Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Well, this has been on my 'watch' list for a long time And kept getting bumped for other stuff. A 3.5 million kickstarter has finally convinced me. I'll watch the first episode tonight or tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Starting the pilot now!

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I'm 4 episodes in and completely hooked. It's so different than I thought it would be. Other posters were right in describing it as an adult show that happens to be set in high school part of the time. The first episode had everything in it.

I really, really loving hate sheriff Lamb. I can't see any redemption for him after what he did and said when Veronica went to him about being raped. Do they ever find out who did that? Don't tell me who, just yes or no.

bobkatt013 posted:

Duncan and Meg's kid story is done and their is no need for them to appear. It would just be a pain to explain why they are there.

Spoilers? :(

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Unless it has something to do with rectifying the part I spoilered, I can't see me wanting anything other than a slow death for him.

Also, if I ever get another dog I'm sooo going to name it Back-Up. Best.dog.ever!

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Okay, I'm but 7 or 8 episodes in now and I have questions.

So about the whole Troy thing, not sure the episode number but I think it was called 'You think you know someone...':
That made me sad because it was nice to see someone give Veronica a fair shake and not listen to what all his friends were saying about her. Knowing what his history is now though, I wonder if he maybe picked her assuming she could be a bad girl to his bad boy? Did his turn seem sudden to anyone else? He was such a nice, awesome guy then BAM manipulative, drug dealing/stealing, grand theft auto rear end in a top hat. I love that she figured it out last minute and I certainly was shocked, but it just seemed so out of left field. And she might not have even figured it out were it not for the fight she and her dad got into due to his new girlfriend and the background check Veronica just happened to do on her the same episode.

Question about Wanda and the election episode:
So when Veronica found out Wanda and turned in Weevils buddy for all the signs he stole she set Wanda up to think she was going to get them some ecstasy for an after election celebration to see if the cops would come check her locker thus proving Wanda was a narc? Did I get that right? So I guess where I got confused was when this all happened. Did Wanda get into trouble beforehand so the cops gave her the deal of becoming the high school snitch to keep the charges from being on her record? That all happened so fast I wasn't sure I caught it right. I'm also not sure why exactly Veronica would be mad at her for being a snitch because Veronica is a do-gooder who brings down criminal activity as well. Was it just the fact that Wanda could have told her not to buy the hypothetical drugs and instead let her go through with it just to turn her in?

How old is Duncan? He is the same age/year as Veronica or is he a year or two ahead? I'm guessing a year or two ahead. Oh god...they are going to make him her half brother, aren't they? I don't know, that seems weird and way too soap opera but I'm trying to figure out the significance of him lying to her about knowing their parents dated and why he broke up with her so suddenly. I thought he broke up with her after Lily died due to her dads investigation but the episode I just watched made me realize he broke up with her before that. And whatever the reason was it was enough to make Lily back track from her comment that they were soul mates from the day before. Okay, so that wasn't so much of a question as me thinking out loud because I have no one else to talk about the show with. :(

I'm doing my spoilers properly, right? Since you guys haven't started the mass re-watch everything should be spoilered right now, correct? loving CHRIST ASSHOLES START WATCHING AND CATCH UP SO I HAVE PEOPLE TO TALK TOOO!!!!!!

Seriously, if you plan on only doing one episode a week that ain't gonna happen. This poo poo is crack people. You'll watch the first and end up watching the next 4 or 5 right after.

[Person of Interest chat]Also, I still haven't 100% gotten used to Veronica's dad yet because the only place I know him from is Person of Interest and he is not a nice man on that show. :stare:

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 25, 2013

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Season 1 relationship stuff: After the first half of the season I didn't think they could do anything that would make me like Logan, but now that I'm 4 episodes away from the end of season 1 I'm so Team Logan now. :allears:

Also, the deputy sheriff she's dating whose name I can't remember, he seems odd to be on the police force. Kinda dweeby. The way he presents his personality he seems like he'd be the bumbling sort even though he's not. He also looks stoned as hell all the time.

...! posted:

I came into it from the opposite direction. Having watched all of Veronica Mars prior to Person of Interest starting, when I saw him on PoI, my first thought was, "No, Keith! Don't go to the dark side!" :negative:

I'm used to him now. Keith is one of the best characters on this show and I wish he were my dad.

Twee as gently caress posted:

You guys spoiler the PoI chat it's a major spoiler.

Sorry, I got excited. I was so worried about spoilering the VM stuff properly I didn't even thinking about the PoI stuff. :(

This show has taken up my whole weekend and I don't even care. It was rainy outside anyway.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 25, 2013

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Okay, I have another question.

Season 1 episode 21, A Trip To The Dentist:
There was a lot of flashback going on in this episode so maybe I missed it, but am I to understand Veronica got drugged from SPIT hocked into her drink by a girl who was on GHB and not from someone slipping her actual drugs in her drink? :raise:

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Dick already put the drugs into the drink trying to sex up Madison. Madison spit into it and gave it to Veronica

Okay, that makes far more sense. There was so much going on in the episode it was kind of like a shell game with the drugs. I lost track of them a bit.

Just finished the first season, loved it loved it loved it. Keith Mars is the best dad ever. He straight walked through fire to save his daughter. I never want to see her mother again though. This show is a great example of effective red herrings. A lot of shows will put them in (looking at you The Killing) but they make no sense. The writing on this show was tight and gave opportunity and motive to everyone that Veronica suspected. I hope things work out with Logan. I don't think there is a Hallmark card for "Sorry I accused you of murder and put your dad in jail for killing your girlfriend." I really want to know who was at the door at the end though. Do they ever answer that or are we left to speculate? I want it to be Logan but something tells me he's busy with Weevil. I hope it's not Duncan. That ship seems beyond sailed and well, he's pretty boring compared to Logan.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

My boyfriend finally gave in and agreed to watch the show but he wants me to stop and wait for him to catch up to where I am. I don't think I have the will power to stop binging though. :saddowns: you guys were right, it's really hard to describe this show and make it come across as awesome as it is. I think I ended up going with, "like Buffy, but with out vampires." That's rather confusing as well come to think of it. :/

Early season two relationship stuff:

Really sad Veronica broke up with Logan and is back with Duncan. :( He's not a bad character in his own right, he just seems so boring/bland to be with Veronica. She needs someone quick who will keep her on her toes like Logan. They just have better chemistry together. Honestly, I thought Meg and Duncan were perfect together also, really well matched. Was this the general consensus when the show aired as well? I dunno, maybe I just need to see more of them actually together and not just brief flashbacks.

Part of me thinks she's not even that into Duncan anymore and they are together more for the fact their first to around had such a hosed up ending they are giving a another go to try to find some closure and can say they honestly tried so there are no 'what ifs' later. They've both changed and gone through so much in the last year they are light years from the same two kids that first started dating.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 29, 2013

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Why was this show canceled anyway?

...was it because of idiots like me not paying attention to it the first time around due to stupid assumptions?

Did I kill Veronica Mars? :ohdear:

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I don't know how you guys are going to be able to limit yourselves to one episode a week. I have zero impulse control.

I'm also feeling an urge to go out and buy a bunch of spy gadgets and practice my witty quips.

Possible movie plot spoiler and minor season 2 spoiler: I find it odd that they are going to have the movie be 10 years later and Veronica given up on the Private Investigator thing for all that time. Same with her stopping over the summer at the beginning of season 2 to work at the coffee place. Investigating is just so...her. It's like, in her blood. She's incapable of not being overly curious, observant and nosy. She also tends to be a trouble magnet. Cases are often dropped on her and she initially may not want to work all of them but you can tell she really, really enjoys it. I can't really picture her as a lawyer as the movie plots I've read speculate either. She'd be good at defending people sure, but lawyers do law research with long hours in the library, not the investigation portions of a case. They hire people like Veronica and her dad for that sort of thing. I can see her going into investigative journalism, that would be more up her alley. The idea of her voluntarily giving it up is just weird to me.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 1, 2013

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

^^^I'm almost half way through season 2 right now so I don't want to mouse over your spoiler. If it's in response to me, are you basically saying that they'll eventually give her a reason for choosing a different path?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Azure_Horizon posted:

Oh yes. The story hook they're going with for the movie is given enough precedence by the series finale.

Okay good. I guess I shouldn't have expected anything less from the people that make this show, it's just odd to consider given the point I'm at. Thanks! :)

Edit: Also, I'd love to see a show with the public defender lawyer from this show and Saul Goodman from Breaking Bad. Best lawyer team ever!

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 1, 2013

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I'm on episode 10 of season 2 and there is a severe lack of Wallace. However that does have the added benefit of there being no appearance of his irritating girlfriend. My god is she a horrible actress.

Edit: Speak of the devil. He appeared in the end of the episode I was just watching when I posted the above. :)

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 4, 2013

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Questions/confusion/comment time!

Season 2, episodes 14-16

I'm confused on the tape that Keith got with Sheriff Lam on it that helped to push him to publicly clear the baseball player dad whose name I can't remember. It was from several episodes prior and I don't remember the significance of it. It's Lam interrogating the guy and he makes a comment about knowing someone down in lock up who placed bets for him? Something along those lines.

I really like the end to Duncan. I hope he doesn't come back, at least in the TV show. I think they put that story (that I didn't care much about to begin with) to bed nicely. I'm glad he got the baby away from her psycho grandparents and Duncan himself got away from his psycho parents. Now they are childless as they deserve to be. I wouldn't mind seeing Celeste get some more comeuppance though.

What's happening with the Kanes? Shouldn't the be on trial or going to jail for obstruction of justice instead of hanging out in their winter retreat?

In the Rapes of Graff episode, I know she clears Troy but did they ever say who actually did it? Do we just assume it's one of the rear end in a top hat frat boys? She thought it was the guy called Ice Man according to their board but the one frat boy made a comment about it actually being a teacher he supposedly slept with that earned him those points. I also think she went way to easy on Troy after what he did to her. It was kind of an odd choice to me that they brought him back. It could have been anyone in his role really.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure I'll have more later.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

^^^ I want to look at this sooooo bad. :xd:

But I'm managing to refrain.

DS at Night posted:

Speaking of Iceman... I was extremely confused when I thought it was that guy from the X-Men movies playing Troy, then looked him up and saw that he wasn't in this...

Dude's got a twin brother :o:

Yeah, I was watching Lost Girl, a campy supernatural show out of Canada, and he was in that. I was confused because it seemed to small a role for someone with decent movie credits to have. When I looked it up I found out he has a twin brother.

The X-Men brother seems to get the bigger movie roles and this brother the smaller TV guest spots. I can imagine that's weird. You look exactly alike and have similar acting ability but your brother is somehow more successful.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Just finished season 2!

Wow...it's not often that I can't figure out whodunnit, usually way before the end of the episode/season of a show but both last season and this one got me. When it was revealed it was Beaver my stomach kind of dropped because so much finally clicked into place and made sense. Like how he wigged out at the idea of getting physical with Mac. I feel bad for the kid given how this all stemmed from being molested. I was going to ask in my last post how Veronica managed to get the clap but that answered that too. What's more hosed up is that since then she's had sex with at least Duncan since then. Oh well, they have antibiotics in Australia. I can't remember if she had sex with Logan or not. If so, I hope Kendall has a raging case of it. That was the only issue I had with the end of the season, that gold digging bitch ended up with 8 million dollars.

Well, on to season 3. I almost don't want to watch it because I'm coming to the end. They do such an amazing job of setting up the mystery and bringing it all together. Other shows could learn a lot from this one. It really is a shame it was canceled.

Edit: Also, I found it interesting at the beginning of the last episode how she had a dream sequence of how it would be if Lily hadn't died and they'd all lived the lives they were "supposed too" had the murder never happened, that she put herself with Logan still and not Duncan.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 7, 2013

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Season 2 Meg's family and Sheriff Lamb stuff:

And even then it's pretty much inferred that Meg was abused as well, it's just that since she was smart she learned how to behave in order to avoid the brunt of it, while her siblings were not so lucky. Scenes like this one is also why I can't bring myself to hate Lamb, even though he acts like a dick

That's not nearly enough for me. Nothing will absolve him to me after Veronica goes to him to report that she'd been raped and he calls her a liar. He even makes a joke about it again in season 3. He's an unredemptive rear end in a top hat until he realizes he was wrong about that and apologizes at the very least.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Twee, quit being naughty!

Azure_Horizon posted:

Just finished the series finale. Still one of my favorite series finales of all time.

So they knew they were being canceled and were able to give it a non-rushed ending?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Okay, just finished. Here are my thoughts (obviously finale spoilerific):

I'm not sure how I feel about the finale. It was kind of bleh. Veronica should have known better than to gently caress with Jake Kane, especially when her father is now Sheriff, up for re-election and has so much to lose. It seemed really disingenuous for him to not even be miffed at her or force her to talk to him. I think it was pretty selfish of her to put his career on the line so she could get revenge. Yeah, the video was horrible but not compared to what he had to go/give up for her. I really liked the idea of this secret society and uncovering corruption and all this horrible poo poo but it something that could have really been explored over a season, half a season at least. It was just a bit weird to drag the Kanes back into it for such a small bit. It was also really odd and un-Veronica like to me for her to hear that one douche bag admitting to watching his father hack up bodies and just go, "yeah, I don't want to listen to the rest of it." I mean christ, now there is an investigation. Also, Piz and Veronica were a really weird paring to me. I mean, I know Rob Thomas had more story to tell but they had an idea that they were going to be canceled. It just really feels like the show went out with a whimper instead of the bang I'd expect from Veronica Mars.

Edit: Also, how are Jake and Celeste Kane not in jail for covering up their daughters murder, loving with a police investigation and bribing a witness?

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 26, 2013

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Argue posted:

End of season 1 spoiler: Well, the guy who actually committed the murder got off, so why wouldn't they? They did get arrested at the end of the first season.

Well, I'd expect them to be arrested because even though Aaron got off they were still proven to have impeded the investigation, tampered with evidence, plant evidence and bribed someone innocent to confess. That's all still illegal even though the person accused didn't get convicted.

Series Finale spoilers: This is because the word on cancellation came really really late in the season, and Rob Thomas was writing everything based on the idea that there would be a season 4. The show feels like it went out with a whimper rather than a bang because, well, it did. It was not supposed to finish that way, the same way the Deadwood 'finale' is just frustrating

I'd say this makes me really sad but I knew we have a movie coming and that makes me happy. If I were watching this when it first aired I'd be all sorts of irritated. There are so many questions I still have.

Edit: I just went back and re-watched the video they did for the Kickstarter project and it's much more enjoyable now. I like the idea that Enrico hasn't broken character since the show ended.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 26, 2013

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

This was the post I made a bit ago, now unspoilered since we are at that point in the rewatch. I'm curious of others thoughts now that you've seen the episode and can reply:

"So about the whole Troy thing, that made me sad because it was nice to see someone give Veronica a fair shake and not listen to what all his friends were saying about her. Knowing what his history is now though, I wonder if he maybe picked her assuming she could be a bad girl to his bad boy? Did his turn seem sudden to anyone else? He was such a nice, awesome guy then BAM manipulative, drug dealing/stealing, grand theft auto rear end in a top hat. I love that she figured it out last minute and I certainly was shocked, but it just seemed so out of left field. And she might not have even figured it out were it not for the fight she and her dad got into due to his new girlfriend and the background check Veronica just happened to do on her the same episode."

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

Her hair keeps switching location between the different cuts, and it's a giveaway for which ones were acted together. Once I saw that, I saw how terrible they were acting in the one cut with her hair behind her ear compared to the other one. The editing did the work, not their actual acting. Season 3 Episode 9, for reference. That said, I absolutely love their acting and this is the first time in 3 seasons I pick up on something like this.

Just because there is a continuity error doesn't mean they aren't together while filming it. They have to go through many takes to make those scenes and sometimes a small slip like hair behind the ear or not is made. Not that doing scenes separately and editing them together never happens but just because her hair switches around doesn't automatically mean they were acting alone with just a stand in.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

That was a thing of beauty. :stare:

Also enjoyed the confused look on my boyfriends face as be could hear the video but not see it.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Jesse Pinkman was in this show. How did I miss that? Who was he?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Doom Goon posted:

Wait a second, so Veronica Mars wasn't pissed at the Tritons for being yanked out of her car (and bound?) and stuffed in her trunk for what looked like most of the evening :raise: Boys'll be boys I guess!

Eh, that's like, a normal Saturday for Veronica. She's had worse. The trunk could be on fire.

(They left her phone on her so she wasn't in danger)

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

There is also a line in the episode that is important to the season 2 mystery.

Don't tell people. It's more awesome in retrospect and if you can remember it. I wish I hadn't been told this my first watch through because I spent the whole episode looking for it and trying to guess which line it was. :(

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I like those moment when Veronica is cruel. Not because I enjoy cruelty but because it shows she's human. We all have moment when we aren't polite and nice. Our emotions get the better of us. Veronica, while brilliant, was never infallible. Her colder, crueler moments highlight how many walls she's built around herself for protection. That's where those cold moments come from, not because she's a bad person but because she's been severely hurt in her past. That's what makes her real.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I have never seen this show before, now I must find it.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Dr Tran posted:

Going to an advance screening Wednesday

I hate you. :mad:

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

How did you luck out and get to see it? Was it one of the Kickstarter rewards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Dr Tran posted:

I'm on a lot of email lists for movie previews. I've mostly gotten offers for lovely horror flicks.

How does one get on these lists? :raise:

Are these lovely good horror flicks or lovely lovely horror flicks?

• Locked thread