Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Oh man, these cookies sure do look delicious, like red velvet or something.

Menstrual cookies

:gonk:

:stare:

ok I don't think this will be topped what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

This bugs me because 1) it's just a cutesy way of making a little casserole, and 2) That is a got-damned jar.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kaethela posted:

This lovely delicacy is Casu Marzu. It's cheese that's been infested with fly larvae. Fun fact, the maggots will actually jump out of it at you while you try to eat it.

Sup?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Twee as gently caress posted:

Food that feeds drunken snow trash. Someone up there one day drank about 40 beers, and decided that he wanted some cheese and gravy on his french fries, and dump lots of salt on it too :gonk:

Disgusting.

I'm quoting this on the other side of menstrual blood cookies.

Look at those cookies, then think "I thought that fried potato, cheese and gravy was disgusting".

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

VogeGandire posted:

I'm quoting this on the other side of menstrual blood cookies.

Look at those cookies, then think "I thought that fried potato, cheese and gravy was disgusting".

Poutine all day errrr'day

theironjef posted:

This bugs me because 1) it's just a cutesy way of making a little casserole, and 2) That is a got-damned jar.

Yeah that is clearly a jar, you'll have to excuse my brain going on :stonk: overdose.

And no it's not a cutesy way to make a little casserole, that's a loving pizza in a jar and that's gross

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

coronatae posted:

That's Italian. :colbert: (e. you fixed it! gently caress huitlacoche though)

For an actual disgusting Mexican food, huitlacoche:

A delightful fungus that destroys corn but which can be sold for much higher prices than the corn itself. Goes great in tacos, I guess.

I've actually had this! The nasty looking hairs are actually corn silk, so that's not part of it. If you think of is as basically a type of mushroom that grows inside the corn kernel, and tastes like one too, it's not that bad. Despite the dark color it tastes like somebody just took a mushroom, diced it up sauteed it and put in in a tortilla. It tastes a lot like your run of the mill mushroom, a little stronger than than a button mushroom but kinda sweet from the sugar in the corn.

edit: if you are tempted, you can get it canned at Mexican food stores in the United States, but I'd imagine it tastes as good as any other canned mushroom: not good at all.

kzin602 has a new favorite as of 00:16 on Mar 20, 2013

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

DarkHamsterlord posted:

quote:

I made menstrual blood cookies! I am not entirely happy with how they turned out, so I am going to experiment with some recipes throughout the rest of this month so I can try for something great next cycle. This recipe was far too floury.

Right. Because the biggest reason they were a failure was they were too floury. I got the proportions of tampon squeezings, sugar and eggs right, but really hosed up the flour.

"These are good, what are they?"
"Menstrual blood cookies"
"Oh, well they're pretty good. A bit floury, but good"

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

pageerror404 posted:

Wait is it supposed to be cooked? If so then it seems like blood sausage... which is surprisingly delicious.

This from like a million pages ago, but yes, it's delicious! I love it to hell. They fried it with hot peppers and serve it as tacos. Half the people I know dislike it because of the blood ingredient.

I have learned that a lot of foreign people dislike what for me is regular food. Eating the cow's eyeballs,brains and udders might seem bizarre for some, but so normal for others.

kzin602 posted:

I've actually had this! The nasty looking hairs are actually corn silk, so that's not part of it. It's basically a type of mushroom that grows inside the corn kernel, and tastes like one too. Despite the dark color it tastes like somebody just took a really good portabello, diced it up sauteed it and put in in a tortilla. It tastes a lot like your run of the mill mushroom but kinda sweet from the sugar in the corn.

It's a delicacy. I haven't been able to cook or have some because it's very expensive for me :/

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

davestones posted:

No one has posted the canned chicken yet?

Enjoy.

The animated version is better:

e.bonus

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
Ok, I was feeling kind of proud of myself that I felt I would try everything posted so far, but I think I'd have to draw the line at menstrual cookies.

And possibly chicken in a can.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

schwenz posted:

Ok, I was feeling kind of proud of myself that I felt I would try everything posted so far, but I think I'd have to draw the line at menstrual cookies.

And possibly chicken in a can.

Menstrual cookies are a one off thing by a crazy person.

Chicken in a can is something that has been around for long enough that I don't think they'd still be selling it if people didn't actually buy and eat it regularly enough for it to be profitable. I think that's worse, really.

The Anime Turnpike
Dec 30, 2010

One of Monterrey's delicacies, fritada which is basically kid goat in its own blood with a bit of cornstarch for texture.

Somebody has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Mar 20, 2013

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Twee as gently caress posted:

Potato Candy. (Mashed potatoes, a pound of sugar, and peanut butter.)

:negative:

This one isn't anything new, and is in fact an old Southern recipe. When you got sugar, potatoes and loving peanut butter, and nothing else, and you gotta get your daily calories in, it certainly works.

Unlike most of the crap here(cheeto chicken :gonk:), this is actually legit delicious, and the peanut butter stops you from getting crazy sugar rush. I remember it well as a really special treat growing up. We'd make it together, and I'd get to color it whatever color I wanted with food coloring (being an only child is the beeeessst).

Sorry to quote from the first page, but I had to get that out there.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Backup Snacks posted:

Content: I kinda like it but I'm sure someone will be grossed out by it. Chopped up hot dogs, hashbrowns, scrambled eggs, and shredded cheese. That's that food stamp grub. It looks a lot better than this picture but still..

Replace the hot dog with actual sausage and that's a pretty serviceable breakfast.

Holy poo poo period blood cookies :stare:

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
I put ketchup on my spaghetti and the sauce on the side usually. When I was a kid I used to put ketchup on bowls and lick it up. When I'm alone, I sometimes still eat ketchup plain out of the bottle (I don't chug it or anything). Don't know if you guys would consider that disgusting.

Sex Beef 2.0 has a new favorite as of 01:10 on Mar 20, 2013

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Thwack! posted:

Have you ever had a friend that loved putting ketchup in everything?

On spaghetti...

My girlfriend puts it on her macaroni cheese, it's disgusting.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

Don't know if you guys would consider that disgusting.

YUP.

Don't get me wrong, I love ketchup... but... right out of the bottle?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The onion A.V. club ate the cheeseburger in a can once and reviewed it. It's pretty horrifying.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/taste-test-cheeseburger-in-a-can,2183/

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Last week, I got to try this.

It is a Swedish dish called 'Flying Jacob'.
The one served to me included chicken, bacon, peanuts, banana, cream, tomato sauce and chilli.

And, gently caress me, it was delicious.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

This is a "Sushiritto"

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Crow Jane posted:

Nothing that comes close to period cookies, but this thread reminds me of James Lileks' Gallery of Regrettable Food. It's more making fun of mid-century cookbooks than the food within, but it nevertheless manages to be revolting and hilarious at the same time.

An example of the delicacies on the site:

That site is weirdly fun to look through on dull days, my particular favorite to laugh at is the 7-Up cookbook. Then there's these:

How did people in the 50's live off this poo poo comfortably? :barf:

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Palmersaurus posted:

The animated version is better:

e.bonus

The dripping juice is the worst part. It's not even completely liquid. It's like snot. It's dripping, seeping, oozing slop with a dead chicken floating in it.

I held out for a glimmer of hope that this was just an SNL skit, but I Googled it and almost lost my dinner.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp

Dacap posted:

This is a "Sushiritto"

This looks absolutely delicious.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Dacap posted:

This is a "Sushiritto"

I like where this is going.
Sushi in American sized portions.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

onoflalks posted:

I have a friend who does it too. Whenever she makes spaghetti bolognese, she dumps a load of the stuff in to supplement the tomato paste, which is fair enough, but then she dumps a load of the stuff on top while eating it.

And she refuses to put mushrooms in it, which is just unforgivable :colbert:

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

onoflalks posted:

My own mother does it, and she puts pepper on top of it as well. :gonk:

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Mmm hey, that looks pretty good. What is that, beef?

Nope. It's placenta. Picture from yourgreenbaby.com

Eating the placenta after your child is born is a "thing" now I guess.

Husband makes a family meal of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ceBxQSRLrg

If you're too squeamish, don't worry, there are companies that will dry it out, grind it up, and send you back placenta capsules that you can swallow.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

amishbuttermaster posted:

I nearly forgot about the abomination that's enjoyed all over the Midwest and Great Plains states: Tater Tot Casserole. I suppose this falls into the "hotdish" category of which every variation seems to be pretty gross.

Haha my mom used to make this. It's just tatertots, vegetable soup, and ground beef. poo poo is good.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Dacap posted:

This is a "Sushiritto"

Isn't that just a regular sushi roll, but not cut up?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Last week, I got to try this.

It is a Swedish dish called 'Flying Jacob'.
The one served to me included chicken, bacon, peanuts, banana, cream, tomato sauce and chilli.

And, gently caress me, it was delicious.

And this is how it's prepared. Swedish style...:getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvW2xeSn4As

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wish I had a picture of my mom and I's Dorito Chicken Casserole. It's super good if you've got enough white trash in you but it looks like vomit when you're making it... and eating it.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

Isn't that just a regular sushi roll, but not cut up?

Sushi rolls are nowhere near that big, even before they get cut up. If you're thinking of the cone shaped hand rolls, those are still smaller than that monster.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Natto man.

Natto.

Take soy and let it get fermented by a bacillus species. It tastes unimaginably vile and has a snot-like coating which just perfects the texture. It also coats your mouth. It is the worst thing I have ever tasted and I've tasted a lot of awful things.

However, it is a great way to get B12 if you are a vegan. So there is that.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Let me take y'all down south for a minute.

First up we have Chitlins(not chitterlings) or cut up big intestines.

If you've never smelled someone cooking a batch of chitlins consider yourself lucky. No matter how good you clean them, the aroma of feces still manages to linger in the air.

Next up is pig's feet.

Growing up in the boondocks of the south, you could get these pickled at some gas stations. Little me couldn't get over the smell and the look of it to ever eat one though.

For strange topping, I have a friend who drenches his steaks in A1 sauce. Like just empties half the bottle on a steak, to the point you have to wonder why he ordered one in the first place.

AcidCouch
Aug 2, 2012

DarkHamsterlord posted:

The taste of copper pennies makes my mouth water.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Fatback sandwiches.

Cured fat from the back of a hog. Pan or deep fried on white bread with raw onion.

So good.

Gaunab posted:

Let me take y'all down south for a minute.

First up we have Chitlins(not chitterlings) or cut up big intestines.

If you've never smelled someone cooking a batch of chitlins consider yourself lucky. No matter how good you clean them, the aroma of feces still manages to linger in the air.

Next up is pig's feet.

Growing up in the boondocks of the south, you could get these pickled at some gas stations. Little me couldn't get over the smell and the look of it to ever eat one though.

gently caress pigs feet, gently caress chitlins, and while we're at it gently caress hogmaws. Also, those chitlins should be bright red from being drown in a pint of hotsauce.

Lonely Virgil has a new favorite as of 07:35 on Mar 20, 2013

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

Nothing that comes close to period cookies, but this thread reminds me of James Lileks' Gallery of Regrettable Food. It's more making fun of mid-century cookbooks than the food within, but it nevertheless manages to be revolting and hilarious at the same time.

An example of the delicacies on the site:

Aspic is fairly common in my country, I'm not a huge fan but it's not like it's menstrual cookies.

Behold the beef tartar:

A piece of raw meat served a raw egg.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
I used to work at a local chicken wing restaurant. Since we were already in the business of selling people deep-fried chicken bits in butter sauce (with huge amounts of ranch and bleu cheese, naturally), we also sold deep-fried twinkies. Doesn't sound too bad if you're trying to be a decadent goon, but here's the sad reality: it is nearly impossible to get a complete seal of batter around the twinkie, which means there are exposed portions of sponge cake just soaking up used fryer oil. loving disgusting in practice.

I will gladly admit that deep-fried mint Oreos are incredible, though.

also

NONONO

edit:
My mom's whole side of the family is first- and second-generation Swedish, so I've had my fair share of relatively-authentic Swedish cuisine in my time. Most of it is awesome, if somewhat bland (potatis korv is a personal favorite). Family tradition states that once you hit 12, you have to eat lutefisk during the family's Christmas Eve dinner, and it's as nasty as it seems like it would be. The thing that I absolutely cannot stand, though, is oyster soup. It's basically just oysters, scalded milk, and paprika. That's it. Basically tastes like milk and oysters. Ugh.

Radio Help has a new favorite as of 09:21 on Mar 20, 2013

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
There's a surprising lack of Chinese food in here!

Duck Necks!

Chicken feet!

Pig's blood!

Fermented tofu! (this one smells much much worse than it looks)

Silkworm pupae!

Cow's scalp, heart, tongue, tripe, and if you were lucky, actual beef!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
Cooking with offal is sort of unremarkable in Asian cuisines. I mean, poo poo, I would eat everything you just posted except the fermented tofu.

cuz that shits gross

• Locked thread