Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !
Head's up. If you watch any reviewers on Blip that don't use prerolls (commercials that play before the video) that's going bye-bye. From April 5th, Blip is putting prerolls in front of every video. So don't blame any producers for being money-grubbing dicks when you see a commercial before a thirty-second trailer or a five-minute video. It's gonna be mandatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
That guy sure is angry about people making money on the internet.

I'll only adress the one thing I know is factually wrong in his rant. The region you're in does, 100%, without a doubt, affect weither you see ads or not. I'm on mainland Europe, and only once in a blue moon will I see ads play on Blip. In fact, the only times that I recall seeing ads all the time, is when it's for a global product that's tied to a specific time or event. The ones off the top of my head are the UPS ads that coincided with the Olympics, the (global) launch of Mortal Kombat 9 and those insufferable Glee ads when Glee was being sold to TV channels around the globe. Those kind of things are the only instances when advertisers want to pay the extra money to put their ads out globally.

I do get irked at people who tell video producers to get a real job though. For the lucky few that do make a living out of it, it is hard work. If you take a look at Demo Reel, and you can say what you will about it (and many have), you can see the sheer amount of time and production values that went into it. To a slightly lesser extent, the same can be said about others and Linkara's stuff. The scripting, special effects, editing and research that go in these shows is staggering. To say nothing about getting decent lighting, sound and film. And after all that, there's still no guarantee it'll be as funny or as interesing as you're hoping it will be. So yeah, when and if an ad pops up, I won't block it.

And don't misunderstand me, this isn't a knock against those that just make videos as a hobby, they can (and are often) just as funny or interesting (if not more) as the people who make a living out of it. It's just that you can see the differences if you'd compare them. Differences that are simply due to time constraints when you're not making videos fulltime. Like less frequent videos, or less special effects.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
I can recommend watching the crossover review a bunch of the Channel Awesome team did on the Last Airbender movie. This one, as well as the previous year's Dragonball movie review, are two of my favorite ones on the site.
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/ir/yrt/specials/30277-the-last-airbender

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

cubs2084 posted:

Bam. Person I'm watching gets their 27 cents or whatever from my view,

Ha ! If only it were anywhere near that much.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
I like Yahtzee. He's negative, that's kinda what he does, at times, I might even describe it as a gimmick, moreso than the fast talking or animated nature of his videos even. Once you accept that's what you're going to get, it's more enjoyable to watch. I mean, when even Penny Arcade (!) has a comic of Tycho hugging his daughter after playing The Last Of Us, and Yahtzee ends with "maybe this is one of those things you need a soul for" you pretty much know what to expect from Zero Punctuation.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

I doubt it. His content releases slowed for a while so it might be dictated by blip.

Nope, Blip's only edict on commercials has been that preroll ads are now mandatory. (Though you can exempt a few videos.)
Commercial breaks are entirely up to the producer. If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say Phelous and Lupa are trying to make a living off the videos, but they don't have the viewing figures of a Nostalgia Critic or AVGN. If the multiple adbreak strategy adds more revenue than it drives people away, it's a valid, albeit potentially annoying way to go.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

I actually feel somewhat bad for watching videos on blip because more than half of the time the ads just don't play here in Canada. I'm hoping it's still counting views for the producers' sake.

It does. You get a nice little breakdown of total views and views where the adds played.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

echopapa posted:

Story here. It's Maker Studios, who also run a whole bunch of other Youtube channels.

From that article : "Many major networks and creators have spoken out against YouTube’s revenue-sharing model. Creators typically take 55 percent of the cut of revenue from ads on their videos, while YouTube owner Google keeps the rest."

Uhm... Blip takes an even 50% at the moment, more than Youtube, so could this mean Blip producers could get a larger cut under our new overlords? (Assuming they're keeping all Blip producers, now that the Blip culling of producers seems to be in its final stages.) Cause that would be spiffy.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
The TGWTG Charity drive is going on right now.
http://www.justin.tv/channel_awesome_charity#/w/6605957184
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/

Pretty fun so far.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
In my experience, most producers tend to bend over backwards to try not to offend people, and if they do, inadvertendly or not, they again practically bend over backwards to apologize. If I'm brutally honest, it's come to the point where when you're trying to be funny, you have to walk on so many eggshells it's becoming hard to not crack a few.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Zeether posted:

Apparently Blip is culling a bunch of videos? MikeJ and Film Brain were bringing it up on Twitter.

Edit: http://support.blip.tv/entries/23277196-An-Important-Update-from-Blip-Regarding-Account-Removals So basically if you're not making Blip any bank, your account's being pruned. drat.

quote="dijon du jour" post="420328740"]
Again? Didn't Blip do this exact same thing around a year ago? If they're still circling the drain that's probably a sign that they need a new strategy, not that they should do the same thing over and over again because the consultant they hired had a really spiffy PowerPoint saying it would work.
[/quote]

Yeah, no. Blip stated last december/january that they were gonna review all their accounts (about 900 000 of them, with 50 000 actual shows) and remove the ones that didn't fit in with their vision, whatever the hell that was, until there were gonna be just 4-5000 shows. They have apparantly finished, and today emails have gone out to a whole bunch of producers, saying either their accounts will be deleted within thirty days, or they are fine. So they're not doing anything "again" this is just one process.

As far as I can tell, sound only podcasts are out (Nerd to the 3rd power, a podcast on TGWTG, is out), along with a whole bunch of other stuff.

It's a sad day for a whole bunch of video makers, and there are a lot of angry people out there right now, and they have every right to be. This is completely screwed up.

I don't know what hosed up metric they've used to decide who stays and who goes, but I can absolutely, positively say that "making bank for Blip" or having a huge audience, is not the yardstick they're using.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Ema Nymton posted:

Since it's October Rolfe's Monster Madness is out and that's quite a treat. I love the trivia he has for all the old movies he reviews. We learn a little hearing it, and it also shows how much he loves these old films. Hopefully he can pass that love on to a new generation doing these videos.

I love Halloween season when it comes to internet reviewers, you've got Linkara's Longbox of the Damned, as well as his The Thing reviews, the Monster Madness episodes, Phelous' stuff, and Dena has another Silent Hill Game Den out, this time it's Downpour. Plus tons more stuff from other people.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Infamous Sphere posted:

That unpleasantness doesn't actually come through in his videos, it's just what I've seen from Oancitizen/Hagan responding to his tweets, and me looking at the source tweets. So I can't say that I feel terribly sorry about him being kicked off Chez Apocalypse.

Yeah, the guy is a total dick on Twitter. I was pretty surprised when he joined Chez, considering that, as far as I can tell, he was basically another Spoony implosion waiting to happen.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

LFK posted:

The thing is that Blip needs to sell ad space.

You know, I think you've just hit the nail right on the head. You've given me a Eureka moment here. For weeks, there's been a lot of debate in a lot of places about how Blip decided what shows to cut. Most people have concluded that the size of your audience was the deciding factor, but I can safely say this simply isn't the case. (believe me.) It wasn't wether or not you used copyrighted material either.

I now believe the only metric they used was "Can we sell ad space for this show?", that's it. Nothing else. It isn't a matter of how much money you were making them, but how much money you could potentially make them. There's one line in the email you got from them if your show wasn't cut that supports this. "On the contrary, expect to get more love than ever from us!" I'm thinking that line means they're gonna try and help you grow your audience if you need it.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

quakster posted:

What the hell is Gameception. I've been Shyamalammed. :(

They pledged a certain amount of money (I forget how much) to the Channel Awesome Indiegogo campaign, and the perk for that was getting an episode tacked onto an NC review.

It's sort of a double-edged sword if you ask me, considering the amount of bitching I've seen about it online.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Angry Joe put up a video remembering Justin. Part of it s hard to watch, part of it will put a smile on your face.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERmJSKpRrtk

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
I've never had the pleasure of meeting Justin in person. I only knew him from his videos, collaborations with others and hanging out on his stream. But from that, as well as from all the testimonials from people who did know him, I can only conclude this man was always there for you. Always there to help, to encourage, to listen. He gave so, so much. He never, ever had a harsh word to say about anybody. He was part of so many communities.

Meaning no disrespect to anybody, be they video producer, fan or community member, I can say that we truly lost the best of us with the passing of this man.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Yeah, Blip advertising is currently focused on the US, Canada and the UK. Mainland Europe will get a string of ads once in a blue moon, but Australia isn't even on the radar as far as I can tell.

Additionally, what type of videos you watch are a factor too. Blip can sell more ads if a video is rated universal or PG. That's why some producers will occasionally bleep their own stuff.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

This thread got me thinking about something:

So most of the internet critics we're discussing here are on Blip, because Youtube started cracking down on people using other people's stuff. So why haven't those same groups gone after Blip for the same reasons? Is it just that Blip is a lot smaller?

Blip has the exact same copyright rules as Youtube. And they do get takedown notices, the most famous probably being Tommy Wiseau throwing a tantrum over the Nostalgia Critic's The Room review. The difference is that with Blip, their system to deal with copyright infringement isn't automated, or at least not to the extent Youtube is. An actual human being has to look at your content and file a complaint, then another actual human being has to check to see if it has merit. But you're partially right, it is due to size. Blip can only do this because they don't have anything near the amount of content that Youtube has.

With youtube, it's basically two computer programs talking to eachother, the content crawlers talk to the reporting system, often shafting the user along the way.

The other reason Blip has less problems, is that they now screen you before you can join. You have to make what amounts to a business case for your webseries. So joining to upload music videos, movies or TV series is right out. While on Youtube, anybody can upload the complete Doctor Who series if they so wished.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

echopapa posted:

Agreed.

If this Project Million guy is suing you, PM me. I am a lawyer in real life and may be able to assist a little.

I don't really think they've got anything to worry about. You know that contrary to the cliché, it's not that easy to sue somebody. First, he'd have to talk to a lawyer, and any laywer worth his salt would refuse the case. They'd explain (probably having to use sock puppets in this case) that he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Xander77 posted:

So here's a question for people who know stuff - why are the standard video size options for most reviews either full screen with no convenient tabbing options, or postage stamp? As far as I can tell, something like polsy (which fills the browser window but retains your tabs) is really fairly easy to use.

For reviews on Blip, you don't get that option. The Blip player is either fullscreen or embedded. We do have the option of using various sizes when we embed videos, but the problem there is if you used a larger size (the biggest is 960 x 568) It wouldn't fit on a webpage properly. With TGWTG, for example, a larger box would be partially obscured by the side ads.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

The fact that his wife just left him too makes it all the creepier in hindsight.

According to his Twitter, she's back and doing better.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

EDIT: When it comes to youtube alternatives, especially for internet critics, you have to look for the ability of the Hypothetical Alternative to host your stuff, and how quickly it can evade the copyright owners complaining about you using their stuff.

The problem with Youtube has been that they use computer programs to search for copyright infringement. Computer programs that don't (and can't, really) know what fair use means. Blip is good because you have actual people looking at copyright infringement claims.

This latest Blip purge is more hard-hitting than the last one, since this time people who actually make a (partial) living off them are being affected, and that's pretty lovely.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Jay O posted:

Eh, don't count your chickens just yet, it may be reversed in the next few days. If not, I guess I get to shake the 8-ball and try again, but from what I've heard, I think I'm okay.

Rob Walker gave some vague hints that suggest Channel Awesome is going to bat for their contributors. I think they did the same when the first wave of Blip cuts hit last year.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

watho posted:

Wasn't that Benzai or did both of them go the same route?

Benzaie has also been focusing on his French stuff, but he's still on the site and sometimes puts up a video. He's just been removed from the front page because his updates had become so rare. At least, that's why I think he's not on the front page anymore.

He's gonna be the guest on the next Transmission Awesome, it's supposed to be out this weekend, so I'm guessing we'll learn more about what's going on with him.

Honestly, Channel Awesome desperatly needs a new pointperson for HR/PR. Their communication has left a lot to be desired lately. No announcement of Sad Panda leaving, the talent pickup was only mentioned in the stinger of one Nostalgia Critic video, the unclear stance on Patreon and other crowdfunding by their producers, the Mike Dodd fiasco... The list goes on.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Except Doug since he can't work with a computer apparently. Having Rob on here would be cool though.

Wasn't Michael Dodd on SA for a bit talking about how the site was going to get redesigned soon?

You mean Mike Michaud, the CEO of Channel Awesome, and yeah, he showed up in a previous version of this thread way back when it was in PYF. He hasn't shown up here, so I don't know if he even knows this thread exists.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

That channel is actually owned by Blip as a way of promoting themselves and the talent. Somebody from TGWTG (I think Lindsay Ellis) once mentioned signing a contract for it.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

DStecks posted:

IIRC, Ben Kingsley did it because he'd never played a vampire before, and thought it would be fun. That was literally his entire reason for doing it.

He meant Ben Kinglsey playing the cross-eyed guru in the Love Guru there chief. It has not been a good week for Sir Ben Kingsley.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Keromaru5 posted:

I meant both, actually. Not a good week at all.

That'll teach me to be smug. You know, when you see actors in these roles, I'm always reminded of two quotes (that may or may not have been said). First, by Laurence Olivier when he was asked why he had appeared in a horrible film "Money, dear boy!" And Michael Caine, on Jaws 4 : “I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.”

Let's be honest, if somebody were to offer me a million dollars, I'd appear in The Room 2 : Revenge of Johnny's ghost. Hell, for two million, I'd do the porno version.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
The talent pickups for Channel Awesome are coming in, so far, they've picked up The Horror Guru, Foldable Human, Rantasmo, Some Jerk With A Camera, Jill Bearup, Count Jackula, Terror Obsura and Wielderofdreams.

It's interesting to note they picked up everybody that was already on Chez Apocolypse.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

My guess is it's not just CA making these decisions. Blip is involved too and Blip mostly just wants consistent content generation so they get more ad views.

Not really, a few people don't use Blip. Angry Joe's videos on CA are from Youtube, even though he has a Blip channel. Same goes for Accursed Farms.

Speaking of Blip, I wonder how they feel about the whole Patreon thing. I mean, they can't be too thrilled that one of the rewards most producers tend to put up is getting rid of midrolls. Depending on the direction Blip takes when/if it becomes MakerTV, they might make midrolls mandatory, like they did with prerolls.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Infamous Sphere posted:

(if you look at a list of old hollywood actors or directors, nearly half of them are rumoured to be LGBT.)

True story : Groucho Marx and Alice Cooper were close friends. In an interview, Cooper once said that they'd get together in his private movie theatre and watch a ton of old movies. Groucho would constantly be saying "They were gay, he was gay, she was gay" during all films.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Cyron posted:

It' just this is the first ad i have a issue with. most of them where just unoffensive annoying click ads or just funny like america pancakes. this is just sick.

For some reason, when I play a blip video, and a commercial comes up, if I just refresh the page and start the video again, the ad will be gone. I think this means the producer still gets the add revenue, but I'm not sure. Also, I'm in Europe, so I don't know if this is just a regional trick.

As for blip going away, yes, this will happen, but everybody that didn't get pruned will just be ported over to maker.tv .

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

echopapa posted:

I still post episodes of my show in the Your Reviews subforum at TGWTG, but it doesn’t draw in many hits,

The best place to post your show on TGWTG is honestly the blog section. (if you're not an actual featured show I mean.) It gets you on the front page for about a day, giving you more exposure than in the forum or in the video section. If I look at my statistics, my number one source for views* is my own site, followed by TGWTG. It's about 60-40.

* I mean actual people who watch the videos, not just clicks, since those are rife with bots.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Idran posted:

He's been anti-Channel Awesome for ages, way before all of those things. If I remember right, I think it started off because of him getting laughed out of an intended-to-be-sincere interview with some game developer because of Spoony and Angry Joe's reputations at the time, or something along those lines? It was just after that "Betrayal" X-Com thing the two of them did, I think.

I find it hilarious that years later, Spoony is hanging out with Richard Garriot, while Lordkat is sitting alone in a room being a bitter, angry rear end in a top hat.

By the way, Lordkat has pretty much admitted he goes after Channel Awesome because that gets him the most views, so there is a method to his madness. Of his latest temper tantrum I will say only this : On the day the terrible news about JewWario's death broke, Nash started a stream. Half of Channel Awesome was there, as well as most of the community. There were something like 1600 people watching and participating. It was heartbreaking, there was crying, laughing and sharing memories. It was something everybody needed right at that moment and I'll never forget it. Meanwhile, same day, on Lordkat's stream he remarked "I've got so many dead jew jokes in my head right now." gently caress Lordkat.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If I recall right, even Nash mentioned it in his review of the Doctor Who movie.

I think it was in his WTFIWWY Doctor Who episode (with Nella).

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Gyges posted:

Forced autoplay is the devil.

And profitable ! Back when I was on Blip, my most watched episode was my first one, because once you had watched somebody's latest episode, it rolled over to the first. And you'd be surprised how many times this happens. Yes, I did enable ads for that first episode. No, I wasn't ashamed.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Testekill posted:

It's a shame that he didn't do Castle of Cagliostro. Because that's a cool movie also.

I thought Cagliostro wasn't considered a "real" Miyazaki film ? Somebody, I wanna say J-O but I'm not sure, talked about that movie once in a video.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Keromaru5 posted:

No, it's "real"--one of Miyazaki and Takahata's first gigs was the original Lupin III TV series--but it's not a Ghibli movie, and it's never been released by Disney. Manga Video used to have the US rights; now it's Discotek.

David "Solid Snake" Hayter plays Lupin in the dub!

E: And when I double-checked Hayter's role on IMDB, JO's review was the second result.

Ah, right, I got it mixed up a bit, because of the Ghibli thing. By the way, I own that movie. It has both an English and Japanese audio track, but the subtitles are in Dutch. (Because I got it in Belgium) The subtitles are for the Japanese track, but they're used for the English track as well. It's quite the mindfuck when your subtitles are saying something completely different from the audio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Jsor posted:

This seems like it depends on a lot of stuff. The creators here are probably under an NDA and unable to discuss it, but I wonder how the whole Channel Awesome signing and ad process works. Like, are Blip ads given directly to the creator or to CA accounting and then transferred? Everything I've seen seems to indicate to the creator, but does CA get a cut? Depending on all this stuff, there may be some awkwardness if Lindsay considers CA the "owner" -- does she keep all the residual revenue for new views? Do they maintain the agreement but accept there are going to be no new videos? Does she transfer ownership over the entire Blip channel to CA and start a new one?

I'm sure the people who have actually signed with CA are laughing at my ignorance on this matter right now, but it seems to me that what happens here is kind of contingent on money and contracts.

The only NDA's I've ever heard of was for the anniversary movies and Holly, since she was an actual employee. Any ad revenue from Blip has always gone directly to the producer, Channel Awesome has absolutely nothing to do with that. Channel Awesome just gets the money from the ads that appear around the embedded videos on the CA site.

• Locked thread