Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It astounds me that nigh on 10 years after the premier of the first show Nickelodeon still either doesn't know how to handle or has zero faith in the Avatar franchise. Even after it's proven repeatedly to be one of thier most popular properties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Jsor posted:

The season 1 Korra finale really just killed my interest in the show entirely. That sounds overdramatic, but I don't mean I huffed and puffed and got mad at the show. It's just after seeing it I just found I didn't care enough to watch the second second season when it came out. I think 98% of my problem with that episode was giving Korra her powers back, because I thought it would be such a good premise to have a powerless Avatar for half a season.

I know season 1 had budget or cancellation problems or something so that probably explains it (what I said was likely the original plan), I recall reading they only ended up being allowed to make half the amount of episodes they wanted to. But that single "makes it easy" reset button ate the complexity of the show far more than the Energy Bending deus ex machina from the original ever did.

As for Doug's reviews so this isn't a total hijack, I watched some of his Adventure Time ones, watching the series for the first time with him. I was glad he liked the show, but I felt like he was overplaying the show's weirdness a liiiiiittle bit, he did it almost every episode and I'm not sure why he thinks it's that off the rails. Creative and different, sure, but I really don't think it's that nonsensical. In fact, of the amount I've watched of it (about 1.5 seasons), it seems to have remarkably consistent worldbuilding.

I was referring to the latest set of videos. I only now realized that using "one" instead of vlog was a bad choice of words. Season 3 of Korra is pretty good but still doesn't really size up to The Last Airbender (at least seasons 2 and 3). Only having 12 episode seasons really screwed up things up.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

nine-gear crow posted:

It astounds me that nigh on 10 years after the premier of the first show Nickelodeon still either doesn't know how to handle or has zero faith in the Avatar franchise. Even after it's proven repeatedly to be one of thier most popular properties.
Its like how CN handled shows like Justice League or Samurai Jack or Symbiotic Titan.

Also I hope Doug chooses a new show to vlog about, something like Gravity Falls or hell Regular Show.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

achillesforever6 posted:

Its like how CN handled shows like Justice League or Samurai Jack or Symbiotic Titan.

Also I hope Doug chooses a new show to vlog about, something like Gravity Falls or hell Regular Show.

Quick question, Young Justice was the show that was canceled because the ratings said a lot of girls watched it so the network thought something was wrong with the show, right?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

BigRed0427 posted:

Quick question, Young Justice was the show that was canceled because the ratings said a lot of girls watched it so the network thought something was wrong with the show, right?

Kind of, their reasoning was that girls don't buy action figures and that is were the real money lies with cartoons. No idea if that was an assumption, or if they had numbers to back that up.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

e X posted:

Kind of, their reasoning was that girls don't buy action figures and that is were the real money lies with cartoons. No idea if that was an assumption, or if they had numbers to back that up.
Paul Dini did an interview with Kevin Smith where he discussed the rationalizations the powers that be made in their decision to cancel Young Justice. Here's the link with all the pertinents. But yeah, essentially the reasoning was "Boys buy action figures while girls don't" and it's based off this narrow minded view that superheroes are for boys and not girls which is utter bullshit. But more depressingly, it's a symptom of the disease that's been plaguing Warner/DC right around when the New 52 started. It's to squeeze as much blood out of their narrow fanbase as possible without any attempt to expand before it's too late

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Benny the Snake posted:

But more depressingly, it's a symptom of the disease that's been plaguing Warner/DC right around when the New 52 started. It's to squeeze as much blood out of their narrow fanbase as possible without any attempt to expand before it's too late

That's not a new-52 thing, that has literally been the policy of comic publisher since 1996. You hit the reasoning right on the head though, with the dwindling sales numbers, they cling very hard to the small number of buyers they have instead of changing their concept and risking to lose this very last bastion of assured sales. It's what has been slowly killing the industry and is the reason we basically never left the '90s.

And of course it's Marvel that has been actually slowly changing this, while DC has doubled down with the N52.

e X fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 3, 2014

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

e X posted:

That's not a new-52 thing, that has literally been the policy of comic publisher since 1996.

And they wonder why they will never be able to outdo Marvel Studios. I think DC going way too fast with it's world building, and I am sure the JLA movie will not do anywhere near what the Avengers did.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

Paul Dini did an interview with Kevin Smith where he discussed the rationalizations the powers that be made in their decision to cancel Young Justice. Here's the link with all the pertinents. But yeah, essentially the reasoning was "Boys buy action figures while girls don't" and it's based off this narrow minded view that superheroes are for boys and not girls which is utter bullshit. But more depressingly, it's a symptom of the disease that's been plaguing Warner/DC right around when the New 52 started. It's to squeeze as much blood out of their narrow fanbase as possible without any attempt to expand before it's too late
Its also reasons why instead of sticking with designs like Starfire from the cartoon to making her basically naked in the comics because DC is all about being mature and not funny and kiddy.

Another funny thing is Green Lantern TAS which was really good got canceled because no stores would hold Green Lantern merch because they got burned by holding toys for that lovely loving movie.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

achillesforever6 posted:

Its also reasons why instead of sticking with designs like Starfire from the cartoon to making her basically naked in the comics because DC is all about being mature and not funny and kiddy.
And it would explain why the "no jokes" rumor caught on like it did. It's exactly the kind of "we want to be not-Marvel" bullshit that we'd expect from DC right now :smith:

e X posted:

That's not a new-52 thing, that has literally been the policy of comic publisher since 1996. You hit the reasoning right on the head though, with the dwindling sales numbers, they cling very hard to the small number of buyers they have instead of changing their concept and risking to lose this very last bastion of assured sales. It's what has been slowly killing the industry and is the reason we basically never left the '90s.

And of course it's Marvel that has been actually slowly changing this, while DC has doubled down with the N52.
I wasn't into comics back then, so I have no frame of reference outside the Nu-52 :shrug:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

e X posted:

Part of this in DC is also because it is currently being run by guys who had their greatest success during the 90s.

Edit: People wonder why stuff like Adventure Time is SO popular.

I'm actualy shocked the Adam West Batman is getting a release at all. I would think, even with all the rights issues sorted out, DC Editorial would fight to not have it released because "That's not who Batman is anymore"

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 3, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Part of this in DC is also because it is currently being run by guys who had their greatest success during the 90s.

Edit: People wonder why stuff like Adventure Time is SO popular.

I'm actualy shocked the Adam West Batman is getting a release at all. I would think, even with all the rights issues sorted out, DC Editorial would fight to not have it released because "That's not who Batman is anymore"
Also being run by a guy with a hard on for Hal Jordan and Barry who decides to shaft the fans of characters like Jon Stewart and Wally.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The definitive DC character is no longer Batman or Superman, it's Aquaman.

Why is this so?

Because for almost 40 years Aquaman has been the apotheosis of the mentality "I'm not Silly! I'm Very Serious! I'm for Grown-Ups! Take me Seriously!" and that's what DC Comics is all about. :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Metal Loaf posted:

The definitive DC character is no longer Batman or Superman, it's Aquaman.

Why is this so?

Because for almost 40 years Aquaman has been the apotheosis of the mentality "I'm not Silly! I'm Very Serious! I'm for Grown-Ups! Take me Seriously!" and that's what DC Comics is all about. :v:

Case in point: stunt-casting Jason Momoa in the latest desperate bid to get people to take Aquaman serious. :v:

"Oh, I know! Let's get that guy from Game of Thrones who screamed a lot and ripped out that guy's tongue. That'll make people take Aquaman seriously and not inspire a chorus of 'what the hell were they thinking?' $100 million salary please!"

And I love the poo poo out of Jason Momoa too...

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 3, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Aquaman is awesome when in the right hands, you guys are haters. :colbert:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There is literally nothing that can be done to make Aquaman cool in the masses' minds, and it's pretty sad because King of Atlantis that founded the Justice League should be awesome on paper.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Tae posted:

There is literally nothing that can be done to make Aquaman cool in the masses' minds, and it's pretty sad because King of Atlantis that founded the Justice League should be awesome on paper.

It's become a running, easy, memetic joke, "lol all Aquaman can do is talk to fish." Because a super hero's character is entirely their super power, nothing else matters (yeah I know he also has super strength and stuff but the general public doesn't). This is apparently ignoring the fact that Batman's power is "rich."

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
No, the thing is that people, by and large, don't give a flying gently caress about superheroes and only know about Aquaman as the punchline to the joke about him being lame because he can just talk to fish. Trying to explain that he is a cool character is like trying to establish the heartwarming backstory of the rabbi and the priest, nobody cares outside of the joke.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

Everyone acts like Aquaman is a joke that no one will ever take seriously, but he's such an underdog now that as long as he's done half-well and gets one good moment people will love him. It's not like this would be the first case of a movie changing people's minds about a superhero.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
When has a movie ever rehabilitated a character from joke to respected? Movies tend to move public opinion in the other direction via bombs.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
It's pretty goddamn sad that no matter how badass they make Aquaman, more people will have seen Superfriends and regurgitated that dumb meme than will ever pick up a comic book. It's the same poo poo as Hank Pym.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

You'd think Justice League would have saved Aquaman's character, seeing how he was pretty :black101: in that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Gyges posted:

When has a movie ever rehabilitated a character from joke to respected? Movies tend to move public opinion in the other direction via bombs.

Rocket Racoon I've seen turn people from "Who? Is this a joke?" to marketable powerhouse. I assume the same for Hank Pym as well, although that can easily steer into the Wife Beater if people actually read about Pym.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MonsieurChoc posted:

Aquaman is awesome when in the right hands, you guys are haters. :colbert:

Hey, I like Aquaman, and I enjoy stuff like Peter David's "undersea Conan the Barbarian" take on the character, which is pretty much the big example (not to mention the most successful) of trying to rehabilitate Aquaman's image and provided the basis for his DCAU portrayal.

Sometimes it just seems like a lot of the effort they put into refuting the "swims fast, talks to fish" joke from Superfriends ends up looping back around and becoming a joke in itself. :shrug:

nine-gear crow posted:

And I love the poo poo out of Jason Momoa too...

He should know his way around Atlantis, at least. :v:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

achillesforever6 posted:

You'd think Justice League would have saved Aquaman's character, seeing how he was pretty :black101: in that.

The episode where he chops off his hand with his belt buckle is pretty hard core but I guess people say that he was kinda tryhard in JLU? At any rate, the Batman Brave and the Bold version seems to be the definite Aquaman

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Calaveron posted:

The episode where he chops off his hand with his belt buckle is pretty hard core but I guess people say that he was kinda tryhard in JLU? At any rate, the Batman Brave and the Bold version seems to be the definite Aquaman

Yeah. Why can't we get Brian Blessed to play Aquaman in the new movie?

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

I had a horrible, awful, lovely day yesterday and watching this movie last night made me laugh quite a lot, despite wishing I was dead. :gbsmith:

Call me a fangirl, but I'm really happy with the final product. So worth the wait. And Pat the NES Punk is in it as well :swoon:

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Don't ever read the comments for the "available now" video on youtube. Unless you like reading entitled little shits getting angry about having to pay for the movie. Holy moly... :psyduck:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Goddamn wealthy internet critics constantly loving the little guy!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Ema Nymton posted:

I had a horrible, awful, lovely day yesterday and watching this movie last night made me laugh quite a lot, despite wishing I was dead. :gbsmith:

Call me a fangirl, but I'm really happy with the final product. So worth the wait. And Pat the NES Punk is in it as well :swoon:

The movie itself was decent. I probably wasn't as blown away by it as you because I'm late to the AVGN party. (The video on Tiger Games was the first time I ever watched him) I can't wait to see what else he does next :).

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tae posted:

Rocket Racoon I've seen turn people from "Who? Is this a joke?" to marketable powerhouse. I assume the same for Hank Pym as well, although that can easily steer into the Wife Beater if people actually read about Pym.

No one had any opinion on Rocket before though because nobody knew he existed. The movie took him from "that sounds like a weird concept" to popular. Has Hank been in a movie before? Because as far as I know he's still known as the wife beater who's completely superfluous because his buddies Reed and Tony are just a phone call away.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gyges posted:

No one had any opinion on Rocket before though because nobody knew he existed. The movie took him from "that sounds like a weird concept" to popular. Has Hank been in a movie before? Because as far as I know he's still known as the wife beater who's completely superfluous because his buddies Reed and Tony are just a phone call away.

Literally no one knows he's a 'wife beater' except people who read the comics and know that arc is ancient and will probably have nothing to do with the movie, and people who read a Cracked "SEVEN DARK TURNS IN COMIC BOOKS" type article. I'd say Pym is as much known as Rocket Raccoon.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Literally no one knows he's a 'wife beater' except people who read the comics and know that arc is ancient and will probably have nothing to do with the movie, and people who read a Cracked "SEVEN DARK TURNS IN COMIC BOOKS" type article. I'd say Pym is as much known as Rocket Raccoon.
Pym is also a supporting character in the Ant-Man movie anyway, not the star.

Ronk a Donk
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

Captain America was considered pretty cheesy when I was a kid, due in no small part to the awful 90s movie with the rubber ears. I grew up in a small town in Canada, and "Captain America" was one of a handful of PG movies available for rent in the convenience store, so it made the rounds and all the kids hated it. It also probably had something to do with being a "national stereotype" super-hero for someone else's nation. In any event, his franchise is way better off now. Then again, even at his worst, Captain American was never considered as big a joke as Aquaman.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I would say the Tim Burton Batman movies brought Batman up from the joke he was from the 60's show, at least in the public eye.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

No one had any opinion on Rocket before though because nobody knew he existed. The movie took him from "that sounds like a weird concept" to popular.

UMvC3 might have helped some too, though I'm not sure how many people play the MvC games that aren't already big Marvel fans.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Gyges posted:

Dredd seems to have stopped a lot of the ire for the character in the US, at least for the people who took a chance and watched it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ronk a Donk posted:

Captain America was considered pretty cheesy when I was a kid, due in no small part to the awful 90s movie with the rubber ears. I grew up in a small town in Canada, and "Captain America" was one of a handful of PG movies available for rent in the convenience store, so it made the rounds and all the kids hated it. It also probably had something to do with being a "national stereotype" super-hero for someone else's nation. In any event, his franchise is way better off now. Then again, even at his worst, Captain American was never considered as big a joke as Aquaman.

Was this the Reb Brown Captain or Matt Salinger Captain?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I would say the Tim Burton Batman movies brought Batman up from the joke he was from the 60's show, at least in the public eye.

Anyone against Adam West Batman is a horrible person and their opinions are invalid.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Was this the Reb Brown Captain or Matt Salinger Captain?

Rubber ears was Matt Salinger; Reb Brown had the motorcycle helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gyges posted:

Anyone against Adam West Batman is a horrible person and their opinions are invalid.

"They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're also human beings."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLZQ3OLEJWE

• Locked thread