Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

So that's the thread ended up at! Alright, usual reminder from me to anyone not look at Josh Hadley's writing specially his facebook if you don't want to pop a vein at its sheer vileness, and regarding JonTron and Egoraptor's separation on the GG, I hope this makes him improve now that he doesn't have Arin to ground him down and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

They've been like that for years tho. Brad and co. will attach themselves to some complaint and drain it until it becomes a salt mummy which when Hadley consumes, hoping to contain whatever bile inside him for a few extra weeks without turning Springfield, XXXX into some sort of Ground Zero, with the survivors uttering about Coal Black being a national treasure and how 21 JumpStreet is the most sensible presentation of human society ever.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 25, 2013

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Violen posted:

I tend to begin and end my relationship with internet critics at the videos so it is a ghost smilie.

Which I'd agree if he didn't pour this into his work as well.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Don't you even DARE to mention this to Blip contributors as its the worst possible thing you can ever do to a human being, next to voting 1 on their faulty buggy MEME Smilies app (time at 22:41 in) on google play.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Idran posted:

What's with the ridiculous hyperbole? They ask people to stop mentioning it to them because there's literally nothing they can do about it, and so there's no point in mentioning it to them; Blip decides what ads to use, not the contributors. It'd be like if you got a pop-up ad in this thread and you told the thread OP about it instead of the admins.

I would be ok with this if there weren't ads that messed up the system and that there wasn't an equally hyperbolic reaction to folk pointing it out.

The problem with The Darkest Hour is that it probably got two of the best people on the site on dealing with feedback and harassment (Mainly Lupa and Linkara), whose contributions were decent, but then painted everything else with honestly either bland or outright condescending and even insulting feedback and advice. I pointed out the example because of how terrible it was both conceptually and visually.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

So, remember that half second shot at the end on the previous Phelous review? It alluded to this. Somewhat NWS, given its a Jacob's Letter review.

I'm keeping this vague since stuff happens on it.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 31, 2013

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Bff2, You've been missing out!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Checkers!!!! NOO!!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Of all people, Doug Walker shouldn't call Sailor Moon annoying. Also, he's doing that thing again where he talks over women on how to properly act and have sexual desires again. And misses big gently caress off plot points that couldn't more spelled out harder if Takeuchi herself wasn't screaming on his ear the plot to the entire thing.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 7, 2013

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Oh God he does that as well. To a show that slam dunks MLP in terms of "so hey let's do something geared towards women" that unlike the horse_cartoon it didn't turn into "hey let's play up to whatever grown up dude audience we got here!".

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The first I think.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

And even on that he fucks up (Independence Day with BOOMER!!!, Signs with "how come a traumatized child isn't shrieking in horror" and Double Team with "why would anyone whose child got shot by the protagonist's team would feel rambly and droney")

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Given he hasn't uploaded in a week or two and his twitter feed was only used to tell folk about Lupa's cat being on the hospital and then dying, something tells me he either has something big brewing or he would rather take a big break from this. Then again he's being jokish about it sooo its probably a matter of waiting.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

I really can't say anything bad about Joe now since I found out about PewDiePie.

At this point I'm less bummed about PDP having a larger audience and more bummed that folk use him as a crutch to be worse because "hey, not as bad as PDP". To the point of going "loving PDP, doing hosed up jokes", and then minutes later making GBS threads on lgbt folk and making minutes long prison rape jokes or screaming so loud that the microphone clips for minutes to no end on lp goon streams and in lps themselves. Meanwhile I go check on PDP, see that he did a Pom Gets Wifi lp, and get surprised that he can keep his poo poo together and made the whole thing a semi-pleasant experience. This is not in any way a defense of the fellow, more as a wish for others to clean up on their act or at least not be as bad or even worse than the guy. (I mean poo poo, you had that newgrounds animator's gently caress pdp vid right there)

Kunster fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 25, 2013

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Yes, one that he reviewed like, 3 times thanks to constant footage overuse to the point it became a sight gag that he stuck on a good part of other reviews as well.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Infamous Sphere posted:

I have to say I'm in some kind of agreement with this, although it's a bit harshly worded and I've gotten trouble in this thread before for being too personally critical. I do think Venn's interjections..don't necessarily work the way that Kyle intends them to, seeing as people mostly watch the show for Kyle, and not for Venn. In regards to undermining Kyle's ability to give an informed opinion - it too, did feel a bit forced and crappy, since..after all, it's an opinion. I'm assuming this was Kyle's attempt at covering his arse, but I think it's fine to have an opinion on how good a film is, when it isn't about people exactly like you. After all, it's an opinion - a brief statement of how other people might have different views, and he can't speak for LGBT women would be sufficient enough.

I think after the Honey BooBoo Fake Symhpathy video where he pits her along with sideshow freaks and the segment where he whined at the mentally disabled for finding the Tropic Thunder "Retard" discussion to be somewhat objectionable in word choice he's trying at least give more of a genuine poo poo about trying to find the gender perspective on this artistic thingy that happens to be fap material, specially since that Ven's genderqueer and non straight I think. Not to mention they cowrote rather than just Kyle calling most of the shots and Ven giving a hand here and there. If that means less "Oh, I think I can be a jackass about this particular subject after a lot of this and that", that's fine by me.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I really wish web artist folk would stop leaning of the "heh, I'll get poo poo for it anyway from oversensitive pussies :smug:" clause, given that it tends to be a crutch on both their craft and relationship to the audience. He's getting better at handling stuff like this, and hopefully he'll find a less clunky or awkward way of addressing stuff like this in the future.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Lindsey, Andrew Dickman, Phil Buni and a few others had bouts of it a few months ago. Yeah Brad Jones is the worst about it. I guess I tend to be harsh with folk if they try to push the envelope and are vocal about it, and not out of spite and more like someone who wants them to keep growing. I've seen this happen to doodlers and lpers and it ain't pretty to look at.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I'm harsh because they point to these standards from outbursts but then rather than go or even attempt to them, they just pewter around.

Jay O posted:

Naw man. Naaaaaw man, that affects plenty of internet "critics," but Kyle, no way. Kyle has precisely the *opposite* problem of this. He does his best to address every alternate viewpoint and potential rebuttal before it arises, which is an instinct I have too, so I get it...but it can hurt his work and make it seem suppressed or directionless at worst, which I really hate to say was in full force in his latest video. :( I hope he tackles something he's more passionate about next time, which may help. He said himself he thought the movie was mediocre and then seemed too afraid to make a definitive statement on it, so he left it to Ven and...yeah. I don't think it played.

My issues was less with himself and how more there were times where he bonked into those sorts of walls only to be drowned with "No, it's fine, it's just oversensitiveness of everyone else!". It's good that he recently STOPPED riding the wave so much and go for other sources, even if sometimes he reblogs sycohpants or doesn't see the same massage of disdain on other media he likes so much like the Sorkin poo poo or Idiocracy.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 6, 2013

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Check his twitter where he talks about this (scroll down a little) and then evaluate the general TGWTG's response to Aaron Sorkin's The NewsRoom and Idiocracy. I feel its rather hypocritical to bash a show that outright spells out what it is and ended up negotiating a good deal between the family (The money goes right to a college fund for BooBoo herself and the check went to more utilitarian stuff like a van) and then ignore or even endorse other more insidious ways of insulting or outright loving over poor people.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

It's classist, but there was a more through investigation and negotiation between the family and TLC so that it wouldn't be worse than what it is, hence why I pointed out how the payment ordeal went (It wasn't just "oh, they're being responsible", it was that it was specifically demanded that this would help their situation without being able to sit on said money). The NewsRoom however does the line of the "easily mentally exploitated poor right wing viewers (and occasional uppity strawman for the sake of "equality"" and Fox News vs the *enlightened pseudo-MSNBC mainstream liberals* who then take down people who care too much about holding the same standards and end up saying stupid poo poo like "WE SHOULD GO BACK TO THE 1950's, STRAWMEN" on a speech that gets on a gif set and shared by nearly everyone not getting just how messed up as a concept it is.

I'm not saying it's bad to insult HoneyBooBoo, but it rubs me the wrong way without a general acknowledgement that a lot of other media likes to use that same cudgel and target, like someone trying to decry sexism in rap music without acknowledging it on other media forms.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 7, 2013

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Kyle has a goat to pick with that gosh darned "kunsthuis" word!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

cubs2084 posted:

What are you talking about? That's the link to his old show trailer, and no mention of such a thing was made.

Blip Tv was acting up and rather than give me the actual link to the drat new video, it immediately gave me the link to the "next" video, which was his first.

This is the actual link, as Senerio pointed out. Whoops!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

prahanormal posted:

I liked him a while ago, mainly because I skipped all his Glee reviews and shut off the Invader Zim review the second he started talking about ponies. Once this thread started pointing out those episodes I dropped him pretty quick.

That's because its the second part of his defense of watching the show, which would be cool if it was "This is a good show that happens to be for little girls" but instead it has jewels like "this show isn't for kids because there's a fire breathing dragon and there's a cameo of some movie I watched."

(I still feel that the Utena review Jay O did with Oan kind of glossed over some stuff that could have been explained easily, like the car transformation sequence being a thing about becoming a woman and such rather than "welp, that sure was weird".)

Kunster fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 22, 2013

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

And Errant Signal has a look at the response to Carolyn Pitt's review of GTA V and about gamers wanting to keep politics out of video games. http://www.errantsignal.com/blog/?p=582

I really dug this! I just didn't post it before because I thought you guys had already posted it.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Numberfour posted:

EDIT: Oh and also on the topic of Radiodrome, I'm the guy who is taking over the regular spot since Brad left. Sad to see him go but I'm sure his new show will be another monster hit.

Has Josh Hadley gotten any less repulsive as a human being in 2013? I mean I know he's like the hidden cog on that machine and that a good part of the The Cinema Snob and all wouldn't be a thing without him, but he has he gotten any better or is looking at his facebook a good sign I should still be away from anything where he gets to talk most of the time?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I wasn't even aware Kimble Justice posted here! I can't watch your take on Gone Home atm, but given how you tackled dys4ia, I'm sure you did an excellent job with it.

ACS posted:

He's the same as he's always been. Stay far away.

Hidden cog? All Josh does on The Cinema Snob is Radiodrome. I wouldn't consider that being a "good part" of Brad's output. It's only one podcast that Brad misses half of the time.

From his posturing I thought he was his Mike Mattei, if Mike Mattei got angry about guard rails being on canyons, the existence of handicapped parking places, artists getting a wage, Al-Jazeera being a thing, the Amazing Athiest being blocked from being on tgwtg, wept about bodies being processed and treated on site rather than just leave the corpse to teach everyone some hosed up life lesson and overly praised Uwe Boll for blackface and weak unprepared critics (while forgetting that he specifically skipped Seanbaby when learning he worked out and knew some martial arts).

Oh, and the comment section hating him for not being bigoted enough, if we go by his parody account. The only net positive is like the interviews and how he replies to mails, so in a way he's like GuyBrush Threepwood in terms of human decency instead of piratey prowness.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Oh God, the Extra Credits people are doing a game based series on how to fix the current politics system. If you want to hear Yakko Warner say the most boring, "maybe the answer is in the middle" loving tripe about the current US Politics matters then there's already 3 episodes of that.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

Also Crispin Glover getting pissed at Kyle

I do recall Kyle saying Crispin Glover was polite when requesting his removal of the What Am I review, and it was more of a courtesy case rather than a major lawsuit threat.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

There's a New 101 Wacky Kids Jokes video from RLM.

Oh no. Yet another segment where Rich Evans is again acting all wacky and traumatized in the end. Woohoo.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Kyle Kalgren takes on Tiny Furniture. It's less about the movie and more about Lena Dunham and MumbleCore.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Yeah, at first I thought I wasn't going to enjoy this video given the subject matter, but he managed to spin something rather endearing and positive ribbing given that nearly everyone on that site and circle is the Nietzichean Cowboy.

Another Cabin Fever movie? Phelous pokes at it!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Oh man, Phelous taking on a Famiclone? This is gonna be interesting.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

My standards for otaku terribleness are a bit higher than that given how the waifu types at this point are more of a cartoonish yard stick for let's say, the "I'm an otaku, not a weeaaboo" types or the "Don't you even bring up a social matter on my favourite show, go apply it to stuff I don't like it instead" types to point at and use it as a excuse to not take a good look at themselves.

Been enjoying Phelous's foray into pirate carts, to the point He managed to do a rather neat April Fool's video out of them!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Jon's a grown manchild that will jerk himself off over wacky "Hitler's K/D ratio" jokes tho. Seeing him ramble on twitter on how he was a psychology puppet master for making people yell at him a few months back with Total "Gazillion IQ Fantasy Misogyny CUMING RIGHT INTO THIS TOP HAT BOITISH MAAITE" Biscuit was honestly souring.

Recently I got to read Super Mario Bros 3: Brick by Brick, the book by MovieBob.

It felt like a chore to read. He doesn't acknowledge that game analysis level by level hasn't been done before (and better), appointing himself to be the pioneer. He messes up grammar and sentence structure a few times. He takes TWO MONTHS to finish Super Mario Brothers 3. At some point he compares watching The Wizard to 9/11. He doesn't show much his other strengths on this, only putting a few references here and there to media (To show an example, here's BrainEater's Gamera Review). His analysis is really base at best, to the point you can tell he didn't bother to boot up a rom of Doki Doki Panic to fool around with other than quote it over and over again. The In-Betweens during the play through come across as awkward, writing about a dying grandmother in the midst of milquetoast game analysis.

I tried to read it with an open mind given how much issues I had with MovieBob, but even ignoring my grievances with the guy I had an hard time trying to scrape something remarkable from this.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 20, 2014

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

There's a point where the quality improves, which makes me think there was a point where he didn't even have a copywriter or remembered he had a background in Film. Until then it's crap like "The Wizard was my personal 9/11" and not bothering to notice that Amaterasu wasn't a "Fox God", which gets really jarring when you notice he bothered to look at Kappas and Ksitigarbha. I'm mentioning the Fox God segment since he could have added an aside about said "unknown flying game"

It doesn't help he keeps going on about it being THE GOLDEN AGE OF VIDEOGAMES either. It's a love letter to SMB3, but for a love letter it doesn't go deeper than a few ganders on a strategy guide and the occasional reminder that He Watched Movies And Read Arthur Conan Doyle once.

Stink gently caress Rob posted:

Anyone who's interested in this subject should check out Drsparkle's Chrontendo blog. It's really well done, he chronicles every game released for the NES, Turbografx, and Sega consoles, and also puts the games into a wider historical context. It's done in three formats, a text version on his blog, a youtube series, and a 60fps version hosted on archive.org.

The video series is easily 100+ hours long at this point, so here's some random excerpts:
A brief look at the Computer Games of 1987
The complete legal clusterfuck that was Tetris
From Chronturbo Episode 2,The very first ever wave of ridiculous games on CD
1988 Arcade Roundup

There was discussion on the previous thread about Chrontendo, and recently Sparkle has been sooooort of trying to get back to posting videos. And as another example, check the RetroNaut Pocket episode where they have him on and he talks on how progressive rock was a thing on videogame soundtracks.

Re Brad Jones: Given his stance on Michael MedVed and The Razzies, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a tripod or geocities page laying around with a way younger version of him with reviews, in response to trying to find something to counter act both of those.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 20, 2014

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Oh hey I wasn't aware Josh Hadley and Brad Jones' hero for boxing unfit movie critics and putting some random guy in blackface Uwe Bowl made a third In The Name Of The King.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Yes, that's where more or less the third one is sort of based on.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Cyron posted:

and that why he put 3 of his films on his worst films of the year list in 2011?

His opinion got a hell lot more brighter after the RadioDrome Uwe Boll interview! I'm not saying this should have been a piece where they dragged him through the mud, but them being fanboyish after the interview really tells a lot.

(And Brad saying he's not bigoted because he called the Chuck Berry scene on Back To the Future Racist kind of proves my point. "Hmmm, my friend won't stop demonizing black people, says that n****r isn't a racial slur, stated being afraid of black churches for potential *reverse racism*, shits on handicapped places saying it will lead to priveledged black and gay parking places, calls Al-Jazeera a honeypot of terrorism and anti-americanism, defended Michael Savage over screaming at a gay guy to go get AIDS, his facebook page has him saying that Save The Pearls is a good commentary on racial politics, defended the gently caress out of George Zimmerman and this could go on, but one time, one time only he made a Cracked-type "progressive" quib which negates every single ounce of bigotry that could exist on that bo- MY GOD PURE IDEOLOGY)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I didn't gather that, I thought he was being vaguely apologetic or something.

(He still holds Uwe Bowl at a higher standard than 2011.)

• Locked thread