Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alacron posted:

Holy poo poo, I'd never heard this song before, and I'm cringing hearing these lyrics. Seriously, when they start talking about the girl's weight, even I, a socially retarded grognard of a goon, start going "No don't, ixnay, abort ABORT :frogsiren:"
I'm just glad that unlike their other garbage, this One Direction song flopped on the charts. It's really offensive on multiple levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don't know if anyone saw it, but apparently Linkara's fans were going after Phelous on Twitter for making fun of Linkara in his April Fool's episode. They somehow weren't smart enough to get the joke that this wasn't being done maliciously. It's even stranger considering Linkara is IN that episode.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

cubs2084 posted:

I freaking loved Phelous' 2 part tearing down of Friday the 13th 9. Particularly when he was framing the series beforehand, discussing the fun shift of tone to the backstory starting with 6, and how 9 screwed up so badly with ignoring even basic series continuity that even 10 and Freddy vs. Jason ignored it. I recently watched through the whole series the first time, and he reflected my own take on both this movie and the series in general, it just made me smile. Also, gently caress Jason Goes To Hell.
It's amazing how badly that movie missed the point of the series. Nobody wants Jason to be some kind of alien that absorbs people.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

Evil Dead Half in the Bag
http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-evil-dead/
That opening is so great
I'm putting the over/under on screamer BS at 2 for this review, am I wrong?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Leelee posted:

I never really followed him, but I caught this on tumblr: http://hopewithinchaos.tumblr.com/post/47709945973/my-final-stream-4-13-13-why-im-disappearing. This is the same person (HopeWithinChaos) who had was e-begging before for money previously, if my memory serves. Well, now if you don't help him he will be out of a home, you jerks.
This is really scummy...I'm surprised though that he didn't take his money and go like LittleMissGamer did years ago.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I was surprised to see that in his latest review, Spoony is again using the Andrew Dickman animation. He stopped using that after they had some kind of falling out, but I guess maybe they worked it out?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I feel like he's trying to force himself into doing these more recent reviews, rather than do stuff he enjoys more. I mean just go back and watch one of his videos from 2008 and compare it to this one. It's night and day. More recent things like his Rebruary reviews are more enjoyable to watch because he clearly loves those films, with a few exceptions.

I also have no idea when/if he ever sleeps based on the fact that he seems to never stop tweeting.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gonna be a lot less amateur Nintendo LPs on YouTube now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kinda odd that he's totally shutting everything down.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I believe our site's own Chip Cheezum said on a podcast that he also tried out for that.

Oh and thanks for reminding me about those horrible Indian stereotype ads, it's probably the reason I got Adblock in the first place.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Spoony releases his new review...of that Minority Report Xbox game he planned to review years ago. I'm surprised he got around to it.

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2013/06/10/minority-report-everybody-runs/

Edit: Apparently he did review it but the footage got completely corrupted

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 11, 2013

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Lindsay mentioned on Twitter earlier that she is on an indefinite hiatus from Internet videos for awhile. She didn't go into details.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Slate Action posted:

(Also, Joe's got 750,000+ Youtube subscribers now. Has he stealthily become the most successful TGWTG member?)
I have no idea how that happened.

Then again PewDiePie has like 8 million, so.....

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Robert Denby posted:

Why is anyone on here still watching Spoony? He's loving garbage.
I thought his Minority Report game review was closer to his 'good' reviews than the bad ones. The last FF reviews were pretty terrible.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Spoony spends about 50% of his average day picking fights with people over games on Twitter, because he's bored.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

TGWTG released the 5th Anniversary teaser trailer, which is for something called 'Uncanny Valley', a series of short films done by a few of the TGWTG people. Looks very scaled back from last year.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/specials/39782-the-5th-year-anniversary-trailer

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's probably a combination of cost, and they have also lost several prominent people since last year (Spoony, JewWario, others).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Well according to Twitter, both Lupa and Oan are reading this thread...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Deofuta posted:

When it comes to internet critics, one of my favorites who manages to produce consistently good content is Sfdebris. As a big science fiction fan, I find his reviews to be in depth and a wonderful way to revisit an episode to a show that I haven't seen in years. If you want to check out some of his work, taking a look at his review of the Star Trek TNG episode "The Measure of a Man" might be a good introduction to his work. I am sure there are some fans of his work on here.
Yeah he started by doing reviews of bad Voyager episodes and then moved on to do all of Trek, as well as other Sci Fi.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Miss Wallace posted:

I've explained this to people before, and I've gotten rude responses over it. That's the times that I block people. Heck, some people were awful to Lewis over his ad video and I thought he was incredibly polite in it.
It doesn't matter to them for whatever reason. He can explain himself in a perfectly reasonable manner and the Internet will still go after him. That's the way this stuff seems to work, sadly.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

OrangeKing posted:

I had no idea what this was, and had to do some searching. I suppose this answers the age old question: "But who will review the reviewers?" Mind you, it's not a very good answer.
It was brought up a few times in the old thread when they were getting more people's attention a few years ago. Nobody really cares about them anymore.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

Linkara posted a video of a live show he did at a Con. Fair warning to all viewers: there's a guy in the front who does not shut up throughout the entire show. He shouts out awful memes and his own brand of unfunny MST3K humor constantly. I couldn't last through the whole thing.
Someone was doing the same thing at Spoony's panel while he was trying to riff on videos. That seems pretty common though, based on the other videos I've seen of Linkara doing cons.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

It seems way worse in that particular video for some reason, I think he may be too close to the microphone or he's particularly obnoxious but he's by far the worst I've ever heard in any Con video.
Spoony mentioned that the audio set up for that panel was bad, which resulted in various issues with volume of both him and the videos he was riffing

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Todd posted a new One-Hit Wonderland of A Flock of Seagulls' "I Ran (So Far Away)" the great '80s hit.

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/one-hit-wonderland-i-ran-so-far-away-by-a-flock-of-seagulls-6619165

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Miss Wallace posted:

Been catching up on Half in the Bag lately, lots of great stuff. It's hard to watch them because they're so drat good at it, it makes me feel bad about my production values. But definitely worth watching.

Personally I could care less about production values, as long as the content is strong.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So I'm 3/4 of the way through these The Uncanny Valley videos, and they are pretty disappointing all around. That SciFi Guy's one was terrible, but at least it was short.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MikeJ's video was the best, but overall they were pretty bad.

I'm a bit surprised that they didn't get Linkara to do one, considering he's the 2nd biggest guy on the site (I believe). I know Lindsay has been on hiatus so I'm sure she was unable to do one.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm pretty sure he was just being meta again. He's done a similar thing before with killing himself off on his show.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He mostly reviews bad comics.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The last minute of that video is glorious.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I didn't know they were doing an Indiegogo fundraiser for the site...are they going broke now or something? I noticed that Lindsay's recent videos make no mention of CA anymore. It seems like a lot of people are gradually leaving/moving away from the site.

I also understand that Blip was just sold, and I know they aren't really paying people much.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tom was a part of some reviewer team on TGWTG but they apparently quit a year or more ago

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That's really bizarre. They are probably better off getting rid of that guy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

As someone who grew up watching the inspector gadget cartoon, even as a kid I thought that first live action film was garbage. It's just a series of terrible ideas and bad CGI along with blatant product placement (like when a billboard for Yahoo slowly falls on a car while they literally play the Yahoo jingle).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

S-Alpha posted:

New Half in the Bag - Gravity and Carrie

Anything I could say about this episode would ruin it. :allears:
I don't get why they insist on stupid screamers, it's annoying as all hell

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

cubs2084 posted:

Google is continuing to screw with Youtube. The latest being forcing you to make and connect with a Google+ account to use any of the commenting features, trying to emulate the Facebook feature of tagging people into discussions. You can separate your Youtube account from any Google+, but you can no longer post comments or otherwise engage normally.

And that's just the big change I see from my perspective, as a non-content creating user. The reason I even mention this here is because I wonder what other changes this Google+ shoving is going to have on the actual content creators of Youtube, the reviewers and what not, a number of whom troll here. What if they have no desire being forced to connect their accounts either? What sort of limits will this put on their ability to create and share content if they don't?
It's a simple calculation for them. Once they get all of that personal info it's a goldmine.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

Burton really needs someone to just reign him in more than anything. His style isn't inherently bad, it's just when he splashes it over loving everything in a desperate attempt to recapture the magic he had in the 90's. If he had someone to tell him to loving knock it off I bet we wouldn't have gotten Dark Shadows, and hell as previously said, Frankenweenie isn't THAT bad.
So he has George Lucas Syndrome?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Although in fairness we should probably call it Michael Cimino Syndrome.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah it sucks, seems like Hollywood.com couldn't figure out how to use that site properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That would be great if they joined RT.

• Locked thread