Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
I freaking loved Phelous' 2 part tearing down of Friday the 13th 9. Particularly when he was framing the series beforehand, discussing the fun shift of tone to the backstory starting with 6, and how 9 screwed up so badly with ignoring even basic series continuity that even 10 and Freddy vs. Jason ignored it. I recently watched through the whole series the first time, and he reflected my own take on both this movie and the series in general, it just made me smile. Also, gently caress Jason Goes To Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

I was terrified this was going to be him announcing in his special way that he was also leaving the site. Phew.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
Film Brain and Mike Jeavons teaming up to tear down The Nutty Professor 2? Yes please.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/fbv/bmbe/38904-shameful-sequel-beatdown-w-mikej-nutty-professor-ii-the-klumps

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
In the first Furu Furu Park episode, Jon said to Arin "We've gotten to the point of roomateship where we're practically married". I wonder if this means they moved in together. It would certainly make doing Game Grumps easier, I'd imagine.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

somekindofguy posted:

This one felt more like one of Doug's editorials rather than an episode of the Nostalgia Critic. Not that that's a bad thing mind you; given how many people have screamed and bitched about that movie online, a more cool-headed approach is a welcome change.

As to this movie...never seen it, but perhaps putting the same guys who wrote Eurotrip and episodes for the final seasons of Seinfeld behind this may have been a bad idea. Obviously the Seuss estate thought so, as they killed any further live action adaptations (my Oh The Places You'll Go! movie :qq:).

Doug seems to be down on the Seuss movies in general though--I can see why he didn't exactly like this one, but the Horton film didn't look THAT bad from the bits I saw. At least they tried to make the 3d characters resemble the original designs in that one.

Eurotrip is pretty funny stuff. I'm so glad they didn't let Cat in the Hat taint them, since they went on to make it after this train wreck. And go watch Horton Hears A Who proper. It's a solid animated film.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Maremidon posted:

... So am I the only one who kind of wants to see The Cat In The Hat now? The clips shown were such a pandering unpleasant assault on the senses they inadvertently became hilarious to me.

You're better off not. It isn't "So bad it's hilarious". It's just offensive on so many levels.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Senerio posted:

Doug's #8: Miles and Jack from Sideways.

Interesting choice. Though he makes a solid argument as to why he can't separate them.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
I could never get into Daria.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Whoolighams posted:

AVGN movie update from James

Pretty simple stuff but it's nice that he posts these on occasion between actually filming the movie as well as putting out all the other Cinemassacre videos.

Also he just casually mentions he has a baby on the way :3:

I was surprised with the casual mention of that too. But apparently he announced the news a few months ago when he premiered the trailer.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Because I'm pretty sure he's not actually writing the pieces out of a deep knowledge of fiction but rather pandering to the fans who butter his bread, which I'm willing to bet aren't very culturally savvy and likely quite young, and thus willing to eat up this kind-of content without a second glance.

Bitter much? Way to debase a whole fanbase as young idiots.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
It's rare that Game Grumps irritates me. Their one-off of Toki did. Toki is a fun game, and totally weird and full of stuff they could poke at and just enjoy. But instead Jon decided he hated it immediately so they just phoned it in. I guess it is frustrating when it's a game you like, huh?

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
What happened to Luke Mochire? He kind of vanished. Did he quit the reviewing game?

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
I went to C2E2 today, and randomly ran into JewWario. NICE guy. Like he didn't act self-important at all, we were chatting about our experiences at the con (and he showed me his Peter Davidson signed Electabuzz plushie, which was fantastically random), his work, and never did I get the impression he was just trying to flee from the conversation despite me catching him at the exit. It was a surprise at the end of my day, but it was nice to find he's just so pleasant, and seemed genuinely appreciative when I told him I was a fan and likes what he does. We took a picture together doing the Vulcan salute (I was dressed as Spock). I went against my twitter hate just so I could get it to him directly and give my thanks at being so cool with me today, since other fans who met him today are doing that and he's been responding.

https://twitter.com/cubs2084/status/328356958161760257/photo/1

cubs2084 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 28, 2013

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Violet_Sky posted:

:3: I'm so jealous that you got to meet JewWario. I wish I had the chance to meet TGWTG celebrities, but they all seem to meet up on the east coast. I'd really like to meet Doug Walker and Todd. They seem like such nice people.

Justin was SUPER nice. I figured he was because he always comes off that way, but man. He was just all sorts of personable, we compared con day notes, he showed off his Elekid doll that Peter Davidson signed and we had a moment of "Dude, we met Peter Davidson! Isn't he so friendly and cool?!". I was having a great day as it was, but ending it meeting him out of freaking no where was icing on the cake. I felt like a bit of an idiot at first. I glanced over and was all "wait a minute..." Doubled back, got a good look at him and went "Justin Carmical?" Good times.

I could have met Doug Walker a few years ago. I was at ACen here in Chicago when he was. Of course it wasn't until I got home that I saw on his site that he was there. I was so bummed. But at least there I got to meet Shinichi Watanabe, the crazy Nabeshin behind Excel Saga.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was surprised to see that in his latest review, Spoony is again using the Andrew Dickman animation. He stopped using that after they had some kind of falling out, but I guess maybe they worked it out?

I'd noticed Andrew Dickman had stopped doing the art for a lot of his usual clients, most notably Phelous and Nostalgia Chick. Did he just have some big falling out with everyone, or stop doing bumper art work, or what?

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Pirate Jenny posted:

Yeah he still interacts with them on the Twitter, doesn't seem to have been a falling out. He had been talking about wanting to focus on his own projects/professional work, and didn't have time to do weekly title cards anymore.

Oh, he got work on a professional series, eh? Good for him.

I don't have Twitter, and only bother to follow a couple people on the facebooks, so when people I like on the internet seem to vanish, I'm sort of out of the loop unless it's mentioned in something they produce or what have you. I suppose that's my own loss, but whatever. Just keep producing the content I like and I'll keep reading or watching. I don't need to year your 140 character thoughts.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

I think you misheard. He said Jeff Goldblum wasn't unknown, but Jurassic Park pushed him into huge popularity. Which is totally accurate.

I liked that. He should do that more often, pick apart movies he clearly adores.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

He sounded so SAD. The abruptness of this is really strange. Something bad must have happened, either in his life or somewhere inside emotionally. I feel bad. Both to see him stop making content of any kind, and because he seems like good people who shouldn't be so damned bummed out. Blah.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

echopapa posted:

Marzgurl is trying out for the reality show "King of the Nerds.

She's certainly qualified, and I'd like to see her on TV, but she's not much of a drama magnet, so I don't know if I'd cast her if I were a producer.

I kind of hope she makes it on, if only to see if we get another situation like when Egoraptor was on The Tester. Even if not, she got my vote.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Cartoon Violence posted:

Does anyone know if there's a good summary of the EgoRaptor / Tester thing somewhere on the internet? I wasn't around for it, but if it's every bit of great as I'm imagining, I'd love to read what happened. I would just watch the show itself, but something tells me that it wouldn't even give me half the story between the lines.]

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4CBF2DBA2A1EEE66

The editing is a bit irritating with this (did we really need clips where only his shoulder his visible?), but this guy collected scenes he was actively involved in on the show. It doesn't really give you the full picture of watching a whole episode, such as seeing how manufactured drama and fake pretty much everyone else is. But even here you can see how Arin from the get go is here to have fun, and just how ridiculously manipulative and biased against him the people involved in the show are, because he was showing the world what a joke this was.

What's really telling is looking at the viewing numbers of the show. 250,000 viewer range the first 3 episodes. Then 123,000 for 4, and in the 80,000's for 5, pretty much never topping 5 figures for the rest of the run.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Benne posted:

Well hey, not only was this unfunny, it's also a ripoff of the Animaniacs "Please Please Please Get a Life Foundation" sketch.

Not really? Animaniacs was hardly the first to tell nit-picky nerds to knock it off. This is more them trying to make response videos in the same vein that some of the more naturally meme'd ones have (such as the Futurama clip "I don't want to live on this planet any more"). I agree it's not funny, but to call it a rip off is just inaccurate.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

somekindofguy posted:

Episodes like this make me appreciate how much craft Doug puts into his episodes compared to your average internet critic. The relaxed schedule helps too; you wouldn't see half the shots you saw int his episode if Doug was still doing a weekly thing. If this helps him break out of the box he was in with old NC, more power to him.

As to the review: my only experience with AI was learning about the alternate reality game around it. A couple of the points went on a bit long (Chris Rock robot, the TMZ thing [kudos for mimicking the format of the show though]), but the point about this film being an homage to Kubrick was a nice one. I can appreciate the intent behind the movie at least.

My one other gripe is Doug talking about how to represent people's work accurately when he was ripping on an obviously exaggerated version of TMZ. I'm leaning towards it being tongue-in-cheek, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone thick accused him of libel or slander or some poo poo like that. It was a bit hard to tell at points.

The change in both schedule and restrictions was the best thing that could have happened to Doug. With the exception perhaps of Son of The Mask, he so far has been doing movies he's more passionate about, either in having a strong opinion on why it's so offensive beyond the production/quality issues, why it's worth your time, or why it's severely misunderstood by all. He seems to be loving what he's doing again and it really helps.

Also, I had no idea that the aliens in the end were actually robots. How the hell was that supposed to be clear to anyone?

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Rebochan posted:

I seem to remember that as well, but it's been a looooong time since I saw this movie.

I actually remember not getting why everyone wanted the ending to cut at the Blue Fairy under the ocean. I'm not saying what we got was great, but the problem with the alternative is that it's the just the most default pretentious "failure ending" anyone can think of. The ending we do get isn't actually a happy ending either.

Humanity's greatest fear was being replaced by their robots, which is exactly what happened. They appear "alien" because at this point, they have no reason to maintain humanoid appearances. They looked human before because it made humans more comfortable to see robots that resembled them. A race of JUST robots would not have concern for aesthetics. Going the "grey alien" route with the design is an obvious mistake on the filmmakers part though, because most audience see that and just go "Oh, aliens!" So even if you tell them something else, they're still going to be operating under their first impression instead.

David is obsessed with the image of a mother who was in fact a terrible person. He is programmed to love her and cannot self-terminate until he reaches her. I assumed the "Blue Fairy" in the ending was just a hologram the hyper-advanced robots used to communicate to him with something they knew he understood. Frankly, I don't even buy that the "soul revival" thing was real. The "one day" limit? Something to cut down on how long they needed to deal with David. He's actually depicted breathing (blowing out birthday candles) and sleeping, something he cannot do as a robot. The whole illusion was an attempt to shut him down without him waking up and running off again.

And yea, this means their best record of humanity is of a child with irresponsible parents and creators. This ain't a happy ending - it's a testament to the hubris of an extinct race.

Doesn't really make the criticisms of it less valid though. I never really felt an urge to run out and see this movie again, but it always urks me every time I hear another person prattling on about "Turn off the movie when you THINK it's ending!"

You know, I think by the end I was pretty checked out, and haven't watched it more than the once, so I guess it's possible I missed it. Though Doug himself seemed to indicate it wasn't obviously stated.

As for the whole 'It should have ended at the Blue Fairy' argument, that's not one I ever heard discussed with the movie much. I'd have to watch it again to really judge how good an idea that would be.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
I think it's probably a combination of the two. As Doug tellingly said himself, "time is money". So if he's going to take the time to do this, he may as well both give something to the fans and make some money too. I think that's entirely fair, since he didn't otherwise indicate anything but genuine interest in doing this.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Comrade Question posted:

Didn't watch because I don't see him in any way qualified to talk about this. Anyone, please inform me if it somehow manages to be worth watching anyway, tia.

(That's why it would be nice if the human RSS thing could be accompanied by at least a few comments by the way)

Boy, sound more stuck up why don't you.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
Blip had decided this week I need Real Housewives of New Jersey commercials before every video. Annoying? Sure. Solution? Hit the mute button for 30 seconds. Bam. Person I'm watching gets their 27 cents or whatever from my view, and I don't have to listen to that crap. Frankly it seems like MORE effort to get an ad blocker for the thing.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Benne posted:

So what Blip ad exec looked at the demographic numbers for TGWTG and decided that those people are also big fans of Real Housewives of New Jersey?

Because that person needs to be fired like yesterday.

drat right

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Rebochan posted:

Wow, I tried to keep my eyes open for people like him at E3. Best I could do was Ashly and Anthony Burch...who are not internet critics.

They aren't internet critics, but does that make meeting them any less cool?

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
Ugh. If this Jon leaving this is real, I think I'm done with Game Grumps. I'll try to give this new duo a fair chance, but I'm not hopeful. The reason I enjoy it even when it's not so great is because I've liked Jon and Arin individually forever, and they're tight-knit friendship comes through to make it usually enjoyable. For Jon to just quit because some people kept bitching that he didn't make his own content fast enough just feels like a mistake, bending to the vocal minority. Cause if nothing else, he surely makes way more from Game Grumps, if only for the sheer amount of consistent views it gets from the production rate. I am not happy.

Also, this 'Steam Train' thing looks like a mess too.

cubs2084 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 26, 2013

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Rebochan posted:

Oh hey, it's new Histoy of Power Rang-oh, wait...it's the Nostalgia Critic?

Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie

I'm not sure why he did this. He said himself several times he wasn't a fan growing up. The whole review came off that way. He really should have done that with Linkara for more than the quick gag at the end, balance out his apathy towards the franchise. Missed opportunity.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Maremidon posted:

So what is with those weirdly long awkward paint commercials on blip that you have to manually end? Is blip punishing people for adblocking all that time?

I prefer that to the "Summer Camp" reality show ones I've been seeing all week. "He's a virgin, so he MUST be horny." "Nothing like summer camp for finding hot guys." "Let's just say it's a really good thing the showers here are cold." *facepalm* I expect USA to have a bit more class than base reality show trash like this.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
Oh boy. I'm positive one of them will be Jack and Jill, since everyone despised that. Rightfully so.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
Speaking of Phelous. I got into him about 3 years ago. I never did a backlog on his stuff, cause there was just too much of it. Over the years, he's made a lot of references to his first video, Mac and Me. Thought I'd give that a look tonight. That was SO weird. The editing was there, the jokes were there. But he was monotone the entire time. Even when he was trying to be indignant, it just came out as an exhausted whisper. None of the exaggerated or bombastically sarcastic tone that I so associate with his style at all. I kinda want to see him remake it. That movie sounds truly awful, and his more refined style would suit it. Mike Jeavons did that for his 4th anniversary, went and re-reviewed his first movie. Phelous should for his 5th.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah he started by doing reviews of bad Voyager episodes and then moved on to do all of Trek, as well as other Sci Fi.

This I will have to check out.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Infamous Sphere posted:

In regards to Magic Mike - ok, I really should actually watch the film, and decide for myself - I was just a little put off by the whole...idea that there was random fanservice lesbianism/threesome stuff thrown in. Two queer friends of mine (one male, one female) saw it, and said it was "Ok - and very straight." I won't necessarily like it because it's got dark elements in it - after all, I hated Black Swan, but I probably should give it at least a try.

Why does dark film content bother you so much?

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
So we finally got some word from JonTron himself as to why he left, albeit a bit against his will:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc5N5wcX3nI&feature=youtu.be

As he put it, he went to New York for his own career reasons, not just to be with his girlfriend. And that's totally fair.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
I watched all the TGWTG anniversary shorts. Thoughts on each:

Dragonbored. Interesting commentary on people who get lost in heroic fantasies, but in turn never learn anything from these fictional ideals and try to see the joy and excitement in their own lives. Wasn't overly funny, but at least it had a lot of the effort Doug Walker's team has really been putting forth in recent months. Plus I dug the lack of happy ending for the rear end in a top hat main character.

Dragged In. Fairly pointless and unmemorable. They went a long way just to make a "cats poop a lot and are awful" joke (even putting aside the fact I love cats and disagree with this anyway). Disappointing effort from Scifi Guy.

The Reviewers. Pretty in line with the usual Brad Jones faire. A few laughs, a pretty self-aware and informed commentary on what they were discussing. When it came out, I noticed people here saying this was another example of them attacking their critics and being thin skinned and mean about it. I didn't really come away with that. They were taking issue with people who try to get fans by being mean spirited and hateful, as well as those who think getting a fanbase is as simple as making a video and throwing it out there, regardless of quality or effort. A bit of their usual arrogant air, sure, but it didn't feel like over-sensitive defending.

Internet Dating and Me. The gem of the bunch. Mike plays a vapid, arrogant version of himself, and ends up in your classic mix up situation and two people who don't like each other trading insults. And a great ending totally fitting to his usual style. I really don't know why Mike Jeavons isn't more popular. I've enjoyed a majority of his stuff.

The Dark Side of the Internet. I hate to admit this, but I just stopped this halfway through. It was just a circle of "The internet is awesome! But people can also be mean" from various people who make internet videos. I wasn't seeing anything new or profound, just different versions of the same point. If by the end there's some profound revelation that will make me think, please tell me and I'll go finish it. But I doubt it.

Pointless Epilogue. Pointless indeed, but silly.

Really, the only consistent thing with them were Nash's intro bits. I laughed at them every time. Now there's a guy I'd love to see do more scripted stuff.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

drat :( Allison, since I know you're in this topic, my direct condolences to you. I lost my cat of 13 years a few months ago. It's tough, but remember all the happy memories.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
I've discovered that Brad Jones and crews' Current Movie Reviews are far more enjoyable when I watch them after actually watching the movie they're talking about, as I actually have context to what they're talking about beyond just their reactions.

The exception, of course, are really awful kids movies I'm never going to see, like the Smurfs movies. Those are so much gold, just for Jake's rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/phelous/40207-jacobs-ladder

Did....did Phelous just end his show?....

• Locked thread