Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it
Agreed, Gravity Falls is also great.

When you have Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, and Rick and Morty, why waste time with Korra, is what I'm saying. :haw: Also, you could just rewatch Avatar! Three good cartoons and the ability to rewatch Avatar! What a wonderful world we live in~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

By that logic why waste time with any other animated show when you could be watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I really wish Venture Brothers would manage to not have the loving worst gaps between seasons of any show I have ever seen because then we'd have 4 great shows.

Jay-O, just wondering, any opinions on the Age of Ultron trailer that just got released? I liked the original film well enough, but I love how the trailer is really emphasizing Ultron being a legitimate threat and not some guy who can just get smacked around like Loki did throughout the entire first film. I'm interested to see if the film tries to change up the the tone that seems to have pervaded the Marvel films, that sense of jocular, witty one liner feeling and make a darker film.

Also, that shot with the creepy Proto-Ultron stumbling out before crushing the Iron Man helmet was really really well done.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 25, 2014

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

By that logic why waste time with any other animated show when you could be watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure?

This is also a valid argument.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jay O posted:

Agreed, Gravity Falls is also great.

When you have Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, and Rick and Morty, why waste time with Korra, is what I'm saying. :haw: Also, you could just rewatch Avatar! Three good cartoons and the ability to rewatch Avatar! What a wonderful world we live in~
Eh I like Korra so might as well waste 22 minutes watching it on a Friday afternoon; man all the really good cartoon series I like take so long to get made; Rick and Morty S2 is going to be in 2015, Venture Brothers Season 5.5 is going to be 2015 (hopefully). At least Tuesdays I can watch The Flash and Agents of Shield (yeah I know) back to back.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I really wish Venture Brothers would manage to not have the loving worst gaps between seasons of any show I have ever seen because then we'd have 4 great shows.
Having listened to all those commentaries its no wonder why it takes them so long to make the show.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also put your face-eyes on Wakfu, it is adorable and French.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Also put your face-eyes on Wakfu, it is adorable and French.
Look I was burned before in the mid 2000s by French Animation, you better not be lying.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Jay O posted:

Here, it's all a big question mark, but my hope and wish is that it's juuuuust about to explode and all the medium needs is a few big, quality hits. The format's biggest problem right now is twofold: overreliance on copying the Japanese way of doing things, and a glut of terrific artists and programmers working vs. very few good writers. Quality stuff, when it gets made, gets noticed fast, like Katawa Shojo, the greatest contributor to the rise of English-language visual novel production, and Cinders, which has gotten modest but powerful recognition in the indie-game world, and does technically call itself a "visual novel," despite not having CGs or anime-styled art or any other surface-level VN trappings.

I agree with all of this. The lack of good writers is pretty much what's keeping visual novels on a slow, slow, journey of exposure in the west. Even for Japanese VNs that had crappy art, (like Tsukihime and the Higurashi series), interesting writing got them pretty far!

The part I bolded with is what I immediately balk at when I see someone starting up a project that is basically a romance game set in Japan with anime/manga tropes and such. Actually that goes for a few visual novels on Kickstarter that are basically walking/talking Japanese anime/manga tropes, but they have their fanbases so people will throw money for moe! (There are some projects that at least try to have different focuses even if there are elements of these tropes and styles, but some do not even try at ALL.)

Basically, my point is is that visual novels have good potential to tell different stories in different ways and different art styles! The problem is is that a good chunk of new writers and artists approach it as a medium that needs to look and sound like anime. I even had a minor argument with someone who said that your visual novel will probably only be noticed if it had anime/manga art which is a loaded and narrow minded statement for a niche medium that could use some more variations in, well, everything. And it's certainly not true since Cinders is a good example of this not being the case in terms of art style. :v:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

http://phelous.com/2014/10/24/phelous/halloweenie/halloweenie-the-worst-decorations/
New Halloweenie :allears:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

This is actually one of the most logical arguments that I've ever seen. Why watch anything when you can just watch Jojo?

Aisha
Sep 25, 2009

I've heard of households where the boys have to do equal amounts of laundry/cooking/cleaning/babysitting etc. but I have never seen one in real life.

Jay O posted:

the creators' weirdly libertarian creepy bullshit that I hoped we were done with in season one. (Hey look, ANOTHER strawman villain who wants equality for all against a strawman evil despot and it turns out OH NO THAT JUST LEADS TO ANARCHY IMMEDIATELY BECAUSE NOT-SPECIAL-BENDER PEOPLE ARE FOOLS WHO NEED TO BE LED GENTLY)

I'm not sure this assessment is correct. Libertarians would be in favor of minimal government, correct? Showing chaotic and violent consequences after a high-taxing invasive central government is disabled seems a bit contrary to libertarianism, if anything.

In season one, benders were used as a scapegoat and blamed for gang violence and war. Unlike S3, it didn't lead to anarchy immediately, but it did eventually lead to an attempt at taking over the city in an attempt to systematically "de-bend" any benders and eventually the establishment of a Republic (the first in the avatar universe?). Non-benders aren't portrayed as fools (Asami is the levelheaded and intelligent one of the group), not that it would really bolster a libertarian message even if they were. (Asami is also the only proverbial captain of industry who isn't corrupt and using her wealth/power for sinister means, fwtw.)

I guess the theme for all the Korra villains is meant to be those with good intentions or noble ideals but radical/violent methodology ("extremists"). I'll agree that its not well done, but I just don't see the "libertarianism" there. It seems like if anything its heading towards a very kid-friendly pro-democracy sort of centrism.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I still need to watch Jojo's and I know I am missing out one the one thing that GBS isn't Japanapohoic over.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Tracula posted:

I still need to watch Jojo's and I know I am missing out one the one thing that GBS isn't Japanapohoic over.

They also seem to be cool with Cromartie High School which is good because that is the best anime besides Jojo.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Aisha posted:

I guess the theme for all the Korra villains is meant to be those with good intentions or noble ideals but radical/violent methodology ("extremists"). I'll agree that its not well done, but I just don't see the "libertarianism" there. It seems like if anything its heading towards a very kid-friendly pro-democracy sort of centrism.

Yeah, I didn't have a really solid word for it and was writing it in a hurry, so I went with "libertarian" because it was "What's the Dark Knight Rises about? Oh right" but even then that's more HARDCORE CONSERVATISM than it is libertarianism. But I figured someone would call me on it when I wrote it because it's maybe a little left of that.

The point is, the show is very "lol wrongheaded extremists and stuffy royals and impulsive peons. Real power should go to the cool, talented people (benders/superheroes) because ideologies and structure are for losers. They'll protect the weak and won't abuse power no matter what!" This is made all the more clear by the show's repeated endorsement of Korra. The show itself seems to think she's a Strong Female Character, but outside of its in-universe bullshit framing and Korra-fellating...well, even non-fans have heard the complaints on her, I think. She's a pretty Bad Person Who Should Not Be Idolized and Never Learns A drat Thing until maybe this most recent season, but that's too little too late.

For a better comparison than the Dark Knight Rises that is actually a cartoon, remember how weird Randians co-opted The Incredibles' message as a thing supporting their crappy "special people are better" ideology before Brad Bird went "wait wait that's not what I meant" with Ratatouille? Korra is like The Incredibles without the easy-to-misinterpret nuance. Its worldview and unintended message (I have NO idea what their "intended" message is, if there is one,) is a very babyish version of that film's. So it may not be whole hog "libertarian," but I can definitely see Randians jumping in on Korra's framing of the season 1 and 3 conflicts. It is unintentional on the creators' part, it's just the natural way they see the world bleeding into their fictional worldbuilding but...it's kinda sad.

quote:

(Asami is also the only proverbial captain of industry who isn't corrupt and using her wealth/power for sinister means, fwtw.)

It's not as simplistic as "benders vs. non-benders." It's "special people vs. non-special people." Asami is special because she does machines. The average peon in Korra is usually either onscreen to be mocked or rescued, and it got to be kind of insulting and painfully bad comedy the more and more they pushed that. Just count the number of "Team Avatar are the only sane people (even Bolin despite his idiocy!) having to deal with some extra's crap" scenes there are. There are Too Many.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 25, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Testekill posted:

They also seem to be cool with Cromartie High School which is good because that is the best anime besides Jojo.

I personally have a hard time believing anything could ever be as good as Hokuto no Ken but I'll give it a shot.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Uh you do know actual history makes a fairly solid case for "when a despot with no clear successor dies suddenly in a super divided and oppressed society there will probably be riots", right? Like yea the lower ring dudes eating actual trash probably would try to get a few coins when the lady keeping them oppressed eats poo poo and her killer says "do whatever".

I mean if we go this in depth with such basic wuxia tropes as Avatar uses then in Airbender the cabbage seller constantly being hosed is clearly more Randian propaganda with the special benders trampling a lower class worker with no ambitions.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'm not gonna agree that Season 3 of Korra is bad, but I will agree that Rick and Morty is absolutely phenomenal and might just be the best show in Adult Swim history, neck and neck with Venture Brothers. I contend that Rixty Minutes and M-Night Shaym-Aleisn are two of the funniest episodes of TV of the entire year. It is sort of funny how we got both the best AS show this year along with the worst AS Show. Mr. Pickles is loving garbage.

Though my contention is this:

Rick and Morty >>>Gravity Falls >>>> Korra

Gravity Falls is a pretty great show guys.

Calling anything a golden age of [x] is overplayed and presumptious and whatever but now is truly a fantastic time for western animation on tv.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Uh you do know actual history makes a fairly solid case for "when a despot with no clear successor dies suddenly in a super divided and oppressed society there will probably be riots", right? Like yea the lower ring dudes eating actual trash probably would try to get a few coins when the lady keeping them oppressed eats poo poo and her killer says "do whatever".

It's not "that it happens." Showing that happening is perfectly fine and understandable. It's "how it's framed." Instead of "oh no, riots and confusion in the wake of a leader being killed," it's this super-childish "ha ha, the queen died, what a bitch she was!" followed by Mako reacting either comically or angrily to dumb townsfolk looting Ba Sing Se. There's even a moment where Bolin walks into an airship and shouts "THERE'S GOLD IN THAT ROOM OVER THERE!" at which everybody runs out, short-sighted and giggly. It's not even framed as being horrible and unfortunate, it's just all supposed to be a big joke because ha ha dumb peons. Then our more high-minded main characters share smug looks and start fixing the airship. The only people not shown ransacking the city with cries of "woo hoo, no rules!" are Bolin and Mako's family because they're special. Even ignoring all the season 3 stuff, the entire handling of the equalist movement in season 1 raises some HUGE red flags. The conflict is basically dismissed as unimportant after the equalist leader is shown to be a bender in disguise...as if that somehow de-legitimized the movement. Then everybody just goes "yeah you're right, I guess special people are special and we just need to trust that they won't be assholes and rely on Team Avatar to save us," The End.

The show has an oddly reductive view of people, is what I'm saying. Most of it consists of finding new ways to mock or humiliate anyone who isn't a main character, and then eventually turning that on main characters as well (poor Bolin has been through the WRINGER in character devolution.) Consider how many of Korra's jokes revolve around "ha ha, that guy's stupid" or "ha ha, that guy's weird" or "ha ha, that girl's a maneater." There's lots of mockery-based humor in Korra that isn't biting in a Rick and Morty way for instance, it's just easy punch-downs and kinda cruel. It's not much fun, for me.

Aisha
Sep 25, 2009

I've heard of households where the boys have to do equal amounts of laundry/cooking/cleaning/babysitting etc. but I have never seen one in real life.

Jay O posted:

For a better comparison than the Dark Knight Rises that is actually a cartoon, remember how weird Randians co-opted The Incredibles' message as a thing supporting their crappy "special people are better" ideology before Brad Bird went "wait wait that's not what I meant" with Ratatouille? Korra is like The Incredibles without the easy-to-misinterpret nuance. Its worldview and unintended message (I have NO idea what their "intended" message is, if there is one,) is a very babyish version of that film's.

Yeah, I think that the Bob Parr's complaints about "celebrating mediocrity" was interpreted as an Objectivist message, which I know nothing about so I have no idea if Korra manages to represent those themes. The main characters all have special talents and strengths but thats not terribly unusual (their specialness is also far less pronounced than the original Gaangs was in ATLA; Mako is barely special at all).

I think Korra's intended message is along the lines of "extremism is bad". (But I'm not the professional critic). If Korra is unlikeable, you may be interested to know that she was designed to be the "opposite" of Aang in her disposition.

http://www.themarysue.com/the-mary-sue-exclusive-interview-with-the-creators-of-avatar-and-legend-of-korra/

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

No matter what a character says, a story can be read as satire. Avatar is an anime power fantasy, and demonstrates said fantasy's problematics fairly well. The show isn't intrinsically claiming people are stupid.

If anything, the riots are the underlying violence of the society its rulers constructed. The violence was already there, waiting to get out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I can get why people don't like her but I kinda like Korra as The Dirtbag Avatar. It makes sense that in a reincarnation system you're probably gonna get a few shitbirds mixed in with the Kyoshis and Aangs.

I just think you're ascribing a bit too much intent to the writers of the show, Korra is just following the Airbender style of making a wuxia kinda cartoon, and yea it's kinda hamstrung by the massive time jump taking it to Steampunk Land and the fact that half the seasons were near entirely focused on 2 locations instead of...ya know the wandering kung fu hero that is absolutely required for the genre. I think 3 and 4 are putting it back on that right track though. Zaheer was a neat villain to me because he was a way, way, better 'dark Korra' than lovely water dude was in season 2 because he was this weird perverted warrior of his own brand of 'balance'. And yea, he was objectively wrong. History in this world has shown they do need an avatar, yea they should be tempered with the will of the people and all but 'I'm gonna use mercury to murder the gently caress out of the Avatar and go 'pft deal with it world' when I'm done is not the right answer. Extremism isn't bad, Korra's a pretty extremist character, being a loving lunatic is.

Amon delegitimized his movement because he was a fugitive practicing like the one bending that's objectively evil and using it to torture people into submission. It wasn't 'you're a water bender MOVEMENT DESTROYED' it's 'oh gently caress you're an actual monster person who's hiding behind a movement to get foot soldiers, that's hosed up'. Like, if I join a political movement and it turns out the dude leading it was Osama Bin Ladin in a Noh mask, I'm gonna have a hard sell going 'no see I still like the party though'.

For what it's worth, and this is super lazy writing I'll agree, I THINK in one of the comics between 1 and 2 there was mention of people going 'ok yea we are loving non-benders pretty hard we should change that' and poo poo, but most of the oppression we saw in the show came as a result of Amon manipulating things to cause riots and poo poo knowing that shockingly a Beifong led police force is probably gonna be heavyhanded in stopping riots. The rest was like, 'there are criminals that are benders, that's hosed up' and poo poo. It wasn't so much 'ha ha equality more like TERRORISM' as 'this guy was kinda creating a situation to best exploit for his own gain becasue he's a lunatic'. I honestly think they did a fairly solid job showing equalist leadership not matching their views they spit to the proles, I don't think there was any implication that Joe Randomdude who said 'yea it DOES suck that benders can be dicks sometimes' even had any knowledge of the terrorist aspects of the group until they started attacking sports arenas and poo poo.

Man that's a lot of words about Wuxia For Kidz

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Hey Kyle, have you seen "Birdman" yet? I've heard that it's the anti-superhero film. Also how it's to Michael Keaton as to what Iron Man was to Robert Downey Jr, as how the couldn't of found a more perfect actor for the role as a washed-out has-been in the superhero genre.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Amon delegitimized his movement because he was a fugitive practicing like the one bending that's objectively evil and using it to torture people into submission. It wasn't 'you're a water bender MOVEMENT DESTROYED' it's 'oh gently caress you're an actual monster person who's hiding behind a movement to get foot soldiers, that's hosed up'. Like, if I join a political movement and it turns out the dude leading it was Osama Bin Ladin in a Noh mask, I'm gonna have a hard sell going 'no see I still like the party though'.
Sort of like Gamergate, oh my god its all come full circle!!!! :stonk:

Isn't Legend of Korra also the case where it is written by two guys while all the other writers from TLA left? I mean sometimes having two guys writing the show can be great (Venture Bros being the prime example), but sometimes I feel it would be better if this show had more writers to maybe smooth things out.

Benny the Snake posted:

Hey Kyle, have you seen "Birdman" yet? I've heard that it's the anti-superhero film. Also how it's to Michael Keaton as to what Iron Man was to Robert Downey Jr, as how the couldn't of found a more perfect actor for the role as a washed-out has-been in the superhero genre.
Seeing how the director of the movie said "Superhero movies are cultural genocide" I'm kind of interested in seeing it. That and I got to support my hometown hero Michael Keaton

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

That game's more than a decade old now. How time flies.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I might like KOTOR II slightly better, because on one hand it's really quite obviously an unfinished game, but at the same time, I really enjoy the dimension of it that asks, "What happens next?" after the kind of big, triumphant, heroic ending you see in the first game and answers, "It doesn't go so well." You had KOTOR, which was obviously a fairly straightforward classic Star Wars adventure (granted, with a massive, massive twist in the middle of the game), but I think the second one did something pretty different with the premise.

Super late on KotOR chat but KotOR 2 has a mod to restore all the cut content if anyone wants to fire that game up because of the SFDebris review! http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think I own the game any more. For that matter, I'm pretty sure we don't have an Xbox any more, either. It's been that long since I played either of them.

I think they're reasonably cheap on Steam, though, so I might think about that option.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Metal Loaf posted:

I don't think I own the game any more. For that matter, I'm pretty sure we don't have an Xbox any more, either. It's been that long since I played either of them.

I think they're reasonably cheap on Steam, though, so I might think about that option.

Yeah, they're pretty cheap on Steam and they go down to about $2.50 during sales on a regular basis. So if you can wait a month or two I'd say grab 'em when winter rolls around.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Video's finished.

I hope my dumb mockery of a few really silly people brightens someone's day. Please let me know what you think in case I do more stuff in this vein.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Tracula posted:

Yeah, they're pretty cheap on Steam and they go down to about $2.50 during sales on a regular basis. So if you can wait a month or two I'd say grab 'em when winter rolls around.

Would it be better to play KOTOR1 before watching SF Debris' review?

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Hbomberguy posted:

Video's finished.

I hope my dumb mockery of a few really silly people brightens someone's day. Please let me know what you think in case I do more stuff in this vein.

That was really funny. LOL The pacing and editing were really good as well, it didn't seem to overstay its welcome. You have a great voice for this kind of thing.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Yeah it was pretty good, maybe a little too long if I'm being really picky but I liked it. The last 5 seconds were great.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Max Wilco posted:

Only if you absolutely must know both the total joy of having to shoot things in between every planet and what happens during the few glitches he stumbled upon.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Max Wilco posted:

Ehh. The start is ungodly slow. I'd sort of suggest just watching his review.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Max Wilco posted:

Watch the videos, then play Kotor 2 with the Restored Content patch. There, best Kotor experience. Maybe play the MMO afterwards, if you've got a bunch of friends willing to do it with you.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Hbomberguy posted:

Video's finished.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaggghhh ahahahahha I didn't expect the rear end in a top hat to drop the n-word so casually jesus loving christ.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Hbomberguy posted:

Video's finished.

I'd compare that bald fucker to Kane from C&C but even he wouldn't want anything to do with this poo poo.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Watch the videos, then play Kotor 2 with the Restored Content patch. There, best Kotor experience. Maybe play the MMO afterwards, if you've got a bunch of friends willing to do it with you.

With restored content KOTOR II is really drat solid but if you can't be bothered to play that there's an absolutely excellent LP in the archives that's worth a read.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 25, 2014

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Hbomberguy posted:

Video's finished.

Amazing, great job. Fifteen...thousand...dollars!!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
There is a next level insane economics paper to be written on the economic impact of Sarkeesian via the money made through various revenue streams by her detractors. Aside from simple ad revenue from youtube and the like, those fuckers with the Sarkeesian Effect alone are over $9K a month for the quixotic quest to slay the Sarkeesian giant.

A number truly worthy of breaking your scouter over.

Edit: There's got to be a way for the NEA and a collection of Nobel Prize winning Economists to get together and figure out how to stimulate our economy via amusing pet videos.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Hbomberguy posted:

Video's finished.

Wow, what a colossal douchenozzle.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Just want to say that I'm in the process of starting over my written review series on Greek Mythology; all written because my voice really doesn't lend itself well to a podcast or video.

I find the idea of reviewing Greek Mythology could lend itself well in humor and also in being informative. So as I finish a post I'll be sure to post here.

Been years since I did it, I think they can be found on the TGWTG blog section, but I lost everything else when I deleted my old Google account.

E: Yeah my old blogs are still on TGWTG, heh I forgot when I started I called it Douchebag Moments in Greek Mythology oh 18 year old me was really mature back then. And wow some of these early ones had nearly 3000 hits

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I take solace in the fact that they currently have 6 patrons for $16 per month on their Patreon.

Because holy poo poo gently caress these guys.

• Locked thread