(high rustshard) is pretty good: It fires Lv.3s, it rapid fires Crag Lv.1s(While the above point may be a thing, I've not noticed the decreased ability to KO a monster by shooting it in its noggin), and it packs fireshots, as well as a number of other statshots. Besides, any gunner that goes for a wide range and team healing doesn't have to shoot great; a team nurse for lucent Narga is never unappreciated.

As for pellet shots, it's my experience with my bowguns that aiming down slightly is better, as they tend to spread up slightly more than forward? Watching the hit registry on single player leads me to this, especially when standing under wings and such.

Refind Chaos posted:

I don't know/understand the basics so there are likely plenty of people here that can answer better than me. Damage is based on weapon type. Some weapons do more physical or elemental damage based on the type of weapon. I honestly don't know a l.bowgun/bow/H.bowgun's elemental damage vs. any given weapon's physical/elemental damage, but I know it is a factor. For instance a switch axe does different damage based on whether it is in axe mode or sword mode. If I recall correctly it does 1.2x elemental/power damage in sword mode vs. axe mode. Many of the weapons are similar, the main difference being that the switch axe has more than one type of weapon to exist as.

Yeh, there's a certain multiplier for different weapons; the hammer and switchaxe have the highest, but don't let that be the judge for what to use. Personally, I'll take the multiplier reduction to hunt black Blos with a gunlance, because keeping up with that thing and avoiding damage is a lot more trouble to me than tanking its rage and guzzling restoratives.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

I had my worst Ceadeus fight last night, I fat-fingered the O button while I was next to the Dragonator and sure did skewer the gently caress outta some seawater. He was already weak and I bet it would killed him. As it was I watched him float away serenely and said "gently caress that" because I already had a Water Attack set and just needed a scale for the bow. Not looking forward to Goldbeard either. I'm not totally against underwater fighting like some people but it's def. less fun than hunting on land. Also I miss the gorgeous waterfall area from Flooded Forest. :(

Currently wondering how bad my luck is to not get a single Amber Fang+ in three HR Barioth kills. Guess how many I need for his bow.

The Ceadeus fight has two ballista points, they also help to cut down on the hunt time. If you bring UW ammo, you get another 10 shots with it. Any kind of distraction is enough to burn through ammo, but if you're using weak armor, it's going to hurt should you be caught in the ballista.

Are you breaking the Barioth teeth? A spectacular explosion of orange enamel tends to net them faster. Personally, I spent a good ten fights on G-Rank Barioth before I realized that the item I was looking for was a different tier of Barioth v:v:v

A really good high-level armor is the bug armor(beetle/butterfly one), especially for high-rank Brachy hunting. The ability to nullify the slime status not only saves health, but also time. Having to unslime while a very good opportunity to strike passes by has happened far more times than I care.

By the way, you can draw a switch axe into sword mode with both attack buttons + the shoulder. Laying out G. Jaggis in 20 seconds never gets old :allears: Like I told someone else, "Switch axe has all the damage of the greatsword, and all the blocking of a hammer :v: "

Sekret posted:

If for some reason I had 4 separate Wii Us in a room with 4 separate copies of MH3U, but no internet connection, could we local multiplayer with each other?

I wanna say no, as there's no way for the WiiU to do an ad hoc polling? I've been wrong before, but I recall that local multiplayer with more than one console was a "thing that wasn't going to happen" last time I attempted it.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

BrightGreenLine posted:

High rank armor is generally named like "Jaggi Faulds S" or "Jaggi Faulds U", although there are sets from monsters that aren't available in low rank yet. The S sets tend to be very similar to low rank armor, while the U sets use drops from the re-skinned new monsters, like pink ludroth making the Ludroth U sets.

The U sets do tend to have new skill sets on them though.

Two things to note:

Alternate monsters(or subspecies) can sometimes have different elemental weaknesses, and their weak points can change, as well.

For new-to-the-monster hunters, you can go and check the armor crafting and look up the armor's elemental stats, those are a good reflection to the monster itself. And sometimes the skills may reflect the monster to some degree, as well.

If you make enough progress, you can recolor your armor, as well. But I miss the rainbow multicolor option, that was always eye catching.

Occupation posted:

1) you're not fighting tigrex thinks could be much much worse

2) mhfu plesioth is much, much worse

1) Tigrex still didn't have gently caress-all huge invisible hitboxes, there was that.

2) It was only worse because it was an older game, you didn't have the options 3U gives. And MHFU was cake, he would spam the forward water cannon, you were a sidestep from dropping a Lv.3 pierce arrow down the length of the neck and body.
And there's nothing like chasing it into the water, all the more if you scream something to the effect of, "Not in this game! I'm coming in after you, chumsucker!" :black101:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SL the Pyro posted:

Called my local Wal-Mart, they don't even have it yet so there's nothing for them to break street date with. :(

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day, when things called "Tomodachi"s were "the thing", people would call the stores to ask if they had stock, and the associate--while literally handing them out to people in-store--flat out told the person on the phone, "No, we don't have any in stock."

Better to lie to people that aren't there to complain to management. Also, it's entirely possible that a few of the :gb2nitecru: decided to squirrel the box in an obscure corner so their paychecks can clear and they can buy them before they sell out entirely.

Not caring goes both ways :v:

• Locked thread