Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

Is anyone else having an issue with Blip when trying to watch a video? The player is permanently stuck in video loading mode at the bottom so I can't go forward or backward in the player. This is true in all browsers.

Yeah it's doing the same thing here. Haven't found a fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Looks like its ad-server based, from experimenting with Adblock.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Akett posted:

I hope the fun facts stuff becomes a staple, the final one was loving perfect.

They've had it around for a while now, but they rarely use it for some reason. I think there were more in this video than they've had for the entire rest of the year.

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty
I think it depends if if it's Mike or Jay that's the editor of the episode.

Mike tends towards the more goofy stuff like that (and zoom ins and freezes and whatever) than Jay does.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Matthewmatosis put up a new video the other day comparing the New and Old Abe Oddysee. As usual it's a good video and makes his case really well. Though it can be pretty nitpicky at times I felt overall it does make a solid case for the old game and its art direction and how they dropped the ball with the new one.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Jimbot posted:

Nevermind that poo poo, this is more important!!!

I have no idea who that is or what a Samurai Cop is

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

cubs2084 posted:

I have no idea who that is or what a Samurai Cop is

Have you in the actual world alive not seen Samurai Cop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6gk04xzN3U

I almost envy your journey of discovery

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

DoombatINC posted:

I was so afraid you wouldn't link to the right scene.

You linked to the right scene.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

DoombatINC posted:

That was the most awkward thing I've ever seen...

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

cubs2084 posted:

That was the most awkward thing I've ever seen...

That's only because you haven't seen the other 94 minutes of Samurai Cop yet

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

DoombatINC posted:

That's only because you haven't seen the other 94 minutes of Samurai Cop yet

one of the best nights of my life was getting drunk with friends and watching samurai cop on loop three times in a row

In other news, it looks like Kimble Justice is packing things up for the time being, which is rather unfortunate. I always liked their coverage of semi-obscure retrogaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QerSzbMjRUQ

The comments are surprisingly supportive considering the fact that it's youtube and the subject matter that's covered in the video.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

pretty soft girl posted:

one of the best nights of my life was getting drunk with friends and watching samurai cop on loop three times in a row

In other news, it looks like Kimble Justice is packing things up for the time being, which is rather unfortunate. I always liked their coverage of semi-obscure retrogaming.

The comments are surprisingly supportive considering the fact that it's youtube and the subject matter that's covered in the video.

Yeah, I saw this. I didn't watch A LOT of her stuff but I liked what I did see. I never knew there was a squeal to Eternal Champions.

Kim, if you read this, just know we are here for you if you need it. :(

Is there anywhere on the forums here where I can talk about this kind of stuff. Not about Zoe Quinn and such but just bigger problems I see in this. Jon Stewart put it best. "You're tired of hearing about it? Imagine how exhausted people who have to live it are."

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 30, 2014

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I honestly can't say anything about how kim feel, and for that i am sorry, but i do hope kim can at least find some happiness with games agian and maybe just giving the internet a middle finger can help and play games for yourself and not as a job. maybe get together with some good friends and play a fun multiplayer game you all enjoy.

it really feels gamers seem more full of venom then 10 years ago, i yearn for the days when the biggest drama in gaming was Cel-shaded Zelda.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cyron posted:

it really feels gamers seem more full of venom then 10 years ago, i yearn for the days when the biggest drama in gaming was Cel-shaded Zelda.

I blame the 360 having a pack in mic, so anyone can have a voice on the internet. Turns out a lot of people have really lovely opinions, and the lack of enforcement, in fact the developing encouragement, for being as bigoted and crass as possible led to a lot of venom in online games. I remember way back when I first got my PC mic, and was shocked at how much more friendly and polite people were while chatting on PC because my only previous experience was on 360, which basically started with the worst gaming community ever and only got worse and worse over time as more and more people joined with their friends to "one-up" each other. There are literally gamers who grew up listening to that filth on a daily basis, which is just sad.

Nowadays even PC pub games aren't safe, play with friends or expect to find that one guy everywhere you go, occasionally you'll even get an entire team full of them.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

pretty soft girl posted:

I'm saddened but not shocked. Kim's stuff comes from older and more through approaches to game stuff, and if folk remember Zeroes OverClocked or Castle Excellent, that sort of material was what they went for. Looking at their twitter and on the mutual follows, I spot Danny Cowan and Tepid Snake, folk that have a long form and where you can tell they sort of share a similar mo. Add this to what is already a shoddy treatment of Gender and Sexual Minorities, and you get yourself a situation that is rather surprising that Kim stook with such a rhythm for this long!

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
The most important interview of the year is here:

http://redlettermedia.com/a-conversation-with-samurai-cop-star-matt-hannon-part-1-of-2/

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kunster posted:

I'm saddened but not shocked. Kim's stuff comes from older and more through approaches to game stuff, and if folk remember Zeroes OverClocked or Castle Excellent, that sort of material was what they went for. Looking at their twitter and on the mutual follows, I spot Danny Cowan and Tepid Snake, folk that have a long form and where you can tell they sort of share a similar mo. Add this to what is already a shoddy treatment of Gender and Sexual Minorities, and you get yourself a situation that is rather surprising that Kim stook with such a rhythm for this long!

Yeah, I don't really know how to feel about the whole Zoe Quinn thing. On one hand feminism shouldn't be used as an excuse to be a complete shitheel, but I feel that people are being more vocal about hating feminism/social justice poo poo because of a few morons on tumblr. :sigh:

Maybe I should follow Kim's example and leave the Internet for a while.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That was a really good interview. I'm really looking forward to part 2.

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????

Violet_Sky posted:

Yeah, I don't really know how to feel about the whole Zoe Quinn thing. On one hand feminism shouldn't be used as an excuse to be a complete shitheel, but I feel that people are being more vocal about hating feminism/social justice poo poo because of a few morons on tumblr. :sigh:

Maybe I should follow Kim's example and leave the Internet for a while.
Someone had to go into hiding because of threats on their life because of a crazy ex's attempts to 'get back' at his girlfriend. The situation is really no more complicated than that. Who the gently caress cares what nobodies on twitter :airquote: debate :airquote:

Stink Fuck Rob fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 1, 2014

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

pretty soft girl posted:

Kimble is one of my favorite reviewers so this really sucks. I really hope this is temporary and she comes back soon.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Todd is on part four of Cinemadonna with Who's That Girl.

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/cinemadonna-who-s-that-girl-7022057

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

That amazing. Matt Hannon's a really cool guy.

I'd love for them to rerecord their commentary track for the film with Hannon himself now. It would be hilarious.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Testekill posted:

Todd is on part four of Cinemadonna with Who's That Girl.

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/cinemadonna-who-s-that-girl-7022057
Madonna's voice in this just makes me want to strangle something. God, I couldn't imagine sitting through that for an hour and a half.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Gyges posted:

Is anyone else having an issue with Blip when trying to watch a video? The player is permanently stuck in video loading mode at the bottom so I can't go forward or backward in the player. This is true in all browsers.

This is still happening when I try to watch videos, and it's annoying as hell. When a video is 40 min. long or more, I want to be able to pause it. :arghfist::(

The only solution I know of is to just download the video with Download Helper after the ad plays and then watch it in VLC media player.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Celery Face posted:

Madonna's voice in this just makes me want to strangle something. God, I couldn't imagine sitting through that for an hour and a half.

Now keep in mind that most of these people will watch the movie multiple times.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Gotta say I'm really loving Todd's Madonna Movie Retrospective. He's really good at discussing the plot without just summarizing it and he's pretty well versed on the technical aspects too. I dig his movie reviews.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I wouldn't mind at all if Todd did more regular movie reviews. No shortage of bad musical adaptations and pop star vehicles, as demonstrated here. Plus it gives him more to talk about compared to a 3-4 minute song would.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Solaris Knight posted:

I wouldn't mind at all if Todd did more regular movie reviews. No shortage of bad musical adaptations and pop star vehicles, as demonstrated here. Plus it gives him more to talk about compared to a 3-4 minute song would.

Yeah, agreed. If he did a movie month every year, that'd be cool and probably give him a break, allow some new pop to come on the scene.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
It looks like Doug Walker is one of the first big internet folks who has been tied to Blip for years to try his hand elsewhere. At what seems to be a new hosting site, maker.tv

http://www.maker.tv/video/s4nUMQVVox0V/maker/nostalgiacritic

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Writer Cath posted:

Yeah, agreed. If he did a movie month every year, that'd be cool and probably give him a break, allow some new pop to come on the scene.

Todd and Linkara are pretty much the only TGWTG folks I still follow, so I'm all for more Todd exposure.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Todd keeps his movie talk quick and funny, explains the movie well, and it feels like he's giving it a decent analysis, without going into scene by scene breakdown.

Linkara's tumblr is the most adorable dorky thing ever. The way he gets really excited over stupid things like foam walking lizards and which pokemon is the best starter is pretty :3: I have issues with some of the stuff he's produced, sure, but he's just so enthusatic, it's infectous. Its like when Quentin Tarantino talks about old grindhouse movies in interviews - you might not care for what's talking about, but his love of subject keeps you listening and entertained.

A critic or commentator should be able to keep the audience interested, even if the subject matter doesn't interest the listeners that much by itself - Brad Jones is good at that, for example.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

cubs2084 posted:

It looks like Doug Walker is one of the first big internet folks who has been tied to Blip for years to try his hand elsewhere. At what seems to be a new hosting site, maker.tv

Maker bought blip so it's kind of a lateral move. Just a change of domain name.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Maker bought blip so it's kind of a lateral move. Just a change of domain name.

And here I thought Disney bought Blip. Looking into it more, it sounds like Maker bought Blip, then Disney bought Maker? Either way, yeah my bad, guess it is just a name change that was already coming.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Todd keeps his movie talk quick and funny, explains the movie well, and it feels like he's giving it a decent analysis, without going into scene by scene breakdown.

For me, this is a big draw for Todd's work in general. He gets a lot of humor and insight into a 15 minute video. It's tough for me to get into the longer videos that some of the critics have been doing.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

:siren:THE ANGRY VIDEO GAME NERD MOVIE IS NOW AVALABLE!:siren:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I've been catching up on the Korra blog Doug and his brother did. They're still entertaining but Doug does flipflop a lot with the season finale one. He complains that the plot was too predictable then complains that he doesn't know where they're going with the ending situation with the main character. He does make a good point about the characterization though and how there were too many meandering scenes of "We got this you go do this" then then battle instead of getting more backstory on the villains. I will say I am getting annoyed that they keep bringing up Man of Steel and Dark Knight Rises. We get it, you two didn't like those films, you're not contributing anything new to the discussion at this point so just drop it.

Glad the show itself finally found its thing, though. Legend of Korra has been a crazy disappointment for me until this season.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

cubs2084 posted:

Wait why can't I hear anything?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jimbot posted:

I've been catching up on the Korra blog Doug and his brother did. They're still entertaining but Doug does flipflop a lot with the season finale one. He complains that the plot was too predictable then complains that he doesn't know where they're going with the ending situation with the main character. He does make a good point about the characterization though and how there were too many meandering scenes of "We got this you go do this" then then battle instead of getting more backstory on the villains. I will say I am getting annoyed that they keep bringing up Man of Steel and Dark Knight Rises. We get it, you two didn't like those films, you're not contributing anything new to the discussion at this point so just drop it.

Glad the show itself finally found its thing, though. Legend of Korra has been a crazy disappointment for me until this season.

The season 1 Korra finale really just killed my interest in the show entirely. That sounds overdramatic, but I don't mean I huffed and puffed and got mad at the show. It's just after seeing it I just found I didn't care enough to watch the second second season when it came out. I think 98% of my problem with that episode was giving Korra her powers back, because I thought it would be such a good premise to have a powerless Avatar for half a season.

I know season 1 had budget or cancellation problems or something so that probably explains it (what I said was likely the original plan), I recall reading they only ended up being allowed to make half the amount of episodes they wanted to. But that single "makes it easy" reset button ate the complexity of the show far more than the Energy Bending deus ex machina from the original ever did.

As for Doug's reviews so this isn't a total hijack, I watched some of his Adventure Time ones, watching the series for the first time with him. I was glad he liked the show, but I felt like he was overplaying the show's weirdness a liiiiiittle bit, he did it almost every episode and I'm not sure why he thinks it's that off the rails. Creative and different, sure, but I really don't think it's that nonsensical. In fact, of the amount I've watched of it (about 1.5 seasons), it seems to have remarkably consistent worldbuilding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jsor posted:

I know season 1 had budget or cancellation problems or something so that probably explains it (what I said was likely the original plan), I recall reading they only ended up being allowed to make half the amount of episodes they wanted to. But that single "makes it easy" reset button ate the complexity of the show far more than the Energy Bending deus ex machina from the original ever did.

It was planned to run for two seasons, then Nick decided they'd only get one. Then, post finale, Nick decided to give them 3 or 4 which completely wrecked the story they were trying to tell.

• Locked thread