Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Decius posted:

Season 3

I always had the impression they only existed to make the show more "CW-y", or at least what CW was back then, to add more relationship drama. Piz of course works as complete anti-thesis to Logan, so he by default had to be the nicest, least threatening, most understanding, most boring character in the history of boring boyfriends.

Riley from Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 4 still holds the belt for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I'm on episode 10 of season 2 and there is a severe lack of Wallace. However that does have the added benefit of there being no appearance of his irritating girlfriend. My god is she a horrible actress.

Edit: Speak of the devil. He appeared in the end of the episode I was just watching when I posted the above. :)

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 4, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

KilGrey posted:

I'm on episode 10 of season 2 and there is a severe lack of Wallace. However that does have the added benefit of there being no appearance of his irritating girlfriend. My god is she a horrible actress.

Edit: Speak of the devil. He appeared in the end of the episode I was just watching when I posted the above. :)

(season 2) Jackie gets a lot better, but that's just me. I don't have an issue with her actress in later episodes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like how that photography teacher cast member from season 1 completely disappeared. I think she was only in like 4 episodes too.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Apr 4, 2013

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?

chesh posted:

Season 3, unfortunately, suffers a great deal due to the writers strike. It was also not the only show that got completely cancelled after the writers strike. They basically wrapped up what they could, but you're correct in that the flow suffers - it just doesn't suffer due to lack of trying, in my opinion.

Could not agree with this more. Ratings be damned, this show started to really gain some traction by the end of Season 1 (the finale of which is my favorite episode of the entire series), grew into its own in Season 2, and started to get a bit scattered in Season 3 because of the writer's strike. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the final season; I'm just disappointed that it didn't get the attention it deserved.

Back to the pilot episode: Principal Moorehead remarks how Veronica always seems to find trouble, but I don't buy it. Trouble finds her, and Veronica is far too altruistic to turn a blind eye to the disenfranchised. The fact that she accepts and subsequently owns said trouble is the crux of her character.

T3hRen3gade fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 4, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Mu Zeta posted:

I like how that photography teacher cast member from season 1 completely disappeared. I think she was only in like 4 episodes too.

The actress got pregnant, and I love that they make a joke about it later in the season.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Like how the PCH'ers spelled Snitch 'Snich'

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Azure_Horizon posted:

The actress got pregnant, and I love that they make a joke about it later in the season.

The actress didn't get pregnant; that was just the explanation ultimately given for the character's absence. Rob Thomas later said that they had trouble working her into storylines, and eventually decided that it would make more sense to drop the role and allocate that money to the guest cast budget.

epenthesis fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 5, 2013

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I loved that Syndey loving Poitier's daughter's title card had the rear end Orgy license plate.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!
Just got this email -- lots of good information and a sweepstakes:

Rob Thomas posted:

Dear Marshmallows, Backers & Believers,

Yesterday I promised you a longer update. So if you've got a few minutes, let's catch up now. I mean, really catch up. (You're looking great, by the way. Did you do something different with your hair? It's perfect.) As for me, well, it's been an exciting month. I haven't been sleeping a whole lot, but it's been worth it. Let me explain.

As a lot of you have noticed, it's been a crazy couple of weeks since we launched this thing.

When we started, we knew you were still out there, and we knew you still wanted to see Veronica return just as much as we did. What we didn't know, of course, was how (or if) that would translate into the kind of budget we needed to get the gang back together, and to make the movie we've all been dreaming about.

Turns out, we didn't have to wait long for an answer. You guys shattered just about every Kickstarter record there is (and we've still got our sights set on one more). Fastest project to $1 million. Fastest project to $2 million. Biggest film project in Kickstarter history. And now, as we go into the final week of this insane experiment, we've raised a little bit over $4.5 million (!!!), which makes it a little hard to contain ourselves. So first of all, here's the most important message I need to share with you: thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Because of the way you stepped up, we're going to make history. We're also going to make, in my humble opinion, a really great movie.

And that brings me to a second important detail I wanted to share, gang, because I thought you should be the first to know. At the end of this message, you'll find a picture I took earlier this evening. (Go ahead, scroll down and look. I'll wait.)

Welcome back. Know what this photo means?

If your guess was "Rob just finished writing his much anticipated Twilight fan fiction," then sadly, you're wrong. That's still weeks away, at least.

But it does mean that, alongside all of this Kickstarted madness, I've just finished a first draft of the movie you're helping us make! There's a lot of work left to do, but it's a movie I can't wait to make. I think it's also the movie you've been waiting to see.

I wanted to take a moment to explain something that I could have made clearer at the beginning: $2 million was our minimum goal. It would be enough to get a movie made, but it was never going to let us make the exact movie we really wanted to make, or the one we know you deserve. I've spoken to the press a lot in the past month -- turns out they've been pretty excited about this whole thing -- and one thing I've explained is that the final script will depend on how much we're able to raise. $2 million would have been enough to get us back on the screen. When we started, we didn't want to set our goal higher than that, for fear we might lose our chance to make the movie at all. But because of you, we did go higher. Way higher.

We're at $4.5 million now. That's a lot of money. But for a feature length movie, it's still a pretty conservative budget. Everything you've pledged beyond the initial $2 million gives us more options, and for that I'm eternally grateful. More backing means more locations, more sets, more actors, and most important of all, more shooting days.
The bottom line? That extra support will give us the freedom to make the best movie possible.

That additional money could mean the difference between a movie that lasts 90 minutes, and one that lasts 110. It could also mean the difference between us shooting in Southern California, where the series was shot, and in a less expensive location somewhere else.

(To be clear, I can't make guarantees yet about how long the movie will be, or exactly where we will shoot, and the last thing I want is to make a promise I can't keep. But what I can promise is this: the more we end up with, the more freedom we'll have, and the better our movie will be. That's what this is about.)

That's a long explanation, but we know we're asking a lot of you. In return, we want you to know that we're not going to take all of the additional funds and swim around in a mountain of gold coins like Scrooge McDuck. Some of the money we raise will go toward the different rewards and incentives we're offering, like t-shirts, posters, DVDs, and premiere events. Turns out, a lot of it will also go toward shipping costs to get those rewards out to you. But I promise: after those costs, every dollar we raise will go toward making this movie the best it can be.

We have one week left before the Kickstarter ends. So, what happens now?

What You Can Do: If you're even reading this, you've already made a difference. Truth is, we'd be insane to expect more of you. But if you want to do more -- and hundreds of you have sent messages telling us that you do -- there's still time to help! Here's what you can do:

Check back for announcements about new events and rewards throughout the week!
If you're friends with other fans who haven't contributed, let them know that even a $1 pledge help
Keep an eye out on Saturday, when we'll post images you can use on Twitter & Facebook to spread the word.

What We'll Do: I know I haven't been great about posting frequent updates over the last few weeks, but there's been a ton happening behind the scenes every day. We've been reading your suggestions and comments and trying to respond to them, working on more events and rewards that we plan to announce throughout the final week, and somehow amid the chaos, I also knocked out a too-long first draft of the script. (#humblebrag) But now it's down to the proverbial wire, so it's time to put all the cards on the table.

Between now and next Friday, here's what you can expect:

Daily announcements and progress updates
New rewards, plus some more chances at a few of the sold-out reward levels
More exclusive details and behind-the-scenes peeks

And while we're still hoping to make a few more spots available for fans who would like to join us at one of the premiere screenings, I'm happy to announce that we've just launched a "Thank You Fans!" sweepstakes, available on our new official Facebook page for the Veronica Mars Movie. Starting now, all Marshmallows can enter to win free tickets to one of our premieres, so go Like the page and enter now!

Plus, if everything goes according to plan, later today I'll be able to share the official t-shirt designs we've been working on for the last few weeks. I'm excited about them. I think you'll be excited about them. (You'll be excited about them.) And there'll be more announcements to follow.

So, how's that for a more detailed update? Thanks for reading this, and thanks even more for helping us go back to Neptune. We've been dreaming about this for so long, it's still hard to believe it's really happening. (It is, though. Trust me. I have the lack of sleep to prove it!)

We love you guys, and we'll work every day to deserve the faith you're putting in us.

More this afternoon,
Rob

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!
These are the t-shirts you'll be able to choose from if you donated enough to the kickstarter:

But for some strange copyright-related reason, they can't put the name "Veronica Mars" on the shirts going to Europe.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

...! posted:

These are the t-shirts you'll be able to choose from if you donated enough to the kickstarter:

I was a fan of the Mars Investigations shirt that came out a couple years ago, it's essentially what's on their door.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
So I just finished episode 6 and I think I missed something: What did Wanda put in Veronica's locker to get her busted?

EDIT: oh wait, she thought Veronica had stuff in her locker for the fake rave hurr durr :downs:

Taffy Torpedo fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 6, 2013

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Every time I watch the season 1 final, I'm reminded of how a horrible person Veronica's mum is :smith:

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Ragingsheep posted:

Every time I watch the season 1 final, I'm reminded of how a horrible person Veronica's mum is :smith:

Honestly that comes out of left-field. At one point we're greeted by Veronica's rogue mother on her answering machine and we're given the impression that she's pursuing her own avenues of investigation and loves her daughter. Then out of nowhere, within two episodes, we're introduced to her alcoholism, and told she didn't finish all 10 weeks of rehab, although there's no way that as a viewer we can know the timeline ourselves with any accuracy.

It feels like it was a cancellation backup plan, but I'm not sure if I like it all that much.

HellaClassy
Dec 15, 2006

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

Honestly that comes out of left-field. At one point we're greeted by Veronica's rogue mother on her answering machine and we're given the impression that she's pursuing her own avenues of investigation and loves her daughter. Then out of nowhere, within two episodes, we're introduced to her alcoholism, and told she didn't finish all 10 weeks of rehab, although there's no way that as a viewer we can know the timeline ourselves with any accuracy.

It feels like it was a cancellation backup plan, but I'm not sure if I like it all that much.

I don't think it was left field at all. Veronica mentions very early on that her mother had a drinking problem, but you just don't see the extent of it until you're introduced to the character fully. I got the impression that her drinking was excessive before she left, but then it just got completely out of hand when she had to leave her family and had nothing else to keep her going. As the daughter of a recovering alcoholic, I could just be projecting my own experience on it, but alcoholism can seem really manageable until just one big shake up and then things get dark fast.

Her affair with Jake Kane is also hinted at really early, so I wasn't surprised that she turned out to be a bad person. She left to protect Veroncia, but wanting your daughter to live is less of a martyr move and more of a basic parenting thing. I thought it was cool because first you think she's lovely for leaving and was probably loving Jake, then you realize she did it to help her daughter and slides up on the Okay Scale, then she steals their money and gently caress that bitch. But it adds depth. She's enough of a parent to do what is absolutely necessary, but it's portrayed as a less of a redemptive quality than it is an instinctive/dutiful one, which is so different from what most television likes to project about parent/child relationships, but can be true in a lot of cases with selfish people.

Frankly, my big mom-issue with the show was Celeste Kane. I felt like they had a lot of fodder for a well rounded character, but just decided to make her a terrible person. Her husband had at least one affair with Lee Ann, she and her daughter had a tumultuous relationship, through Lily and Duncan, she had to come face to face with Veronica on a day-to-day, who she thought was the product of her husband's infidelity, and then she thinks that her son murdered her daughter. They could have really explored that, or at least hinted at it affecting her and giving her some kind of motive. I think the show spoiled me with how it'd always add just a touch of humanity to even the seemingly-worst characters, so I just kept waiting for one moment from Celeste that never came.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Questions/confusion/comment time!

Season 2, episodes 14-16

I'm confused on the tape that Keith got with Sheriff Lam on it that helped to push him to publicly clear the baseball player dad whose name I can't remember. It was from several episodes prior and I don't remember the significance of it. It's Lam interrogating the guy and he makes a comment about knowing someone down in lock up who placed bets for him? Something along those lines.

I really like the end to Duncan. I hope he doesn't come back, at least in the TV show. I think they put that story (that I didn't care much about to begin with) to bed nicely. I'm glad he got the baby away from her psycho grandparents and Duncan himself got away from his psycho parents. Now they are childless as they deserve to be. I wouldn't mind seeing Celeste get some more comeuppance though.

What's happening with the Kanes? Shouldn't the be on trial or going to jail for obstruction of justice instead of hanging out in their winter retreat?

In the Rapes of Graff episode, I know she clears Troy but did they ever say who actually did it? Do we just assume it's one of the rear end in a top hat frat boys? She thought it was the guy called Ice Man according to their board but the one frat boy made a comment about it actually being a teacher he supposedly slept with that earned him those points. I also think she went way to easy on Troy after what he did to her. It was kind of an odd choice to me that they brought him back. It could have been anyone in his role really.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure I'll have more later.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

KilGrey posted:

Questions/confusion/comment time!

In the Rapes of Graff episode, I know she clears Troy but did they ever say who actually did it? Do we just assume it's one of the rear end in a top hat frat boys? She thought it was the guy called Ice Man according to their board but the one frat boy made a comment about it actually being a teacher he supposedly slept with that earned him those points. I also think she went way to easy on Troy after what he did to her. It was kind of an odd choice to me that they brought him back. It could have been anyone in his role really.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure I'll have more later.

That's the first major arc of season 3. I think

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Speaking of Iceman... I was extremely confused when I thought it was that guy from the X-Men movies playing Troy, then looked him up and saw that he wasn't in this...

Dude's got a twin brother :o:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Yep and you find out who it is.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

About this (big spoiler FYI):

I really wish they had gotten Michael Cera to return as the RA for season 3, like they wanted. Would have been interesting to see him play something so different than his usual sort of role.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

^^^ I want to look at this sooooo bad. :xd:

But I'm managing to refrain.

DS at Night posted:

Speaking of Iceman... I was extremely confused when I thought it was that guy from the X-Men movies playing Troy, then looked him up and saw that he wasn't in this...

Dude's got a twin brother :o:

Yeah, I was watching Lost Girl, a campy supernatural show out of Canada, and he was in that. I was confused because it seemed to small a role for someone with decent movie credits to have. When I looked it up I found out he has a twin brother.

The X-Men brother seems to get the bigger movie roles and this brother the smaller TV guest spots. I can imagine that's weird. You look exactly alike and have similar acting ability but your brother is somehow more successful.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Just finished season 2!

Wow...it's not often that I can't figure out whodunnit, usually way before the end of the episode/season of a show but both last season and this one got me. When it was revealed it was Beaver my stomach kind of dropped because so much finally clicked into place and made sense. Like how he wigged out at the idea of getting physical with Mac. I feel bad for the kid given how this all stemmed from being molested. I was going to ask in my last post how Veronica managed to get the clap but that answered that too. What's more hosed up is that since then she's had sex with at least Duncan since then. Oh well, they have antibiotics in Australia. I can't remember if she had sex with Logan or not. If so, I hope Kendall has a raging case of it. That was the only issue I had with the end of the season, that gold digging bitch ended up with 8 million dollars.

Well, on to season 3. I almost don't want to watch it because I'm coming to the end. They do such an amazing job of setting up the mystery and bringing it all together. Other shows could learn a lot from this one. It really is a shame it was canceled.

Edit: Also, I found it interesting at the beginning of the last episode how she had a dream sequence of how it would be if Lily hadn't died and they'd all lived the lives they were "supposed too" had the murder never happened, that she put herself with Logan still and not Duncan.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 7, 2013

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

KilGrey posted:

Just finished season 2!

Edit: Also, I found it interesting at the beginning of the last episode how she had a dream sequence of how it would be if Lily hadn't died and they'd all lived the lives they were "supposed too" had the murder never happened, that she put herself with Logan still and not Duncan.

For that last bit:

It kinda makes sense, she and Duncan had split up because he thought she was his half sister, and without Lily dying Keith wouldn't have become a PI and Veronica wouldn't have got into that business, so she'd probably never find out about it. Lily has gone away to college so she and Logan split up and so Veronica and Logan ending up together is the most likely scenario.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
What I always found interesting is that no matter all that bad things that happened to Veronica to make her who she is, she kinda seems the better for it. Flashback Veronica just doesn't seem that interesting or even good..

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

End reveal of S2 got a little uh... moustache-twirly for me. It wasn't all that convincing. Anyone else got that idea too? The whole bomb thing is not at all something a kid like that could pull off on his own.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
About that they already touched on his expertise with explosives much earlier in the show. It is completely not harped on at all and you have to look for it, but there you are. It's just that type of awesome show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Boogaleeboo posted:

About that they already touched on his expertise with explosives much earlier in the show. It is completely not harped on at all and you have to look for it, but there you are. It's just that type of awesome show.

I mentioned it before In the episode in Logan's mom dies when Veronica is talking with the kids, they mention that the person in charge of the explosives for their war film is Beaver

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
So we're watching Episode 2 tonight at 8pm PST. Just a friendly reminder. :)

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

I mentioned it before In the episode in Logan's mom dies when Veronica is talking with the kids, they mention that the person in charge of the explosives for their war film is Beaver

No see I get that but it's still weird that he could rig a whole plane to blow and nobody saw him? And then it was like "oh I did that other thing that happened and everything else that's wrong in your life, I did that too, and now I'm gonna taser you". I felt like it was one step away from a muhahaha.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Last Week, on Veronica Mars

Pilot (S01E01)

Veronica Mars begins her junior year at Neptune High trying to re-adjust her life after her boyfriend, Duncan Kane, left her and after the mysterious unsolved murder of her best friend, Lily Kane, last year. While helping her, Private Investigator Keith Mars of Mars Investigations, on the case of the possibility of Jake Kane, father of Duncan Kane and Lily Kane, is having an affair with another woman, Veronica discovers more clues to the Lily Kane Murder Case and decides to aim herself in finding Lily Kane's killer and the truth of the incident that happened one year ago.

Tonight's episode is called Credit Where Credit's Due (S01E02)

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Nelly reference, so 2000. What the gently caress ever happened to Nelly?

The idea of having a flyers for a party is also pretty dated in the age of texts and facebook.

Man, that was almost 10 years ago.

edit: Sheriff Lamb might be a massive dick, but letting all the kids run away and pick up the kegger is the best thing to do in that situation

edit2: I really love the intro song, and it'll always be linked to Veronica Mars for me, the same way Califooooornia here we COOOOOOOOOOME will be associated with the O.C.

Also where the gently caress is everyone :smith:

Uh weren't we doing this at 8:00pm?

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 8, 2013

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!

It appears that you are watching this episode three hours earlier than the rest of us so you might want to be careful with the spoilers until everyone has watched.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

...! posted:

It appears that you are watching this episode three hours earlier than the rest of us so you might want to be careful with the spoilers until everyone has watched.

So it got moved from 8pm to 11pm? Gonna pause that then :(

edit: vvvv Oh. Guess I should have been more clear that I meant 8pm in 'The One True and Righteous Time Zone' when I first called it. Oh well, gonna go along with it since it happened last week. Probably makes more sense too, to get everyone on board, 5pm on Sunday is pretty early for people who live on the Wrongest Coast.

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 8, 2013

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!
8pm PT

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!
Hmm... I think everyone decided on using PDT ( not PST :argh: ) last week. That's when we all watched.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

...! posted:

Hmm... I think everyone decided on using PDT ( not PST :argh: ) last week. That's when we all watched.

Yeah I originally just said 'Sundays at 8pm' but forgot to specify East Coast, but I think in a way it's pretty good, since the East Coast will be either done with GoT or it will not have started yet. So in a way that was a good thing even though we have to rely on the time of the backward in time heathens.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!
Yeah, that's how we determined it needed to be that late. No one wants to miss Game of Thrones/The Walking Dead (last week)/Mad Men (this week).

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

...! posted:

Yeah, that's how we determined it needed to be that late. No one wants to miss Game of Thrones/The Walking Dead (last week)/Mad Men (this week).

That's good news, I was really depressed by the fact that there was no one in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Coming to the rewatch a week late, just watching the pilot now. Such a good, solid pilot.

My favorite line has to be "Tonight we eat like the lower-middle class we aspire to be!" Keith is the best.

Also I love Cliff.

• Locked thread