Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

MisterBadIdea posted:

If you guys go to https://www.chezapocalypse.com Lindsay has been writing a memoir about her life as a young fangirl in apparently a buttload of different fandoms, starting with her elementary-school obsession with cats.

The cat town story made me sad :( I really enjoy her writing though- it's hard to be that honest about yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Infamous Sphere posted:

If it's Ok to shill your own show - I have a show! Well, sort of a couple of shows. I review LGBT movies (Infamous Queer and Gender Hipster Reviews) and period dramas (Period Drama Drama.)
My approach is a mix of humourous and analytical - I'd say my style is probably relatively similar to Oancitizen's.

I'm open to any recommendations/suggestions - I'd love it if anyone could suggest more good lesbian movies, as my show is VERY scant on lesbian content. I just find that gay male movies tend to have more interesting plots (whether in a good or bad way) whereas lesbian movies seem to be mostly about two feminine stereotypically attractive middle class white women falling in love tastefully. Or they're Black Swan. (I will be taking an axe to Black Swan VERY soon, don't you worry.)

I liked "Fingersmith" and "Tipping the Velvet" quite a bit- they are both movies based on books by the same author. Fingersmith is freaking awesome, so don't spoil yourself on it beforehand! They are both also period pieces.

e: I watched your Beauty review. I like your reviewing style- the only thing that sort of bugged me was the quick cuts of multiple camera angles on you while you were talking. It was a little distracting and seems unnecessary.

I'd watch more though- I enjoy the new perspective on films!

Leelee fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 23, 2013

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Jesto posted:

Nostalgia Chick & Nella discuss Stephanie Meyer's new shitheap, The Host! http://www.blip.tv/nostalgia-chick/the-host-2013-a-review-6561205

This review primarily discusses the godawfulness of the story, the condescending 'sci-fi for women' selling point and what a fantastically terrible impact it will have on women's lit movies for years to come.

I also hope Chick ditches the multiple camera angles switching around seemingly at random. They're kind of annoying.

Also, when people post links to new reviews in here, can they give a quick rundown about the review? Just seeing "(Critic) uploaded (Book/Movie/Game video)" doesn't exactly inspire much incentive to click. Say something you liked or disliked about the video.

This is the first movie I've seen to get an "F" in Entertainment Weekly in some time (yes, I read it.) The reviewer even said they don't have a Stephanie Meyer bias, it's just that the movie was just that boring and awful. It sucks because I like both of the female actresses in the movie, but it sounds like the script failed them.

I do disagree that they don't blame male actors for movies tanking- Taylor Kitsch got blamed for John Carter failing AND took flack for Battleship. Being an actor/actress must be like being a waiter- if the food sucks it's your fault even though you had nothing to do with the preparation- you're just delivering the product (with flair!)

e: agree on the multiple camera angles- I find them very distracting when reviewers do this. I don't need the quick jumps to keep my interest.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
I just watched Doug's The King and I review. Wow...just...wow. I had no idea that cartoon was that bad. I lost it at the CGI statues moving in on the king and the stupid panther roaring at them. All the kid friendly changes too! Tuptim is with the prince? Of course there's no "Small House of Uncle Thomas", and the King LIVES? I loved this musical as a kid- I didn't need anything dumbed down for me.

Doug has to stop with his gimmicks. I know he thinks he has a great singing voice, but doing that Grinch thing in the King and I video made no sense, and (whispers) he's not that great.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

achillesforever6 posted:

Brad doing Beyond the Valley of the Dolls
Never heard about this movie other than Roger Ebert wrote it

OMG. It is AMAZING. I can't wait to see this! This quote comes from it:

and has this dancing!

I don't know if it's a movie that was made in earnest and then later said to be a parody such as the Room, or really was a parody, but it is great to watch if you love terrible movies.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
I never really followed him, but I caught this on tumblr: http://hopewithinchaos.tumblr.com/post/47709945973/my-final-stream-4-13-13-why-im-disappearing. This is the same person (HopeWithinChaos) who had was e-begging before for money previously, if my memory serves. Well, now if you don't help him he will be out of a home, you jerks.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Benne posted:

It's been a while since Lindsay released a proper Nostalgia Chick video.

"Top 10 music videos of the 90's"

http://blip.tv/nostalgia-chick/nostalgia-chick-top-ten-music-videos-of-the-90-s-6578188

drat, that one was good. Brought back sooo many memories of music videos that I watched with friends from middle school through college. It left me with "Virtual Insanity" in my head for days though.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
What ultimately happens is if they don't generate income from ads, they don't produce more content. I don't know how this is a hard concept for some people. They're not being greedy assholes by asking fans to sit through 30 seconds of an ad- this is either a full or part time job. From adblock to Kickstarter, I'm not sure I follow some fans' mentalities what they think they are entitled to: art is work, I don't mind compensating someone for that work.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

I gave :rolleyes: to the whole "Thor was a DUDE?" thing. C'mon, man, really? I know it's being humorous, but it just fell so flat and was a really lazy joke.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Rebochan posted:

Yup, same here >_< I also had one video glitch out on the volume controls during the midroll ad...forcing me to reload the video and watch the ad again.

Yeah, same issue. Whyy are they showing Real Housewives now? I preferred the Virgin Airlines with the fake!Hunger Games. I dubbed their fake rock band "Crankstank" and now everytime it plays I yell to my husband, "CRANKSTANK IS PLAYING!"

I know, cool story, bro.

At least you can riff the quiet ads.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Rebochan posted:

Nostalgia Critic: Master of Disguise

My sister saw this one in theaters. She was...insanely regretful. Also, I think she might have been one of only five people that bothered?

Kinda surprised the Critic didn't bring up Dana Carvey's heart problems - this movie was supposed to be a comeback project for him after he'd been out of the spotlight for a few years dealing with his health. I think it frankly makes the failure of the film all that much sadder.

Also, source for that Mike Nelson quote from the start of the review. Since I suspect I wasn't the only one wondering what he considered the ACTUAL worst comedy film of all time.

...I also saw it in the theater. I don't know why. I was enraged the entire time. DATA FARTS should be the real title of the movie.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Benne posted:

Dan Olson of Foldable Ideas takes on MRAs (spoiler: they're idiots, but you already knew that). He also reveals an interesting detail about his past. Pro read.

http://chezapocalypse.com/shut-the-up-about-systemic-misandry/

This was an awesome read, btw. Thanks for sharing.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
I'm glad Todd in the Shadows saved me from hate-watching Burlesque. I love "so-bad-it's-good" movies like "Showgirls", but it looks like this one is too boring to even riff on.

Thanks, Todd!

I don't know if the link was posted recently or at all so here it is:

http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/burlesque-a-movie-review/

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
I need to catch up on some Lupa. I love the sheer, unadulterated JOY she takes in bad flicks. We watch horrible movies sometimes on what she reviews like the Billy Owens (aka HARRY POTTER in Canada) movie. She reviews movies we can watch in a group setting rather than Brad's films with would be rather...uncomfortable.

Infamous Sphere- I forgot if you said you wanted to review only historical LGBTQ films, or all time periods? I haven't browsed all of your reviews, but a few that have popped into my head are Heavenly Creatures by Peter Jackson, I Can't Think Straight, a sort of Bollywood film.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Infamous Sphere posted:

I review LGBTQ movies, AND period dramas. Sometimes there's an overlap, but I review stuff with a modern setting as well. I haven't yet gotten around Heavenly Creatures, since I've been a little apprehensive about lesbian murderers and all - and I haven't really looked into I Can't Think Straight. I watched an Indian movie with a lesbian character in it, Turning 30!!!, but that was one of the most dull movies I've ever seen in my life. I've got a few movies cooking around that I'd like to look at, and that I'm going to be reviewing - and I am making a bit of a concerted effort to have more female LGBT stuff there, but there's a few male LGBT flicks I'm going to be looking at too. There's one where Kyle MacLachlan plays the spirit of Cary Grant, and I'm watching Twin Peaks right now and enjoying the presence of the MacLachlan far too much, so I should probably give that one a watch. I also watched the Liberace movie, but I won't be touching that one since I don't have much to say about it that couldn't be summed up in a sentence (wow, Liberace, you narcissistic, hypocritical man.) It all just depends on time pressures, what scripts I have shelved, what time I have to film etc.

Ugh, the Liberace movie was so awful, and boring to boot. Such an interesting person and such a crappy mini-series.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Jesto posted:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vi...e-rings-moments

Let's see, inserting the whole "Sam and Frodo showed unwavering loyalty, friendship and kindness towards one another! Men don't act that way! That's romance, which means gay!" thing that dictates that male friends can only treat each other so well before they have to be gay. And then "Eagles! Stop making up excuses why they couldn't use them!", even though the eagles couldn't have fought off all the ringwraith flying dragon monsters - especially with the Ringwrath Leader still alive.

That was a fairly annoying top 11. Though I'm fairly sure he chose that title and those specific complaints to incite nerdrage for more hits. I'm more disappointed than anything that he went down the 'gay' route.

How much nerd-rage will this incite? I don't know if I can even watch this if it's so pandering and stupid to stoop to going to call Sam and Frodo gay and using such a recycled opinion of "just use the eagles" or "just use Tom Bombadil" (I know he's not in the movie).

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Apology if this is a repost, but has anyone watched Bennet's "Top 20 Worst Number One Songs"?: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/the-sage/specials/40199-the-top-20-worst-number-one-songs

It's pretty long at over an hour, but he did his research.

It strikes me how young he is! Only 23!

It's so weird to me that he didn't grow up with Thriller and only associates MJ with pedo jokes and the Simpsons. I also unabashedly love Bryan Adams "Everything I Do (I Do It For You) because of the Robin Hood movie, and like Lionel Richie's "Hello".

He really hates soft rock, which I just really don't find offensive enough to hate.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Infamous Sphere posted:

Really good, conscise episode once again! I was actually thinking about recording my episode on The Talented Mr Ripley soon, because it was on the shelf, but I think I might be looking at something else next episode instead. In my last episode, on Blue Velvet, I mentioned the difference between "evil gay characters" (as in their homosexuality is added to make them seem more..creepy), and characters who are evil/horrible, and just happen to be LGBT, but Rantasmo raises another point - characters whose morally awful nature is almost understandable, due to the awful situation in which they find themselves in. I'd say the character who's the most like this currently would be Thomas on Downton Abbey, who definitely has his fair share of nasty, jerkish moments, but has been systemically marginalised and will never be accepted for what he is.

And yeah, that swimsuit really is something else.

I love the Talented Mr. Ripley for several reasons, most of which have to do with Jude Law. There are also several incredible actors in that movie. I'd love to see you review that movie, Infamous Sphere.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
I can't remember if I asked this in this thread already, but does Linkara ever review any Vertigo or Dark Horse comics like Buffy, Fables or the (former) Hellblazer? I would have loved to hear his take on them moving Hellblazer from Vertigo to DC Comics (essentially taking an "R" rated character and making him "PG").

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

cubs2084 posted:

Guess I'm the only one who watched Nostalgia Critic's Les Miserables review, eh? It was pretty good stuff. I'm glad he paired with Paw and Oancitizen, as both know what they're talking about when it comes to music and theatrical/artsy stuff. All three combined to give a pretty balanced view on the film. The musical bits were pretty solid, and Linkara's part in particular had me in stitches. I wish Oan would sing more. Between this episode and the occasions when he's sung in his own series, the man can really carry a tune.

Watched it last night with the husband, which is always interesting, since my husband is an opera singer and extremely snobby about musicals. We both enjoyed the review. Linkara and Todd were hysterical. That goddamn fish noise out of Colm Wilkonson's mouth had me crying.

Honestly, it is a great review people should check out.

Platypus bunny.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Rap Critic is really good actually, even if you don't follow the genre. I don't follow pop music trends either, but I like Todd, so I gave Rap Critic a try, and he's very enjoyable.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

dijon du jour posted:

A talking cat review!?!!??!?!

I love that A Talking Cat!?! could truthfully have "By the director of Bikini Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-A-Rama" on its box cover.

I love this movie so much. This review was great, and I'm glad they included the scanning in of clothing using a book light, and the sick cat draped with bandages. My favorite parts!

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Benne posted:

Why the gently caress are comic book writers so obsessed with rape?

It's usually a lazy way to provoke reactions and give the male character something to angst about while the female character's arc is disregarded.

Did that sound bitter?

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Miss Wallace posted:

Many lessons about friendship were learned.

Only through the elimination of violence can we truly achieve world peace.

Lupa, have you ever done "Rock and Roll Zombies"? It's a great flick.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Ah, Lupa. My husband and I were bugging our cat and he started saying "A TALKING CAAAT" just like you.

Maybe you had to be there, but I died laughing.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

mind the walrus posted:

I vaguely remember this. Does anyone have more? I don't mean to be a dirt-digging gossiper, but I totally am.

http://diamandahagan.wordpress.com/2013/01/21/magfest-incident/

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

VodeAndreas posted:

Random Patreon question: Does it deduct all your pledges for a month separately or does it do it in one transaction?

I haven't used the service yet but am wary of international transaction fees etc. if it does 5 separate transactions (which is probably easier for them to track)

It charges you based on the number of patron posts the person does at the end of the month. So if you pledged 1.00 a post and they make 4 posts, you get charged 4.00 at the end. Not four 1.00 charges.

Oh, just noticed Lindsay has a straight 2.00 a month fee.

Leelee fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Doug reviews The Monster Squad! http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/45206-monster-squad

I LOVE this movie to bits. I haven't kept up with his reviews at all, and it was a fun one to jump back in with.

• Locked thread