Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Holes was one of my favorite movies growing up, I remember having to see it for school since we were reading the book at the same time. I highly recommend getting the DVD for it and listening to the cast commentary with most of the boys, they just have a great time talking about being in the film.
I remember being a tad jealous, in elementary school, of the kids who were a grade higher than us because they got to read Holes and watch the movie while we had to read The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe for the second time and watch the hilariously bad BBC adaption of it. I hadn't actually read the book at that point but I thought it sounded really cool. Then I read it and it surpassed my expectations.

I wish Doug hadn't made the music so loud in that video, it almost drowns him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
That Drake song just made me wonder if that's what this Jon Lajoie song was making fun of. It's pretty amusing to see Drake bragging about "starting at the bottom" when he grew up privileged and had a prominent role on Degrassi.

Man, Todd is right about 2013 being a boring year for music. Right now, I can only name 3 songs that came out this year that I really liked (I Don't Need A Reason by Dizzee Rascal, Cookie Thumper by Die Antwoord and Hopeless Wanderer by Mumford And Sons) and they weren't even hits. Except for maybe that last one.

I've started to like Todd's One Hit Wonderland videos a whole lot more than his song reviews. Mostly because they're really interesting and super fun to watch and partly because there's only so much you can say about one song, especially the dull poo poo that came out this year.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 13, 2014

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Jesus loving christ, that's just awful. Came out of nowhere and I can't imagine what his family is going through right now. I never did watch his videos but he seemed like a really pleasant guy.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I happened to be listening to another early 90's one hit wonder when I came across this and man, I'd be thrilled if Todd does an episode on Informer by Snow. Or Steal My Sunshine by Len. Or Around The World by ATC.

Not my favourite One Hit Wonderland of his but then again, the material he's covering isn't very interesting to begin with so there's not that much you can say about it.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 7, 2014

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Infamous Sphere posted:

I really want him to do Tarzan Boy by Baltimora.
Oh my god, same here. Tainted Love by Soft Cell would be great too. Same with any one of those two songs from Flashdance.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

Sam Mraovich... I feel as though he should be at least as notorious as Tommy Wiseau, but he just seems like a vastly less compelling guy.
The only similarity between him and Wiseau is that they both made bad movies, have huge egos and they like showing off their naked bodies a bit too much.

Ben And Arthur is my favourite review of Obscurus Lupa's. Unlike The Room, it's kind of a painful movie to watch without some commentary. There's still a lot of hilarious little things in it though, like how Ben decided to drop his nursing career to wash dishes, a lot of the homophobic characters are clearly played by gay people and Vermont is somehow full of palm trees.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Miss Wallace posted:

My favorite scene in particular is when his brother tapes a "holy water potion" to the door to try and cure him of his gayness.
It's great how Arthur takes one look at the holy water (which was made through a "recipe" instead of y'know, just being blessed by a priest) and somehow immediately knows what it is. I also love how Sam Mraovich clearly doesn't know much about Christianity. I'm not religious but I've never heard a Catholic priest talk about negative energy and bad karma.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Infamous Sphere posted:

I have to disagree with you on that note.
I wasn't talking about the actual movies, I was talking about the people who made them. I also re-watched Ben And Arthur for the first time in years and while it's not as funny as The Room, it still has a whole lot in common with it and a lot of baffling moments. Like when Ben's phone goes off while they're on their honeymoon and you hear an actual cell phone ring, then an audio clip of Sam Mraovich imitating a cell phone and then another ring. :psyduck: It's hilarious.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Len (remember them?)
Yeah, they're from my country and did this song. Then again, I was just a toddler when that song came out so I wouldn't actually "remember" them. It'd be cool if Todd does episode on them though.

Speaking of unique acts, Gorillaz apparently counts as a one hit wonder. I refuse to believe that.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Holy poo poo, the song he used at the end of the video. :roflolmao:
For those who don't get it, it's that song where a bunch of racist douchebags sing about how much they love Asian girls.
:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KgnlTdmmkE:nws:

That Talk Dirty song sucks but at least JR Rotem had nothing to do with it. That guy embodied everything I hate about sampling.
Here are his worst offenders:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4-fuceJUmA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiIAtQ-NmUg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PYYikHCovA

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
What's the song that plays at 16:45? Also, holy poo poo, the first time I saw the trailer for this movie, I thought it was a joke.

Edit: Thanks a lot.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 20, 2014

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I was looking at A Talking Cat!?!'s IMDB page and apparently it cost about a million dollars to make. :psyduck:

Edit: Yeah, a lot of edits on IMDB are jokes so that's probably what it was.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 21, 2014

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
New One Hit Wonderland, Absolutely (Story of a Girl)" by Nine Days.
http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/one-hit-wonderland-absolutely-story-of-a-girl-by-nine-days-6876346

I've never actually heard this song. But then again, no one remembers most of the music from 2000 anymore.

Edit: I'll be honest, that was kind of boring. There's not much you can really get into a 12 minute video when the subject matter is extremely bland. The Ghetto Superstar video was pretty awesome though. I never knew Pras was an "actor" and those clips of him in that crappy movie were hilarious.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 9, 2014

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
New One Hit Wonderland: Biz Markie - Just A Friend

I saw the music video (with different audio so Biz Markie's "singing" was a funny surprise) for this earlier today and was wondering what song it was from. Nice that I know now.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 20, 2014

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Biz Markie is a legend.
That rendition of Benny And The Jets had me dying. He's pretty great.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

You gotta love a guy who's obviously having the time of his life. He might not have an amazing singing voice (he makes it work,) but the guy just has amazing charisma and presence.
Totally. I'm not surprised that Biz Markie on a kids show too. He seems like the kind of person that little kids would love and I don't mean that as an insult.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Todd reviews that really boring cod reggae song that's been on the radio a lot lately.
http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/rude-by-magic-a-pop-song-review-6988062

Huh, didn't know Magic was from Toronto like Snow was. I actually like Informer in a guilty pleasure sort of way but I guess it's better than hating it considering the radio stations here are required by law to have 35 percent of their content be Canadian. You Americans should be grateful that Hedley isn't big down there.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 10, 2014

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
INFORRRMUR
YOUKNOWSAYLFDJGWONOWVVNIGONBLAME
A LICKY BOOM BOOM DOWNNNN
http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/one-hit-wonderland-informer-by-snow-6998443

Here's a song I've been pretty stoked to see Todd review. :woop:

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 22, 2014

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
K-os is great. It's always nice hearing him on the radio as opposed to hearing Hedley for the fifth time today. Only song from Hedley I've ever thought sounded good is also a blatant Get Lucky rip-off so they're totally worthless. Jakalope and The Headpins are good too but they don't get played very often.

Speaking of Canadian one hit wonders, I'd love it if Todd ever does an episode on Len. I've checked out their other songs and they seem like a really interesting band.

Vanilla Ice is a douche. I remember hearing how he was on some reality show with Gary Coleman and he'd try to get him to say "Whatchu talkin' bout Willis" and when Coleman didn't want to, Ice picked him up, carried him around and said he was being too uptight about being a star once. Vanilla Ice also got really pissy whenever anyone bought up his rap career or called him by his stage name. :ironicat:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
New Cinemadonna episode: Shanghai Surprise.
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/tis/toddspecials/44288-cinemadonna-shanghai-surprise

I remember hearing from my mom that this is a really bad movie so this oughta be good.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Testekill posted:

Todd is on part four of Cinemadonna with Who's That Girl.

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/cinemadonna-who-s-that-girl-7022057
Madonna's voice in this just makes me want to strangle something. God, I couldn't imagine sitting through that for an hour and a half.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

Todd is all about that bass, about that bass, no treble.

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/all-about-that-bass-by-meghan-trainor-a-pop-song-review-7037528

I didn't know about Ke$ha's eating disorder. :smith:
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that every single big white girl who auditions for a talent show gets compared to Adele. It's so stupid and irritating.

I don't really know what else to say about the song that he already mentioned, aside from the fact that her voice sounds really fake.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
New Cinemadonna: Bloodhounds On Broadway.

I'm curious to know how this is as bad as A Certain Sacrifice. That was barely even a movie.

Edit: Now I feel bad for Todd for probably having to watch this like ten times. So goddamn boring.

IMDB posted:

The film went into nationwide release with one reel missing. No one noticed.
I know IMDB can be edited by pretty much anyone but I can believe that.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 6, 2014

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
She's a maniac, maaaaaniac on the floor.
http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/one-hit-wonderland-maniac-by-michael-sembello-7094078

Todd kept going on in his Twitter about how he discovered the most awesome thing ever while doing research for this video. I love this song too so I can't wait.

Edit: It blew my mind too when I learned that the song was originally about a serial killer. Someone bought that up in a different thread when I mentioned that Michael Sembello looked nothing like I expected him too.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 30, 2014

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Foodfight is like kind of like the animated version of The Garbage Pail Kids in that it almost makes me feel sick when I try to watch it. Everything about the two movies is just so gross and so vile.

I wonder if any of the voice actors remember recording their lines. I'll bet a lot of them were secretly thinking "What the hell. Isn't this supposed to be a kids movie?"

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Leal posted:

When the line "There are some stains you can never wash out" is said it really sounds like Charlie Sheen was thinking "What the gently caress am I saying?"
The thing that skeeved me out the most was how Hilary Duff was probably around 14 or 15 when her lines were recorded.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Lovin You by Minnie Riperton would be an interesting episode. I don't think anyone actually likes that song but there's some neat background information. Same goes for Mickey by Toni Basil but I actually kind of like it in a guilty pleasure sort of way.

Todd really needs to do What Is Love by Haddaway. There's plenty of early 90's stuff that he could review. I think I remember him saying that Jump Around by House Of Pain is his favourite one hit wonder.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Rantasmo reviews Top Gun.
http://blip.tv/needsmoregay/top-gun-needs-more-gay-7114236

I agree with him that Top Gun isn't really as homoerotic as a lot of people say it is. Anyone who calls Top Gun the gayest 80's movie probably hasn't seen Commando. Speaking of which, I'm surprised Rantasmo hasn't done a video on that yet.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I remember Todd saying he hated Me And My Broken Heart (I did too) so that's probably gonna be on the worst list or at least a dishonorable mention. Come With Me Now is gonna be on the best list, I'm sure of it. Rather Be is gonna be high up there, if not #1. 2014 was a pretty lame year for music. It even made me nostalgic for 2012. There's gonna be a lot of picks on the best-of list that were only played on the radio like once or twice.

I still agree with him putting Roar as #1 last year. The stations around here play that all the time and I always change it instantly. It's such a boring, worthless song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I just clicked on the stream 2 minutes ago and what the hell is this? :stare: Is it basically the VHS Rent A Friend thing but with a creepy British guy?

Edit: Oh god, my skin is crawling.

• Locked thread