Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Citizen Z posted:

This seems like it could be interesting. I mean, it might also be nasty as hell, but could be interesting.

One of my favorites from my childhood in the south:Strickalean

(This image has more lean in the strickalean than I'm used to seeing)

Strickalean(Streak-of-lean for you yankees) is pork belly, just like bacon. Unlike bacon, which is the meat with a bit of fat attached, Strickalean is fat with a bit of meat attached and ssalted. I've had it prepared two ways, one is cut into smaller pieces and fried so that it curls up and gets crispy(sort of like cracklin's, I guess). The other is where you take a big piece of it, batter it, then deep fry it.

That's right. In the south, we eat deep fried pig fat. Enough so that we've given it a colloquial, charming name. It's awful for you, kind of disgusting...and I love it.

What's really upsetting is your "Streak-of-Lean" looks like it has a higher meat to fat ratio than a lot of cheap bacon I see for sale :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

schwenz posted:

Ok, I was feeling kind of proud of myself that I felt I would try everything posted so far, but I think I'd have to draw the line at menstrual cookies.

And possibly chicken in a can.

Menstrual cookies are a one off thing by a crazy person.

Chicken in a can is something that has been around for long enough that I don't think they'd still be selling it if people didn't actually buy and eat it regularly enough for it to be profitable. I think that's worse, really.

• Locked thread