Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DStecks posted:

Plinkett has never been portrayed as a rapist, this is a thing I reminded you of last time you wheeled out this little nugget of idiocy.

He's never really been portrayed enjoying murder, either; his MO is kidnapping people for bizarre review-related reasons, not specifically to kill them.

I'm sorry I was mistaken about what the funny violence against women character does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

My apologies for enjoying dark comedy, in the future I will ensure my taste in humour adheres the the moral standards of The Vosgian Beast.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't be so defensive weirdo.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Somebody forgot about the bit with the cat.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Now, if all goes well, we're going to see a couple super well known cartoonists folk talk about on how tiresome the Plinkett reviews were on its gimmick, and folk are going to scramble on their attempts to portray them as "nobodies on tumblr".

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
I liked the part where he offered to mail out pizza rolls. That was fun times.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mad Lupine posted:

I liked the part where he offered to mail out pizza rolls. That was fun times.
And as gross as it was the "I can't stop cumming!!!" will never not be funny to me.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

achillesforever6 posted:

And as gross as it was the "I can't stop cumming!!!" will never not be funny to me.

The analogy of trying to put together three different jigsaw puzzles in 60 minutes was pretty good.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
I think the plinkett reviews are real funny.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

The Plinkett reviews are funny, but they're also a nice reminder that basically anyone can dress their opinion up to look measured and logical. Their real achievement is to mix this successfully with comedy and a 'character' behind it, stuff plenty of angry gaming people try and fail to manage. Plinkett has successors in things like Sequelitis, which for its lack of real analysis (and frequent misrepresentation of games) is very well put together.

Folks still take the Plinkett reviews as gospel regarding the prequels, so they have a very clear appeal. Like an above poster said, they're enough 'like' a seminar that they feel truly informative and accurate. They're conceptually like the scene in Episode 3 where folks go to an opera and weird CGI bullshit happens, but because it's in an opera-like setting, people clap politely. It's the dumbness of a youtube comment ("the prequels suck because they're not like MY star wars!") dressed in the trappings of a film seminar.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The prequels suck because they are terrible movies.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Andrast posted:

The prequels suck because they are terrible movies.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Before the reviews, I simply regarded the prequels with indifference. They never managed to elicit any kind of emotional reaction from me; I remember as a kid trying to like the first one and failing. I just vaguely nodded when people said they were bad. After the reviews, I finally feel scorn towards them. So they're good in that regard.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I liked Phantom Menace as a kid(and still do), hate Attack of the Clones, and am more mixed on Revenge of the Sith. I never watched the RLM reviews, but I was happy when Doug did a video on good things about the prequels. It was a lot more even handed then most of the frothing hatred those movies get.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Attack of the Clones is legitimately the worst non-B movie I have ever seen. And that includes Battlefield Earth and all the Twilight movies. It is a complete failure on every possible level. The Plinkett reviews do a good job of explaining the finer details of the failings of all three movies, but RLM didn't need to do a Plinkett video for Episode 2 because it's so blatantly garbage and its failings are so obvious to pretty much any human being. There is nothing they could have possibly done to make Episode 2 worse than it already is.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'll be dead serious, I have literally never seen a single person make a good argument against Plinkett's points in the reviews regarding how badly shot, paced, written and all the other major points he brings up. I've only ever see people bring up that he hates them for being different. I really want to see someone give me a good explanation against his points because they're pretty rock solid. They were a bunch of terribly written movies with horrific directing. To compare it to Sequalitis is patently absurd because those videos are JUST Egorapter complaining that new games are dumb :qq:. Plinkett's reviews has those lovely skits that should have been taken out, but aside from a couple of weak points, most of his views are pretty solid in regards to scene framing, the way humans act and so on.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 31, 2014

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

DStecks posted:

Plinkett has never been portrayed as a rapist,
He does gently caress his cat.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
I thing I really liked about the Episode I review is that they never bring up Jar Jar directly. I think it was just to draw attention away from Jar Jar and shine the light at the other failings of the movie (wooden acting, bad/boring characters, etc).

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Plinkett's reviews has those lovely skits that should have been taken out, but aside from a couple of weak points, most of his views are pretty solid in regards to scene framing, the way humans act and so on.

Honestly, I don't really care about the content of the skits themselves, but some of them do drag on longer than they have to and distract from the salient points he's trying to make about the movies themselves.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I just realized now I have to wait a year now for new Monster Madness and Longbox of the Damned :smith:

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

New Jontron again, with the second part of his Are You Afraid of the Dark review!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

ninjahedgehog posted:

Honestly, I don't really care about the content of the skits themselves, but some of them do drag on longer than they have to and distract from the salient points he's trying to make about the movies themselves.

I'd say he really rectifies this in the Revenge of the Sith review. There are considerably fewer skits in that than the previous reviews and when they do show up they're mostly at the beginning and end of it.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Hey Hbomberguy, Kyle Kallgren linked to your video on Twitter

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

It's passed 100k views. Congrats, dude!

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Cubey posted:

Attack of the Clones is legitimately the worst non-B movie I have ever seen.
Attack of the Clones is a B-movie. Yoda swordfights Dracula. Literally Dracula, played by the most famous Dracula actor of all time (besides Max Schreck if you want to be fancy). Numerous scenes are direct references to B-Movie tropes from across time, like the famous early-cinema special effect where a guy tries to spear a monster (dinosaur?) and it grabs the spear gets replicated with a CGI monster, or in the sequel where Darth Vader is literally born on frankenstein's table.

Dooku is a campy vampire man. Padme is 'a bad actor' (in story! She has a double!). The Emperor's really funny looking 'evil monster face' is hiding behind his regular one, revealed by his glowy magic lighting getting reflected at him by a lazer sword. Darth Vader, one of the most iconic images in popcultural history, is just some guy in a silly plastic mask that makes a hilarious comedy sound effect as it pops onto his head. The prequels are excellent, just not in the way people want or expected them to. It's Star Wars crash-landing into its b-movie heritage full force, and the shockwave kills the jedi at their supposed height. They literally cannot handle the idea that some people do not want to be star wars and get so distracted that the true essence of star wars, a hooded dude with a monsterface and james earl jones frankenstein mask man, take over and kill them all. I love it.

watho posted:

It's passed 100k views. Congrats, dude!
Thanks.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

i'm sorry that i can't understand the dadaist appeal of the prequels

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Not exactly sure what's dadaist about swordfighting dracula. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

okay I admit it even I want a pastebin of quotes now

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I once blew someone's mind by telling him "So Christopher Lee, the actor who played Dracula the most times, is in Star Wars playing and evil wizard named Count D".

Personally, I just thought it was funny.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I always knew the prequels blew but the Plinkett review got me noticing things like actors in a CGI too heavy action movie not flinching or reacting at all to things they should be, not just in the movie but in movies in general.

edit: Also comparing the Mustafar scene to being the movie version of a red sports car was pretty solid.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 1, 2014

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I watch a lot of B-Movies and many of them are far more entertaining and well put together than the Star Wars prequels. Even looking at them through the lens of "they're b-movies!" they suck.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yaws posted:

I watch a lot of B-Movies and many of them are far more entertaining and well put together than the Star Wars prequels. Even looking at them through the lens of "they're b-movies!" they suck.
They also have better dialogue.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

FlamingLiberal posted:

They also have better dialogue.

I want someone to find me a movie with worse romance and character chemistry than Attack of the Clones had between Anakin and Padme, I loving defy you to find anything worse.

Also amusingly enough for how bad it is at least the Clone Wars gave us some really amazing expanded universe stuff from the animated show which was 100% awesome to the CGI series which is pretty good and has some great homage episodes to Kurosawa, Godzilla, etc.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, man, the prequels. Such a massive part of my early adolescence; I consumed them completely uncritically when they came out and even though I recognise that they're deeply flawed movies, I don't think I can ever hate them.

It's the same way for a lot of the dreadful EU novels co was into around the same time; a lot of them are pretty bad but they have so many memories for me that they float around in the "so bad it's good" zone that's only visible when you're wearing nostalgia goggles. (That said, I would still stand by a lot of the comics that came out of the post-TPM era - especially Republic once John Ostrander starts writing it - as being objectively good.)

That said, I can't complain about Disney deciding to make a fresh start. It's been a long time coming, I think.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

You expect the romance to be 'good' when it is a relationship between a whiny child who has been thought of as the chosen one since childhood and a history of being a slave, and some dumb upper-class woman who's mostly grown up in big government and is bad at pretending to have emotions or understand poor people.

Similarly, Gone Girl also had awful romance but it seemed to do quite well with audiences. The only difference is people apparently expected a 'real' romance between a woman and Darth Vader.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Metal Loaf posted:

Oh, man, the prequels. Such a massive part of my early adolescence; I consumed them completely uncritically when they came out and even though I recognise that they're deeply flawed movies, I don't think I can ever hate them.

It's the same way for a lot of the dreadful EU novels co was into around the same time; a lot of them are pretty bad but they have so many memories for me that they float around in the "so bad it's good" zone that's only visible when you're wearing nostalgia goggles. (That said, I would still stand by a lot of the comics that came out of the post-TPM era - especially Republic once John Ostrander starts writing it - as being objectively good.)

That said, I can't complain about Disney deciding to make a fresh start. It's been a long time coming, I think.

I still love the Thrawn books. I have tried, but I can't un-love them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hbomberguy posted:

You expect the romance to be 'good' when it is a relationship between a whiny child who has been thought of as the chosen one since childhood and a history of being a slave, and some dumb upper-class woman who's mostly grown up in big government and is bad at pretending to have emotions or understand poor people.

Similarly, Gone Girl also had awful romance but it seemed to do quite well with audiences. The only difference is people apparently expected a 'real' romance between a woman and Darth Vader.

I'd argue the entire point of all three movies is expanding on Obi Wan's line that he WASN'T always Darth Vader and once was a good and noble man, so yes before he dons the black and starts slaughtering babies I expect him and his connections to behave like a normal, if not a good, human being.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hbomberguy posted:

Gone Girl was a story about a horrible relationship. Star Wars is a story about good magic space knights and evil magic space knights. While there's no real need for the story about magic space knights to have a good romance, there's got to be a reason to have a horribly dumb one. Just for shits and giggles isn't really a good reason.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

It's a pretty good cross-section of what is wrong with the society the Jedi helped to maintain for thousands of generations. The one Obi-Wan said was totally great. The one the Jedi essentially managed, totally unelected. The one that turned a blind eye to literal slavery.

Star Wars is not actually just about magic space knights. There are also draculas, and pagano-buddhi-christian philosophy. Oh and kermit's in there.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

don't forget the asthmatic robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hbomberguy posted:

It's a pretty good cross-section of what is wrong with the society the Jedi helped to maintain for thousands of generations. The one Obi-Wan said was totally great. The one the Jedi essentially managed, totally unelected. The one that turned a blind eye to literal slavery.

I legitimately don't think George is skilled enough to tell the kind of story you're dancing around here, anymore at least. Like, I just can't believe we're supposed to see the lovely 'romance' and utterly pants on head stupid Jedi and go 'oh he's trying to send a message about perceptions of the past and imply that Obi Wan was whitewashing history and poo poo'.

• Locked thread