Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

nine-gear crow posted:

That gets me too. I like Matt Buck when he's out of character, but as Film Brain, the way he talks makes everything he says seem so pedantic.

Pedantic? An Internet reviewer? Well I never!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
New Half in the Baaaaag for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Edit: Man it's just strange to me to actually live in exactly the same area the RLM guys do. There's a shot from the end of their latest review where they show Plinkett's new house and I know exactly where they filmed it.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 18, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Wolf posted:

That'll teach me to be smug. You know, when you see actors in these roles, I'm always reminded of two quotes (that may or may not have been said). First, by Laurence Olivier when he was asked why he had appeared in a horrible film "Money, dear boy!" And Michael Caine, on Jaws 4 : “I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.”

I like the story about how Michael Ironside knew Highlander II was going to be terrible as soon as he saw the script, but he agreed to play General Katana because he'd never played a barbarian swordsman before and thought it'd be fun to get paid to do it.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I'm not crazy about Film Brain either, but I can at least respect that he's willing to make a joke of the fact that loads of people find him annoying (the Cinema Snob crossover being at least one I can name; I remember that more often than not when he'd do cameos, he'd do them as an over-the-top spoof of himself).

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I guess I need to watch Apes a Poppin' 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Mutation posted:

I guess I need to watch Apes a Poppin' 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Same here, Kopa-Kabana sounds like a great character.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DStecks posted:

I'm not crazy about Film Brain either, but I can at least respect that he's willing to make a joke of the fact that loads of people find him annoying (the Cinema Snob crossover being at least one I can name; I remember that more often than not when he'd do cameos, he'd do them as an over-the-top spoof of himself).

Same thing happened with his bit during Spoony's mega-review of the Tekken movies. He guested for the live action Tekken movie review and everyone went nuts in the comments afterwards. Then he shows up for a second during the Tekken CG movies review and they play up the absolutely horrific response his part in the previous review got before he's "chased off" the review by Sponny's shitass fans.

And I will admit, I do find that level of self-aware audience trolling somewhat admirable. Doug does it a lot too with the NC in regard to a lot of the flack the character gets from time to time.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Tracula posted:

New Half in the Baaaaag for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Edit: Man it's just strange to me to actually live in exactly the same area the RLM guys do. There's a shot from the end of their latest review where they show Plinkett's new house and I know exactly where they filmed it.

I get the same way when Doug Walker films stuff around town. Like the Blues Brothers 2000 review where he showed Hollywood Boulevard, a movie theater I've been to many times.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Same thing happened with his bit during Spoony's mega-review of the Tekken movies. He guested for the live action Tekken movie review and everyone went nuts in the comments afterwards. Then he shows up for a second during the Tekken CG movies review and they play up the absolutely horrific response his part in the previous review got before he's "chased off" the review by Sponny's shitass fans.

Film Brain was actually pretty great in that review; I especially appreciated the way they ultimately didn't agree at the end as to whether they liked it, which I can't name one single other example of in a review crossover.

I'd also say that FB is more tolerable in his solo stuff, if only because you just get used to it after a while. A crossover doesn't allow you to get acclimatized to his mannerisms.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DStecks posted:

Film Brain was actually pretty great in that review; I especially appreciated the way they ultimately didn't agree at the end as to whether they liked it, which I can't name one single other example of in a review crossover.

Doug and Joe's review of Man of Steel crossover did something like that. It was more of a debate between the two over why Joe loved it and Doug hated it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

nine-gear crow posted:

And I will admit, I do find that level of self-aware audience trolling somewhat admirable. Doug does it a lot too with the NC in regard to a lot of the flack the character gets from time to time.
Uh.

I'd find it more admirable if he changed the shtick to be less annoying? I mean, that's an option that's always open to him.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 19, 2014

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Gyges posted:

I find his prolonged eye rolling more annoying, personally. His projector reviews he does a whole lot less syllable drawing out and eye rolling, which makes them much more enjoyable to watch/listen to.

I think that might be his issue; he tries to be really animated, and it doesn't really suit him well. If you go back and watch the older videos he did, he seems a lot more reserved, and as a result, manages to speak a lot clearer. Regardless of how he sounds or acts, though, I still think his stuff is pretty good.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Hey look, I'm gonna step in something I shouldn't.

Tracula posted:

A lot of what spoon does is dumb and flamebaity. It's why he recently had the video telling people they just don't get Sharknado and that riffing it was really dumb.

No, they got Sharknado. It's a movie that's 90% washed out shots of people sitting inside an SUV inside a car wash, 9% I have no idea what, and 1% "oh my god that guy just chainsawed his way out of a shark and that was awesome".

It's just more typical lazy Asylum bullshit. All of their movies are like this - they're either mockbusters making money off the Redbox/Netflix circuit, or they're really awful films trying to cash in on being "good-bad movies". But they're all just bad because they honestly tend to just be boring padding and watching washed up actors drone out their lines in what had to be one take before they grabbed their checks and ran out the door.

I'll put it this way - I love Birdemic. It's a genuinely unintentional comedy made by a man with the delusion that he is a film maker and dammit, he's really trying. The whole movie just oozes this gosh-darn "Lookit me, maw! I made me a motion-pickture!"

Sharknado...really just needed to have a silly enough name to get sold on Syfy because after that it already made back its budget.

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah, but I actually like the flamebaity bits of the Final Fantasy ones because they clearly come from the perspective of someone who grew up with them and knows how stupid the fans of it can be.

Welllllll....

Spoony and I are the same age and even back when FF7 came out, I knew far more Spoonys in that fanbase than white knights. Essentially, most of the franchise's fanbase has never been comprised of people who can't take criticism of their favorite game and need to be trolled/knocked down a peg. It's always been a bunch of manchildren screaming about "new game is not old game" and trying to outdo each other in how much they hate the franchise they're dumping all their time and money into. Seriously, even before FFXIII came out, you'd honestly find more people trying to out-hate the game they'd played through 7 times just to elaborate more on how awful it was than people who actually played it even once for fun.

It's a hosed up fandom, but not for the reason you'd think it'd be.

Full disclaimer: Couldn't get through more than a minute of Spoony's FFVIII reviews. I love that game, it's my second favorite after FF6, but even when the drat thing came out I knew it was comedy gold ("PAST TEEEEEEENSE!"). Just can't get past all the :spergin: . When you actually know people like that in real life, you generally don't want to subject yourself to them willingly. And honestly, the older I get, the less patience I have for them.

To be fair to him, I've tried more than JUST those reviews. 9 times out of 10 I can find that even if I 100% agree with his observations, I still want to slap that smug grin off his face and demand he get a life. Seriously, go watch his Mazes and Monsters review. Easy, easy fodder for anyone with the level of experience and output he had by that point, even if you never spend a single second talking about what actual tabletop gaming is like vs. the movie's version of it. Mostly ruined because it's so obvious he can't just take the movie as the hilarious moral panic joke that it was and personally blames it for him getting picked on in school.

That said, I tend to like the guy when he's doing collaborations for the most part - I think it's because he's forced to reign in the :spergin: and actually be entertaining. And to get more onto this topic again, since I've had a much easier time ignoring him for the last few years, I was actually happy to see he came back to do this review.

EDIT:

Missed one.

mind the walrus posted:

I was more referring to the fact that I just don't really "get" what makes JPRGs so endearing in the first place. Like I don't think they'e bad, but growing up they were synonymous with "video games as art" and I never really saw it.

Obviously someone never played Earthbound :colbert:

Rebochan fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 19, 2014

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Lot of embarassing posts itt

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I would definitely have a sexytimes with SpooneyOne, Lord Cat & the Amezing Athiest, preferably at the same time.

These i would not sex:

Egorapter
OPewwdeypi
Angyr Jose
Pat from Two Best Friends Play, the premier YouTube videogame footage show

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

Didn't Doug approach Spoony about moving and working on Demo Reel or am I making that up? Imagine the weird alternate universe where that happened.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Skunny Wundy posted:

Didn't Doug approach Spoony about moving and working on Demo Reel or am I making that up? Imagine the weird alternate universe where that happened.

I heard the same thing, but I couldn't source it.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

quakster posted:

I would definitely have a sexytimes with SpooneyOne, Lord Cat & the Amezing Athiest, preferably at the same time.

These i would not sex:

Egorapter
OPewwdeypi
Angyr Jose
Pat from Two Best Friends Play, the premier YouTube videogame footage show

Really? Spoony's pale as a sheet and super skinny.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rebochan posted:

Welllllll....

Spoony and I are the same age and even back when FF7 came out, I knew far more Spoonys in that fanbase than white knights. Essentially, most of the franchise's fanbase has never been comprised of people who can't take criticism of their favorite game and need to be trolled/knocked down a peg. It's always been a bunch of manchildren screaming about "new game is not old game" and trying to outdo each other in how much they hate the franchise they're dumping all their time and money into. Seriously, even before FFXIII came out, you'd honestly find more people trying to out-hate the game they'd played through 7 times just to elaborate more on how awful it was than people who actually played it even once for fun.

It's a hosed up fandom, but not for the reason you'd think it'd be.

Full disclaimer: Couldn't get through more than a minute of Spoony's FFVIII reviews. I love that game, it's my second favorite after FF6, but even when the drat thing came out I knew it was comedy gold ("PAST TEEEEEEENSE!"). Just can't get past all the :spergin: . When you actually know people like that in real life, you generally don't want to subject yourself to them willingly. And honestly, the older I get, the less patience I have for them.

To be fair to him, I've tried more than JUST those reviews. 9 times out of 10 I can find that even if I 100% agree with his observations, I still want to slap that smug grin off his face and demand he get a life. Seriously, go watch his Mazes and Monsters review. Easy, easy fodder for anyone with the level of experience and output he had by that point, even if you never spend a single second talking about what actual tabletop gaming is like vs. the movie's version of it. Mostly ruined because it's so obvious he can't just take the movie as the hilarious moral panic joke that it was and personally blames it for him getting picked on in school.

That said, I tend to like the guy when he's doing collaborations for the most part - I think it's because he's forced to reign in the :spergin: and actually be entertaining. And to get more onto this topic again, since I've had a much easier time ignoring him for the last few years, I was actually happy to see he came back to do this review.

That's a fair perspective and generally I concede to your criticisms.

quote:

EDIT:

Missed one.

Obviously someone never played Earthbound :colbert:

Earthbound is so the exception to the rule it's not even funny. I also have soft spots for elements of Chrono Trigger/Cross and FFIX, but even then I don't get the consistent need to rank them so highly as some of the best video games of all time.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
What is with the sudden Mathew Buck bashing?....

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

cubs2084 posted:

It's our duty as nerds to be harsh on nerds. Nerd.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

cubs2084 posted:

His on-screen persona is pretty grating.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

cubs2084 posted:

Is it really bashing for people to say that they don't like a few mannerisms?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Compared to the criticism that a lot of people get I'd say people are downright nice about Matthew Buck.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

mind the walrus posted:

Earthbound is so the exception to the rule it's not even funny.

Earthbound is the JRPG I recommend to people who hate JRPGs.

I love the genre, but like anything, it's an acquired taste especially the deeper you go into them. I love the MegaTen franchise, for example, but I also get that the gameplay alone is not going to appeal to most gamers.

As far as Chrono Trigger goes though, I haven't played a lot of games in general that manage to use time travel as both a plot and a mechanic that well. I also really liked how well it'd set up its encounters - every fight was unique. A technique I've always been bummed never caught on in turn based games in general. It's definitely in a perpetual duel with Earthbound for my personal favorite game of all time.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

EarthBound was done by someone who was not a Genre Writer and to this day his games are in Japan one of the least BIG things he ever did.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I've got a new review, discussing a girls-with-guns movie from the 80s, Mankillers.

Not much analysis here, but there isn't much to analyze, so sit back and enjoy the jokes.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Kunster posted:

EarthBound was done by someone who was not a Genre Writer and to this day his games are in Japan one of the least BIG things he ever did.

Just reading about how he put those games together, he has a strong eye for narrative design. Not a lot of people in the game industry that get that period, even if they started out as a professional writer. drat shame he only did three games, but then again, I can't imagine he has anything left to say in gaming after Mother 3.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Four!

I strongly dislike when people try to portray him as this forgotten game developer when he's more glad doing his own online magazine and books.

I'm still surprised there's little to no fan translation of his writing, given just how much the Mother series tends to be brought up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Really? Spoony's pale as a sheet and super skinny.

He may also be an offshoot reincarnation of Samson because that is the only reason I can think of as to why he will not get a loving haircut, the mullet is like steel wool upon my tender soul

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

He may also be an offshoot reincarnation of Samson because that is the only reason I can think of as to why he will not get a loving haircut, the mullet is like steel wool upon my tender soul

He said in his commentary for To Boldly Flee or something else released fairly close to the time of Spoonygate that he'd grown his hair long for a part he was offered in something else that kidna of went into limbo on him or whatnot. He quoted an old actors' adage that "you don't cut your hair until the directly tells you to."

That was his explanation for his really long hair at least.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Oxxidation posted:

Oh god, the mullet hurts my eyes. Yeah, it's not just standard long hair, it's shorter at the front. Unless he's changed it - haven't watched the Bloodrayne vid yet.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Kunster posted:

Four!

I strongly dislike when people try to portray him as this forgotten game developer when he's more glad doing his own online magazine and books.

I am the fail for forgetting that. I didn't mean to say he's a forgotten game developer, just more making a general lament from the gaming side of things that he's a great game developer who's already accomplished everything he set out to do.

quote:

I'm still surprised there's little to no fan translation of his writing, given just how much the Mother series tends to be brought up.

Eh, it's not geeky genre stuff, so the usual suspects aren't interested.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Right. Didn't mean to imply you did so, but I did hear my lion's share of game folk doing that.

Also are you kidding me? That fishing game was a late SNES title. It's not exactly a well known game.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
INFORRRMUR
YOUKNOWSAYLFDJGWONOWVVNIGONBLAME
A LICKY BOOM BOOM DOWNNNN
http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/one-hit-wonderland-informer-by-snow-6998443

Here's a song I've been pretty stoked to see Todd review. :woop:

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 22, 2014

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

I had no idea what this was gonna be a review of until I clicked the video. Then the piano kicked in and I recognized it instantly. This is gonna be good. :allears:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Is Todd just forgetting to cut the live-action video when he shows the music video clips, or is that deliberate? Because it looks like a goof.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Celery Face posted:

INFORRRMUR
YOUKNOWSAYLFDJGWONOWVVNIGONBLAME
A LICKY BOOM BOOM DOWNNNN
http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/one-hit-wonderland-informer-by-snow-6998443

Here's a song I've been pretty stoked to see Todd review. :woop:

It kinda makes you wonder what things would've been like for Snow had it not been for Vanilla Ice*. Probably not too much different, but at least he had the cred and wow, a longer music career than Ice. Huh. It is hard to get around that affected accent, though.

Todd did remind me of that brief window of reggae hip hop that disappeared almost as quickly as it appeared. Man, the 90's were such an exciting time for music.

*I recently saw a 90's retrospective by National Geographic and one of the topics they covered was the rise and fall of Vanilla Ice. He's managed to twist the infamous Suge Knight balcony story (in which he was threatened into signing over the rights to Ice Ice Baby) into -- in his words:

"Suge Knight took that money and started Death Row records, and basically I contributed to some of the greatest hip hop music in the history of the world."

Delusion is a powerful thing.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Isn't Ice in a pretty decent metal band these days? I seem to recall he'd gone into metal after being ousted from hip hop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Metal band? Yes. Decent? Debatable.

• Locked thread