Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Grant Kirkhope is a god damned treasure. Give him a world tour. Put him in Madison Square. Make him president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Midnight Reviews of The Croods and Olympus As Fallen
http://thecinemasnob.com/2013/03/24/midnight-screenings-the-croods-and-olympus-has-fallen.aspx
Brad had the flu, but surprisingly Jake and Irving like the movie they watched.

E: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/that-scifi-guy/the-league-of-inebriated-gentlemen/38714-the-lig-straub-american-amber

Even though I'm not a guy who wants to drink alcohol I really like this series by That Sci Fi Guy and hey look a beer made in my neck of the woods. Fun fact, they are the beer sponsors of the Its Alive Show who are a Pittsburgh Midnight show that plays old B/Horror movies and set up World Zombie Day.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 26, 2013

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Folding Ideas ditches the script for his End of Eva Follow Up. I haven't finished watching it yet, but it's mostly addressing things people brought up in response to the original video, End of Eva and the Audience Author Membrane, which is a pretty great analysis of a pretty.... uh, "controversial" movie.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Oh hey, a new critic thread!

Metal Loaf posted:

Obscurus Lupa has recently uploaded a two-part review covering the third season of Charmed.

I've been loving these Charmed reviews, since I actually saw a few eps (my mom used to watch it all the time), and even as an idiot kid I thought it was trash.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
New NC mini-ep discussing Princesses. :sparkles:

LFK
Jan 5, 2013
Phil does Grave Encounters 2

It takes the episode a few minutes to get going, but it's kinda to reenforce the point that the movie wastes a ton of time at the beginning just meandering around with useless filler crap.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Nothing mind blowing, but a refresher on why girls want to be princess instead of queens is always nice.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's Pokemon Movie time again! This time, it's 3.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

New El Topo Chico
http://thecinemasnob.com/2013/03/27/a-good-day-to-el-topo-chico.aspx
God Brad's arms freak me out for some reason :stonk:

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
There's a new Counter Monkey up, only on YT for now though, he doesn't seem to have updated his site.

The Jedi Hunter.

Edit: How to be a Glorious rear end in a top hat in Star Wars.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 28, 2013

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

I thought this video would boil my piss, but I ended up liking it a lot. His pro-Ariel comments made sense to me: she's an active character, though I also still agree with The Nostalgia Chick's point that Ariel gets out of all the trouble she's gotten herself into as well as everything she wants with minimal effort.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

I really hope they get these on a set schedule because drat these are some of my favorite reviews by them. All three of the guys are really funny together.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/music-movies-sgt-peppers-lonely-hearts-club-band/
Paw finishes Beatles month with a movie made 8 years after the Beatles broke up

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
New One Hit Wonderland--"Closing Time"

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/one-hit-wonderland-closing-time-6561029

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
There is some more Creepy, Obsessive Nerdlove for those of you who like MrBtongue, this time about Planescape: Torment. I wish he would do these in slightly longer episodes, as it feels as though he said nothing this time, which is a shame really. He wasted like two minutes asking about the Germans, which I feel, went nowhere fast.

However, I would like to see him do the full ME commentary he mentions at the end. I never had enough patience for the series, so, who knows, he might give me motivation to play through them.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

http://thecinemasnob.com/2013/03/29/midnight-screenings-gi-joe-retaliation-the-host--tyler-perrys-temptation.aspx
Midnight screenings of GI Joe, The Host, Tyler Perry

Sounds like Dave and Brian had a fun time.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Phelous reviewed "Jason Goes to Hell" in two parts. What a strange, strange movie.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
JesuOtaku released the next part of Anime Derby.

http://blip.tv/jesuotaku/anime-derby-winter-season-2013-r2p2-6560640

I hope she finds the thread again.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 30, 2013

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lupa's review of the fifth Witchcraft movie is up.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

JesuOtaku released the next part of Anime Derby.

http://blip.tv/jesuotaku/anime-derby-winter-season-2013-r2p2-6560640

I hope she finds the thread again.

I tweeted it at her yesterday, don't know if she saw it though.

I love it when Todd talks about good music, because I generally don't care to look for things I like, musically.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Super Bunnyhop did some really excellent coverage on this year's GDC. They're short videos, but rather impressive considering they were filmed, edited and uploaded on the fly, the conference only ended yesterday.

Day One
Day Two
Day Three
Day Four

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 21, 2014

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Jesto posted:

Nostalgia Chick & Nella discuss Stephanie Meyer's new shitheap, The Host! http://www.blip.tv/nostalgia-chick/the-host-2013-a-review-6561205

This review primarily discusses the godawfulness of the story, the condescending 'sci-fi for women' selling point and what a fantastically terrible impact it will have on women's lit movies for years to come.

I also hope Chick ditches the multiple camera angles switching around seemingly at random. They're kind of annoying.

Also, when people post links to new reviews in here, can they give a quick rundown about the review? Just seeing "(Critic) uploaded (Book/Movie/Game video)" doesn't exactly inspire much incentive to click. Say something you liked or disliked about the video.

This is the first movie I've seen to get an "F" in Entertainment Weekly in some time (yes, I read it.) The reviewer even said they don't have a Stephanie Meyer bias, it's just that the movie was just that boring and awful. It sucks because I like both of the female actresses in the movie, but it sounds like the script failed them.

I do disagree that they don't blame male actors for movies tanking- Taylor Kitsch got blamed for John Carter failing AND took flack for Battleship. Being an actor/actress must be like being a waiter- if the food sucks it's your fault even though you had nothing to do with the preparation- you're just delivering the product (with flair!)

e: agree on the multiple camera angles- I find them very distracting when reviewers do this. I don't need the quick jumps to keep my interest.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Jesto posted:

I also hope Chick ditches the multiple camera angles switching around seemingly at random. They're kind of annoying.
I really hope she doesn't take that advice to heart. The multiple cameras makes something like this way more palatable. It's far, far more professional than the typical vlog; 40 minute rambling single-frame vlogs are the worst and they probably alienate a lot of viewers. I mean, the multiple cameras give her editing points so that she can cut out all the "uuuuuuuuuuuuuh, yeah..... what happened..... oh, right, so" and "wait, I already said that, like, five times" without it all being haphazard jump cuts. You still get the natural, conversational tone without the cruft.

I'm actually really glad that more reviewers are bothering to care about this kind of stuff. It looks way less cheap.

Straight up I like Brad and his buddies, but as a great example pretty much every Midnight Screening could be half as long as it is with zero loss because they almost always have 2-4 core complaints that stuck out, and they hammer on those over and over. The repetition isn't strictly bad from a performance standpoint, since talking through things helps coalesce ideas, but I don't really need to see the entire compositional process.

Editing is a good thing.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Linsday and Nella's review of The Host is very much like a Half in the Bag review. Two persons drinking beer and shooting the poo poo about a film with mutliple camera cuts and angles. Obviously it's a popular template.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
My parents are in town to visit and I watched Brad's review of The Host with them in the room. They could not get over how much he swears. It all seems normal to me, but not to baby boomers.
So I told them, "Well I guess The Host really is that bad!"

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Personal content! I reviewed the epic period drama Gangs of New York. Bombastic? Overly ambitious? Well at least the acting was good.

LFK posted:

I really hope she doesn't take that advice to heart. The multiple cameras makes something like this way more palatable. It's far, far more professional than the typical vlog; 40 minute rambling single-frame vlogs are the worst and they probably alienate a lot of viewers. I mean, the multiple cameras give her editing points so that she can cut out all the "uuuuuuuuuuuuuh, yeah..... what happened..... oh, right, so" and "wait, I already said that, like, five times" without it all being haphazard jump cuts. You still get the natural, conversational tone without the cruft.

I'm actually really glad that more reviewers are bothering to care about this kind of stuff. It looks way less cheap.

Editing is a good thing.

Ok so I got a little bit of a complaint earlier in this thread for multiple angles, whereas previously I've only ever had positive feedback regarding multiple views. The thing is....a review show does tend to be talking heads. It's more like hosting a TV show rather than making a short film. You're going to be looking at the camera and talking, and you ARE going to gently caress you every now and again, especially if you don't have an autocue and you instead have..say, a script lying on the floor. You can either do jump cuts, rehearse everything so you can talk for more than a minute without stuffing up once, slurring even one word, or pausing (which is a lot harder than it sounds, particularly if your tone is less conversational and more information/analysis based) OR you can..do multiple takes and angles, which helps to keep the visual interest up and is less jarring and more professional looking than a basic jump cut. It's not that reviewers think viewers have ADHD, it's just a slightly more elegant solution than doing a jump cut, or slapping a fade to black or dissolve transition onto..footage of someone sitting in exactly the same place, which looks weird. Some people probably do want a more conversational, vloggy tone, but for my taste and the taste of a lot of other people, editing really is your friend, and any way you can think of to edit more smoothly is a help.

Yes, the more reviews you do, the more you'll be able to talk on-camera smoothly, even when delivering very long sentences, and bad and jumpy editing *can* be jarring, but...there is a reason why we do multiple angles.

Infamous Sphere fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 1, 2013

LFK
Jan 5, 2013
April Fool's Episodes

Welshy - Shameful Sequels: Harry Potter and the Woman in Black

Foldable Human - Otter Ideas: April Fool's

Rantasmo - Needs More Straight: Fight Club

Guru Larry - World's Greatest April Fool's Prank

Linkara - AT4W: Target $20 Lamp Review (Frankenstein Meets the Space Monster)

Spoony - Counter Monkey: Gary Gygax Interview (thanks Comrade Question)

Brad/Phelous - Marvel Universe: The Book of the Dead (Technically Phelous playing Linkara, but in Phelous land every day is April Fool's, and he does this kinda stuff all the time, so it's pretty much just Phelous.)

LFK fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 1, 2013

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

The Film Renegado Joins Channel Awesome! (Renegado covers Mexican-themed movies, and despite the fedora and the eye-watering green screen background, his show is good for a few laughs.)

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

You can add the new Counter Monkey to the list.

"Hey Oreo! Come over here and be as disruptive as possible!"

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

Also :nws: ChaosD1 - Snidequest: Scarlet Blade.

SkinCrawling fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 1, 2013

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

Well, what do you know! Spoony actually made two: Spoony & Lord British Play Ultima IX: Ascension

The Linkara themed spoof is apparently popular this year.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Leelee posted:

I do disagree that they don't blame male actors for movies tanking- Taylor Kitsch got blamed for John Carter failing AND took flack for Battleship. Being an actor/actress must be like being a waiter- if the food sucks it's your fault even though you had nothing to do with the preparation- you're just delivering the product (with flair!)

Since this is on topic of what's in the video, I'll address it. I think what her point was that if a sci-fi film with a dude in it bombs, Hollywood doesn't go "Oh, we can't put men in sci-fi films." But they do when they're led by women. There's still a huge stigma against female leads in Hollywood in many genres, and especially in sci-fi and fantasy. She went into this rather in depth, so I won't just repeat it, but for other examples, compare what happened when Batman and Robin failed, to what happened when Catwoman failed. In the case of the former, they blamed the quality of the film and just went back to make another Batman movie in a different style. Comic book films continued to be made. When Catwoman and Elektra bombed, Hollywood took it as a sign that men won't see films about female heroes and deep sixed all projects featuring female superheroes. There hasn't been a female led superhero film since 2005, when Elektra finished tanking. Nobody ever sat bat to think that maybe the reason the movies failed was because they were freaking terrible movies.

I'd rather not derail the thread, I'm just trying to explain what I think Lindsay was getting at in this particular video. I imagine Lindsay's fear in this case is that when The Host fails, Hollywood won't blame the awful movie, they'll go "Oh, the female fad is over. Back to more white guys!"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

LFK posted:

Straight up I like Brad and his buddies, but as a great example pretty much every Midnight Screening could be half as long as it is with zero loss because they almost always have 2-4 core complaints that stuck out, and they hammer on those over and over. The repetition isn't strictly bad from a performance standpoint, since talking through things helps coalesce ideas, but I don't really need to see the entire compositional process.

Editing is a good thing.

Yeah, there's a reason why I don't usually watch the Midnight Screening episodes, they're kind of a commitment.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't know if anyone saw it, but apparently Linkara's fans were going after Phelous on Twitter for making fun of Linkara in his April Fool's episode. They somehow weren't smart enough to get the joke that this wasn't being done maliciously. It's even stranger considering Linkara is IN that episode.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
The Nostalgia Critic takes on Catwoman

Good lord, what a horrid movie. NC's rant about the flaws of :byodame: Male Academia :byodame: really proved how stupid this 'empowering' movie is about making its points. I've seen Deviantart drawings that were more 'feminist' than this piece of crap.

Also, as the skits prove, high heels are a stupid shoe for fighting in.

Violet_Sky fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 3, 2013

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't know if anyone saw it, but apparently Linkara's fans were going after Phelous on Twitter for making fun of Linkara in his April Fool's episode. They somehow weren't smart enough to get the joke that this wasn't being done maliciously. It's even stranger considering Linkara is IN that episode.

I don't think the average TGWTG viewer understands things as "subtle" as that.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Catwomen review was kind of meh. Movie wasn't interestingly terrible, and the subplot was mostly cringe-worthy. Doug is definitely putting in effort with new NC, but it seems hit and miss.

Still better than a lot of old NC.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/guruandwez/fycw/38807-movie-mistakes-jurassic-park
drat I didn't know about all these errors in this movie except for the robot egg hand disappearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Maremidon posted:

Catwomen review was kind of meh. Movie wasn't interestingly terrible, and the subplot was mostly cringe-worthy. Doug is definitely putting in effort with new NC, but it seems hit and miss.

Still better than a lot of old NC.

There's only really two consistent criticisms I'd have with the new NC. One is the fact that whenever he starts the review and says "helloooooooo, I'm the Nostalgia Critic", he wobbles his head around like one of those bobble-head figurines, for no reason at all. For some reason it really bothers me.

Another is that I do think the sketches are a bit too long, especially the "Ad" sequences which he seems to be doing recently (the catwoman review didn't so much have an "ad" but the bit where the counsellor escaped from the tiger went on and on and on.)

My favourite sketch in Catwoman was the reference to the high heels. That was one thing that really bugged me about Catwoman in The Dark Knight Rises - the fact that she was still so overtly sexed up, and that Nolan appears to be terrible at writing female characters, without making them Sexy Evil Women with impossible-to-wear high heels. I know Catwoman has always been sexed up, so it's pretty silly to complain about, but still. I'm not going to blame it on Male Academia though.

• Locked thread