Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Are there any good reviewers that do in depth looks at Video Games? Something along the lines of Extra Credits but more talking about games themselves than The Industry/Making games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's probably a combination of cost, and they have also lost several prominent people since last year (Spoony, JewWario, others).

Was JewWario considered prominent? I never watched his stuff.

This week, Zero Punctuation looks at The Last Of Us He wasn't as thrilled about it as other people have been.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Maremidon posted:

They don't get brought up a lot, but Retsupurae just closed out their look at the Ambition series of flash games and I'd recommend watching that series of videos if you haven't. It's a wild and :psyduck: ride through a tale told by an idiot, signifying nothing.

Holy crap, I remember these from when I was in high school. They sucked.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Jimbot posted:

This was posted on the RedLetterMedia's Facebook.

Yesssss.

Come on Internet!

Sage's new review is about Devilman

I might regret it, but now I need to know. What the hell is Violence Jack?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 17, 2013

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Honestly, It's a bit unfair to compare anyone's production values to RLM. They are basically a indy production studio at this point.

Edit: Just finished watching Dragonbored. I liked it.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 25, 2013

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

JO posted a LP of a visual novel she was given at a con called Fading Hearts. She claims it's The Room of Visual Novels. It's trying to get onto Steam Green light so I think we all need to do our duty and make sure it makes it!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

If anyone cares, Uncle Yo (The Main Character from Dragonbored) had Rob Walker on his podcast We Are The Geek this week. They talk about Dragonbored, Demo Reel, The Uncanny Valley and future projects for the site.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

So who want's to see Spoony and Benzai riff on a hentai game?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Maremidon posted:

:catstare:

About how creepy is this video?

Don't know, I just turned it on.

Edit: Yeah, it's getting there. It's like a scene from American Pie.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 8, 2013

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Just when you thought it was safe to dust off thoes old VHSs...The Wheel Of The Worst RETURNS!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

dsriggs posted:

Shoji Tabuchi lives to "entertain" another day.

Out of curiosity I decided to see if I can find anything on it. The guy is a country violin player who runs the show from his theater in Branson, Missouri which has been going since 1990.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 9, 2013

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

LordPants posted:

Film is better if you saw the leaked copy. Then it goes from "So bad it's good" -> "Downright amazing".

What's the difference between the two versions?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

The Nostalgia Chick is posting a new set of videos, this time focusing on 90s adaptations of old TV shows. First up The Adams Family

Edit: Wasn't there a MST3K Skit where they say that the Adams Family and The Munsters were the only "Normal" TV Family in the 50s and the 60s?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 21, 2013

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

echopapa posted:

Blip.tv has been sold to PewDiePie's agent.

BRB, going to go dub me screaming "RAPE!!!" over all my videos.

Uhhh...this might need to be explained me. :confused:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Rebochan posted:

Weird timing on this - I actually just started watching the 60s series recently and was kind of floored by how out of the norm it was for its era.

I never saw the film's sequel, but I seem to recall hearing it was funnier than the first film. I'll be interested to see if she's going to hit up on any of the other "classic TV shows turned into movies" films though. Technically, she already did Wild Wild West (though that wasn't a sitcom.)

It still was kind of out of the norm until recently. A lot of family sitcoms still rely on the stupid but in charge husband-largely ignored but bossy wife dynamic. The last one I can think of that did this was According to Jim. The only difference is that they acknowledge their sex life. Maybe Mike and Molly, but that's more about a married couple just starting out. I don't keep up with TV so maybe someone else can give better examples.

Does the old Adams Family TV show still hold up? I kind of want to watch it now.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 22, 2013

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I really can't say anything bad about Joe now since I found out about PewDiePie.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I like Joe because him and I tend to have similar opinions on games, but I can't get behind all his Corporate Commander and other gimicky stuff as well.

The New 52 is still hated, and there isn't much aside from what he pointed out that's all that liked, cept maybe Wonder Woman. I can't remember if he mentioned WW, but unlike all of those it's all I can think of that's well liked, doing good, and hasn't been canceled or otherwise hosed up. I think Green Arrow also got a new writer people liked.

One More Day I think gets special permission to still be angry over, because Linkara really liked Mary Jane and Peter's marriage, and they still aren't married, so it's effect is still there, but yeah, he should probably try moving on.

I gave up on the single issues and follow the trades now, Animal Man and Swamp Thing were great I though. I will never understand though what the hell Linkara sees in Gail Simone's Batgirl though. That was just an annoying title to read through. Edit: Unless It got better after the first few issues.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 26, 2013

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I must find The Amazing Bulk. :stare:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

dijon du jour posted:

Huh. I did not know that George of the Jungle was a sitcom adaption. I loved that movie as a kid.

It was an old cartoon from the 60s. It was made by the same people who made Rocky and Bullwinkle.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Rebochan posted:

Shameful Sequels: Honey I Blew Up The Kid!

More MikeJ! And one of the rare shameful sequels he's covered that I've actually seen.

...and at the end, is he planning to do Honey I Shrunk the Audience?!

How do you review a 3D ride from Epcot? :confused:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcMlgSWYENo
I love the little skits with Joe riding those tiny little cars

Oh crap. Joe's going to get a flood of angry comments for his final score.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 30, 2013

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Rebochan posted:

Nostalgia Critic tackles The Shining mini-series

I've been skipping most of his stuff lately, but I figured I'd dip in since he was taking more shots at Stephen King. Also, Stephen King's mini-series definitely sucked from the ones I did actually see. Nice to see foamy guy from Avatar becoming a regular in this series.

With the exception of the white face joke with Malcolm at the end, I thought it was pretty funny.

What was the "Zoom Mothafucka" line from anyway? It's one of his regular jokes and I never figured out where it started.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I actually never watched any of AVGN's stuff before, are there any episodes in particular I should look at?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Behonkiss posted:

http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/40954-sharknado

I guess this was inevitable: NC reviews Sharknado (With help from Cinema Snob).

It is kind of pointless to review a movie like this. (Or anything from the Aslyum really unless it was going to be a regular thing.) Although I thought it was pretty funny. The Wicked Witch joke was the best I think.

Edit: It's been awhile since I watched MythBusters. I take it the later episodes were terrible?

S-Alpha posted:

Looks like the Red Letter Media guys have started up a new segment, probably to make up for them being really busy lately: Quick Cuts, apparently for small little quick reviews of films they can't really fit into their normal rotation. For their first episode, they're starting of with Escape From Tomorrow, aka that film that everyone is surprised hasn't led to legal action on Disney's part.

I dunno, I don't really care too much for this segment, mainly because I think RLM are at their best when they have the guys play off each other. Or at least have Rich Evans laughing for ten minutes.

I liked the segment. Since RLM doesn't have a set schedule, this is a great way for them to do reviews of movies that they want to talk about but probably don't have the material for or don't want to do for Half in The Bag. Sometimes I just like hearing a reviewers real opinions without any kind of character or skit tied to it.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 16, 2013

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Lets talk about not lovely reviewrs.

There is a new AVGN, looking at Alien 3. It's honestly not very good. http://cinemassacre.com/2013/10/22/alien-3-angry-video-game-nerd/

And Errant Signal has a look at the response to Carolyn Pitt's review of GTA V and about gamers wanting to keep politics out of video games. http://www.errantsignal.com/blog/?p=582

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

CynCyanide posted:

In his next review, Todd will complain that Lionel Richie's "Dancing on the Ceiling" is terrible primarily because you can't really dance on a ceiling unless you're in a zero-gravity environment.

Not really, I think his problem with Dancing ont he ceiling was that it was Lionel Richie doing a party song. Did he even ever do an actual review of it? All I remember is 10 seconds in his 1987 review.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

LordPants posted:

I just caught up on the Best of the Worsts. My god, the end of the Amazing Bulk where they just sit there in stunned silence is amazing. :allears:

Mike's face at the final chase scene to that movie always gets me.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I'm not entirely sure this belongs here but Gamespot started doing "Other Takes", senond looks at games the site has reviewed. This time they had Brett Todd, Mayor of Prescott, Ontario Canada review the new Sim City I thought it was interesting.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

So I talked about season 7 of Charmed for 2 hours. I'm sorry.
(I'm not sorry)

http://olpresents.blogspot.com/2013/11/manic-episodes-charmed-season-7.html

:stare: I thought you wen't a little nuts on season 6, how is there more you could say about this show? Although honestly I started to zone out towards the end of your 6 review.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

echopapa posted:

I think, deep down in her heart, Anita Sarkeesian would rather be reviewing Reddit than video games. And I think, deep down in my heart, that I would really like to watch that show.

Tearing apart the worst aspects of reddit and internet culture in general? Sign me up!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I did. I liked it.

Edit: I also think it's interesting that while Warner Brothers and DC are trying to make a darker and gritter Superman that redefines the character, Marvel and Disney are making superhero movies where just telling a good story and having fun is the main point and it might be the best thing either company has done.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 27, 2013

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Jimbot posted:

It's not really redefining the character since that's how the character has been portrayed in a lot of the comics over the past couple decades. It's just trying to have a bit more weight than Marvel films, which are all in good fun but are just shallow blockbusters that don't really stick with people. Man of Steel is far from perfect but I appreciated what it did more than what Marvel does with its films.

Personally, (This is more of a problem with comic book characters in general) it's also that I am sick of characters being taken in a "Gritter" direction just to shake up a character even when it doesn't really fit. I honestly would not mind another Joel Schumacher Batman.

Yeah, I said it! :colbert:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Benne posted:

Brad Jones is starting up a new show

This should be fun :allears:

So it's the wheel of the worst without Shoji Tabuchi?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

What happened with Hollywood.com? I listened to spill.com's reviews but never kept up with the background of the site.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

It's time for the The 3rd Annual RLM Stream-a-thon!

Red Letter Media posted:

Hey everyone, let’s watch some stuff! We’re going to continue our now-traditional December all-day streaming event on Sunday, December 22 from noon to midnight (US central time). In addition to RLM shorts and features, this year will include many Best of the Worst-worthy shorts, public domain movies, and other oddities. Here’s the tentative line-up:

12:00 – RLM Shorts
12:30 – Mystery Feature Film #1
2:00 – The Rich Evans Anthology
2:30 – Best of the Worst extended screening #1
3:30 – Gorilla Interrupted
5:00 – Best of the Worst extended screening #2
5:30 – Mystery Feature Film #2
7:30 – “Classic” Rich Evans short films
8:00 – Santa Claus (1959)
9:30 – Mystery Shorts
10:15 – Where’s Deathlist?
10:30 – Mystery Feature Film #3

As usual, there will be bizarre short videos sprinkled throughout as well. Check back here or on our Facebook page on the 22nd for a link to the stream!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Him and Lordkat's just fell apart and let their emotions take control and its sad :smith:

Who was Lordkat? I forget.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Kyle has a new video out. Part one of a look at Cloud Atlus

I actually really wanted to see this when it came out but never got around to it.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Benne posted:

I wasn't all that familiar with Peter Burns before watching Todd's video, but yeah, he's....quite the character.

One of his songs reminded me of Sex Farm for some reason.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Edit: Crap, someone already posted the BOTW episode :doh:

I'm surprised these guys never saw the Mexican Santa Clause movie.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Linkara looks at issues 6 and 7 of Marville

Wow, for the final issues of this train wreck I was expecting ultimate bullshit but instead it basically ends with a wet fart. The point with the submission guide saying Spiderman growing up and getting married was a "mistake" really infuriated me. To borrow a line from Yahtzee, "There is no middle finger big enough!"

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 7, 2014

• Locked thread