Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RustyTrombone posted:

The new Critic's top 11 was pretty great!

He actually provided some interesting insight. I never noticed that the Mormon episode was also complementing people of the faith and, while I don't like the episode he picked for his #1, I definitely see why it exists and why people would like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

rjryan3 posted:

"Not necessarily new"? Why the hell did you bring that video up? That was years ago! Nobody gives a poo poo anymore! Especially when Doug admitted it was poo poo!

Doug did it on a bet with James Rolfe, didn't he? Rolfe would do a movie and he'd do a game (this was before Rolfe started monster madness and such.)

EDIT: \/ Oh right. And that was actually a pretty well done AVGN-style review

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 9, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

He never finished that Saw retrospective did he?

He announced on Nash's program a few weeks back that he had a ton of things coming. Whatever happened was sudden.

Best of luck to him.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

OldTennisCourt posted:

Which sucks because, even as a non Saw fan, it was good. I hope he's okay.

His goodbye video makes it sound like his heart just isn't in doing videos anymore. Good luck to him in whatever he does.

EDIT: \/ He convinced me to whitelist TGWTG (I did already have blip whitelisted.)

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 18, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ryuga Death posted:

How do you whitelist just only blip? I read something about subscribing to EasyList.

Firefox or Chrome?

It's easy on Firefox:
Go to blip or tgwtg and open a review, click on the adblock logo in the corner and select "open blockable items." from there it's easy to set up a filter that applies only to the blip.tv domain. Alternatively, you can select "disable adblock on this domain" to have it universally allow ads on that site.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think you meant "turning on adblock."

I use it to avoid obnoxious flash ads, but whitelist trusted sites.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Srice posted:

That was only the case for a few things (mostly the educational shorts IIRC). For most movies they had to get the rights to show them. Which is why they can't just release season boxsets of the show; for DVD releases they gotta renegotiate those rights and some companies either don't want to do that or they want too much money for an episode to be worthwhile.

They've also ran into the fun like with some old games where no one has any idea who owns the actual rights any more.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I really am enjoying these editorials more than the actual NC reviews. Doug does seem to put a lot of thought into them. It's great that he's just giving opinions rather than trying to play a character too.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

OldTennisCourt posted:

THE POLICE KNOW HOW TO SEE IF PEOPLE AREN'T WEARING THEIR SEAT-BELTS

AND THEY GIVE REAL TICKETS

CLICK IT OR TICKET

BELTOPHOBIA

(I loathe that campaign)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

miscellaneous14 posted:

Man, I was wondering why that movie was so poorly received despite the Smiths being pretty talented.

I really doubt he'll stop getting work, though. TLA was a $150 million project that barely managed to make a return via overseas box office sales, and someone thought it was a good idea to put him on the helm of yet another Summer blockbuster. Directors are like CEOs; you can be the absolute worst but never stop being put in charge of things.

Will Smith and him are apparently good friends. That's how he got this project.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

That amused me far more than it should have, though I disagree with his editing comments as the jumps back and forth weren't hard to follow.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah the Bunny Perspective guy has some really weird points of view on certain topics.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
They're both on TGWTG. Might be easier to go through his blip channel.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
They said last year they weren't doing the large scale anniversary stuff anymore (it's probably quite a pain to get everyone together, especially now that some producers are students and/or have other commitments.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rebochan posted:

But holy cow, so many ad breaks, some of them even mid-sentences. Is he just trolling?

I doubt it. His content releases slowed for a while so it might be dictated by blip.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

OrangeKing posted:

I've very much enjoyed his Bootlegs Zone series, where he's talked about counterfeit action figures from around the world. I don't know why, but seeing what bootleggers produce is really entertaining.

Check out Ashens too. Phelous basically aped some of Ashen's style.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Infamous Sphere posted:

I must say I find Phelous and Lupa's "DERP DEE DOOO" thing painfully annoying.

Yeah I can see that. I have a friend who just can't stand Phelous and can barely tolerate Lupa.

They both have a very sarcastic style.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

prahanormal posted:

It still really blows my mind that people can be that entitled as to complain to the reviewers about the ads on their videos. It's 30 seconds, it's muteable, and its how the people that they like are able to be (relitivly minorly) compensated for their work.

I actually feel somewhat bad for watching videos on blip because more than half of the time the ads just don't play here in Canada. I'm hoping it's still counting views for the producers' sake.

It's nice to see you Lupa. You've actually sold a few movies in my case since I'm a big fan of shlock stuff.

EDIT: \/ That's a relief. They do deserve compensation for their work.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 7, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but according to twitter Welshy is coming back to finish his Saw retrospective before he stops producing videos for blip completely.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

StealthArcher posted:

What happened with Jake? I'm kind of out of the loop.

He was in a car accident in a parking lot (the other guy's fault.) Jake's not hurt, but unfortunately the guy who hit him's insurance is screwing around and Jake needs his car for work.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BigRed0427 posted:

What the hell is Violence Jack?

The most vile thing to come out of the 90s OVA gorefest.

It contains many, many depictions of bloody slaughter in ridiculous detail as well as literal mass rapes, and sometimes combinations of the two. Pretty much every disturbing fetish is depicted in it in some way.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I just hope they improve steam train. I'm not sure why but they just don't work with it. Maybe they need to script things?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

dijon du jour posted:

I think Todd fell asleep in the middle of editing this episode (or he was too distracted by the hair). At around 7 minutes in he kept in several different takes of him saying "It's Ziggy Stardust for the new wave era!"

He's fixed it.

He's so right though: Space Age Love Song is actually a pretty awesome song.

EDIT: \/ I'm surprised that Todd didn't touch on how much Mike Score loathes "I Ran" because it's all people expect them to play when he knows they've got more interesting songs.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 23, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Miss Wallace posted:

Been catching up on Half in the Bag lately, lots of great stuff. It's hard to watch them because they're so drat good at it, it makes me feel bad about my production values. But definitely worth watching.

Your style's a lot simpler, but I find that fits your content really well. You don't need to go into skits like Phelous or Doug to get your stuff across (I mean no disrespect to either. It's just a difference in approach.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

beep by grandpa posted:

What's the consensus here on Steam Train- has it gotten any better?

Not really. It has potential but they need to figure out how to make it work.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mace Bacon posted:

According to his twiter the headphone jack on his laptop broke. Dunno if that's what happened here, but that might explain it.

That and he had to leave for a con this morning so he rushed getting the video out.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rebochan posted:

Oh, and, Blip Gods? I appreciate the brief break in your endless Buzz Lightyear/Carsland ad rolls, but now that they're back and you're crashing over and over and forcing me to watch them again and again, I'm this close to driving down to Anaheim and nuking the entire drat park. With my nerdrage.

In Canada I get the same 20 second long axe deodorant commercial every break. Consider yourself lucky.

EDIT: \/ I miss the 7 second long Hotels.com one. It was easily ignored.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 28, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ema Nymton posted:

I tried to watch Darkside of the Internet, but I couldn't make it past seven minutes. I can't watch 30+ minutes of "someone was mean to me on the online :qq: " featuring a bunch of talking heads who are in no way experts on any subjects, let alone the complex sociological issues of humanity and the world wide web. The Dark Side of the internet is the internet, so what's the point of this?

That and the extremely dry narration, completely pointless animations that looked like a bad office meeting slideshow and simple lack of any enthusiasm on the subject by almost everyone involved (with the exceptions of Lupa and Linkara, maybe Phelous) kind of killed any point they were trying to get across.

It honestly felt like the product of some extremely out of touch corporate management.

EDIT: \/ I don't disagree with the message. Just think the presentation could have been better to appeal to the people it's targeted towards.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 29, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jay O posted:

EDIT: Talked to him a little more. It's the former. He really doesn't get that the game is jaw-droppingly dumb, but isn't angrily defending it either. He's just firmly in this mindset of "It's okay, some people won't get it. But I know it's great." :haw:

Again: pretty fuckin' wonderful.

He also might be like the fellow who makes some of the movies Lupa's reviewed (The Amazing Bulk and Aliens vs Avatars) who doesn't care what level people enjoy his work on as long as they enjoy it. I mean, I made some really dumb movies with friends back in high school that are on youtube that we took seriously, but we uploaded them because they're so dumb and entertaining that way.

I mean Tommy Wiseau seems to love people enjoying The Room as a strange comedy. Some people are just very good with taking criticism or just want to entertain.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Writer Cath posted:

So Channel Awesome is launching an Indiegogo campaign to start up a new game show web series. It actually looks pretty fun and the rewards look pretty good.

This is the one Brad is hosting right? It's been in the works since Demo Reel.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kunster posted:

So, remember that half second shot at the end on the previous Phelous review? It alluded to this. Somewhat NWS, given its a Jacob's Letter review.

I'm keeping this vague since stuff happens on it.

That was actually really good

I wonder if this is a gag or not though

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

bbf2 posted:

I don't know whether to find this surprising or completely unsurprising, but Doug Walker's take (Just some crappy fake rage ranting about "I HATE YOU NERD! I WILL GET YOU!" until he dropped the act and got serious) was far and away the least funny out of everyone's.

It's a tie into a really old silly rivalry between the characters that Doug and James had fun with.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
13's a good age for a cat. :(

Ghostpilot, as far as we know Bennet and Lindsey are not related. You're right that he's usually pretty dry.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Metal Loaf posted:

I must be honest, the Goof Troop one is the only one they've done that I've watched the whole way through ("You go learn a hard day's work while I masturbate in a field"). I might have to give the new guys a go, since everybody seems to think they're pretty good.

Start with the crazy castle one. It's amazingly funny.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

OldMemes posted:

Given that all his stuff was taken down from the background, I'd guess he's moving places?

Lupa's recently moved according to her twitter as well, which is why she's been less active.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah I get the feeling "bad girl" Miley Cyrus is all a marketing thing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Increased traffic to blip could also lead to them being forced to adopt the rules that made the CA folks leave youtube in the first place as well.

This is something that could kill Channel Awesome itself.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Korra was actually planned to have its first season plot stretched over multiple seasons. Instead they rushed it because they didn't think there'd be more than one which caused a lot of its issues.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rebochan posted:

I had a brief window in my life between 14 and 15 that this Sandler seemed absolutely hilarious..which I suspect is true for most people and might be why these movies keep getting made.

...but dude, seriously, I know Sandler has children, so why are his child characters so alien!? It's like they've never met a child before.

Part of the problem I think is that Sandler simply is too old to do this sort of movie now. You can see all of his characters are written like they were 20-something goofballs even at his age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

WickedHate posted:

I think Green Arrow also got a new writer people liked.

Yeah, he's been revamped in a really good way with a lot more personality than before.

• Locked thread