Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????

Rebochan posted:

Doesn't surprise me, he pretty much despises everything Uncharted and its the same team.

The real surprise would have been if he liked it.

...I honestly don't watch him anymore. I already figured out awhile back he doesn't know a lot about successful game design, he just has very specific things he likes in games and relentlessly trashes anything that doesn't have them. Then again, I don't watch most video game-related shows or vlogs anymore, even Extra Credits (too pretentious), Let's Plays (see Retsupurae as to why), and Spoony (nuff said). Frankly, if I did start coming to this thread, I actually never would have even heard of Game Grumps.

HAWP is it for me, and its largely because it's a serious of short and hilarious skits that are tangentially gaming related.
He liked similar games like Bioshock Infinite and The Walking Dead game, but I guess the only good critic is the one that always agrees with me %100 of the time

What I took away from that review is that it's yet another AAA game with an innate divide between story and gameplay. Must drive writers insane, trying to write around the tight confines of the two or three AAA archetypes that aren't considered huge risks in the current state of the industry

That's why the trend towards more serious character driven stories with the addition of Hollywood writers sounds like a recipe for disaster. At least James Gunn had the right kind of mindset when he worked on Lollipop Chainsaw, we'll see what happens with Stephen Gaghan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006

Oh my god, that Red 2 interview clip with Bruce Willis is a treasure :allears:

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

The contrast between Spoony's original SWAT 4 videos and the current ones is startling. I get that it's a livestream, but he seriously acts like this whole thing he does is a chore now. You don't see that same passion you saw like 3 or so years ago.
I don't really get this, I think there's just different expectations with casual livestream blind let's plays vs his typical scripted jokes for 20 minutes with editing. The last Swat 4 video was a pretty funny, heavily edited 4-minute clipshow with a flat out apology for how lovely and boring the last couple Swat 4 videos were. I'd be surprised if he uploads any more.

Maybe he's still acting like a child on twitter, I stopped following him forever ago, but I liked his recent VCR board game videos and the Minority Report review and that's been enough to put him back in my good graces. I'll take the skippable low effort filler over the cringe-worthy videos from his meltdown period, (Ultima 9 :gonk:, Final Fantasy, The Ring was pretty bad too) any day.

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006

Kunster posted:

Recently I got to read Super Mario Bros 3: Brick by Brick, the book by MovieBob.

It felt like a chore to read. He doesn't acknowledge that game analysis level by level hasn't been done before (and better), appointing himself to be the pioneer. He messes up grammar and sentence structure a few times. He takes TWO MONTHS to finish Super Mario Brothers 3. At some point he compares watching The Wizard to 9/11. He doesn't show much his other strengths on this, only putting a few references here and there to media (To show an example, here's BrainEater's Gamera Review). His analysis is really base at best, to the point you can tell he didn't bother to boot up a rom of Doki Doki Panic to fool around with other than quote it over and over again. The In-Betweens during the play through come across as awkward, writing about a dying grandmother in the midst of milquetoast game analysis.

I tried to read it with an open mind given how much issues I had with MovieBob, but even ignoring my grievances with the guy I had an hard time trying to scrape something remarkable from this.
Anyone who's interested in this subject should check out Drsparkle's Chrontendo blog. It's really well done, he chronicles every game released for the NES, Turbografx, and Sega consoles, and also puts the games into a wider historical context. It's done in three formats, a text version on his blog, a youtube series, and a 60fps version hosted on archive.org.

The video series is easily 100+ hours long at this point, so here's some random excerpts:
A brief look at the Computer Games of 1987
The complete legal clusterfuck that was Tetris
From Chronturbo Episode 2,The very first ever wave of ridiculous games on CD
1988 Arcade Roundup

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I can't get too upset, Rifftrax themselves voiced a similar sentiment when Sharknado was big on twitter. Frank Conniff, (who not only played TV's Frank on MST3K, but also was the guy who chose which movies they did) absolutely loathes everything about Sharknado, but he's really mad at most things these days.

On the other hand, Kevin Murphy said this awhile ago about Syfy movies -

Kevin Murphy posted:

Speaking of depressing...What do you think of this sort of trend of SyFy original animal mash-up movies like Sharknado and the like? Would you ever take any of those on?

We would if we found the right one that wasn't...aggressively dumb? You know, intentionally dumb? I like them, because they're kind of a throwback to B-movies from the 50s--a lot of the movies like we did on Mystery Science Theater. They were campy by intent. The SyFy channel is sort of carrying on a tradition.

Which makes a lot of sense to me. From what I've seen Sharknado it's not bad comedy, but cynical, intentionally lazy filmmaking. It's not all that different from the terrible drive-in movies from the 50's. "Teenagers from Outer Space? What's the point of making fun of that, it's a joke to begin with!"

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006

Kunster posted:

Not only insulted her, but got his fanbase to go scream at her to get bombed.
Lest we forget, this is the same fanbase that sent Jontron and his gf death threats for leaving a youtube LP series. Not really two to be conflated. That's the silver lining, that he actually apologized and backed off when he realized he was acting dumb instead of listening to his slavishly devoted fans 'out for sjw blood'

The fact he wrote a block of dry, unformatted text essentially saying "how dare you make fun of me if hospitals are being bombed :cry:" and sat back and thought heh this'll put the critics in their place got a laugh out of me. I don't know if that makes him a bad person as much as an idiot.

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
Well, it was fun defending Jontron while it lasted

Help the internet is literally lynching me

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006

Gyges posted:

It's only worth laughing at if you dive deep into the dumbest loving nerd war to ever be fought on the fields of Twitter. You've got to stare deep into the abyss and only look away just before it looks back. That's where the Event Horizon of funny is in this. A situation where MRA's look like the sane ones for whole minutes at a time. Where those fighting the misogynistic hoards of slut shamers wistfully refer to how much more respectable ISIS is. Where people care deeply about the journalistic integrity of gaming news, and totally not because now there's sex involved. Where a 5000 word text dumb from a bitter ex is one of the most reasonable blogs/tumblers/tweets in the whole mess.

Pure madness where there are no winning moves, not even not to play. The comedy of the absurd laying just before madness.

It's actually not funny at all

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006

Violet_Sky posted:

Yeah, I don't really know how to feel about the whole Zoe Quinn thing. On one hand feminism shouldn't be used as an excuse to be a complete shitheel, but I feel that people are being more vocal about hating feminism/social justice poo poo because of a few morons on tumblr. :sigh:

Maybe I should follow Kim's example and leave the Internet for a while.
Someone had to go into hiding because of threats on their life because of a crazy ex's attempts to 'get back' at his girlfriend. The situation is really no more complicated than that. Who the gently caress cares what nobodies on twitter :airquote: debate :airquote:

Stink Fuck Rob fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 1, 2014

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
Well you see if you boil it down, the Zoe Quinn controversy is ultimately the age-old argument of Free Speech vs Censorship :smug:

(This is a thing Yahtzee actually said)

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006

beep by grandpa posted:

If you honestly think either side of GamerGate is really about what they say it is about and not both sides using hot, salacious drama as their tool to push their dumbass, misguided agendas like the parasites they are, you have a lot to learn about people :eng101:

Just sit back and enjoy the loudest windbags try to out-moral-indignation each other.

:ironicat:

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
"He was hurting" haha give me a loving break

He was trying to get back at his Ex by feeding the fires of controversy that already existed around Zoe Quinn (pretty much for just existing). He is a bad, bad person for doing so.

You still seem to think that some legitimate evidence of 'serious journalistic corruption' came out of that whole mess so please, go on, tell us what it's all about :allears:

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's almost like the very core of this 'movement' is pure misogyny/general bigotry and rage that anyone ever says 'maybe don't be the literal worst'.

Also if you want some easy way to read this poo poo, install that word replace extension and replace 'gamer' with 'gremlin' and 'SJW' with 'skeleton'. It's way more fun to read about gremlingate and hear impotent rage against the skeletons ruining gaming.
Is there a firefox version of this?

All I'm going to say: Totalbiscuit is the biggest goddamn moron on the planet. Interesting how his spiel about "true gamergater" is just him describing himself in the third person. Finally a whole movement that agrees with everything I've been saying for years! Oh, all those people saying horrific poo poo or things I don't agree with? Just a vocal minority, I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
2014 in games was a shitshow. The console platform war entrenchment is now back in full swing, now with widespread industry and fan backlash towards any studio that doesn't have the money and staff to keep up with the new demands of production values.

The new Dragon Age was a forgettable pile of poo poo, and expectations of AAA RPGs have reached the point where Obsidian will likely never get an opportunity to work with a major publisher to make a game like New Vegas ever again.
:ghost:

Meanwhile, Ubisoft is so fundamentally broken that they can't even make Tetris.

• Locked thread