Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

A little late, but while the Son of the Mask review was weak, this was a return to form for new NC. I liked that he did a little research into the history of The King and I to provide context, his jokes were pretty on-target, and I really liked the "Pretty Princesses make up most of world history" line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Catwomen review was kind of meh. Movie wasn't interestingly terrible, and the subplot was mostly cringe-worthy. Doug is definitely putting in effort with new NC, but it seems hit and miss.

Still better than a lot of old NC.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
... So am I the only one who kind of wants to see The Cat In The Hat now? The clips shown were such a pandering unpleasant assault on the senses they inadvertently became hilarious to me.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Watch as I write a CD style essay on how it is secretly a masterpiece and you all just don't "get it"(I am not actually going to do this)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mischalaniouse posted:

Do we still talk about Game Grump in this thread? Because if so, I just want to say it is so god damned frustrating watching them play a game that you like, because they are so bad at figuring out ANYTHING AT ALL. They recently played the Godzilla Destroy All Monsters Melee fighting game for the Gamecube again, using codes to unlock all the monsters but they are so freaking bad at it, which wouldn't frustrate me so much because they've only played it once before, but they do not experiment at all with any buttons. They just mindlessly mash the same buttons over and over and then complain about the "lack of moves" when the game has tons of stuff you can do, and tons of strategy outside of just button mashing punches and kicks at each other. Jon flies once with Rodan, never with King Ghidorah, and Arin throws a building once (which is a huge part of the game). They don't figure out how to use energy attacks until the last fight of the video. Argh, I'm just getting so inordinately pissed about this. Does anyone else feel this way about watching their videos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3u32Jp9mJ8

Many people feel this way, but will not actually stop watching their videos due to some reason that remains mysterious to many of us.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

mind the walrus posted:

Because I'm pretty sure he's not actually writing the pieces out of a deep knowledge of fiction but rather pandering to the fans who butter his bread, which I'm willing to bet aren't very culturally savvy and likely quite young, and thus willing to eat up this kind-of content without a second glance.

I'm sorry, are you telling me ultranerds are less likely to care about details of the political arrangements in a fantasy world?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
New Between The Lines from Oancitizen.

Short, but interesting and well-researched. It's good to have him back.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

NienNunb posted:

While not necessarily new, I just recently watched Retsupurae's commentary on Nostalgia Critic's Bart's Nightmare LP, and holy poo poo. For anyone who's not a fan of NC like me, this video sums up everything thats terrible about his schtick.

I dunno, Retsupurae, much as I like them, kind of phoned it in with that one. Nidoking and Psychedelic Eyeball's videos were better, I feel.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Man I remember when Spoony was the funniest reviewer ever and I was excited every time he did a video.

Did he change more, or did I?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
How is Y the Ruler of Time? I've never watched his stuff.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The Cinema Snob covers Heartbeeps

Weird how this and the Nostalgia Critic's review of AI came out so close together. They're thematically similar in some interesting ways.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

So much is indicated just by the title.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Dinosaur Satan posted:

The main problem is he never explores the titular question. He could discuss the issue of classification, the art of disparate elements that make up a game vs the the art of a game as a whole, must art be presented or can it exist independent of display, and Conceptualism. When he talks about the possibility of video games being high art, he doesn't talk about what sort of criteria would qualify a game as high art. After all, a video game is not a film, so the same parameters that would qualify a film, like cinematography, story, and score, may not apply. I know some people think a game like Crusader Kings 2, where you have a sandbox and create your own story, is as close as games get. Other people think a game like Bioshock Infinite that mirrors a film's elements is the way forward. Still others think finely tuned gameplay like you'd find in Tetris makes a game glorious. Oancitizen sticks his toe in when he talks about Shopenhauer's definition of art vs Dewey's, but I'd love to see a more detailed analysis.

I'm really not sure you are going to get that if you are looking at it from people who make a living talking about how lovely The Room is while making dick jokes.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
This is probably the best thing to come out of the Master of Disguise.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Xander77 posted:

How do you write a dozen twits on the same subject without realizing that twitter may not be the best platform for communicating... anything?

To be fair, everyone does this on twitter.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
That Zach Snyder sure is a pretty good internet critic.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I've kind of given up on Spoony for things that aren't Counter Monkeys.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So I was checking out some of The Bunny Perspective's backlog because I was bored and I've enjoyed some of his stuff and I found this which is uh, :stare:

I kept waiting for the "but no that perspective is horrible" thing to come, but it never did. And just to clarify, I'm someone who thinks Michael Jackson never molested anyone, probably.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah the Bunny Perspective guy has some really weird points of view on certain topics.
Well yeah but there's a difference between liking Party Rock Anthem and MLP and whatever the hell that was.

Benny the Snake posted:

This guy is obviously saying vile things in order to get attention. I mean, loving really?

I don't think he's saying it to get attention. It's such a weirdly formed and vapid argument that it probably comes from someplace real.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

prahanormal posted:

I can only think of those three episodes as being egregiously bad, most of his other ones are great. :smith:

Yeah, I wanna like him and I like his style and gimmick, but that video was just ugh.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sundiata posted:

.......Doug's doing a Power Rangers sketch now. ....Kay.

That review was okay.

Not great, but it filled 30 minutes and kept me watching. Linkara scaring the villain away via sperging was pretty funny, though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Benne posted:

Hop into the nostalgia time machine, 90's kids, because MovieBob is taking you back to a show you probably shouldn't be nostalgic for: :krad: STREET SHARKS :krad:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/7543-Jawsome

Huh, so that's what those sharkman action figures I had as a kid were for.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Hey is Stuff You Like any good?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
They don't get brought up a lot, but Retsupurae just closed out their look at the Ambition series of flash games and I'd recommend watching that series of videos if you haven't. It's a wild and :psyduck: ride through a tale told by an idiot, signifying nothing.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So what is with those weirdly long awkward paint commercials on blip that you have to manually end? Is blip punishing people for adblocking all that time?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

SatansBestBuddy posted:

So. MovieBob is now selling a book on SMB3.

I'm... not entirely sure how to take this. He's a pretty self-admittedly huge Nintendo fanboy, so I can see him actually having some insight into this game purely by virtue of being such a big fan that he'd play it to the point of memorization. But I can also easily see this as yet more self-indulgent nerd nostalgia gushing over a bygone era of video game magic that will never again be captured as perfectly as that moment you first played this game because you're not eight years old anymore.

I wouldn't read it either way. If anything this is just a reminder that I haven't watched Game Overthinker in over a year, possibly two.

According to the /v/ thread I read(never ever read a /v/ thread) it's mostly weird ruminations about his life mixed with a text LP. It's about as engaging as it sounds.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Speaking of The Lone Ranger, Oancitizen tackles a much better take on the old cowboys and indians formula starring Johnny Depp with Dead Man.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ZeeBoi posted:

Spoony continued to be a grumpy nitpicking shithead in his vlog of Pacific Rim. Guy couldn't just have fun with the movie and made it SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Well he said it was gonna suck before it came out, and it's not like Spoony the great is gonna go back on what he said.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

OldTennisCourt posted:

Spoony is one of the biggest self hating nerds I've ever seen. He's a gigantic loving dork but he feels the need to act like h's above it all.

So he'd fit right in on SA then! :v:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

miscellaneous14 posted:

I really wish any and all internet celebrities would keep some things to themselves. It seems like every time I'd like to watch Two Best Friends again, Matt does something really creepy that totally puts me off the show.

I fixed that to make it even more true than it already was.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Does anyone know if there's someone else who does what Linkara does? I enjoy seeing bad silver-age oddities, corporate cash-ins and baffling editorial mandates being torn apart, but I don't want to have to deal with all the problems Linkara has. And yes, I already know that several bloggers do this, but I kinda want to see another video critic who does it. Am I asking the impossible?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Bennett The Sage did another music review video. I am informed Todd appears to rant about Peter Cetera.

EDIT: Just watched the entire video, and it's pretty boring. Can't recommend it.

The Vosgian Beast fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 5, 2013

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

:catstare:

About how creepy is this video?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cannot Find Server posted:

This new Miley Cyrus song and her accompanying image reaffirms my belief that she is headed the way of Lindsey Lohan, and fast.

I doubt it, she's just partying like every other rich white girl her age. I haven't heard about any drug busts or arrests.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So has anyone actually watched either of Spoony's lengthy new Counter Monkey videos? I'm vaguely interested, but don't want to waste time on a video of him rambling about nothing while flipping through books again.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Bennett just release his top 20 best hit songs list.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Halibut Barn posted:

Spoony has a new video about The Bureau, the game that started the whole "Betrayal!" thing, and...well, his opinion will hardly be surprising, but jeez, throughout the whole video he looks like he's just a moment away from slitting his wrists right then and there. I know the game is bad and boring, but usually he can muster up more energy than this.

Does he address the theory that it's his fault it's mediocre?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Personally I'm looking forward to his Beyond The Black Rainbow review. That one oughta put him on more comfortable footing.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

rjryan3 posted:

Don't mind Kunster, Jay O. That guy seems to have a deep hatred toward anything related to Doug Walker.

They didn't say anything to each other, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

rjryan3 posted:

This is what I mean about you hating everything related to Doug Walker. You criticizing Kyle for doing something that he isn't actually doing!
Not to speak for him, but I'm pretty sure Kunster is not finding reasons to hate someone very tangentially related to Doug Walker due to his blood vengeance against the Nostalgia Critic or something.

• Locked thread